Wednesday Evening, May 26, 1926
Acadia Seminary Will Be No More
Place of this Well Known Institution to be Taken by Model High School.
Announcement is made that Acadia Ladies Seminary, Wolfville, known during the past forty-seven years throughout the three provinces for its broad and thorough education for girls, is about to retire into the traditions of the past, having yielded up its spirit to the cause of Modernity and progress. With the graduating class of 1926, Acadia Seminary steps down from the throne where she has held away for many years, guiding with her sceptre of knowledge the lives of between three and four thousand young women in their most impressionable period. The wheels of progress are revolving, and the passing of this female institution illustrates that educational methods and ideals are altering with the spirit and needs of the times.
Its place will in future be taken by a model High School for both sexes, which will function within the department of Education of the University. Its curriculum will be scientifically organized and comprehensive enough to meet the needs of all its students. It will also afford opportunity for University students looking toward the teaching profession, to study school organization and management, to observe expert teaching and to do some practise teaching under expert supervision.
A College of Household Economics and Fine Arts for which college matriculation is required will become a part of the proposed reorganization. The present Seminary Building will be remodelled and used for classroom and laboratory purposes.
At first known s Grand Pre Seminary this school was originally located on the site now occupied by the Royal Hotel. Its first Principal was Miss Alice Shaw, a graduate of Mt. Holyoke, (who later became the wife of the late Rev. Alfred Chipman of Berwick) and it was upon the ideals of that famous school that the three succeeding Principals, Miss Townsend, Miss Emerson and Miss Eaton acted. Becoming later an integral part of Horton Academy, it began in the year 1879 a separate existence, under the principalship of Miss Marie Woodworth (who later became Mrs. (Dr) J. F. Tufts) who carried on the work with efficiency and marked success.
She was succeeded by Miss Mary E. Graves, who for a number of years efficiently managed the affairs of the Seminary, and was followed by Miss Wadsworth, Dr. J. H. MacDonald, Miss True and Dr. H. T. DeWolfe. The latter was in charge for twenty-four years, during which period a number of new departments were added and the equipment enlarged.