California Genealogy and History Archives
|Edwin E. Mann
From an agricultural standpoint Edwin E. Mann ranks among the substantial and reliable residents of Blucher valley, Sonoma county. He is a son of Henry W. and Mary J. (Small) Mann, the former of whom was born March 24, 1817, in Columbiana county, Ohio. Although reared in a farming community, his tastes did not lie in the direction of agriculture, and after finishing his education in the public schools near his boyhood home he took up the study of medicine with Dr. David Silvers in his native county. In order to earn the means with which to complete his professional training he taught school, and in so doing was enabled to take a finishing course in Rush Medical College, in Chicago, from which well-known institution he received his diploma. Returning to Ohio, he practiced his profession first in Uniontown and later in Greensburg, and subsequently, while a resident and practitioner in Fulton county, Ind., he also filled the office of county treasurer for two terms. Throughout his mature years he had been a member and active worker in the Presbyterian Church, and for many years served in the capacity of elder. He passed away in Rochester, Ind., January 20, 1864.
Henry W. Mann had been three times married, his first marriage occurring in 1842 and uniting him with Miss Susan Alt, who survived her marriage but a short time. His second marriage, December 28, 1844, was with Miss Mary J. Small, who at her death four years later, February 24, 1849, left one son, Edwin E., the subject of this review. Dr. Mannís third marriage was celebrated May 29, 1850, uniting him with Miss Sarah M. Chinn.
The only child of his fatherís second marriage, Edwin E. Mann was born in Rochester, Fulton county, Ind., February 9, 1847. His education was acquired in the schools of that city, and there he was still a pupil when he decided to lay down his books and do his part in the defense of the north, in the Civil war. He was only seventeen years old when he joined the Twenty-fifth Indiana Battery, Light Artillery, in which he served under Captain Storm for one year, during this time participating in the battle at Nashville, Tenn. After the expiration of the term of his enlistment he re-enlisted in the Regular Army as a member of the Twenty-first United States Infantry at Louisville, Ky. Under General Crook he was assigned to duty in Arizona in subduing the Indian uprisings, and there as in his former service won commendation from his superiors for gallant and meritorious service. He was mustered out at Camp Grant, Ariz., in 1866, and instead of returning to Indiana he came to California and this has been his home ever since. Going to the San Joaquin valley, his first experience in the state was as a hop-grower, in which business he was associated with John Neal for five years. Subsequently he was in the employ of the Oakland and Sacramento Street Railroad Company, with headquarters at Oakland, and still later lived for a time at San Jose, Santa Clara county, and Ferndale, Humboldt county. It was with an experience of some length in all of these various localities that he came to Sonoma county in 1885 and became interested in a hop ranch north of Sebastopol. His next move brought him to Blucher valley, where he now resides on sixty acres of fine land which he rents. The raising of blackberries and fruit forms his specialty, and that he is making a success of the undertaking is best told in the statement that during the season of 1909 he gathered thirty-eight tons of berries and twenty tons of dried apples.
Mr. Mannís marriage in 1890 united him with Mrs. Elzina M. Sharp, who shares with him the esteem and high regard of many friends and neighbors. Mr. Mannís fitness for the position led to his election to the office of president of the Farmersí alliance of Bloomfield, a body of up-to-date ranchers whose object is mutual helpfulness, both in a business and social sense. After two terms of service he resigned the office.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011