Thursday, August 8, 1912
A Narrow Escape.
In a fishing sloop owned by Captain Charles Haggerty, of Canady Creek, a party of eight pleasure seeking fishermen were run down on Monday afternoon by the schooner Klondyke of Parrsboro and had a thrilling and narrow escape from drowning in the swift running tide. They were on the Dory fishing grounds, about four miles south of Horse Shoe Cove. The party consisted of Hanford Rawding, Rev. Norman A. Whitman, L. J. Whitman, D. Smith, William Rawding, Jr., Richard Whitman, Victor Charlton and P. F. Lawson.
The fishermen had been anchored but a few minutes and five lines were out. The Klondyke was coming up the bay "winged out" and with a swift tide and good working breeze. Those on the boat saw the schooner bearing down upon them and were confident she would easily pass to leeward, but when within not more than half a dozen boat lengths the Klondykes boom was jibed over in an evident attempt to see how closely she could pass the sloop. It was a piece of criminally careless seamanship. The small craft dragging powerfully at her anchor line in the rushing flood tide was helpless and met the quarter of the schooner, bow on, carrying away stay and bowsprit. As the boat swung under the schooners stern her mast fouled the big boom and she was borne down and commenced to fill. It was an old boat, heavily ballasted. To fill meant to sink suddenly with scarcely a chance for life of one on board. Hanford Rawding was quick to realize the danger and calling for a knife which was passed to him by Lemuel Whitman, not a second too soon, he cut the anchor line. Relieved from the drag the boat partially righted but still continued to take in water. Rawding yelled for the men on the Klondyke to lower away a boat but they stood motionless. A swing of the vessel cleared her boom from the boats mast and the sloop righted herself just in time. The Klondyke swept on her way with never a word of regret or promise to pay the damages. The boat without anchor rushed up with the tide as those on board baled her out. Repairs were effected and the run back to Canady Creek wharf quickly made without fish but with a crew happy in their lucky escape.
August 8, 1912
Judgment In Titanic Inquiry
The judgment of the British board of trade court of inquiry into the disaster to the White Star liner Titanic, which sank in mid-ocean with 1517 souls, after collision with an iceberg on April 14, was pronounced by Lord Mersey, the presiding judge, before a large audience on July 30th. The court finds that the collision of the Titanic with the iceberg was due to the excessive speed at which the ship was navigated, that a proper watch was not kept; that the ships boats were properly lowered, but that arrangements for manning them were insufficient; that the Leyland liner Californian might have reached the Titanic if she had attempted to do so; that the track followed was reasonably safe, with proper vigilance, and that there was no discrimination against third-class passengers in the saving of life. The court of inquiry exonerates J. Bruce Ismay, chairman and managing director of the White Star Line and Sir Cosmo Duff-Gordon, one of the passengers form any charges of improper conduct. The judgement recommends more watertight compartments in seagoing ships, the provision of lifeboats for all on board, and more efficient drill of the crew as well as a better lookout.
AUGUST 8, 1912
Mr. and Mrs. James C. Pineo, of Hyde Park, Mass., celebrated the twenty-fifth anniversary of their marriage on the evening of Wednesday, July 31st, at their home, 39 Mattakeeset Street, in that city. Mr. and Mrs. Pineo are both natives of the Cornwallis Valley. He is the eldest son of Mrs. Elizabeth and the late I. S. Pineo, Esq., of Waterville. Mrs. Pineo, formerly Miss Alice S. Eagles was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Eagles, of Canard. They were married on July 31, 1887, in the Dorchester Street Methodist Church in South Boston, by the Rev. V. A. Lewis, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Boston, assisted by the Rev. James Yeames, pastor of the Dorchester Street Church, and the Rev. Abijah Hall, a retired Baptist clergyman.
Some 500 invitations were issued for the Anniversary celebration and there was a large attendance of friends and relatives. Mr. Pineos mother, who has passed her eightieth year, was present from Waterville, accompanied by her daughter, Mrs. Burgess MacMahon. The reception was held on the lawn, which with the gardens, presented a magnificent spectacle, being illuminated with hundreds of electric lights and Japanese lanterns. Mrs. W. Alcott, Mrs. Pineos sister, who was her bridesmaid in 1887, assisted Mr. and Mrs. Pineo in receiving. The canopy under which the receiving party stood bore the illuminated inscription, "1887-July 31-1912." The refreshment table presented a most attractive appearance. The Anniversary cake, with its inscription, was prominent in the centre. Back of the grandstand was an electrically illuminated five-pointed star.
From the street to the front door a canopy was enclosed and carpeted. Within the house the decorations were of cut flowers with ranking rows of ferns separating the parlors from the dining-room, where the gifts were displayed.
These gifts were of the rarest kind of cut glass and of silver. One much admired and prominent was an electric lamp of cut glass and silver with large base and reflectors. This was from Mr. Pineos associates in the firm of Bachelder & Snyder, of which firm he is a member and one of the directors.
Mr. Robert S. Coffin, of the Boston Chamber of Commerce, was Director of Ceremonies. Burgess Pineo, Wm. F. Alcott, Thomas Forsyth, (of Milton) and Arnold Bentley, were the ushers. Chester and Harry Pineo and John Alcott were the pages. Roger Alcott had charge of the anniversary book in which the guests were invited to register their names.
The New England Decorative Company had charge of decorations; Mr. Rose, of Mattapan, was caterer. Music was furnished by Mr. Nickersons Orchestra of Hyde Park.
The beauty of the surroundings, the gala celebration, combined with strains of music as couples wandered through the lovely gardens, reminded one of the Lohengrin Bridal Procession or of the Midsummer Nights Dream.
Just before the farewells were said Dr. Brown spoke very feelingly of the services that Mr. and Mrs. Pineo had rendered to the church of which he had been a former pastor. Mr. Pineo responded to a call for a speech, expressing, in his usual hearty manner, the great pleasure that it had afforded him to welcome his friends to his home on this occasion and extending them, one and all, an invitation to be present at his golden wedding.
Mr. and Mrs. Pineo have lived in Hyde Park for twenty years. They have five children: Edith A., Burgess S., James L., Chester T., and Harry E. Harry and Chester are students at Colby Academy. Mr. Pineo is a member of Massachusetts Lodge, A. F. and A. M., a charter member of America Lodge, I.O.O.F., and a past member of Paul Revere Encampment, I.O.O.F., all of Boston.