Wednesday, May 12, 1926
How Kentville Received Its Name
I wonder how many of the residents of Kings County know how Kentville received its name. The following from the Recorder of April 15th, 1826 one hundred years ago will enlighten them:
"At a meeting lately held by the subscribers toward building a central schoolhouse for Kings County, upon an extended plan, in that part of Horton which, being at one extremity of the township, and having no distinguishing name formally bestowed upon it, has of late generally received the absurd epithet of Horton Corner; it was unanimously agreed by those present, (being the most of the principal inhabitants of the place), the High Sheriff of the County in the chair, that in honor of the memory of His late Royal Highness the Duke of Kent, so generally esteemed in this colony, their increasing village should be called "Kentville," and the proposed seminary have the name of the "Kentville Public School." This building, besides the larger room appropriated to the introduction of the Madras system, and the accommodation of a Sunday School of nearly 70 scholars, is to contain another for a Grammar School, or a female teacher, as circumstances may require; and it is also contemplated to establish there a public Library. The Indian name for the place was "Penooek" meaning Pineos place. It was settled by the English in 1760.
"There are now (1826) at Kentville, and its vicinity, two grist mills, two manufactories for fulling and dyeing cloth, and two buildings containing machines for carding wool, besides a flax mill nearly completed.
"Such establishments for advancing our domestic manufactures rank next in character to, and are essentially connected with our agriculture, and tend to accelerate our progress towards independence by conducing to lighten the balance of trade now so much against us.
"We hope that the voluntary tribute of gratitude from this portion of the country to the memory of the illustrious friend of Nova Scotia, will not be lost sight of, and that the village, in which stands the Court House of Kings County will, in future, be known by the name of Kentville."