Home  Photo Index

Contacts

 

California Genealogy and History Archives

San Diego County

Photos of Victorian Homes
by Michael Harris 2011
Page 1   Page 2

(Click on photos for larger view)

Burton House (1893) Pediments and dentil cornices inspired by classic sources mark this house. Henry Guild Burton, retired Army physician, built it during a trend that by the turn of the century began to eliminate decoration.
burton-house-1.jpg (87002 bytes) burton-house-2.jpg (92348 bytes) burton-house-3.jpg (111785 bytes)
burton-house-4.jpg (69388 bytes) burton-house-5.jpg (83071 bytes)  
 
Bushyhead House (1887) Edward Wilkerson Bushyhead, early San Diego sheriff, chief of police, and San Diego Union newspaper owner, built this house as a rental. The Italianate style combines double doors with glass panels, tall protruding bay windows and a low-pitched roof. The Bushyhead House was moved to Heritage Park in summer of 1976. Bushyhead, who was part Cherokee Indian, marched in the “Trail of Tears” during the displacement of the Southeastern tribes in 1838-39.
bushyhead-house-1.jpg (85905 bytes) bushyhead-house-2.jpg (86308 bytes) bushyhead-house-3.jpg (114873 bytes)
 
Christian House (1889) This graceful residence was constructed by Harfield Timberlake Christian, founder of an early San Diego abstract company. It is built in a popular late Victorian design characterized by a variety of chimneys, shingles, a corner tower, and encircling veranda. Located in Heritage Park.
christian-house-1.jpg (96031 bytes) christian-house-2.jpg (123928 bytes) christian-house-3.jpg (117472 bytes)
 
Barn (1901), Frank Penner Building, 1872 East Valley Parkway, Relocated 1976, Escondido Kiwanis Club. Second photo from inside the barn.
escondido-barn-1901.jpg (159042 bytes) escondido-barn-photo.jpg (58689 bytes)  
 
Luiseno Bedrock Mortar Metate, Escondido, Ca. – A.D. 100-1700
escondido-mortar.jpg (191626 bytes)    
 
Grandier House, at 3620 Front Street was constructed for Mrs. Frank Grandier, a native Switzerland who was active in local government and founded the San Diego Daily Transcript. It was later owned by Richard Benbough, brother of an early San Diego mayor.
grandier-house-1.jpg (102198 bytes) grandier-house-2.jpg (89224 bytes)  
 
Hayward-Patterson House (1887), at Twenty-Second and Broadway was built in 1887 by Albert M. Hayward, captain of the yacht, San Diego. The house was next owned by Francis Elliot Patterson. A professional photographer who owned a Fifth Avenue camera store.
haywood-patterson-house-1.jpg (73725 bytes) haywood-patterson-house-2.jpg (88393 bytes)  
 
Long-Waterman House, 2408 First Avenue, is a Queen Anne style Victorian. The first owner of the house was John Long who headed the Coronado Fruit Package Company. Mrs. Long drowned shortly after they moved in and the house was then purchased in 1891 by Robert Whitney Waterman, seventeenth Governor of California.
long-waterman-house-1.jpg (122225 bytes) long-waterman-house-2.jpg (118864 bytes) long-waterman-house-3.jpg (104805 bytes)
 
McConaughy House (1887) This house is named for its original owner, John McConaughy, who founded the first scheduled passenger and freight service in San Diego County. His four-horse passenger stages and six-horse wagons operated between San Diego and Julian. Located in Heritage Park.
mcconaughy-house-1.jpg (63704 bytes) mcconaughy-house-2.jpg (84373 bytes) mcconaughy-house-3.jpg (90455 bytes)
 
Sherman-Gilbert House (1887) This house was built and first owned by John Sherman, cousin of General William Tecumseh Sherman. The “widow’s walk” and circular window are key elements of this structure, which moved to Heritage Park in the spring of 1971. From 1892 to 1965, sisters Bess and Gertrude Gilbert, patrons of art and music, brought internationally famous entertainers to receptions in their home. Among the artists were Yehudi Menuhin and Arthur Rubinstein.
sherman-gilbert-house-1.jpg (80148 bytes) sherman-gilbert-house-2.jpg (70689 bytes)   sherman-gilbert-house-3.jpg (88667 bytes)
 
