California Genealogy and History Archives
president of the California Fruit Exchange ranks among the most
experienced and progressive fruit-growers in the valley of the
Sacramento and in his official capacity he is giving to other horti-
culturists the benefit of his practical experience with deciduous
fruits. For a period of twelve years, beginning in 1898 and continuing
until 1910, he held the office of horticultural commissioner. His
efficient discharge of official duties was a matter of general comment
and prepared the way for later association with kindred activities. With
keen patriotic devotion he devotes himself to the horticultural
upbuilding of his native commonwealth. It has been his steadfast
endeavor to promote the fruit industry in the state, to secure better
conditions, to correct evils and to raise the kind of fruit adapted to a
particular locality. Any progress made in the industry is a cause of
gratification not only to him, but to all interested in the business.
from remote English ancestry and from Revolutionary stock, George H.
Cutter was born in San Francisco November 22, 1863, and is a son of R.
S. and Jennie E. Cutter, the former a native of Jefferson county, N. H.,
and the latter born in Belfast, Me. As early as 1853 the father
accompanied an expedition of Argonauts to California, where for some
time he engaged in mining with indifferent success. Coming to Sacramento
coimty in 1869 he took up land and began to develop a farm, but his
death four years later prevented the carrying out of his plans for
agricultural success. His widow still survives. Of their five children
the third, George H., received his education in public schools and at
Atkinson's Business College. Upon leaving school he engaged in farming
and always has been more or less interested in that occupation or allied
activities. In Sacramento, December 28, 1892, he married Miss Carrie M.
Curtis, a native of Sacramento and a daughter of William Curtis, one of
the earliest settlers in the Sacramento valley. Mr. and Mrs. Cutter have
one son, Curtis Harold.
At the time when his father-in-law, William Curtis, held the office of county supervisor, Mr. Cutter was appointed road master and for eight years bad charge of the building of roads, meanwhile constructing the first macadam road in the entire county. During the years 1894-95 he served as deputy assessor and from 1898 to 1910, as previously stated, he filled the office of horticultural commissioner with great efficiency. Upon the organization of the California Fruit Exchange he became a stockholder and director and now fills the office of president, discharging the manifold duties of the position with executive ability and unflagging zeal. Together with his brother he has added acreage to the old homestead and acquired large interests in other properties in the state. Mr. Cutter is also a public spirited citizen aiding those measures having for their object the permanent upbuilding not only of the city, but the whole of the Sacramento Valley.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011