California Genealogy and History Archives
E. SHAW, M. D.
favorable opportunity to engage in professional activities as resident
physician at the Sisters' hospital was the immediate cause of the
location of Dr. Shaw in Sacramento, where at first in this position and
later as a private practitioner he has won his way to an enviable
standing among the men of his calling in the capital city. Those
competent to speak with authority assert that his knowledge of materia
medica and surgery, backed by a broad general fund of information in
every sphere of thought, places him in sympathetic association with the
most talented members of the profession in his city, while also enabling
him to appreciate with delicate intuition the manifold openings which
make the future rich in promise to students of the science. Scarcely yet
in the prime of manhood, many years of professional usefulness may be
predicted for him, with a growing reputation abundantly merited by his
judicious studies of the science of therapeutics, by his skill in
diagnosis and by his discriminating accuracy in the selection of
remedial agencies for the relief of pain and the conquering of disease.
son of Charles F. and Mary Shaw, and a member of an old honored eastern
family, Dr. Frederick. E. Shaw was born at Haverhill, Mass., September
6, 1879, and received his education in the splendid institutions boasted
by the old Bay state. During 1896 he was graduated from high school and
he then studied in Phillips academy at Exeter, N. H., for a year, after
which he relinquished the classical course for professional specialties.
He began to take medical lectures in Tufts Medical college at Boston,
Mass., where he remained a diligent student of therapeutics and surgery
until his removal from the Atlantic coast to the shores of the Pacific.
Immediately after his arrival in San Francisco he resumed the studies of
his preferred science and availed himself of every opportunity for the
enlarging of his mental equipment for professional work. During 1908 he
was graduated from the Cooper Medical college and immediately afterward
he came to Sacramento, where he and his wife, formerly Miss Lyla Marie
Kimball, of Haverhill, Mass., have won a host of warm personal friends
in the most cultured social circles.
Reared in the faith of the Roman Catholic church, devoted to her doctrines and well-informed concerning her history. Dr. Shaw has been a generous contributor to her many splendid philanthropies and has assisted with characteristic liberality those movements tending toward her larger usefulness or more complete equipment for work. The Young Men's Institute and the Knights of Columbus number him among their leading members, and in the latter he now officiates as grand knight. Political matters have not interested him to the point of enlisting partisan preferences, his attitude being independent and his ballot favoring men and measures rather than any special party. In the fall of 1911 he was elected a member of the board of education of Sacramento, serving until July 1, 1912, when the new charter came into effect and abolished the old board of education. During his service as trustee he raised the schedule of teachers' salaries to that of the leading cities of the state, and established a school of manual training and domestic science at Oak Park. During his term he was also instrumental in abolishing many insanitary conditions in the schools, secured the passage of a bill for building two new open-air kindergartens, and was active generally in building up the schools in all departments. The Sutter and University clubs have brought him into touch with many of the most influential citizens of Sacramento, and his participation in club activities has been constant and helpful. With the interest which a successful practitioner always feels in his chosen profession, he has interested himself in studying the latest developments of the science, in perusing literature pertaining to the subject and in keeping in touch with the work of the various organizations to which he belongs, these being the American Medical Association, the Sacramento County Medical Society and the Northern District Medical Association.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011