Temple Beth Israel (1889) San Diego’s first synagogue, constructed by the Congregation Beth Israel, also became temporary quarters for many religious sects before establishing churches of their own. The structure reflects the church styles of the late 1800s. The first services were held September 25, 1889. Located in Heritage Park
temple-beth-israel-1.jpg (88492 bytes) temple-beth-israel-2.jpg (51248 bytes) temple-beth-israel-3.jpg (86417 bytes)
 
Timken House (1888), built in 1888, is a late Victorian style, Queen Anne, with Georgian influence. The house was designed by the prominent architects Comstock and Trotsche and is located at 2508 First Avenue. The Timkens were prominent citizens involved in real estate and the fine arts.
timken-house-1.jpg (104956 bytes) timken-house-2.jpg (111417 bytes) timken-house-3.jpg (106717 bytes)
 

Frank Oliver House (1907) An L-shaped Colonial Revival farmhouse. The roof shingle siding on the gables is the only Victorian elements evident. The dormers were probably added later.

oliver-frank-1.jpg (105483 bytes) oliver-frank-2.jpg (96174 bytes)  
 

Quartermass-Wilde (1896) 2404 East Broadway, was built by Reuben Quartermass. Later the house passed to Louis J. Wilde. Queen Anne style with Colonial Revival features. The dome on the tower was a late addition.

quartermass-wilde-house-1.jpg (82372 bytes) quartermass-wilde-house-2.jpg (134262 bytes) quartermass-wilde-house-3.jpg (71608 bytes)
 

Sheldon House (1886) 1245 Island Avenue, was built by Dr. F.C. Sheldon at the corner of 11th and D street (now Broadway), designed by Comstock and Trotsche. The house was later moved to it’s present location. Queen Anne style.

sheldon-house.jpg (100239 bytes) sheldon-house-1.jpg (168077 bytes) sheldon-house-2.jpg (160928 bytes)
 

Villa Montezuma (1887) 1925 K Street, was built by concert pianist Benjamin Francis Shepard. He lived there only two years. Queen Anne style with Moorish features.

villa-montezuma-1.jpg (83218 bytes) villa-montezuma-2.jpg (77177 bytes) villa-montezuma-3.jpg (91117 bytes)
villa-montezuma-4.jpg (27691 bytes) villa-montezuma-5.jpg (119382 bytes) villa-montezuma-6.jpg (88533 bytes)
 

Victorian Cottage, La Mesa

victorian -cottage-la-mesa-1a.jpg (129125 bytes) victorian -cottage-la-mesa-2a.jpg (112333 bytes) victorian -cottage-la-mesa-3a.jpg (117925 bytes)
 

Castle House (1887) 12747 Castle Court Drive, was built by G.H. Mansfield, vice president of the El Cajon Valley Land Company. He built it as a showpiece in the Queen Anne style. The circular tower, shingle siding, and tall windows are typical of the style.

castle-house-1.jpg (116024 bytes) castle-house-2.jpg (135166 bytes) castle-house-3.jpg (119996 bytes)
 

Albert Gray house

gray-albert-1.jpg (101770 bytes) gray-albert-2.jpg (92455 bytes) gray-albert-3.jpg (51580 bytes)
 

Senlis house

senlis-house-1.jpg (74573 bytes) senlis-house-2.jpg (117208 bytes) senlis-house-3.jpg (69115 bytes)
 
2026 E. Broadway
2026-broadway-1.jpg (89630 bytes) 2026-broadway-2.jpg (113121 bytes) 2026-broadway-3.jpg (85173 bytes)
     

Community Church of Poway (1887). 13501 Community Road, Poway, Ca. Community Church, originally a Methodist-Episcopal congregation, was established in July 1879, by the Rev. Mr. Hough of Los Angeles. The first worshippers met in the local house.

In 1883 Joseph and Amanda Stone and another couple donated land for the present building. Church members and friends provided most of the materials and labor, and Samuel Bowron acted as construction superintendent. The redwood structure, a New England-style church, was completed in 1887. 

