California Genealogy and History Archives
San Bernardino County and Riverside County
JOHN MCINTOSH. — While loyalty to locality is by no means unusual among the residents of San Bernardino County, the affection John McIntosh feels for Redlands is due not only to its many charms as a place of residence but also to the fact that here he made his successful fight for prosperity, coming here some thirty odd years ago without financial capital, and is now retired from business and in the comfortable circumstances of a citizen who owns an attractive home and some productive orange groves.
Mr. McIntosh was torn at Dorchester, Massachusetts, April 15, 1862, son of William and Anna McIntosh. His father was a New England farmer, and John was next to the youngest in a family of eight children. He lived on his father's farm and attended public school but between the age of fifteen and sixteen started an apprenticeship at the blacksmith trade, and followed that occupation at Dorchester until 1882.
Mr. McIntosh has now been a Californian forty years, His first location was at San Francisco where he worked at his trade. In October, 1887, he came to Redlands. He left the train at Brookside, the nearest railroad point, and journeyed by stage into the village of Redlands, then new and with hardly a hint of its modern development. The town proper contained only a few houses, and one of those under construction was the Sloan house. Most of the town lots were covered with grapevines. Mr. McIntosh went to work in McLean's blacksmith shop for four months, and then opened a shop of his own at the comer of Fifth Street and Citrus Avenue, where the Home Investment Company is now located. Later he moved to Orange and State streets on the site of the Fisher Block and still later purchased property of his own at 18 West Citrus and sold this to buy the Southwest comer of Fourth and Citrus Avenue, where he continued active in business until 1914. As a master blacksmith he employed a number of skilled hands, prospered and saved, and invested his surplus profitably in several orange groves and still owns a five acre block on Citrus Avenue and five acres on Domestic Street.
In 1886 Mr. McIntosh married Miss Harriet Jones who was born and educated in Berkeley, California. They are the parents of a daughter Lillian and a son Reuben. Lillian who graduated from the Redlands High School is the wife of H. A. Woessner, a painting and decorating contractor at Redlands. Mr. and Mrs. Woessner have one son Arthur Leroy, born September 29, 1910. The son Reuben who was born in 1892, is a graduate of the Redlands High School and has to his credit a distinguished war record. He enlisted in the 144th Field Artillery, known as the "Grizzlies," was trained at Camp Kearney, was made a sergeant, and from Camp Kearney went direct to France where his command made a record that will always be a matter of pride to California. He returned to the United Sates and was mustered out January 27, 1919, and is now a salesman for the Burroughs Adding Machine Company with headquarters at Portland, Oregon. On February 23, 1921, Reuben McIntosh married Miss Chloe Wells of Portland, daughter of a retired lumberman and prominent Oregonian.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011