Search billions of records on


 Biographies Index  



California Genealogy and History Archives

Sacramento County



The intimacy resulting from a lifelong identification with the city of Sacramento enabled Mr. Wiesenhofer to appreciate the possibilities and understand the advantages offered by this part of California. Himself an energetic and capable young business man, he devoted his abilities to the perfecting of titles and the bringing down of abstracts. The office in which he learned the business and with which he was so long connected has the distinction of being the oldest title and abstract company in California and is the successor of other firms that were for years active in these specialties. Many interesting maps may be seen in the office, the oldest of these being a publication of 1854, which has the distinction of being the first official map of the county.

The family name indicates the Teutonic origin of the present American representatives, and Frank X., who was born in Sacramento April 19, 1878, was a member of the second generation resident in the new world. His father, Frank X. Wiesenhofer, Sr., was born and reared in Germany, and married Miss Anna Stumpf, likewise a native of that country. After he had crossed the ocean he settled in the east and secured employment at his trade of cabinet-maker. At one time he owned a manufacturing plant in Columbus, Ohio, but a lack of success led him to look for a more attractive environment, and during 1870 he came to California, settling in Sacramento. Here his son and namesake received a fair education in public and private schools and at an early age began to earn his own livelihood as a newsboy, from the age of eight years working in the abstract office delivering the daily transfer reports. After he had completed his schooling he entered the office of Buckley & Gerber, and ever since, until death, had been identified with the abstract and title business as a specialist. The attorneys in the city gave him credit for having the most thorough knowledge of titles of local property and the abstracts in the county, and those he prepared proved most satisfactory in even the smallest details.

The marriage of Frank X. Wiesenhofer was solemnized in Sacramento July 31, 1909, and united him with Miss Minnie James, a native of Nevada county, Cal., daughter of William and Anna (Brock) James. William James was born near North Wales and was a mining man in Nevada county. He was a Mason of the Knight Templar degree at Nevada City. Mrs. James was born in Nevada City, Cal., daughter of Thomas Brock, a native of England and a pioneer of California, coming via Panama. In the James family were two children ; besides Mrs. Wiesenhofer is a son, William D. James, of Sacramento. The mother makes her home at the old family residence. No. 2530 M street. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Wiesenhofer, Frank X., Jr., and Mildred Louise. From the time he attained his majority Mr. Wiesenhofer was a stanch supporter of Republican principles and voted the party ticket at both local and general elections. While not caring for office himself, he believed it to be the duty of citizens to keep posted concerning the problems of the nation and the commonwealth, and accordingly was found to be well-posted in all measures of general importance. The Benevolent Protective Order of Elks had the benefit of his active co-operation in matters relative to the welfare of the local lodge and the maintenance of its charities. Mr. Wiesenhofer passed away in Sacramento November 6, 1912, and was interred in East Lawn cemetery with honors of the local lodge of Elks. Mrs. Wiesenhofer is a member of Naomi Chapter No. 36, 0. E. S. Mr. Wiesenhofer was very charitable and always ready to give aid to the needy and less fortunate; each year he sent gifts to the orphanage, and his giving was ever quiet and unostentatious. 

History of Sacramento County, California
Biographical Sketches of The Leading Men and Women of the County Who Have Been Identified With Its Growth and Development from the Early Days to the Present
History By: William L. Willis
Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, California (1913)

Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011