In 1893 the church became the Congregational Church of Poway. In the late 1920s, the name was changed to the Community Church of Poway. The native Daughters of the Golden West designated the sanctuary as a historical site on September 26, 1976, recognizing the 120-year-old chapel at the oldest wooden structure in continuous use as a church in San Diego County.

community-church-1.jpg (116122 bytes) community-church-2.jpg (74416 bytes) community-church-3.jpg (87025 bytes)
community-church-4.jpg (81707 bytes) community-church-5.jpg (87211 bytes) community-church-6.jpg (99467 bytes)
 

Flint Farm (1882). 14452 Midland Road, Poway, Ca. Horace Kent and his son, Lewis, built the original house in 1882 at its present location on Midland Road. The Flints were famous for their peaches. Horace left the house and 100 acres to his daughter Mary, who left the property to her husband, Ed Flint.

In 1947 Stuart Fritzohn purchased the property. Extensive repairs were made to the house and property between 1947 and 1970. The house is an excellent example of a Victorian era farm house, circa 1880.

flint-farm-1.jpg (68836 bytes) flint-farm-2.jpg (86727 bytes) flint-farm-3.jpg (76905 bytes)
 

D.J. Ranch: Formerly the Walter Kent Farm. 13881 Poway Valley Road, Poway, Ca. The wooden farmhouse was originally the home of Walter Kent family, who moved to Poway sometime in 1882 to join Walter’s parents, Lydia and Horace Kent. The house dates from the late 1890s to early 1900.

The Johnson family, owners of the present D.J. Ranch, purchased the property in 1963 for use as a horse and cattle ranch. In the early 1970s the Johnsons sold a portion of the property to the Poway Valley Riders Association for use as a horse facility; in 1987 another portion was sold to a developer. The house boasts original stonework on the front porch, an original well and barn, a bathtub, walkway and thick walls.

kent-farm-1.jpg (84248 bytes) kent-farm-2.jpg (85790 bytes)  
 

Moore house

moore-1.jpg (81068 bytes) moore-2.jpg (76232 bytes)  
 

Parsonage Museum-Atherton Chapel (1897) 3185 Olive Street, Lemon Grove, Ca. Originally built as the Atherton Chapel. The bell tower was later removed and the structure was converted to a single-family residence.

par-ath-1.jpg (92634 bytes) par-ath-2.jpg (82151 bytes) par-ath-3.jpg (76963 bytes)
par-ath-4.jpg (43844 bytes) par-ath-5.jpg (120584 bytes)  
 

Plaisted House (1886) 144211 Midland Road. Is named after the family that homesteaded the property. The porch details are recent.

plaisted-house-1.jpg (86863 bytes) plaisted-house-2.jpg (97294 bytes) plaisted-house-3.jpg (89512 bytes)
 

Sherman-Doig House (1887) 136 Fir Street. Stick Style. Built by John Sherman, a cousin of General William Tecumseh Sherman. The house was bought by Dr. John Rankin Doig in 1888.He also built the Sherman-Gilbert House.

sherman-doig-house-1.jpg (137010 bytes) sherman-doig-house-2.jpg (112121 bytes)  
 

Sherman-Judson House (1887) Queen Anne style. Renovated in 2006.

sherman-judson-house-1.jpg (51383 bytes) sherman-judson-house-2.jpg (144117 bytes) sherman-judson-house-3.jpg (117126 bytes)
 

Templars Hall (1886) 14134 Midland Road, Poway, Ca. The International Order of Good Templars (I.O.G.T.) Hall was built in 1886 as a meeting hall. The group advocated peace, temperance, and brotherhood. From 1895 to 1897 the Hall served Poway’s first high school, and was later used for social and community events. Methodist Church services were held there regularly. In 1924 the building was purchased, moved, and remodeled by the Christian Science Society. Later it became the St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church Thrift Store. In the 1980’s it was known as the Hay Barn, a tack and feed store. The City of Poway purchased the building in the early 1990s, moved it to Old Poway Park and renovated it. Today it serves as a meeting room for various groups and as a social hall for local events.

