Home

History Index

Contacts

 

California Genealogy and History Archives

 

Klamath County History

A Memorial and Biographical History of Northern California
Chicago, Lewis Publ. Co., 1891

 

Comprising what is now Del Norte and a part of Humboldt and Siskiyou, was in existence from April 25, 1851, to 1874. The name Klamath is of Indian origin, and was first applied to the stream near its source by the early trappers, who asked the natives there what they called it, and were answered Klamat or Tlamat (it was spelled by Fremont Tlamath). The tribes that lived along the banks each had their own name for the river, but the name adopted by the whites soon became known from its mouth to its source, and was also applied to the lakes from which the river springs. The name is said to signify "swiftness." The county was named after the river.

        Most of the principal points of interest concerning Klamath County were necessarily mentioned in our sketch of Humboldt County, next preceding this. While it maintained a separate organic existence, it was represented in the State Assembly by the following gentlemen:

        Assemblymen: J. J. Arrington, 1855; W. M. Buell, 1861; T. H. Coats, 1852; Walter McDonald, 1856; James McMahon, 1853; L. H. Murch, 1865'66; T. H. Rector, 1867'68, 1871'72; Walter Van Dyke, 1853; S. G. Whipple, 1854, 1857; S. P. Wright, 1862'63. See also Del Norte, Siskiyou, Trinity and Humboldt counties.

        March 28, 1874, the county was disorganized and annexed to Humboldt and Siskiyou counties.

 

Transcribed by Kathy Sedler.