The tanning industry in Petaluma is represented by Frank Poehlmann, who was born in Tackau, Austria, April 24, 1862. His father, Wenzel Poehlmann, was a manufacturer in Tackau, where young Poehlmann was reared and educated in the public schools until the age of fourteen. He was then apprenticed as a tanner, completing the trade in two and a-half years, when he traveled as a journeyman through Austria, Hungary and Germany until 1880. At that time he came to St. Louis, Mo., and after working at his trade awhile there he traveled through Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Wisconsin, Louisiana, Tennessee and other stats, working as a tanner.
In 1885 Mr. Poehlmann was married, in St. Louis, Mo., to Bertha Morthorst, a native of Germany, and the same year removed to San Francisco, where he became superintendent of a tannery. In 1891 he started a tannery at Oregon Hill, Yuba county, which he ran until 1 898, when he rented the Nickles tannery at Santa Rosa for two years. When his lease expired he located in Petaluma and built his present tannery on Bremen street, where he manufactures all kinds of heavy leather, such as sole, harness and skirting. The plant has a large capacity and is well equipped, having a deep well and pumping plant.
Of the union of Mr. and Mrs. Poehlmann were born five children, as follows: Marie, now Mrs. Bailey, of Rainesville; Otto, a druggist, Max, a tanner, Ruth, all three of Petaluma, while William was killed in the Ignacio wreck of the Northwestern Pacific Railway at the age of eighteen. Mr. Poehlmann built his residence at No. 744 B street, Petaluma, where he and his estimable wife welcome their many friends and dispense their charities to those whom they deem worth. Politically he is a Republican, while fraternally he is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.