Search billions of records on


THURSDAY, MAY 31, 1951


click for larger image Aimee Huntington Woodworth, widow of the founder of The Register, passed away peacefully in Yarmouth Hospital, last Friday afternoon, May 25, at the age of 91 years, and funeral services were conducted by Rev. A. G. Bradshaw, Rector, at 2.30 o’clock, Sunday afternoon, in Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Yarmouth, of which she had been a lifelong member. Interment was in Mountain Cemetery, Yarmouth, pallbearers being E. C. Wilson, H. J. Wyman, I. L. Porter, P. L. Judge, Percy Wyman and Arthur Kay.
With Miss K. D. MacKenzie as organist, the choir sang the hymns, "When The Day of Toil Is Over", and "O, Strength and Stay, Upholding All Creation", and when the casket was being carried from the church, the "Nunc Dimittis".

Mrs. Woodworth was born in Yarmouth in January, 1860, the younger daughter of the late Richard Huntington, who was editor and publisher of the Yarmouth Tribune for many years, until his death in 1883, when the paper ceased publication. He was a nephew of Hon. Herbert Huntington, and Mrs. Woodworth was the last representative of one of Yarmouth’s oldest and most distinguished families.

Until two weeks of her death, Mrs. Woodworth was probably the oldest active newspaper woman in Canada, having then spent more than 75 years in writing and editing. On May 10, she wrote the editor of The Register: "My work for The Register is finished, and I am sorry, but all things come to an end, and my end is not far off." Her final illness was painless, and a friend reported early last week that she was "just sleeping her life away – very, very gradually growing weaker."

Mrs. Woodworth began her newspaper career at an early age on the newspaper published by her father, and shortly after his demise went to Yarmouthport, Mass., where she was on the editorial staff of the Cape Cod Item until 1888, when she returned to Nova Scotia to become assistant editor of Hants Journal, at Windsor, remaining in that position until 1897. In October of that year, the Great Windsor Fire that razed practically the whole town, created unemployment for her by destroying the Hants Journal plant, and also rendered her homeless by levelling the residence which she occupied with a nephew, Robert Eakins, a scion of the Eakins family of Yarmouth, who was then developing as a noted musician.

Mrs. Woodworth, herself, was a talented musician, and for some years gave piano lessons while carrying on her newspaper work.

The havoc ensuing from the Windsor fire sent Miss Huntington to Berwick, where John E. Woodworth had established The Register six years previously, and she became a member of The Register staff. The following year, she and Mr. Woodworth were married, and from that time until 1919, when he sold the paper to the late W. L. Hatfield, she indefatigably assisted him in building up the paper.

When The Register was sold, Mr. and Mrs. Woodworth removed to Brooklyn, three miles from Yarmouth, where he passed away in 1929. Two years after his death, Mrs. Woodworth took up residence at Sunset Terrace, Yarmouth, where she spent all her remaining days, until her fatal illness necessitated removal to the hospital, three weeks ago.

During her residence in Brooklyn, Mrs. Woodworth was a contributor to The Register’s columns, and soon after settling at Sunset Terrace, she became a regular contributor of "Thirty Years Ago", and seven years ago, at the age of 84, she began writing "Here And There", a column which proved to be highly interesting and informative, owing to its crisp style and variety of subject matter, which reflected the working of a keen intelligence and, the no less prodigious labor involved in searching out her source material.

The printers who set up Mrs. Woodworth’s manuscript copy – hand-compositors, in the old days, and linotype operators in more recent years – found it a joyous task to read her handwriting, which was so clear and bold that it could be read at a glance. This characteristic continued up to her last contribution, and it was often remarked within the last few months of her work, when it was known she had passed her ninety-first birthday anniversary, that anyone unacquainted with the writer would find it difficult to believe the penmanship was that of a person even half her age.

The memory of Mrs. Woodworth, among those who knew her well, is that of a remarkably talented woman, who lived a long life courageously, imbued with a cheerful faith until the end.