Search billions of records on

Burlington (unless noted) & Other Community Columns from "The Register"

February 10th, 1897 - Burlington: Mr. Spurgeon McBride, who has been ill with measles, has recovered and is able to be out. The other measles' patients are recovering, with the exception of Mr. Leverette McBride, who is seriously ill.

March 10th 1897 - Burlington: This community was shrouded in gloom at the sudden death of one of our young men Mr. Leverette McBride, which took place Monday morning, March 1st, 4 a.m. Mr. McBride has been in ill health since May but every hope was entertained for his complete recovery. In January he contracted measles. His recovery was slower than expected, and to the surprise and grief of all he passed away on Monday morning. Leverette was the youngest son of Alfred McBride and about 23 years old. His sunny disposition and numerous good qualities, endeared him to the hearts of all. The sympathies of this people are with the afflicted in the hour of sad bereavement. Internment on Thursday afternoon at Burlington cemetry where the remains of his sister lie. A expressive and consoling sermon was preached at the house by Rev. Mr. Bishop our resident pastor. Though at a season of the year when flowers are very scarce, the beautiful coffin bore a beautiful wreath, the gift of loving hearts. The bad roads and stormy day did not prevent the friends of the deceased from paying the last tribute too the departed dead.

March 10th 1897 - Woodlawn: Mr. Leverette McBride who had been ill for some months, passed away Monday morning. We extend our sympathy to the bereaved family.

January 19th 1898 - Burlington: It is rumored that we are to have a singing school at Burlington. Mr. Andrew McBride is to be the teacher. We wish him every success in his undertaking.

February 23rd 1898 - Burlington: A number of our young people attended the Pleasant Street concert on Tuesday evening. The singing under the direction of Mr. Andrew McBride, of Victoria Harbor, was exceptionally good, and Mr. McBride deserves much praise for his labours in that locality. An entertainment was then given by the estimable teacher, Miss Cassie Daniels, of Paradise, and her pupils. A scene entitled "A Matrimonial Advertisement" elicited much applause, and a dialogue entitled "Our Home," rendered by the infant children of Leander Rand, of that place, created much amusement. A dialogue entitled "The New Scholar" was also applauded loudly, then a solo by a trio of little girls was highly appreciated. After the interesting programme was concluded Prof. Hyland was called on for a speech and laughingly complied. Thus we spent a useful and instructive evening and on looking back we wish to thank Miss Daniels for her interest and labours with her pupils in render such an interesting programme.

March 30th 1898 - Burlington: Chester Lutz, Welton Parmeter, Stanley Armstrong, Spurgeon McBride, and Elwood Marshall, have lately gone to the States.

March 30th 1898 Woodlawn: Mr. Elwood Marshall and Mr. Spurgeon McBride left Woodlawn on the 26th, for the United States.

May 11th 1898 - Harbourville - Capt. Samuel McBride and daughter, Emma, spent Saturday last with friends in Kentville.

November 16th 1898 - Burlington and Vicinity: Mr. Alfred McBride is very ill.

December 20, 1899

A Pretty Wedding at Harborville

On Tuesday evening, Dec. 12th, the home of Capt. Samuel McBride, Harborville, was the scene of a very pretty home wedding, when a large circle of his friends came to witness the pretty but solemn event, the marriage of his daughter Emma, one of Harborville’s most esteemed young ladies, to Mr. William R. Connor, of Boston. Capt., McBride was assisted in receiving by Mrs. Caldwell and Mrs. Charles McBride. The guests numbered a bout seventy. At just 8.30 o’clock the musician, Miss Sophia Parker, took her seat at the organ and played the wedding march from "Lohengrin" in a grand and beautiful tone, when the passage was cleared away and the groom marched in and took his stand under a very beautiful floral arch arranged for the occasion. The bride followed, supported by the arm of her father, who gave her away. The bridesmaids were the Misses Jennie and Delia McBride. The bride’s pastor, Rev. Mr. Prestwood, performed the ceremony which made them husband and wife.

The bride looked charming. She was attired in blue silk with trimmings of white satin ribbon, shirred, and wore white kid slippers, with white roses and maiden-hair fern in her hair and carried in her hand a bouquet. The bridesmaids looked very pretty in dresses of white dotted swiss muslin over pink, with trimmings of pink and white satin ribbon and wore white slippers. Many beautiful gowns were worn by the ladies.

