Home

 Biographies Index  

Contacts

 

California Genealogy and History Archives

Biographies
of
Sacramento County

 

CHARLES KIRKPATRICK DAVIS

This prominent citizen of Isleton, Sacramento county, Cal., was born on his father's ranch in this county in 1861, was educated in the public schools and was early initiated into the mysteries of farming. Hugh Davis, his father, was born in Canada in 1834 and immigrated to Illinois, when sis years of age, and there grew to manhood. He came to California in 1855 and located in Sacramento county. About two years later he took up one hundred and seven and thirteen one-hundredths acres of government land where his son Charles K. now lives. In the early days no levee had been built to protect the lands thereabout from the encroachment of water, and Mr. Davis suffered seriously from the floods of 1861 and 1862. He died May 1, 1871, his widow in 1909.

It was on the ranch above referred to that Charles K. Davis was born. He married Hilda Johnson, a native of Sacramento county, Cal., and they have five children, Angle, Christene, Charles K. J., Marion and a child still unnamed. As a farmer he takes rank with the best in his vicinity. His principal crop is fruit, but he gives much attention to growing fine vegetables which invariably bring the highest market prices. Besides his ranch, he owns one hundred and seventeen acres of land near Walnut Grove. He has taken an interest in public affairs and been an active Republican. At different times he has filled township offices, notably those of roadmaster, tax assessor and member of the school board, and he is at this time and for years has been serving ably as a deputy sheriff. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Free and Accepted Masons. 


Source:
History of Sacramento County, California
Biographical Sketches of The Leading Men and Women of the County Who Have Been Identified With Its Growth and Development from the Early Days to the Present
History By: William L. Willis
Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, California (1913)

Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011