California Genealogy and History Archives
Genealogical records show that several generations of the Wiley family lived and labored in Maryland, their principal place of residence having been Harford county, whence their descendants scattered into many portions of the United States. The ancestral mansion stood at Norrisville, a small town lying near to the state line of Pennsylvania, near also to the placid waters of the Susquehanna river and not far distant from the Chesapeake bay. There occurred the birth of David E. Wiley June 20, 1858, and there in 1825 the eyes of his father, Hon. David Wiley, first opened to the light. The latter had been the recipient of fair advantages in the select schools common to the early half of the nineteenth century and, although he limited his attention to farming and stock-raising, he not only attained prominence in that occupation, but also became a leader in civic affairs, in business enterprises and in progressive projects for the welfare of his commonwealth. In recognition of his noteworthy achievements and genuine talents for the public service he was chosen as a member of the Maryland assembly in 1881 and 1883 and at the time of his death, February 27, 1887, he was still very prominent in the state. As a farmer he was progressive. In the stock business he aimed to raise only the best grades. No finer herd than his might be found in all of Harford county. To him belonged the distinction of sending the first carload of cattle ever shipped to England, while he constantly bought and sold in the markets of the eastern cities. During early manhood he married Mary S. Terril, who was born at Norrisville, Md., and died there in June of 1865, while still in the prime of womanhood. The schools of Norrisville were excellent in their standard of training and in their discipline. Hence David E. Wiley had advantages superior to those possible to many of that period. When he left school at the age of eighteen he secured employment in a mercantile establishment in his home town and there he remained for twelve years. Meanwhile from 1882 to 1884 he served as justice of the peace in his home township. Coming to California in 1888 he entered the mint and remained an employe of the government until 1904, when he resigned to devote his whole attention to a store at Folsom, which he had bought in 1903. After having engaged in merchandising for se\-en years he sold out in 1910. Since then he has acted as agent for several old-line insurance companies and also has carried on a cigar business. While still a resident of Maryland he was united in marriage, September 24, 1884, with Miss Edith May, a member of an old Maryland family and a woman of culture and education. In addition to his family residence Mr. Wiley owns another dwelling-house in Folsom. Through- out all of his life he has favored Democratic principles and at all elections he supports the regular party nominees. In fraternal relations he holds membership with the blue lodge of Masons, the Knights of Pythias, the Eagles, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Rebekahs, to which last-named his wife also belongs.
Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011