Thursday, December 21, 1905
Re-Dedication of Baptist Church.
Sunday was a red letter day for the Lunenburg Baptists. Their church which has been undergoing extensive repairs, was rededicated with appropriate services. Three services were held and all were well attended.
The exercises opened at eleven oclock. Rev. A. F. Browne, of Mahone Bay, preached the sermon. His discourse was fervent and timely, and was based on Romans 14;7, "For none of us liveth to himself and none dieth to himself." He applied the text to the relation of the stronger brother to the weaker, and the obligation resting on the Christian church to send the gospel to all the world. There were special anthems by the choir. Mrs. Schurman sang a solo, "Come unto me," with pleasing effect.
The church was packed at the afternoon services. The rededicatory sermon was preached by Rev. Henry Todd DeWolfe, Principal of Acadia Seminary, in the absence of President Trotter of Acadia University, who was detained by illness. Rev. Mr. DeWolfes theme was "The Great Revival," based on the ministration of John the Baptist. It was a powerful and eloquent discourse, Rev. G. C. Wallis, of St. Johns Episcopal Church, delivered an address, speaking on the cross, one of the emblems in the new window. Rev. David Frame, of the Presbyterian Church, read the scripture lesson. Rev. J. Appleby, of the Methodist Church, sang a solo in a very acceptable manner.
The evening services were well attended despite the inclement weather. The pastors of the town assisted in the services. Rev. H. T. DeWolfe preached the sermon from the text, "Sir, we would see Jesus," John 12;20. He referred to the souls great desire to know of God, of life and destiny. It was an eloquent and scholarly discourse. Rev. W. M. Weaver, president of the Ministerial association, delivered a short congratulatory address, and Pastor Schurman made a fitting response. The music was a pleasing feature. Mrs. Schurman and Miss Lou Mason sang a duet, which was much appreciated. George W. Silver rendered a solo in a faultless manner. A quartette was also well rendered by Mrs. Schurman, Miss Mason, Mr. Silver and Welsney Young. The anthems by the choir were highly enjoyed.
The improvements which cost $1,200 transformed a plain building into a beautiful new edifice. Work was commenced last spring, when a fine tower was built under the capable supervision of Stannage Morash, the plans being gratuitously furnish by Architect Fairn, of Aylesford. The walls and ceiling are covered with metallic sheathing of beautiful design which has been finely decorated by S. E. Mack the blending and shading of the frieze being much admired. The building is lighted by electric light four branches with brass fixtures. Frank Powers supplied the furnace which heats the building. The windows have been changed from painted glass to ground glass with cathedral tops. A choir platform has also been added. A fine communion table was presented by Capt. Howard Whynacht and Thomas Heckman.
The leaded glass window above the church entrance was presented by Mrs. Sophia Young. The lower panel bears the name of the donor, the name of the church and date of organization, also the Latin motto, Non Nobis Solum (not merely for ourselves). The diagram in the middle panel consists of three emblems; the triangle representing the Trinity, the circle, the sign of eternity, and the cross, the sign of Christianity. The upper panel is embellished with a flower.
The building, which was of a very plain type of architecture before being renovated, was originally dedicated on January 1, 1885. The congregation was organized on June 26th, of the same year.
Rev. S. W. Schurman, Acadia, B. A., entered upon his duties as pastor, little over two years ago, and under his ministration the congregation has grown and prospered. Progress and Enterprise (Dec. 6.)