templars-hall-1.jpg (64459 bytes) templars-hall-2.jpg (83340 bytes) templars-hall-3.jpg (81703 bytes)
templars-hall-4.jpg (87702 bytes)    
 

Waters Residence

waters-residence.jpg (90223 bytes)    
 

1940 Market Street, San Diego, Ca. – (1896) Architect and/or builder; Schultheiss Brothers.

1940-market-1.jpg (91517 bytes) 1940-market-2.jpg (100854 bytes) 1940-market-3.jpg (102301 bytes)
 

2260 Island Avenue, San Diego, Ca. – The railings on the stairs, porch, portico and roof are later additions porch.

2260-island-1.jpg (110393 bytes)    
 

3544 Front Street, San Diego, CA

3544-front-1.jpg (111846 bytes) 3544-front-2.jpg (70730 bytes)  
 

631 21st Street, San Diego, Ca., (1895) Cottage or Folk style. Note the three different style shingles and sawn decorative scrollwork.

631-21st.jpg (98140 bytes)    
 

641 21st Street, San Diego, CA

641-21st-1.jpg (77877 bytes) 641-21st-2.jpg (78380 bytes)  
 

A. H. Frost House, 2456 Broadway, San Diego, Ca. (1897) Classical Revival Style. Architect Irving Gill.

a-h-frost-house-1.jpg (96589 bytes) a-h-frost-house-2.jpg (84309 bytes) a-h-frost-house-3.jpg (97821 bytes)
 

Armstrong House, 119-117-115 20th Street, San Diego, Ca. – (1888) The second story side door and staircase were added later.

armstrong-house-1.jpg (110001 bytes) armstrong-house-2.jpg (87008 bytes) armstrong-house-3.jpg (111592 bytes)
 

Carter House, 2586 Broadway, San Diego, Ca. (1888) 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board #290. Built 1880.”

carter-house-1.jpg (84046 bytes)  carter-house-2.jpg (77040 bytes)  
 

Crellin Cottage, 651 20th Street, San Diego, Ca. (1888) John and Lillie Crellin built this house.
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board. Built 1880. Folk style.”

crelline-cottage-1.jpg (90526 bytes)  crelline-cottage-2.jpg (84263 bytes)  
 

Hollington house

hollington-house-1.jpg (102238 bytes) hollington-house-2.jpg (84470 bytes)  
 

Journeay House, 670 20th Street, San Diego, Ca. (1895) George Journeay built this Queen Anne style house about 1895.
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board. Built 1891.”

journeay-house-1.jpg (136258 bytes)  journeay-house-2.jpg (119832 bytes) journeay-house-3.jpg (116400 bytes)
 

J. B. Spaeth Rental, 1642 State Street, San Diego, Cal. (1888) This Eastlake style house was built by J.B. Spaeth, an early contractor, as a rental.

j-p-spaeth-rental.jpg (81185 bytes)    
 

Mumford House, 1929 Front Street, San Diego, Ca. (1887) Stick style Victorian house.
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board #100. Built 1880

mumford-house.jpg (138332 bytes)    
 

Alphonzo Risley House, 841-845 20th Street, San Diego, Ca. (1888) 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board #171. Built 1888.”

risley-house-1.jpg (103459 bytes)  risley-house-2.jpg (122581 bytes)  
 

Sherman-Hearns House, 633 20th Street, San Diego, Ca. (1887) 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board #160.”

 sherman-hearns-house-1.jpg (94891 bytes) sherman-hearns-house-2.jpg (91157 bytes)  
 

Stuyck House, 542 21st Street, San Diego, Ca. (1887) The side staircase has been a later addition. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board. Built by E. Shaw in 1897.”

stuyck-house-1.jpg (94735 bytes)  stuyck-house-2.jpg (105782 bytes)  
 

W. C. Howard Esq. House, 657 20th Street, San Diego, Ca. (1888-9) W.C. Howard and his wife Mary built their Queen Anne home on 20th street in 1889. The house was constructed with gables over every upstairs window. The sunburst design is featured on the gables as well as the corners of the front windows. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board. Stick style.”

w-c-howard-house-1.jpg (102367 bytes)  w-c-howard-house-2.jpg (99883 bytes)  
 

321 W. Walnut Ave., San Diego

321-w-walnut-1.jpg (91241 bytes) 321-w-walnut-2.jpg (117842 bytes)  
 

602 S Grape Street, Escondido

602-s-grape.jpg (120439 bytes)    
 

637 S Juniper Street, Escondido

637-s-juniper.jpg (94565 bytes)    
 

1632 Union Street, San Diego, Ca. This Queen Anne was built between 1880 and 1886. The part of the building above the red sunburst is a later addition. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board # 123.”

