|Edwin M. Proschold
Nature has liberally endowed Sonoma county with picturesque scenery and in no portion of the county is the environment more attractive than in the vicinity of Cazadero, where mountain and stream combine to lend beauty to the landscape and leave an impression of artistic charm in the mind of the observer. An ideal location for a summer resort has been utilized by Mr. Proschold at his homestead on East Austin creek, where he has inaugurated a plan for accommodating resorters to the place, these plans including enlarged facilities for boating, bathing, fishing and hunting. The isolation of the spot rests the nerves weary of the cityís hum of busy toil; the dense woods appeal to the sportsman and lover of game, and the waters with their abundance of fish form an attraction for the ambitious fisherman. It will be possible hereafter to entertain four hundred resorters and without doubt the spot will become increasingly popular as its attractions become more widely known and appreciated.
Born in San Francisco May 10, 1866, Mr. Proschold is proud of the fact that he is a native son of California. The ancestry is German, his parents, Charles and Maria (Tallmangrosse) Proschold, having been born in the Fatherland in the year 1819, but immigrating to the new world at an early age they spent their adult lives principally in the west. In the family were ten children, three of whom died in infancy, and those living are as follows: Edwin M., whose name introduces this article; George W., who married Tillie Mullen and has a son, Raymond G.; H. H., a physician by profession and the father of one son by his marriage; Julia, Mrs. Charles Muhlbach, who has one daughter; Cora, Emily and Clara. Educated in the excellent schools of San Francisco, Edwin M. Proschold remained in that city until 1906, the year of his removal to Sonoma county. During his boyhood he served an apprenticeship to the printerís trade and eventually by promotions he rose to be foreman of the press-room in a large publishing house, where he continued in the same capacity for fourteen years, resigning in order to remove to a farm.
The country home of Mr. Proschold is presided over by his capable wife, who was Miss Christina Lawson, a native of San Francisco, born in 1870. They are the parents of the following-named sons and daughters: Carlto9n G., who married Miss Margaret Cole, the daughter of Dr. William Cole; Edwin C., Mervin J., Ralph W., Ernest M., Cora E., Hazel M., Myrtle L., Olive A., Lillian C., Louise R., and Rosalie R., the last two being twins. The children have all had musical training and have a brass band of six pieces in the family. They have played and entertained in the various resorts and in several towns and cities in the county, and as a musical organization are well and favorably known all over the county. Mrs. Proschold is the daughter of Henry Lewis and Louisa V. (Van Ecoyan) Lawson, the former born in Germany during the year 1815, and the latter born in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1850. After the death of the wife and mother Mr. Lawson was again married, being united with Mrs. G. W. Hitchcock, and by that union a son, George R., was born. Of the first marriage there were six children, namely: Joseph H., Henry, Mary, Christina, Louisa and Martha. Louisa, who is Mrs. Henry Jacob Murr, resides in Napa county, this state, and has four sons, Russell, Henry, Christopher and Volney. Martha was first married to M. J. Kelley, of San Francisco, and is now the wife of John Martin of Gilroy. To her first union one daughter was born, Jennie V. Kelley.
Since coming to Sonoma county in 1906 Mr. Proschold has given his attention to the cultivation of his ranch of one hundred and twenty-three acres, on which he has planted a small vineyard and an orchard of three acres of choice varieties of fruit. A few head of stock are kept on the farm, but the chief sources of income are the fruits and the summer resort. The Democratic party has an earnest supporter in Mr. Proschold, who gives its men and measures his ballot at all elections and favors its principles as being those in his opinion best adapted to permanent national prosperity. Movements for the local upbuilding have his sympathy and aid, especially those directly appertaining to educational and agricultural activities.