California Genealogy and History Archives
civil engineer of a modern institution, city or highway, is the creator
thereof, and at least as long as it lasts his fame will last. Even if he
only assisted or advised in the construction of a single building, it
will stand to his memory. It is not necessary to formally, introduce
George N. Randle, the subject of this sketch, at least to a Sacramento
audience, where he has been a resident for upwards of sixteen years. All
of this time he has been an engineer of the city and also in the state
department of public works. He was born at Colusa, Cal., July 1, 1871.
His father, S. W. Randle, came to this state from Illinois in 1852,
crossing the plains and enduring the hard- ships of that time and trail.
He first located in Colusa county and took up farming. He married the
daughter of Maybury Davis, a prosperous ranch and stock man of
Princeton. George N. Randle is one of a family of three children, all of
whom are living. He passed through his school days, from grammar to high
school, and graduated at Washington college as a civil engineer in 1892.
He was connected with the state department of public works for nine
years, resigning to go to the Hawaiian Islands, where he was engaged on
works on the McBryde Sugar Company's plantations. Returning to
Sacramento in 1905, he was appointed city engineer by Mayor M. E. Beard,
and re- appointed by his successor, Mayor Clinton L. White.
has splendidly and successfully extended the city's water system and the
sewerage system as well, constructing a sewage pumping plant with a
capacity each twenty-four hours of 107,000,000 gallons.
Mr. Randle married Miss Mollie Nurse, daughter of M. A. and Mary Nurse. Mrs. Randle is a prominent church and club woman, being a member of the Tuesday and Saturday clubs, and she is a talented musician. Her husband is a Knight Templar and a member of Islam Temple, N. M. S., of San Francisco, the Elks and the Sutter club. In professional interests he is a member of the Technical Society of the Pacific Coast and of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011