California Genealogy and History Archives
typical American of the best class is a fitting description of Alden W.
Campbell of Sacramento, who has reached a high place in public esteem as
an architect and an artist along professional lines. Mr. Campbell was
born in Boulder, Colo., in 1875, a son of William R. and Lydia E.
(Wilson) Campbell, natives respectively of Canada and of Michigan. In
1877 William R. Campbell brought his family to California and locating
in Sacramento went into the planing-mill business and built up a large
factory which supplied an extensive demand for builder's materials.
his parents brought him to Sacramento, Alden W. Camp- bell was about two
years old. He was educated in public schools and in night schools and
took special courses with the International Correspondence Schools of
Scranton, Pa., receiving his diploma in complete architecture. While he
was studying in the night school, to hasten his preparation to enter his
chosen field of labor, he participated in several architectural-drawing
competitions and won several medals offered by the State Architectural
Society. The first was awarded him in 1894 and he was the recipient of
others in 1895, 1896, 1899, 1900 and 1902. When he was sixteen years old
he entered upon a three years' term of employment with that veteran
California builder, Silas Carle, whose operations extended throughout
the state. Later in the employ of the Sacramento Planing Mills he gained
in two years an intimate practical knowledge of woodworking and interior
finish. In 1897-1902 he was in the civil service department in the
post-office building, and in his spare time he devoted himself to
professional study and prepared plans for fine residences in Sacramento,
among them being residences for Dr. Hart, Henry Nicolaus, Jr., A. L.
Crane, Walter L. Rennie and Peter Roemer, also for T. G. Schmeiser of
Davis and F. E. Gilmore of Red Bluff. He is now established in his own
office at Thirty-fourth and J streets, and has drawn plans for numerous
fine houses and apartment buildings; he has on file important contracts
for execution in the near future. He is a member .of San Francisco
Chapter of the American Institute of Architects and is a member of the
Sacramento Architectural League.
Mr. Campbell was married in Sacramento November 27th, 1906, to Miss Ellen Klotz, who was born in this city and was a graduate of the Sacramento high school. She was a teacher in the public schools for several years. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell are the parents of three children, Eleanor, William and Dudley. Mr. Campbell was made a Mason in Washington Lodge No. 14, F. & A. M., and is also a thirtieth degree Scottish Eite member. He is a past patron of Columbus Chapter, No. 117, O. E. S., of which Mrs. Campbell is a member, and he is also a member of Capital Lodge No. 87, I. O. O. F. Both he and his wife are numbered in the membership of Capitol City Rebekah Lodge No. 160, and he is a member of Court Capital, F. of A. Mrs. Campbell is member of the Native Daughters of the Golden West. Active in the East Sacramento Improvement Club, where he has large property interests and where his beautiful residence is located, Mr. Campbell has served the club as president and has been very instrumental in fostering movements for the building up and beautifying of that section of the state capital. He was a member of a committee of thirty that carried to victory the annexing of the suburbs, thus changing the population from forty-five hundred to seven thousand. He is an active member of Sacramento Chamber of Commerce. He is Republican in his politics and his geniality and public spirit make him popular with his fellow citizens of all classes.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011