1632-union-1.jpg (67135 bytes) 1632-union-2.jpg (72129 bytes)  
 

1721 4th Avenue, San Diego, Ca. A simple Italianate style with variations of the sunburst which are below the square bay window.

1721-fourth-1.jpg (74533 bytes) 1721-fourth-2.jpg (72956 bytes)  
 

1914 1st Street, San Diego

1914-first-1.jpg (94515 bytes) 1914-first-2.jpg (118418 bytes) 1914-first-3.jpg (85361 bytes)
 

2004 4th Ave., San Diego

2004-fourth-1.jpg (87486 bytes)    
 

2425 1st Ave., San Diego

2425-first-1.jpg (86553 bytes)    
 

3131 5th Ave., San Diego

3131-fifth-1.jpg (83600 bytes) 3131-fifth-2.jpg (77308 bytes) 3131-fifth-3.jpg (52683 bytes)
 

3545 Front Street, San Diego

3545-front.jpg (133030 bytes)    
 

Bandy-Conley House, 638 South Juniper Street, Escondido, Ca. This Queen Anne style house was built in 1891 by Julius Hickok Anderson. 
“National Register of Historic Places. #92001754.”

bandy-conley-house-1.jpg (97184 bytes) bandy-conley-house-2.jpg (102163 bytes) bandy-conley-house-3.jpg (57386 bytes)
 

Albert H. Beach House, 700 South Juniper Street, Escondido, Ca. This Queen Anne style house was built in 1896 by Albert H. Beach. 
“National Register of Historic Places. #93001462.”

beach-house-1.jpg (90631 bytes) beach-house-2.jpg (125443 bytes)  
 

Britt-Scripps House, 406 Maple Street, San Diego, Ca. This Queen Anne style house was built in 1887 by Eugene Britt. In 1896 E.W. Scripps bought this property. Site of the rare Monkey Puzzle Tree. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board # 52.”

britt-scripps-house-1.jpg (109415 bytes) britt-scripps-house-2.jpg (108218 bytes) britt-scripps-house-3.jpg (86752 bytes)
britt-scripps-house-4.jpg (97466 bytes)    
 

Brodrick-Kenney House, 2133 2nd Avenue, San Diego, Ca. This house built in 1886-1888 all of redwood is a stick style rental. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board # 136.”

brodrick-kenny-house-1.jpg (73300 bytes) brodrick-kenny-house-2.jpg (99367 bytes)  
 

Charlotte Bushnell House, 2368 Second Avenue, San Diego, Ca. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board # 136, built in 1895.”

bushnell-charlotte-1.jpg (115125 bytes) bushnell-charlotte-2.jpg (106033 bytes) bushnell-charlotte-3.jpg (79096 bytes)
bushnell-charlotte-4.jpg (50229 bytes)    
 

Gall house, San Marcos

gall-house.jpg (73482 bytes)    
 

Grape Day Park, Escondido, Italian style Farmhouse

grape-day-it-1.jpg (101615 bytes) grape-day-it-2.jpg (110610 bytes)  
 
Grape Day Park, Escondido, Queen Anne style Farmhouse
grape-day-qa-1.jpg (88739 bytes) grape-day-qa-2.jpg (91429 bytes) grape-day-qa-3.jpg (95070 bytes)
 
Oscar M. Hillard Rental, 1610 Union, San Diego, Ca.Built in 1894. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board # 282.”
hillard-oscar-1.jpg (66517 bytes) hillard-oscar-2.jpg (72707 bytes)  
 
