California Genealogy and History Archives
|Hugh Stoughton McCargar
Proficiency in any calling is rarely without its compensation when its possessor is willing to make the initial effort in bringing his knowledge and ability before the public. H. S. McCargar, a well-known contractor and builder of Petaluma, has proven the truth of this statement, and among the many fine buildings which stand as monuments to his splendid ability is his own fine residence at No. 319 Walnut street.
Mr. McCargar is a native of Canada, his birth occurring near Kemptville, Ontario, in February, 1859. His boyhood, youth and early manhood were passed in his native birthplace, but as soon as he reached his majority, in 1881, he left family and friends in the east and started for the Pacific coast country. Fresno, Cal., was his first stopping plac3e, six months being passed in that city, going from there to San Francisco, where he remained for one and a half years. It was about this time that the possibilities of the mines in New Mexico and Arizona were attracting ambitious seekers after wealth, and among those who made their way to the mines in these localities was Mr. McCargar. Two and a half years were there passed in an earnest endeavor to secure the coveted prize, but he finally gave up the effort and returned to San Francisco. He continued in the metropolis about one year when, in 1885, he came to Petaluma and has made his home here ever since. His knowledge of contracting and building which had been put to good account in other paces before coming to Petaluma, here found opportunity for expression also, and he was fortunate in securing the position of foreman in the employ of James Kill, a pioneer contractor of high standing. During the seven years while in Mr. Killís employ he erected many fine residences in Petaluma, among them the Fairbanks and McBrown residences on D street, which without exception are the finest residences in Petaluma.
Leaving the employ of Mr. Kill at the end of seven years of faithful service, Mr. McCargar began contracting and building on his own account and a goodly share of the best work done in the meantime in Petaluma has been done in his name and under his supervision. The erection of the fine residences may be said to be his specialty, among those which he is responsible for being the William Keig, A. J. McPhail, Mrs. John Ward, Miss Blackburn, Scott Bowles and other residences in Petaluma, besides residences in the country and a number of large barns.
A marriage ceremony performed in October 1894, united the lives of H. S. McCargar and Miss Minnie E. Warner. She was born in Turlock, Cal., the daughter of John and Jane (Van Buskirk) Warner, both natives of New York state. John Warner crossed the plains to California in the Ď50s, during the gold excitement, and subsequently returned east for his family. The voyage to California was made by way of the Isthmus. On the way the vessel was grounded and the passengers were taken off in boats; finally, however, they reached San Francisco. Mr. Warner was a tiller of the soil in Stanislaus county until he retired in Petaluma, where he died, as did also his wife. Three children blessed the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. McCargar, Gladys (who died at the age of four years), Ruth and Doris. Fraternally Mr. McCargar is identified with the Knights of Pythias, Elks and Woodmen of the World. He is a man of sterling integrity, an excellent workman, and is held in the highest esteem by all who are brought in contact with him, either in a business or social way.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011