Home

 Biographies Index  

Contacts

 

California Genealogy and History Archives

Biographies
of
Sacramento County

 

JEREMIAH CARROLL

Many successive generations of the Carroll family lived and died in Ireland. Notwithstanding the intense struggle to earn from the soil the barest necessities of existence they exhibited a tenacious devotion to their native land. The patriotism characteristic of the true Celt was in their blood. The cheerful humor of the race showed itself in the optimism which enabled them to rise above the darkest blows of fate. There came a time, however, when a young man determined to avail himself of the opportunity offered by America. Crossing the ocean to Massachusetts he there learned the trade of a stone-cutter. After a sojourn of some years in the old Bay state, where he married, he returned to Ireland in 1859 and followed farming. A son was born in county Cork November 29, 1860, and to him was given the name of the father, Jeremiah. The infant was only one month old when the family came to America and settled in Massachusetts, where again the stone-cutter found employment at his chosen occupation. Another removal was made in the year 1866, at which time California was selected as the destination and Sacramento as the site of the future home. For a considerable period the father worked for others, but meanwhile he carefully hoarded his frugal savings and thus was enabled in 1878 to embark in business for himself. For two years he had his place of business on Sixth street between J and K. From there he removed to No. 808 K street, where he carried on business for eight years. During 1888 he moved to Tenth and S streets, where he had his headquarters for eight years. When finally the infirmities of age rendered further work unadvisable he retired to private life, but remained a resident of Sacramento until his death, which occurred in 1903. As a youth in the old country he had been a devoted Catholic and he gave steadfast allegiance to that church throughout the balance of his life.

The family of Jeremiah Carroll, Sr., and wife, the latter of whom died two years prior to the demise of her husband, comprised five children, of whom two daughters are now deceased and two daughters still survive, namely: Mary, who is the wife of D. J. Considine, of Sacramento, and Margaret. The only son in the family, Jeremiah, Jr., received his education in the grammar and high schools of Sacramento. When quite young he began to learn the trade of stone-cutting under Devine Bros., of Sacramento. After he had been with them for three years his father took up the same line of business and he entered his employ, remaining in the same position for eleven years. His next venture was the opening of a stone quarry in Placer county, Cal., and this he operated for a number of years. Upon returning to Sacramento he secured employment with the state as superintendent of stone work on the capitol park, and for eighteen months he engaged in the construction work on stairways. When the contract had been completed he returned to Placer county and resumed the operation of the quarry, also taking contracts for stone work. At the expiration of three busy years he left Placer county and went to Cascade Locks, on the Columbia river, where for two years he was retained as foreman for the Day Construction Company in the construction of the locks for the canal. With the completion of that responsible task in 1895 he returned to Sacramento and here he has since engaged in business for himself, first having his headquarters at No. 1902 Tenth street and after the death of his father removing to his present location, No. 2431 Tenth street, where he has one of the most modern marble-cutting plants in all of Northern California.

From early manhood Mr. Carroll has been interested in public affairs and active in politics as a member of the Democratic party. When only twenty-three years of age he was chosen as secretary of the Democratic central committee and since then he has frequently aided the local progress of his preferred political organization. Reared in the Roman Catholic faith, he always has been sincere in his allegiance to the church and generous in his offerings to its maintenance. His wedding was the first solemnized in the Sacramento Cathedral after its completion and he and his family have been especially interested in that church, not only for this reason, but also because of their large circle of friends in the congregation and their earnest devotion to its missionary and charitable enterprises. The marriage to which reference has been made occurred August 18, 1889, the bride being Miss Catherine O'Keefe, of Prairie City, Sacramento county, daughter of Michael and Mary O'Keefe, natives of Ireland. His wife died in 189.3, leaving three children, and he suffered a further deep bereavement in the loss of one of their daughters, Mary, who died at the age of three years. The surviving daughter, Catherine, is employed in one of the large department stores of Sacramento, and the son, Charles, is an employe of Baker & Hamilton, a wholesale firm of this city. 


Source:
History of Sacramento County, California
Biographical Sketches of The Leading Men and Women of the County Who Have Been Identified With Its Growth and Development from the Early Days to the Present
History By: William L. Willis
Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, California (1913)

Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011