“Model House”, 969 West 3rd Avenue, Escondido, Ca. Built in 1886 by the Escondido Land and Town Co. to show prospective buyers what life would be like in the valley.
model-house-1.jpg (86845 bytes) model-house-2.jpg (106295 bytes)  
 

Santa Fe Train Depot, Grape Day Park, 130 Woodward Avenue, Escondido, Ca. Built in 1888 it is a Stick style building. Relocated from West Grand Avenue.

train-depot-1.jpg (93462 bytes) train-depot-2.jpg (73405 bytes) train-depot-3.jpg (75425 bytes)
 

Judge J.H. Turrentine House, 208 East 5th Street, Escondido, Ca. This built in 1886 is a simple Italianate style, believed to be the oldest in Escondido.

turrentine-house-1.jpg (96985 bytes) turrentine-house-2.jpg (94934 bytes)  
 
H.E. Watts House, 1767 2nd Avenue, San Diego, Ca. Built in 1896. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board # 57.”
watts-house.jpg (100600 bytes)    
 
Wiard Family Residence, 3536 Front Street, San Diego, Ca. Built in 1898. 321 West Walnut Avenue, San Diego, Ca. Built in 1891 for Letitia Lovett and was later moved to this location.
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board # 188.” 
wiard-residence.jpg (110356 bytes)    
 
210 Ash Street, San Diego
210-ash-1.jpg (87730 bytes)    
 
1642 State Street, San Diego
1642-state-1.jpg (88024 bytes)    
 
Daniel O. Cook Residence, 1632 State Street, San Diego, Ca. Built in 1898. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board, #279.”
cook-residence-1.jpg (94284 bytes) cook-residence-2.jpg (54544 bytes)  
 
Hunsaker house
hunsaker-house-1.jpg (156683 bytes) hunsaker-house-2.jpg (105638 bytes) hunsaker-house-3.jpg (111053 bytes)
 
Howard M. Kutchin House, 1642-48 Union Street, San Diego, Ca. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board, #284.”
kutchen-1.jpg (81885 bytes)    
 
Ordway-Cassidy House, 1620 Union Street, San Diego, Ca. A Queen Anne style cottage, built in 1888. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board, #278.”
ordway-cassidy-house-1.jpg (98227 bytes) ordway-cassidy-house-2.jpg (113860 bytes)  
 
St. Ann’s Clinic, 1762 Columbia Street, San Diego, Ca. Built in 1890. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board, #272.”
st-annes-clinic.jpg (135285 bytes)    
 
Josiah E. Shaffer Residence, 1665 Union Street, San Diego, Ca. Built in 1896. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board, #254.”
shaffer-residence.jpg (80602 bytes)    
 
Charles A. Tait Rentals, 1764 Columbia Street, San Diego, Ca. A Dutch-Barn style house was built 1n 1892. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board, #273.”
tait-1.jpg (108387 bytes)    
 
Torrance house
torrance-house-1.jpg (155977 bytes) torrance-house-2.jpg (116539 bytes) torrance-house-3.jpg (145245 bytes)
torrance-house-4.jpg (48935 bytes)    
 
3408 6th Avenue, San Diego, Ca. Queen Anne style house.
3408-sixth-1.jpg (115541 bytes) 3408-sixth-2.jpg (109807 bytes) 3408-sixth-3.jpg (95991 bytes)
 
3595 3rd Avenue, San Diego, Ca.
3595-third-1.jpg (117256 bytes) 3595-third-2.jpg (121755 bytes)  
 

Brooks Family House, 3576 3rd Avenue, San Diego, Ca. Queen Anne style built in 1891.
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board, #670.”

brooks-house.jpg (103477 bytes)    
 
George James Keating Residence, 2331 2nd Avenue, San Diego, Ca. George James Keating and his wife Fannie had this Queen Anne house built in 1888. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board, #198.”
keating-residence-1.jpg (159591 bytes) keating-residence-2.jpg (119125 bytes)  
 
Charles Kiessig House, 1407 2nd Avenue, San Diego, Ca. This house is of Italianate style built in 1894 by Charles Kiessig. This house has been in the Kiessig family for 82 years. Part of Kiessig corner (see 210 Ash St.) aka Victoria Square. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board, #110.”
kiessig-house-1.jpg (120896 bytes) kiessig-house-2.jpg (106997 bytes) kiessig-house-3.jpg (102342 bytes)
 
