Search billions of records on


 Biographies Index  



California Genealogy and History Archives

Contra Costa County


WILLIAM C. WILLIAMSON.  Prominent among the more active, enterprising, and influential citizens of eastern Contra Costa County may be mentioned William C. Williamson, who has been identified with the agricultural pursuits of this county for many years. He was born in Taney County, Missouri, October 27, 1858, the son of Jesse and Ann (Stallcup) Williamson, who were the parents of seven children. At the age of twenty, Mr. Williamson went to Mendocino County and found employment with the Caspar Lumber Company for nearly two years. Returning to Missouri, he spent over six years farming, and in 1888 he returned to California and rented the Shannon ranch in eastern Contra Costa County. Mr. Williamson was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Shannon, who died in 1907. To this union were born seven children—Nellie (wife of Joseph Lynch, of San Francisco), William, John C., Aubry, Mabel, Frances, and Leslie. Aubry has the distinction of being one of twenty-four boys in California to receive a prize from the State Agricultural College at Davis for the best acre of corn grown. Aubry raised on one acre of his father's ranch ninety-eight and a half bushels of corn, winning a trip throughout the United States, with all expenses paid by the Davis Agricultural School. Mr. Williamson has five hundred and forty acres in one ranch, and twenty-four in another. After an arduous effort, he has brought his ranch land into condition for profitable crops. He carries on general farming. Politically, Mr. Willamson is a Democrat. He has served on the local school board for twenty-six years. He is also a director of the First National Bank of Antioch. Fraternally, he is a member of the Masonic lodge of Brentwood, the I. 0. 0. F. of Antioch for the past twenty-five years, and the Maccabees lodge. He is always ready and can be relied upon to promote public-spirited plans and projects, and it has been his aim to promote the good-roads movement in the county.

The History of Contra Costa County California
Edited by F J Hulaniski
Published by The Elms Publishing Co., Inc, Berkeley, California 1917

Transcribed by Peggy Hooper 2011

WILLIAM C. WILLIAMSON. In the eastern part of Contra Costa county, just south of Antioch, is located the well-improved and highly cultivated ranch of William C. Williamson, which evidences the ability, energy and industry of its prosperous owner. He came to the state empty-handed less than thirty years ago, a young man of twenty years, his only capital a strong constitution and unlimited ambition, and from the foot of the ladder has climbed steadily upward until he holds rank to-day with the most successful ranchers of the county. 

A native of Missouri, Mr. Williamson was born October 27, 1858, a son of Jesse and Mis- souri Ann (Stallcup) Williamson, the father being a miller by trade. He was reared and edu- cated in Sullivan county. Mo., remaining in that location until 1878 when he decided to try his fortunes on the Pacific slope. Accordingly he came west in that year and located at Men- docino City where he spent one year in the lumber section, but not content with his prospects for a future success, he came to Contra Costa county and rented a ranch upon which he en- gaged in the cultivation of grain. He met with a success which brought him financial returns sufficient to justify the purchase of a quarter section of land in 1888 from Mrs. Thomas Shan- non. This property he continued to cultivate and improve and when it was all paid for he imme- diately purchased two hundred and forty acres more, all of this land being now devoted to the cultivation of wheat, barley and hay, the first named, however. occupying the greater part of his attention. Among the improvements which have added value to his property are a comfort- able residence and commodious barn. 

In California, November, 1888, Mr. Williamson was united in marriage with Elizabeth Shan- non, a native of the state, and a daughter of Thomas Shannon, who is now deceased. They are the parents of seven children, namely : Nellie, William, John, Mabel, Aubrey, Francis and Leslie. Fraternally Mr. Williamson belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is a charter member of the Knights of the Maccabees. 

History of the state of California and biographical record of the San Joaquin 
Valley, California. An historical story of the state's marvelous growth from 
its earliest settlement to the present time.
Prof. James Miller Guinn , A. M.
The Chapman Publishing Co., Chicago 1905
Notes: Missing Page: 865-866,983-984,1175-1176

Transcribed by Peggy Hooper