Search billions of records on

Home Civil War Index



California Genealogy and History Archives

Civil War Veterans


(PG Daily Review March 4, 1920)

Another Civil War (Vet) Goes Over the Top
Roswell P Bishop Mustered Out at 6:30 This Morning

  Roswell P Bishop, a veteran of the Civil War, one of Pacific Grove's best known and honored citizens died this morning at 6:30 o'clock, aged 78 years one month and 28 days. His service record is printed below written by himself.  His wife preceded him about two years ago.  The survives him a son, Roswell F Bishop, a grandson Roswell G Bishop, a sister Mrs. Elizabeth Hallock of Woodstock New York, and a brother Charles E. Bishop, of Templeton, Wisconsin, Mrs. Sylvia Hamilton of 512 Ninth St. is a sister-in law.    The funeral service will be held from his late residence tomorrow (Friday) at 2 o'clock under the auspices of the Lucius Fairchild Post No. 179 Grand Army of the Republic with burial at El Carmelo cemetery. Dr. Orville Onats, pastor of the New Monterey Baptist Church will assist in the ceremonies.  Comrade Bishop was a member of the local Methodist Church.  A military service will be conducted at the Grave by a detail of soldiers from the Presidio of Monterey.  


  Was born in Sidney Center, Delaware County, New York, January 6, 1842.  Had limited early education.  Worked as a farm laborer until I enlisted July 28, 1861 in Co. C 43rd New York Infantry Volunteers- Place of enlistment Onconta, Otsego County New York.  Rendezvoused at Albany, New York where the regiment was formed and mustered into the United States service, August fifth 1861 for three years as a private.  We started for the front about August 20th 1861.  Stopped over in New York City four days and then proceeded to Washington, D.C.  Camped a short time at Meridian Hills, D.C. then crossed the Potomac River into Virginia just after the battle of Balls Bluff.  We went into winter quarters at what was known as Camp Griffin, and there our Brigade was formed consisting of the 43rd New York, 4th Pennsylvania, 5th Wisconsin and 6th Maine, commanded by Brigadier General Winfield S. Hancock, later a corp commander.  All these regiments served through their three year terms of enlistment, and then re-enlisted for the period of the war in 1863.  A Sergeant of our company, when we went out, came home at the close of the war as Colonel in command of the regiment.  During the winter of '61 and '62 we were only in one small fight at Deviceville, Virginia.  During our stay at Camp Griffin our spring campaign began in March we took boat for Fort Monroe and entered the Peninsular campaign Wintrust(?) at the  beginning at Lee's Mills.  On the left at Yorktown is a sharp skirmish, I was hit by a Minnie ball in the elbow of my right arm compelling an amputation near the shoulder.  I was sent to Yorktown and from there to New York City by boat for treatment.  I was gone from the regiment about one month and again rejoined the regiment at Harrison Landing, but too late to take part in that battle.  I continued to serve with my regiment when they marched back to Washington, and out to Centerville to stop the retreat from the second battle of Bull Run.  At Bull Run I made my only capture of the war- a horse, saddle and saber.  When our corps stopped at Centerville I with a few others pushed on to the Bull Run field.  A cavalry charge was made by the Confederates on our retreating forces, which was sharply met, and a horse riderless, came galloping near us.  I got the horse at some risk and taking a wounded officer on his back returned to Centerville where I stayed with the officer until he died the next day.  I kept the horse and rode him back through Washington into Maryland and took part in the battle of South Mountain and Antietam.  There I had my horse taken from me for use in the artillery, owing to losses in the Antietam battle.  I found that I could load and fire my gun as quickly and about as accurately as any of the boys, and I was excused from all fatigue duty.  I continued with my command until the Burnside campaign at the first Fredricksburg battle in December 1862.  Here on the advise of many of my officers I consented to accept my discharge and go home and try to get an education, which I sadly needed.  I wanted to stay and see it through.  I left the army with regret, but others with two hands could perform the orders better.  I reached home Friday night and Monday morning I began a new life.  A fight for and education which lasted until I graduated from the University of Michigan.  After my graduation I practiced law for a number of years at Luddington Michigan, where I was elected to Congress from the Ninth District and served for twelve years."

Pacific Grove Daily Review Mar 4, 1920
ATTN Fairchild Post & Corps 
  You are hereby requested to assemble at Post Headquarters, Work Hall Friday, March 5th, at 1:30 o'clock p.m. to attend the funeral of Comrade R.P. Bishop from his late residence 244 Central avenue, at 2 o'clock.
By order of S.A. Woolf, Post Commander, Eli Fisher Adjutant.

(Monterey Cypress 4, 1920)
Funeral of R.P. Bishop

  The funeral of the late R.P. Bishop took place at the residence on Central avenue in Pacific Grove this afternoon at 2 o’clock, the Rev. Orville Couts, pastor of the New Monterey Baptist Church was the officiating clergyman.
  The ritualistic services of the Grand Army of the Republic were given at the residence and also at the grave in Carmelo Cemetery.
  Many beautiful floral offerings were in evidence as marks of love and esteem.
  The pall bearers were members of the Lucius Fairchild Post, C.C. Thomas, D. Davis, A.B. Cooper, O.F. Winters, J.H. King and M.L. Mixer.


(click on photos for larger view)


bishop-roswell-peter-funeral-notice.jpg (47128 bytes)  


Pacific Grove Daily Review
Mar 4, 1920



Researched and Compiled by : Timothy P. Reese, PCC of Salinas , CA. & Robert L. Nelson ,PCC. of Santa Cruz.CA. Both members of the “Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War”. Department of California & Pacific. Camp Abraham Lincoln # 10. The Reese-Nelson CWV-MC Data Base