California Genealogy and History Archives
San Bernardino County and Riverside County
NORMAN S. HAWES. — This veteran soldier of the Union has been identified with the citizenship of Riverside more than thirty years, and the business which he founded here is still continued by one of his sons.
Mr. Hawes was born at Reading, Hillsdale County, Michigan, October 28, 1842. His family name was written in the record of births as Hause, and it is said that when he was a boy of about fifteen he proposed to his father that they change the spelling to Hawes, which was done, though his uncles and other members of the family still continue the old spelling.
The record of the Hause family runs back to William Hause, who was born February 24, 1750. He married Martha Wood, who was born May 4, 1753, and died September 8, 1818. Of their fourteen children William Hause, Jr., was born November 22. 1781, and died January 2, 1825. April 7, 1804, he married Esther Sanford, who was born September 22, 1785. They were the parents of ten children. Of these Jesse J. Hause was born June 23, 1808, and married Sally Swarthout, who was born September 2, 1807. Heman C. Hause, a brother of Jesse J. Hause, was the father of the old soldier and Riverside resident. Heman C. Hause was born May 13, 1813, and died August 11, 1872. On November 26, 1832. he married Maria Elvira Bacon, who died May 20, 1852. The second wife of Heman Hause was Adaline L. Holt.
Norman S. Hawes was the fifth in a family of seven children. His brother Edward R. was a Union soldier and died in the service. Another brother, Andrew J., enlisted in the Eleventh Michigan, but was rejected on account of age, and subsequently enlisted in the Seventeenth Michigan Infantry and served until discharged on account of disability. He finally joined Battery D of the First Michigan Light Artillery, and was in service until the close of the war.
Norman S. Hawes received his education in the schools of Litchfield, Michigan, and the country schools of Branch County, and Was identified with the work of his father's farm until he joined the army in September. 1861. His military service is compiled from the official account drawn up by the Soldiers and Sailors Historical and Benevolent Society. He was a member of the famous First Regiment. Michigan Light Artillery Battery D, under command of Capt. Josiah W. Church and known as Church's Battery. Norman Hawes enlisted September 17, 1861. from Branch County to serve three years. He was mustered in at White Pigeon, Michigan, September 17th as a private in Battery D, commanded successively by Capt. William W. Andrews, Capt. Alonza F. Bidwell and Capt. Josiah W. Church. This battery was organized in White Pigeon and mustered in September 17th and attached to the Fourteenth Army Corps. It was on duty at Camp Robinson and Louisville, Kentucky, until January, 1862, and then went by l)oat down the Ohio and up the Cumberland to Spring Hill, south of Nashville, Tennessee. Mr. Hawes was taken ill and sent home on a discharged furlough, but rejoined his battery after the battle of Stone River in the concluding days of the year 1862. The battery was then ordered to Triune, where it remained several months, until the advance of Rosecrans on Chattanooga. The first engagement on his return was at Hoover's Gap and then at Winchester, Tennessee, where the raiment remained a few weeks. Then crossing the Tennessee River at Stevenson, Alabama, it advanced over Lookout Mountain down into the Chickamauga Valley. In September 1863, the battery was assigned to the First Brigade, Third Division. It reached Growers Ford on the Chickamauga September 18th and participated in the great battle of that name on the following day, rendering conspicuous service, no battery in that memorable battle being handled more skillfully or doing greater execution. The battery occupied Fort N^ley at Chattanooga. In November following the battery assisted in shelling the enemy on Lookout Mountain when General Hooker was advancing across the face of the mountain, and also participated in the assault on Missionary Ridge November 25th. From March until December, following the battery was at Murfreesboro, Tennessee, and then was sent back to Nashville, Tennessee, where they remained in camp during the winter. The following spring they marched to Murfreesboro and occupied Fort Rosecrans during the remainder of the war.
Norman S. Hawes was in all the engagements of his battery excepting the time he was in the hospital and at home and was always at his post of duty and achieved a gallant record for meritorious service and soldierly conduct. He left the battery at Columbia, Tennessee, and was in the hospital, later at Nashville, and was furloughed home and after recovering reported at Detroit and rejoined the battery at Murfreesboro. At Louisville, while in drill, he was injured when a team fell on him, causing injury to neck and spine which has ever since affected him. For a time he was a nurse in the smallpox hospital at Louisville. His certificate of honorable discharge was dated at Nashville, September 17, 1864.
After leaving the army Mr. Hawes returned to Butler. Michigan, and helped his uncle complete a school building. A teacher being needed for the school, he took the examination and, passing the highest marks of all the applicants, was given the school and at the end of the year was complimented by the board for having the most orderly and best attended school in the district. Following that he took a high school teacher's course at Coldwater, and following that was given a school in Quincy Township of Branch County. His pupils stood high in the usual branches and he was especially commended for his classes in singing and debating. He taught another term at Butler and then went on the road as a salesman selling sewing machines, and had a store at Hillsdale, Michigan. Later he went on the road for the firm of Whitney & Currier of Toledo, Ohio, selling organs and pianos. That was his business for fifteen years, and in 1888 Mr. Hawes came to Riverside and opened an establishment of his own in the Tetley Hotel Block, selling pianos and other musical instruments, sewing machines and bicycles. He prospered, and with increasing business moved his quarters to the Frederick Block, and continued there until he retired, since which time the business has been conducted by his son, H. W. Hawes.
Mr. Hawes is an honored member of Riverside Post No. 118. Department of California and Nevada, Grand Army of the Republic, and was elected senior vice commander of his post for 1915 and commander in 1916. He is affiliated with the Masonic Order and the Fraternal Aid Association.
In Branch County, Michigan, April 2, 1866, Mr. Hawes married Miss Sarah A. Dickerson. Her father, Alonzo Dickerson, and her brothers, Joseph and Melvin M. Dickerson, were also Union soldiers in Michigan regiments. Mrs. Hawes was an invalid for many years of her life, passing away December 19, 1920. She was born May 31, 1849. Mr. and Mrs. Hawes had four children. The oldest, Flora Winifred, was born March 6, 1867, and died November 5, 1888. Harry Wilford Hawes, successor to his father's business, was born December 20, 1868, and on November 1, 1900, married Minnie L. Stratton, born September 28, 1872. Their three children are named Ethel Winifred, born February 5, 1902; Lillian Josephine, born March 6, 1905, and Harold Wilford, bom January 13, 1910.
The second son of Mr. Hawes is Frederick Norman, who was born April 17, 1872. February 1, 1898, he married Alice Belle Hersey, who was born July 27, 1875. They are the parents of a son, James Hersey Hawes, born October 24, 1908.
The youngest son, Roy Currier Hawes, was born January 8, 1877, and on May 19, 1900, married Annabel Allen, who was born January 28, 1877. Their four children were: Wilford Allen, born March 31, 1901, and died August 25th of the same year; Roland Cyril, born October 4, 1908; Sarah Elizabeth, born December 4, 1911, and Norman Worth Hawes, born November 1, 1914.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011