After congratulations were extended to the happy couple and many good wishes were lavished on them, refreshments were served, consisting of everything nice, after which the attention was turned to chatting and all were made to feel right at home. So merrily flew the hours that midnight had come before the guests began to think of parting.

The presents were many and displayed the high appreciation in which the young couple were held by the donors. The groom’s present to the bride was a handsome gold bracelet, and to the bridesmaids a handsome gold broach to each. From the guests were: - A beautiful shade lamp from Mr. and Mrs. Peter Connor; ice cream set of china, Mr. and Mrs. D. B. Parker; handsome silver fruit basket, Mr. and Mrs. Bloomfield Morris; glass water pitcher, Mr. and Mrs. E. L. Morris; dainty lemonade set, Ingram Connor; hand painted china toilet set, Willie McNeily and Fredy Ayer; set of table doylies, Mrs. Caldwell; handsome silver butter dish from the Misses Sophia Parker, Sophia Cook and Lucy Cahill; decorated glass tea service, Cassie and Payson Cahill; china cup and saucer, Lemuel Brown; carving set, Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Morris; silver sugar shell, Capt. and Mrs. John Cook; silver sugar shell, Henry Kenneally; a beautiful hand painted mantle drapery; Mr. and Mrs. Balcom; set of china sauce plates, Arlie Morris; pair of linen towels, the Misses Eva and Leota Balcom; centrepiece of drawn work, Miss Nicholson; china toilet set, Alice Porter; hand made kerchief case and toilet mat, Mrs. Geo. Porter; water pitcher, Mrs. Geo. Collins; dainty cup and saucer, Parker Slocumb; picture frame, Mrs. Jimmie Morris; picture frame, Purl Morris, pretty mirror, Eva Morris; photograph album, Christopher Perry; pair vases, Vinton Coonan; china salad dish, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Curry; set of souvenir glasses, the Misses Leveta and Beatrice Morris; Perfume atomizer, Mrs. McKenny; pretty vase, Flora Morris; vase, Mrs. Cahill; pickle dish, Hazen Armstrong; set of china fruit plates, Mr. and Mrs. D. P. Chute; envelopes with different sums of money enclosed, from members of the family, amounting to the sum of one hundred dollars.

The happy couple started last Saturday for Boston, where they will reside in the future. And as they go from us, we regret to part with such an earnest church worker as Mrs. Connor was. We will miss her at Bible class, at prayer meeting and Endeavour.

The prayer of their many friends as they separate from us is:

"May the Father of Peace and Compassion,

May the King of the land and the sea,

May He who kept watch over Israel

Keep watch between us and thee."


August 17, 1911 - Harborville - Mrs. William Connor, of Wakefield, Mass., and Mrs. William Caldwell and son Robert, of Yarmouth, are visiting their father, Capt. Samuel McBride.

Mrs. William Connor, of Wakefield, Mass., and Mrs. William Caldwell and son Robert, of Yarmouth, are visiting their father, Capt. Samuel McBride.

Capt. Charles McBride and family have returned to their home in Waterville.

From John Parker's work

McBride, Andrew, died at Aylesford, [Sat],3 Feb 1912, age 72 years.[15 Feb 1912 obituary].

McBride, George Arthur, formerly of Harborville, married at New Orleans, LA., 15 Oct 1912, to Jean Hope Graves [sic[Groves]], Granville Ferry. [28 Nov 1912].

Parker, Daniel Boyd, Harborville, married at Harborville, 27 Dec 1911, to Jennie Laura McBride, d/o Capt. Samuel McBride. [4 Jan 1912 write up].

McBride, George A., born to at New Orleans, Louisiana, 23 May 1915, a son.[2 June 1915].

Audber McBride, Boston, spending Christmas with his father, Capt. Samuel McBride [29 Dec 1915 Harborville col.].

Caldwell, Harriet Lenora , died at Yarmouth, 22 Feb, 51 years, w/o W. M. Caldwell, d/o Capt. Samuel McBride, Harborville. [3 Mar 1926 obituary p.1].

McBride, Captain Perley, born to at Berwick, 6 May 1926, a son. [12 May 1926].

