California Genealogy and History Archives
San Bernardino County and Riverside County
EARL F. VAN LUVEN, veteran orange grower of Colton, officially identified with fruit exchanges and other packing and marketing organizations for nearly thirty years, is the father of two enterprising San Bernardino business men, Donald Earl and Jed S. Van Luven, proprietors of the San Bernardino Implement Company.
Earl F. Van Luven was born in Ontario, Canada, January 13, 1861, son of Zara and Martha (Potter) Van Luven. He acquired his early education in the common schools and a business college in Canada, and from his father, who was a successful merchant, gained a thorough and practical training. Earl Van Luven came out to California and located at Colton in 1888. He invested in property on the celebrated Colton Terrace, where he made extensive plantings of citrus fruit. He now has one of the oldest and best producing groves in that noted district. From his own groves he has packed and shipped many thousands of carloads of oranges and lemons, and it would be difficult to refer to a man whose experience covers a longer period of time and a broader range of all the important phases of citrus growing and marketing. He has for many years been associated with the Southern California Fruit Exchange, the California Fruit Growers Exchange, of which he is a director, the San Bernardino County Fruit Exchange, of which for years he was secretary and manager, and he joined his individual effort and support to these various organizations to solve the fruit marketing problems practically at their beginning, about 1893. He was a charter member of the Colton Fruit Exchange when it was organized, and until 1902 was its secretary. He resigned because of the pressure of other business interests, but continued as vice president and as a director.
In 1891 Earl F. Van Luven married Miss Helen Edith Shepardson, daughter of Jed B. and Julia (Bucklen) Shepardson. Her father was a well known banker at Marble Rock, Iowa, but for many years spent his winters in Colton. Jed B. Shepardson was a son of William and Hannah Shepardson, while Julia D. Bucklen was a daughter of Willard and Doris Bucklen. Mr. and Mrs. Earl Van Luven have two sons, Jed S. and Donald E.
Jed S. Van Luven was born at Santa Monica July 7, 1892, and acquired his early education in the schools of Colton, Los Angeles and San Bernardino. His principal business has been as a dealer in farm implements, and the San Bernardino Implement Company, of which he is senior member, now conducts the largest retail establishment of the kind in this county. He is a member of Phoenix Lodge No. 178, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons ; of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Native Sons of the Golden West. He is a republican in politics.
Jed Van Luven married at Corona Beulah Meacham, a native of San Bernardino and a daughter of R. M. Meacham, a pioneer of this city. They have two children. Jack and Barbara, the former attending kindergarten.
Donald Earl Van Luven, the younger son, was born at Santa Monica, California, September 1, 1899. He graduated from the Colton High School in 1917, and attended the Oregon Agricultural Collie until 1919. He expects to return and complete his studies there in the near future. During the war he spent four months in a training camp in Oregon, being honorably discharged at the close of the war. He is a co-partner in the San Bernardino Implement Company, and is also owner of a small orange grove at Colton. He is a republican, a member of the Native Sons of the Golden West, the Fraternal Order of Eagles, belongs to the college fraternity Kappa Theta Rho, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Colton.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011