California Genealogy and History Archives
San Bernardino County and Riverside County
RAYMOND CLYDE GERBER is all but a native California, a chemist by profession, was in the chemical warfare division during the World war, came out of hospital practically an invalid, and in two years has perfected and carried out the careful plans laid during his convalescence and now has one of the thoroughly organized and systematic dairy establishments in Southern California, supplying a high-grade of milk to several of the cities of San Bernardino County.
Mr. Gerber, whose home is at East Highlands, was born at Worthing, South Dakota, July 6, 1889, and a few months later his parents came to California. He is a son of Gotlieb and Mary A. Gerber, the former a native of Switzerland and the latter of Wisconsin. His father was a merchant. Both parents are now deceased. There were seven children : Henry G., who married Grace Jones and whose children are Neal, Loris and Lorna; Mrs. Louisa A. Leavitt, whose three children are Rossiter J., Donald and Mary Louise ; Mrs. May Moore, who died leaving a son, Dalton Moore; Mrs. Ida B. Spradling, who has one child, Frankie; Herbert J.; Mrs. Alyda R. Pollard, whose two sons are Robert G. and Raymond C. ; and Raymond Clyde Gerber, the seventh and youngest of the family.
Mr. Gerber was educated in the Redlands public schools, graduated from the University of Redlands in 1913, and after obtaining a high school teacher's certificate at the University of Southern California at Los Angeles went to the Philippine Islands and taught high school there during the years 1914-15-16. On returning to the United States he reentered the University of California, working toward the Master's degree and specializing in chemistry. In 1917 he became principal of the high school at Nogales, Arizona, and while there on December 14, 1917, volunteered in the Hospital Corps, was transferred as a chemist to the Sanitary Corps, and later entered the same branch as chemist with the Engineers Corps. Later he was made a chemist in the Chemical Warfare Service, Gas Division. After a period at Nogales Mr. Gerber was on duty for nine months at Washington, D. C, then was sent to the army gas school at Camp Humphrey and was engaged in training gas officers. While in the line of duty a gas bomb exploded and being seriously injured, was sent to the hospital at Camp Humphrey, and later to the Walter Reid at Washington, where he remained from September 13, 1918, until discharged from hospital and resumed civilian life April 26, 1919.
Mr. Gerber had steadily cherished a purpose even before going into the army and had drawn up plans for a model dairy. Almost immediately on his return from the army he set about to erect and equip such a dairy and ranch. His business is known as the Gerber Certified Dairy. This establishment, at the end of Orange Street, has thirty acres of land, planted to alfalfa and oranges, but the most interesting feature is the equipment and planning of the dairy itself. Mr. Gerber as a chemist has worked out to the utmost detail every feature that would insure the sanitary production and handling of milk. His certified milk department is the last word in that new and modern art of food production. In 1921 his plant stood second in raw milk production in average per cow and also in average per herd. In two years his business has increased six-fold over the original volume. He now furnishes Grade A raw milk to Redlands, San Bernardino, Highland and East Highland, and certified milk to Redlands, Colton, San Bernardino, Highland and the dining service of the Salt Lake Railway. Mr. Gerber is practical manager of the entire business, the ownership of which is vested in the Gerber estate.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011