Ogilvie, Abram, died at Burlington, Kings Co., NS, 18th, 77 years, s/o Bedford Ogilvie, Abram b. 1849, m. Annie d/o late Peter McBride, a sister of Capt. Samuel McBride. [26 May 1926 write-up].

Connor, Mrs. Emma E., wid/o Wm. R. Connor, d/o Capt. Samuel & Mehetable McBride, Harborville, died at VG Halifax, 28 June 1930, 62 years, burial in Berwick. [2 July 1930 obituary].

McBride, Capt. William, died at Kentville, 10 Jan 1930, age 65 years, s/o Capt. Samuel McBride, Harborville, m. Winnifred , d/o John Redden.[15 Jan 1930 obit p.1].


The Register Wednesday Evening April 20th, 1927


At this time I am presenting some Harbourville ship-building facts, for the benefit of the readers of the Register, and more especially our fellow suburbanite - for part of the year - S.C. Parker, Esq., whose exceedingly reminiscences are appearing in the columns of the Register weekly. I do this the more cheerfully, because it conclusively proves what I have heretofore said, about our prosperity over here before Confederation and its accompanying evils choked us off and sent our young blood over to Uncle Sam. Of course it was in their blood, for even over here our ancestors also were of that noble band of men and women, who when the Tea incident occurred in Boston Harbor, would not fight against the King, and so migrated to the nearest spot under their own flag - Nova Scotia. So when the evil days "struck in" our youngsters felt the urge "of the blood" and hiked south, and so persistently did they go that it is said today that there are more Kings County boys and girls living in Boston and its suburbs there are in Kings County, Nova Scotia. Brother Parker [S.C.] estimates that in those days there were no ships built at Harbourville, but that in the later years little dinky ships like Ben Bezanson’s motor boat were actually built, and he ably assisted in launching them.

Cast your eagle eye over this list, dear friend, and also bear in mind that between the years mentioned there were three and four hulls on the stocks at a time. Here are a few of them-

Away back in 1850, the late Jimmie Hamilton, who had inherited a big slice of land here from his father, an Empire Loyalist, who in turn had received it from his King, started in and built a little coaster, of about fifty tons. That started the ship-building industry at Harbourville, and before two years had rolled around, practically every piece of available place of land near tide water was an embryo ship-yard.

About a year after Jimmy Hamilton built his little coaster, the keel was laid in that same Emmerson Spicer yard "Chip" mentions, for a 1300 ton full rigged ship. It cannot now be learned definitely for whom she was built, but the builder was the late Charles Barteaux. In due time this ship was launched and got ready for sea, with the late Captain Harry McArthur as her master. For years she plied the waters of the Seven Seas, running between the ports of New York and the Orient, which by the way was her name. She ended her career years afterwards by being burnt at sea.

By this time Charlie Barteaux was putting the finishing touches to the Barque "Eskimo", whose Captain, when she was ready for sea, I am unable to name. But Charlie was not through yet, for he had the two-master "Saladin" to finish up and get her into the sea, where she belonged," which was did" and with the late Captain Card she sailed between Nova Scotia and Boston, Philadelphia, New York and other ports for years, finally being lost at sea.

Then along the "Ida", another two master, built for Captain Sam McBride (now deceased), who sailed her for years until she also finally disappeared beneath the waves.

Next came the "Harvest Queen", also a two-master, which in the hands of Captain Will Grimes proved a "fast one". This vessel met a tragic fate, while homeward bound racing in a bitter gale, and never came back, nor any of her crew. But that will be a future story as Kipling would say.

She was followed on the stocks, by the two-master "Fannie Given", built by the late Alex Given, and when ready for sea was put in command of the late Captain W. Connelly, and was in the Harbourville-Boston trade. It was this ship that the "Harbourville Queen" was racing home with, when she and her crew were lost.

Then Alex. Given built a Brigantine, which when launched was named the "John Given", and under the command of Captain Fisher, was one of the Boston-Harbourville fleet, that made our burg the prosperous place it was in those days.

In the meantime, Charlie Barteaux was finishing the Barque, "A.C. Jones", and she also took her place in the Harbourville money-makers. I am sorry I could not learn who her master was.

Now, friend "Chip", these ships were all built between the year of our Lord 1850 and the year 1865.

