Home

 Biographies Index  

Contacts

 

California Genealogy and History Archives

Biographies
of
Sacramento County

 

FRANK J. BETHEL, D. D. S.

Familiarity with every department of dentistry brings to Dr. Bethel an enviable position not only in the city of Sacramento, but also throughout the entire valley. Enjoying early educational advantages of a high order, he supplemented these by later independent researches and thus gained a critical knowledge of his chosen profession. Indeed, it may be stated with justice that he owes his splendid mental attainments to self-culture rather than to university training, although he received exceptional advantages in one of the most popular state educational institutions of the central west. Not content to be only a practitioner of past methods, he has continued to be a diligent student of dental progress and has kept in touch with every modern phase of development in the science. As a result of years of intense application, supplementing an active practice and broad experience, he has become a specialist of note and is accorded an unsurpassed reputation as a diagnostician in dentistry.

Born in Mapleton, Bourbon county, Kans., June 13, 1868, Dr. Bethel passed the days of youth in his native county, where he attended the public schools of Fort Scott. Very early in life his aspirations were turned toward the dental profession. It became his ambition to acquire a practical knowledge of the science. With that object in view he matriculated in the Iowa State University at Iowa City and there continued his studies until he graduated in 1890 with the degree of D.D.S. The first two years of experience were gained while engaging in practice at Denver, Colo., from which city he came to California and opened an office at Bakersfield. During the five and one-half years of his residence in that city he built up a large practice and won a high reputation for professional skill. A later identification with San Francisco was followed in 1903 by removal to Seattle, Wash., where he engaged in practice for six years and meanwhile won an enviable standing among his confreres in that growing city of the northwest. During 1909 he established the organization known as the United Dentists, of which he since has officiated as president and which ranks among the leading professional organizations of Sacramento. In its creation the principal object in view was the giving of skilled, efficient and satisfactory service to patrons at reasonable prices, and this has been the secret of the growing business and enviable reputation.

During the previous period of the Doctor's residence in California he was honored with an appointment. May 28, 1901, by Governor Henry T. Gage as a member of the state board of dental examiners, and he continued to devote considerable time and attention to the duties of the office until 1903, when the necessity of superintending some interests and investments in the state of Washington caused him to remove to Seattle, and he then resigned from the position. Throughout his active life, notwithstanding the pressing duties associated with professional practice and continued study, he has found leisure for co-operation with Masonic activities and also has been a leading local worker with the Elks. While not connected with any denomination, he is in sympathy with Christian efforts and has contributed frequently to movements for the religious and moral upbuilding of the community, as well as to such measures as will advance local educational interests. The Republican party has had tlie benefit of his ballot in national elections, but his interest in public affairs has not developed a partisan spirit or a desire for office, being rather that of the progressive and public-spirited citizen, whose aim is the advancement of his city along every worthy line of progress. 


Source:
History of Sacramento County, California
Biographical Sketches of The Leading Men and Women of the County Who Have Been Identified With Its Growth and Development from the Early Days to the Present
History By: William L. Willis
Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, California (1913)

Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011