McCormick-Christian House, 1916 3rd Avenue, San Diego, Ca. This house has been the home to several prominent San Diego families. McCormick, Christian, Harfield and Timberlake.
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board, #198. Built in 1893. Back house addition and front steps iron railing altered.”
mccormick-christian-house-1.jpg (90294 bytes) mccormick-christian-house-2.jpg (125302 bytes) mccormick-christian-house-3.jpg (134599 bytes)
 
Major Myles Moylan House, 2214-24 2nd Avenue, San Diego, Ca. Designed by Irving Gill and Joseph Falkenham, built in 1894 by Major Myles Moylan. Major Moylan was a cavalry officer at the Battle of the Little Big Horn. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board, #153.”
moylan-house-1.jpg (106209 bytes) moylan-house-2.jpg (86658 bytes)  
 
Frederick T. Nason House, 2169 1st Avenue, San Diego, Ca. Built in 1902 technically this house is not Victorian but has some Victorian era styling.
nason-house-1.jpg (122925 bytes) nason-house-2.jpg (153815 bytes)  
 
Dr. W. Peper Residence, 1502 6th Avenue, San Diego, Ca. Built in 1894.
peper-residence-1.jpg (86236 bytes) peper-residence-2.jpg (112492 bytes)  
 
Mary Pollack House, 2139 1st Avenue, San Diego, Ca. A shingle style house which is a derivation of the Queen Anne style.
pollack-house.jpg (142607 bytes)    
 
Ernest & Ileen White Residence, 136 Redwood Street, San Diego, Ca. Sometimes called the White-Seifert House, it was built in 1898. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board, #169.”
white-seifert-residence-1.jpg (124108 bytes) white-seifert-residence-2.jpg (159783 bytes) white-seifert-residence-3.jpg (145694 bytes)
 

230 Ceder Street, San Diego, Ca. Italianate style, simple clean lines.

230-ceder.jpg (91698 bytes)    
 

Church, 1901 Market Street, San Diego, Ca. Built in 1892 this Gothic Revival style church has hosted several religious denominations.
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.” 

1901-market-1.jpg (120154 bytes) 1901-market-2.jpg (112273 bytes) 1901-market-3.jpg (105687 bytes)
 

1928 Market Street, San Diego, Ca. A Stick style house built in 1888.
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.” 

1928-market-1.jpg (189503 bytes) 1928-market-2.jpg (175204 bytes)  
 
Alpine Apartments, 1931 Market Street, San Diego, Ca.A Italianate style building built in 1898. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.” 
1931-market.jpg (129754 bytes)    
 
2104 Market Street, San Diego, Ca. A Queen Anne style house built in 1893.
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.” 
2104-market-1.jpg (131307 bytes)    
 
2109 Market Street, San Diego, Ca. A Prarie style house built after 1890.
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.”
2109-market-1.jpg (85499 bytes) 2109-market-2.jpg (103464 bytes)  
 
2214 Market Street, San Diego, Ca. Built in 1900. 
“Historical Landmarks "Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.” 
2214-market-1.jpg (115904 bytes)    
 
2220 Market Street, San Diego, Ca. A Queen Anne style house built in 1890.
"Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.” 
2220-market-1.jpg (128593 bytes) 2220-market-2.jpg (111120 bytes) 2220-market-3.jpg (38016 bytes)
 
2255-2257 Market Street, San Diego, Ca. A Folk style house bilt in 1900. Ernest H. Pefley Architect. 
"Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.” 
2257-market-1.jpg (91012 bytes) 2257-market-2.jpg (80967 bytes)  
 
2417 "A" Street, San Diego, Ca. 
"Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.” 
2417-a-st.jpg (135876 bytes)    
 
2429 Market Street, San Diego, Ca.
2429-market.jpg (89330 bytes)    
 
2445 Market Street, San Diego, Ca. A Neoclassical style house built in 1900.
"Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.” 
2445-market-1.jpg (116507 bytes) 2445-market-2.jpg (63294 bytes)  
 