The brig "Goldfinder" was built and launched in 1866 and was sailed for years by the late Captain Sam McBride, father of Captain Charlie McBride of Waterville and Captain Will McBride, of Kentville.

The next was the schooner "Dreadnaught" which was completed in 1870 launched, and in command of the late Captain Brown, sailed the southern waters for years.

She was followed by the Brigantine "Eva Parker", built by the late D.B. Parker in 1873,and captained by the late Captain Ingram Slocumbe, also made good for many years.

Next came the Brigantine "Sadie", builder unknown, but with Captain Johnnie Charlton, made good.

In 1874,the two-master "Playfair" took the water at Harbourville, builder likewise forgotten, and under the command of Captain Lockhardt Morris, now living in Rockland, Maine, was a valuable unit of the Harbourville fleet, until she met her fate years later "somewhere at sea".

1880 saw the launching of the two-master "Misty Morn", commanded by the late Captain Peter Connor. By this time "Chip", Confederation began to get its work, as well as what Uncle Sam did to us, on account of our butting in when he had his little private scrap with his Southern States, and poor old Harbourville got it "in the neck" until there is nothing left but the poor old wreck on the hill; Bloom Morris and one or two more. Even Commodore Perry has left us, but we still have our Board of Trade, which does not take a back seat to any board in the province. Captain Curry is ready for sea with a load of Fred Fisher’s apples; so also is Captain Dixon, with a cargo from elsewhere.

Miss Jennie Fisher visited her aunt, Mrs. Bernard Morris, during the week.

Fred S. Fisher, of Somerset, laid of his fight about apple inspection long enough to haul over several loads of apples for shipment across the Bay. He reports hard hauling, especially up the mountain.

I must not forget not to place on record Captain Charles I. McBride, of Waterville, one of our old Harbourville boys, also that veteran of every sea on earth, Captain I.B. Morris, who probably has "boxed the compass", around Cape Horn oftener than any other living sea-faring man on this entire coast, who is well remembered in every port of the Orient, and who by the way in his four-score neighborhood, still navigates his handsome two-sticker yacht during winter cruises to Southern waters. It is to these gentlemen I am indebted for the above story of Harbourville ships.

The "Ruby L. "arrived Saturday with merchandise, making her second trip of the season. She left for up the bay after discharging cargo.

The Register,

Wednesday Evening, January 15, 1930


Captain William McBride Of Kentville Passed Away Friday Night – Was Native Of Harborville.

Captain William McBride, one of Kentville’s most prominent citizens, passed away on Friday evening, Jan. 10th, following a three week’s illness. Captain McBride, who was 65 years of age, was the son of the late Captain Samuel McBride of Harborville. From early youth he followed the sea, rising from cabin boy to master of the United Fruit Company steamers until his return from the sea twenty-five years ago.

When the war broke out Captain McBride immediately volunteered for service and was captain of a number of transport ships conveying Canadian troops overseas. He was prominent in civic affairs in the Town of Kentville, being for fifteen years a member of the Town Council. He was a member of Kentville Lodge No. 58 A. F. & A. M., and of the United Church.

Beside his wife, who was a daughter of the late John Redden of Kentville, he is survived by two sons, John McBride of Berwick, and Malcolm in the Southern United States; one daughter, Mrs. Marion Evans, Dietician at the Nova Scotia Sanatorium; three brothers, Audber, of Boston Mass.; Fred, of North Adams, Mass., and Captain George of New Orleans; also two sisters, Mrs. Emma Connors and Mrs. D. B. Parker, Harborville. One brother, Captain Charles I. McBride, of Waterville, predeceased him about a year ago.

The funeral was held from the residence on Sunday at 2.30 o’clock, conducted by the Rev. A. A. McLeod, pastor of the United Church and the Masonic Order, of which the deceased was a highly esteemed member. The Masons also took charge at the grave. Eight of his fellow Masons were pall-bearers. The funeral was largely attended and the floral offerings were many and very beautiful.

Berwick Register,

June 26th , 1935

Veteran Master Mariner Embarks On Last Voyage

Capt. I. B. Morris of Harborville, Rugged Seafarer of the Days of "Wooden Ships and Iron Men," Passes in 87th Year.

