California Genealogy and History Archives
San Bernardino County and Riverside County
R. T. CLYDE, who is the owner of one of the excellent farm properties of the Yucaipa Valley in San Bernardino County, reclaimed and developed this property from a barren state and has the satisfaction of knowing that he has aided in the civic and industrial development of his native county. His attractive rural home is on rural mail route No. 2 from Yucaipa post office.
Mr. Clyde is a representative of one of the old and honored pioneer families of San Bernardino County, and in this county his birth occurred at the old pioneer homestead of the family near Base Line on the 20th of May, 1864. He is a son of Edward Prentice Clyde and Mary (Singleton) Clyde, the former of whom was born in New York, a member of a sterling pioneer family of that state, and the latter of whom was born in England, she having been a girl when her parents came to the United States and settled in Philadelphia. Edward P. Clyde was born in the year 1833, and was reared under the conditions that marked the pioneer days in New York. In early youth he became a member of a party of horsemen who made the overland trip from New York to Utah Territory, where he gained pioneer honors and where he remained several years. In 1852, when the early gold excitement was still at its height in California, Mr. Clyde compassed the journey across the plains and mountains to this state. He arrived in the spring of that year at San Bernardino, and for a time he worked for his board, not more remunerative occupation being available. After crops were garnered, however, he found work in connection with the threshing of grain, and this paid him better. In this county was solemnized his marriage with Miss Mary Singleton, who came to California from Utah, where she had lived for some time, she having crossed the plains in the early days, when her parents made the journey from Philadelphia to Utah with ox team.
In 1854 Edward P. Clyde purchased land in the Base Line District of San Bernardino County, and this he eventually developed into a productive farm, his having been the honor of being one of the pioneer exponents of agricultural industry in the county, and his standing as a citizen having been of the highest, as he was a man of industry and honest worth and commanded the unqualified esteem of the community in which he lived and labored to goodly ends. Both he and his wife passed the remainder of their lives on the old homestead farm, Mrs. Clyde having been about sixty-eight years of age at the time of her death, and he having attained to the venerable age of eighty-three years. He was one of the oldest settlers of San Bernardino County at the time of his death in 1911. Of the three children of these sterling pioneers the subject of this review is the youngest William R., the eldest son, was born May 16, 1860, and is now a resident of Redland, California. He married Miss Fannie Haws, of San Bernardino, and they have one child. Hazel. George E., the second son, was born in September, 1861, and he and his wife, whose maiden name was Ella Cooley, still reside in San Bernardino County. They have no children.
The conditions and influences of the pioneer farm of his father near Base Line compassed the childhood and youth of Rufus T. Clyde, and his early education was acquired in the schools of the locality and period. He continued to be associated with his father in farm enterprise until his marriage, and his father then presented to him ten acres of land in the Base Line locality. This little tract did not long satisfy the energetic and ambitious ideas of Mr. Clyde, and in 1891 he purchased 100 acres of railroad land in the Yucaipa Valley, at the rate of $2.50 an acre. The tract was without improvements and no water was available for irrigation purposes, Mr. Clyde having decided to operate the place in the raising of grain by the system of socalled dry farming. Better conditions were grained, however, when he added to the area of his landed estate by the purchase of 160 acres of hill land in the same locality, his principal reason for this action having been that he thus obtained the water from two small springs on the property, three miles distant from his original farm. He piped the water through to his farm for stock and domestic use, and he has since developed an effective water system for irrigation through the medium of a well and an electric-pumping plant. He has his land all leveled and his development work has included the planting of deciduous trees for the raising of various fruits, as well as an excellent orchard of English walnuts. He has many acres given to the successful propagation of alfalfa. Mr. Clyde has taken active part in the splendid development enterprise which has made this section available for the successful producing of apples, cherries, peaches and pears, and his farm property is thus assured of continued appreciation in value. The land which he purchased from the railroad at $2.50 an acre is now conservatively valued at $350 an acre. The situation of the pleasant home of Mr. Clyde and his family is ideal, with an excellent view of the mountains and of the beautiful Yucaipa Valley. Mr. Clyde has prospered in his industrial activities in his native county, takes pride in the manifold advantages and attractions which this section of the state affords, and as a citizen is specially loyal and public-spirited, though he has had no desire for political activity or public office.
On the 3d of March, 1888, was recorded the marriage of Mr. Clyde and Miss Geneva V. Haws, who was born in the same district of San Bernardino County as was he, the date of her nativity having been April 4, 1870. Mrs. Clyde is a daughter of the late Marion and Maletna Haws, who came across the plains with ox team and became early settlers in this county, where the father became a substantial farmer of the Base Line District. Mr. and Mrs. Clyde have one son, Robert S., who was born March 2, 1890, and who is now a partner with his father in the fruit-growing enterprise of the home place. His educational 'advantages included those of the public schools of Yucaipa and a business college in the City of San Bernardino.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011