2456 Market Street, San Diego, Ca. A Prairie style house built in 1900.
"Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.” 
2456-market.jpg (158984 bytes)    
 
2459 Market Street, San Diego, Ca. A Neoclassical house built in 1898.
"Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.”
2459-market-1.jpg (138215 bytes) 2459-market-2.jpg (142046 bytes)  
 
2478 Market Street, San Diego, Ca. A Neoclassical house built in 1901.
"Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.”
2478-market-1.jpg (101464 bytes)    
 
2508 Island Avenue, San Diego, Ca. A Neoclassical house built in 1900.
"Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.”
2508-island-1a.jpg (94089 bytes) 2508-island-2a.jpg (115541 bytes)  
 
4366 Maryland Street, San Diego, Ca.
4366-maryland-1.jpg (135555 bytes) 4366-maryland-2.jpg (139230 bytes)  
 
Clawson-Jones Rental, 1658 Front Street, San Diego, Ca. Built in 1888. A more ornate Italianate style.
clawson-jones-rental-1.jpg (103834 bytes) clawson-jones-rental-2.jpg (109398 bytes)  
 
Falk-Klauber House, 3000 "E" Street, San Diego, Ca. M.D. Falk built this house in 1888, He sold the house to Abraham Klauber in 1892. The house was then expanded, by one-third, over the years. The outside stairs are not original. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board. #122.”
falk-klauber-1.jpg (123814 bytes) falk-klauber-2.jpg (144178 bytes) falk-klauber-3.jpg (127401 bytes)
falk-klauber-4.jpg (127465 bytes) falk-klauber-5.jpg (139071 bytes) falk-klauber-6.jpg (162493 bytes)
 
Edward F. French Rental, 1654 Union Street, San Diego, Ca. This stick style cottage was built in 1888. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board, #285.”
french-rental-1.jpg (82211 bytes) french-rental-2.jpg (35089 bytes)  
 
George Garrettson House, 2410 "E" Street, San Diego, Ca. A Classical Revival style built in 1895. Irving Gill architect. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.”
garrettson-house-1.jpg (139806 bytes) garrettson-house-2.jpg (136880 bytes) garrettson-house-3.jpg (149671 bytes)
 
Alfred Haines House, 2470 "E" Street, San Diego, Ca. This house is not a victorian house. Built in 1908 it shows a Craftsman style, Charles and William Quayle architest's. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.” 
"National Register of Historical Places. #92000966."
haines-house-1.jpg (115998 bytes) haines-house-2.jpg (133738 bytes)  
 
Loring House, 2140-2144 "F" Street, San Diego, Ca. A Italianate style house built in 1893. Possibly built as a rental.
loring-house-1.jpg (125553 bytes) loring-house-2.jpg (121967 bytes)  
 
McKee House, 2460 "B" Street, San Diego, Ca. A Colonial Revival style house built in 1887.
mckee-house-1.jpg (128827 bytes) mckee-house-2.jpg (155520 bytes) mckee-house-3.jpg (166724 bytes)
 
Ordway Residence, 1620 State Street, San Diego, Ca. Built in 1888.
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board, #278.”
ordway-residence-1.jpg (94584 bytes) ordway-residence-2.jpg (81558 bytes)  
 
Rynearson House, 2441 "E" Street, San Diego, Ca. Samuel Rynearson builtthis home in 1898. Possibly designed by Irving Gill. 
“Historical Landmarks Designated by the San Diego Historical Resources Board.#121."
rynearson-house-1.jpg (143906 bytes) rynearson-house-2.jpg (130881 bytes) rynearson-house-3.jpg (165117 bytes)
 
Silberhorn House, 205 West Date Street, San Diego, Ca. This Italianate style house was built in 1895. In 1922 it was the home of George Karl Silberhorn, a Spanish War Veteran.
silberhorn-house-1.jpg (112047 bytes) silberhorn-house-2.jpg (134142 bytes)  
 
Torrey House, 4260 Campus Street, San Diego, Ca. Occupied by Eliza and Margaret Torrey untill 1905.
torrey-house.jpg (95312 bytes)