California Genealogy and History Archives
San Bernardino County and Riverside County
C. C. MILLER was one of the earliest settlers under the management of Mr. Evans and the Riverside Land and Irrigating Company, and as engineer in the construction of what was known as the lower canal and the founder of the Glenwood Mission Inn and also engineer for the Gage Canal, he deserves more than a passing notice.
C. C. Miller was born in Oneida County, New York, in 1824, where his grandfather was one of the pioneer settlers. He received a good education in the public schools of his native state and in the higher lines of collie work in Ohio, where he graduated from Cleveland University as a civil engineer in 1852, following that profession during the rest of his life.
He was engaged in railway work, among others the Chicago and Northwestern and Milwaukee and St. Paul, where he held high rank in his profession until the Civil war, when he enlisted for service and was commissioned as captain of Company M. Forty-ninth Volunteer Infantry, from Wisconsin. His regiment was assigned to duty in Missouri under General Dodge. His engineering skill soon became known and he was called into service as chief engineer of that district. He served until the close of the war and was honorably discharged in 1865, after which he returned to civil pursuits. He followed railroad work, being chief engineer of the Wabash and Lake Superior Railroad.
Ill health on the part of his wife made necessary a change of climate, and in 1873 he located in Los Angeles. In June of that year he came to Riverside as chief engineer and superintendent of the El Sobrante de San Jacinto Rancho. When the Riverside Land & Irrigating Company built the lower canal he was engineer superintending construction, aided by his son-in-law, G. O. Newman.
He bought the block on which the Glenwood Mission Inn is now located and commenced to build a residence, which was to be a twostory adobe building. The writer put the first team work on the Hock, which was leveling, preparatory to building. Mr. Miller's son, Frank A., helped make the adobes or unburned clay bricks with which the building was constructed. It was also used as a hotel, in 1881 being sold to his son Frank A. Miller, who is now master of the Mission Inn as it now stands.
C. C. Miller was also the chief engineer in the construction of the Gage Canal and later on out at Blythe on the Colorado River in further irrigation and land surveying enterprises.
His was a busy life, and he died in February, 1890, full of years and honors.
His wife, who was a Miss Mary Clark, and who died in August, 1895, was sixty-six years of age, was a daughter of an Ohio physician. She was a woman of refinement, and she transmitted some of these qualities to her son Frank, now master of the Mission Inn.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011