California Genealogy and History Archives
San Bernardino County and Riverside County
The FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF RIALTO has been serving that prosperous community for fifteen years, and in that time has grown to be one of the stronger banks of San Bernardino County.
It was organized in August, 1907, by E. D. Roberts, of San Bernardino, and commenced business February 3, 1908. This bank is a branch of the San Bernardino Savings Bank of San Bernardino. The first officers were E. D. Roberts, president; William Buxton, vice president; E. M. Lash, cashier. The bank started with a capital of $25,000.00, and was established in a bank building especially constructed for the purpose. The banking house is of concrete block construction, and has all the modern facilities. On the death of E. D. Roberts in August, 1920, a reorganization of the official personnel resulted in Richard E. Roberts becoming president, J. C. Boyd and Kenneth MacRae, vice presidents; E. M. Lash, cashier; and E. W. Presto, assistant cashier. In October, 1921, another change in officers took place, E. M. Lash becoming president, while J. C. Boyd and Kenneth MacRae are vice presidents ; E. W. Preston, cashier ; and J. E. McManis, assistant cashier.
Up to January 1, 1922, the original capital was still maintained. At that time the bank had accumulated $35,000 in surplus. In the annual meeting that followed the capital was increased to $50,000, leaving $10,000 surplus and $15,000 of undivided profits. At that date the total resources amounted to $540,000. In March, 1921, a burglar proof alarm system was installed at a cost of $4,000, and in the same month the new safety deposit vaults were completed. The First National Bank is a home institution, and fully a third of the most influential people in the community are stockholders.
The official of longest standing in the bank is Eber M. Lash, now president. Mr. Lash was born at Bloomville, Ohio, December 24, 1879, son of John B. and Nancy (Coyle) Lash, natives of Ohio and now deceased. His father was a minister of the Free Will Baptist Church and a graduate of Ohio University of Athens, Ohio. The mother of Mr. Lash was a graduate of Hillsdale College, at Hillsdale, Michigan. Eber M. Lash was also educated at Hillsdale College and practically throughout his career he has been identified with banking. He spent one year in a bank at Camden, Michigan, from 1903 to 1906 was connected with the First State Savings Bank of Hillsdale, Michigan, and then went to Cleveland, Ohio, as teller and bookkeeper in the Cleveland Trust Company where he remained about two years. With this training he came to California in 1908, and from the beginning has been the active official in the affairs of the First National Bank of Rialto.
Mr. Lash is a republican, is affiliated with San Bernardino Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Rialto Chamber of Commerce and Business Men's Association. December 24, 1905, he married Miss Laura J. Schoolcraft, of Hillsdale, Michigan. She died April 2, 1910, leaving one child, Lawrence Aubrey, who was born November 10, 1907. On November 20, 1911, Mr. Lash married Miss Lena Johnson, of Rialto, daughter of Charles N. and Anna (Tinkler) Johnson. They have a son, James Eber, born November 22, 1914. Mrs. Lash has been active in women's affairs in San Bernardino County. She attended the public schools of Rialto and the high school at San Bernardino, was queen of the San Bernardino Centennial celebration in 1910, and is a member of the Rialto Women's Club and the Christian Church.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011