California Genealogy and History Archives
the old Riley homestead, on the American river, John Riley, son of
Patrick Riley, was born May 30, 1855. His father crossed the plains in
1849 and arrived at the San Joaquin grant in the spring of 1850. He
engaged in farming and followed that occupation and teaming until his
retirement from active life in 1870. He died in 1879. His teaming
business took him to Forest Hill, Jackson and Placerville, the last
named locality then being known as Hangtown. Indians were at times
somewhat troublesome in those days, but Patrick Riley had an Indian
friend, Patricia, who, unknown to him, followed him to and fro as he
made trips through the country, sometimes hunting near him in order to
protect him if he should fall into danger. Mary Burke, who married
Patrick Riley and became the mother of John Riley, came to California
with her two brothers, Patrick and Thomas Burke, crossing the Isthmus of
Panama on a mule. In the early days of Sacramento she worked as a
servant for Dr. Ball several years, receiving a wage of $100 a month.
She bore her husband five children, three of whom are living. In the
prosecution of his farming operations the father usually employed about
a dozen Indians and during harvest about fifty. He never had any trouble
with them, but some of his neighbors had fights with some of them, and
on one occasion, when defeated red men were crossing the river in
retreat, several were killed.
the early age of thirteen years, in 1868, John Riley took up the battle
of life for himself. In various capacities he was associated with the
Southern Pacific Railroad Company for a time, and later was a conductor
on the Market and Valencia street horse car line for two years. Then for
two years he was in the employ of H. S. Kirk, druggist, after which, in
1881, he purchased the grocery of Jacob Wagner at Tenth and E streets,
and in November, 1910, he moved to Nos. 421-423 Tenth street, into a
building which he still owns.
Kate Webster, Mr. Riley's first wife, bore him three children, John Francis, Herbert J. and Hazel, anl she died in 1897. In 1899 Mr. Riley married Mamie McBride, and they have children named Alethea and Beatrice. The family are members of the congregation of the Cathedral. Mr. Riley, whose father immigrated to America from Ireland, has demonstrated the success of men of Irish blood in the handling of American affairs.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011