|Edward C. Rand
One of the comparatively late acquisitions to the ranching community of Sonoma county is Edward C. Rand, who came here in 1905 and purchased the ranch of which he is now the owner, near Santa Rosa. This ranch has taken on value and importance since coming into the possession of the present owner. At present preference is given to the raising of stock, Berkshire hogs especially, but it is the intention of the owner to ultimately make it a dairy ranch exclusively.
As are many of Californiaís best citizens, Mr. Rand is a native of the middle-west, and came hither with a fund of experience gained in various lines of business in his native state of Illinois. There the earth life of the elder Mr. Rand came to a close in 1877, but the mother still survives, making her home in Lombard, where are centered the memories and experiences of a long and happy life. Edward C. Rand attended the public school of Lombard until he was fourteen years of age, at that time beginning his own support by entering the employ of George E. Cole, of Chicago. This was in 1888, and he continued with this employer until 1898, when he accepted a position with the National Storage Company of the same place, continuing with the latter company until 1901. It was in the year just mentioned, when he was twenty-seven years of age, that he engaged in business on his own account, manufacturing novelties of all kinds. He continued in this business with very satisfactory results for about two years, when, in 1803, he became financially interested in the manufacture and sale of patent medicines, associating himself with the D. D. D. Company of Chicago.
Mr. Rand had been associated with the latter company about two years when, in 1905, though still retaining his interest in the medicine business, he came to California and located in Sonoma county. His purpose was to purchase and locate upon a ranch when he found one that suited his needs. This he found in the ranch of which he is the proprietor today, consisting of one hundred and seventy-five acres and located six miles from Santa Rosa. Thus far he has maintained it as a stock ranch, but it is his purpose to transform it into a dairy ranch as rapidly as possible, and every change or improvement on the property is made with this idea in view.
Mr. Randís marriage in 1899 united him with Miss Mary Rand, who was born in Connecticut in 1874. No children have been born to them. Though comparatively newcomers to the west they have entered into the spirit of the thriving community into which they have settled and are now as keenly interested in its welfare as are old, established residents.