California Genealogy and History Archives
San Bernardino County and Riverside County
SAM P. COY — The professional intimates of Sam P. Coy, of Colton, unhesitatingly place him among the efficient and resourceful general practitioners at tifie bar of San Bernardino County, and he is equally at home in every department, whether civil or criminal, common law or chancery, real estate or corporation law. Because of this breadth of eminence he has earned a firm place as one of the leading lawyers of Southern California. Throughout his life he has been an associate of great lawyers and prominent business men, and is one of the ideal gentlemen in private life, a man of remarkable mental strength, and of unassuming courtesy. He is now acting as attorney for the Colton National Bank, in addition to carrying on his extensive general civil and criminal practice, and discharging the duties of a public spirited citizen which are somewhat onerous for he has a high sense of civic responsibility.
Sam P. Coy was born at Highland, December 28, 1887, a son of Louis I. and Mary J. Coy, the former of whom was tax collector of San Bernardino County, and died while serving for the third term in that office. After being graduated from the San Bernardino High School in 1905, Sam P. Coy attended Pomona College for a year, and then, from 1907 to 1909 he was a student of the University of California. His professional training was secured in the law department of the University of Southern California, which he attended from 1911 to 1914, and he was graduated there from in the latter year with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. From 1909 to 1911 Mr. Coy was in the employ of the Santa Fe Railroad at San Bernardino as timekeeper and bonus inspector, but with that exception his attention has been given to the law, in which he began his practice at San Bernardino in 1914 as a partner of Grant Holcomb. The firm of Holcomb & Coy was associated with Hon. Byron Watters in the practice of the law at San Bernardino from 1914 until 1917 when Mr. Coy entered the army in Young Men's Christian Association work. In September, 1919, he purchased the practice of N. L. Watt, at Colton, and since that date has been engaged in the practice of his profession in that city.
During the late war, Mr. Coy served as secretary in the Army Young Men' Christian Association, and was building secretary for the association at the United States Army Aviation Camp at North Island, San Diego, California. He has rendered an efficient public service, having been a member of the Board of Education of the city schools of San Bernardino during 1916 and 1917, and president of the Colton Chamber of Commerce during 1920 and 1921. An active republican, Mr. Coy was central committeeman for San Bernardino County during 1920. He belongs to the Native Sons of the Golden West, Arrowhead Parlor No. 110, San Bernardino; Colton Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; San Bernardino Lodge No. 836, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; Del Ray Club, University of California; Delta Chi Fraternity, University of Southern California, and is popular in all of these organizations. Mr. Coy affiliates with the Congregational Church of San Bernardino.
Mr. Coy's success has been thorough and normal, but only a mind of unusual strength, backed by a persistent grasp and broad sweep of abilities can earn signal appreciations from the profession and public alike, in a field already crowded with keen competitors, and at the same time retain fresh and balanced faculties for the consideration and advancement of great public and social problems. The character of Mr. Coy is cast in no ordinary mould as is proven by the fact that he stands among the leading lawyers of his time and community, and has achieved a wide-spread reputation as a clear and broad exponent of many of the vital questions of the day now agitating thoughtful citizens.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011