California Genealogy and History Archives
|Col. Louis W. Juilliard
No name in Santa Rosa is suggestive of a broader or more resourceful citizenship than that of Col. L. W. Juilliard, one of the prominent representatives of the legal fraternity in Sonoma county. To begin with, he inherits from an enviable ancestry a sound constitution, a broad mind and a stout heart, all of which have contributed to the fashioning of his very successful career. On the paternal side he comes of French ancestry, his father, Charles F. Juilliard, being a native of that country, and it was he and the latter’s father who established the name in this country in 1836. From Ohio, where these immigrants settled, the younger man came to California during the famous year of 1849, and thus the name became established on the Pacific coast, and later identified with a number of mining undertakings in California. In young manhood C. F. Juilliard had formed domestic ties by his marriage with Sarah A. Chilton, the daughter of Major Chilton, a native of Springfield. Ill.
The eldest surviving child born of the marriage of Charles F. and Sarah A. (Chilton) Juilliard was Louis W. Juilliard, his birth occurring in Red Bluff, Tehama county, June 29, 1861. His education was completed in Santa Rosa, Sonoma county, whither the family came to make their home when he was eleven years of age. Here, in addition to attending the public schools, he also attended business college and the pacific Methodist College. Nature had intended him for a public career, and opportunity to occupy a niche of this character came to him at the early age of twenty-three years, when he was made deputy county clerk, a position which he filled for five years. On the Democratic ticket, in 1888, he was elected county clerk, and at the expiration of his first term was re-elected to the position in 1890. Coming before the public in these capacities, however, was not the height of his ambition and proved but stepping stones in the career which later was his. The study of the law and its practice was his highest ambition, and while the incumbent of the positions mentioned he employed his leisure time in reading law with the well-known lawyers, Henley, Whipple & Oates. The year 1895 witnessed his admission to the bar of the supreme court of the state, and shortly afterward he opened an office for the practice of law in Santa Rosa. His versatile ability and popularity have been the means of his election as a delegate to many state and county conventions, and for one term, in 1894 and 1895, he served on the city board of education. It was during his incumbency of this office that the Santa Rosa high school was built. The title of colonel came to him through his connection with the National Guard of California, with which he became associated in 1885, July 10 of that year he was instrumental in organizing Company E, of which he was elected first lieutenant, later captain, and then major, greater honors, however, coming to him by his election as lieutenant-colonel of the Fifth Regiment California Infantry. This regiment did meritorious service at the time of the fire and earthquake in San Francisco in the spring of 1906, a service which deserved and received the praise and commendation of Californians in all parts of the state. Since 1907 Colonel Juilliard has been on the retired list, but his heart and sympathy are still in the work in which he found so much pleasure. No sooner was he released from one obligation than another need was found for his ability, as was apparent when in 1908 he was elected a member of the California legislature from the Fourteenth assembly district on the Democratic ticket and in 1910 he was elected State Senator by a very flattering majority. Here as in every other position that he has been called upon to fill he is acquitting himself nobly and honorably. Fraternally he is identified with a number of orders, being a Knight Templar Mason, a member of Santa Rosa Lodge No. 57, F. & A. M., the Chapter, the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. By right of his birth in the state he is eligible to membership in and is a member of the Native Sons, and during one term he served as Grand Treasurer of this body, and also as Grand Marshal for two terms.
None of the attractions of public life, however, take the place in Colonel Juilliard’s heart as does his quiet vineyard or ranch near Santa Rosa. Here he finds rest and relaxation and the rejuvenation necessary to carry on the work which his profession and public duties lay upon him.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011