Captain I. Bloomfield Morris of Harborville, one of the most widely known master mariners of the Bay Shore and last of Harborville’s great army of sea-farers of the days of "wooden ships and iron men," passed away at Western Kings Memorial Hospital, Friday morning, June 21, following an operation after a few days illness.

Son of the late Isaac Morris and Rachel Robinson Morris, Captain "Bloom" although in his 87th year, was of a particularly rugged type and enjoyed the best of health until stricken a few days before his death. Commencing his long and active sea-faring career at the early age of fifteen, as cabin boy under the late Capt. Samuel McBride of Harborville, he had followed the sea for upwards of half a century, for nearly forty years as commander of staunch craft that sailed the Seven Seas.

Retiring some thirty years ago he had devoted his time and attention mostly to the handling of pleasure craft, maintaining a yacht in which he made regular annual cruises to Southern Atlantic ports. He had only recently returned from a winter spent on the coast of Florida, and had just superintended the building of a tender for his vessel at Scott’s Bay, when he was seized with the illness which resulted fatally.

His wife, who accompanied him on many of his voyages, predeceased him about six years ago. Two children died in infancy.

Funeral services were held from the Harborville church Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock, conducted by the Rev. W. J. Dean. Interment was in Berwick cemetery.


April 13, 1972


Harbourville’s Sea Heroes

Following is a continuation of a story published recently in The Register, concerning Harbourville’s men of the sea. Taken from the Morning Chronicle of 50 years ago, our thanks are again extended to Randolph Clem, Weston, for contributing the clipping.

It may safely be said that the article published by The Morning Chronicle of Thursday last, under the caption of "Harbourville Deep Sea Captains and Men," who went down to the sea in ships and never came back, attracted a vast deal of attention not only along the coast of Nova Scotia, but miles away from the sea. Even at that, the story told by your correspondent, was only a teeny mite of what can be told, even of such a quiet retreat as Harbourville, and doubtless other coast towns and hamlets will have others to tell when they wake up and realize that stories of the sea will also command the attention of red blooded men and women, no matter whether they live near the sea or on the western prairies.

Harbourville has had deep sea Captains and men, some of whom are still with us, who have been honored not only by our own, but foreign Governments, for exceptional bravery at sea, in the saving of shipwrecked crews and passengers. She has lost men, who died a peaceful death at home after fifty or sixty years of strenuous life rounding Cape Horn, who, when the war was on, and men of known bravery and experience were sorely needed, left their retirement and at full three score years and then took ships from Nova Scotia to England and France through the danger zone, so that the fighting armies of the Allies should have food. Thanks be to the Lord, she has some of them still living, ready at the call of duty, to repeat the performance of those "who have gone before." Take, for instance, the case of Captain John Cook, deceased a couple of years or so ago. Captain John Cook had the distinguished honor of receiving from the President of the United States a few years ago, a valuable gold watch and chain, together with the thanks of the United States Government for his heroism at sea in saving the lives of the shipwrecked crew of the American ship "Raven’s Wing."

While the war was on and men were badly needed to command ships, Captain John Cook, then way above his seventieth year, volunteered for service, and took the four masted schooner Ade Tower on her maiden trip across the Atlantic, safely escaping subs and mines. He brought a return cargo to New York and then returned to his home at Harbourville, a nervous wreck, due to that trip. He died a couple of years later, leaving a son, who was at one time Captain of the Dominion Coal Co. barge Grandee, and now a dentist residing at Berwick.

Then, it’s only a few years ago, during one of the worst blizzards this port of Harbourville ever saw, in the early spring, the alarm came from Black Rock that Henry Dickey and his son had been carried to sea in an open dory, and asking help as there wasn’t a single boat afloat at Black Rock. Word was immediately passed from the hotel at Harbourville to the gallant mariners of Harbourville, but the only boat afloat was a small schooner owned and commanded by Captain Ed. Curry, who, by the way, is another nephew of Senator Curry’s, and she had a hole stove through her bottom big enough for a man to crawl through. However, they were not welchers. They went to work and covered the hole with canvas, called for volunteers and got off just before the tide left her. This was on a Saturday and the storm was so desperate that the little schooner could not be seen from the shore less than 500 feet away, when she passed out at the end of the wharf.

During occasional rifts in the storm their passage was followed with a marine glass from the balcony of the hotel, and they were making bad weather of it but they were sailors, out to rescue lives, and they hung diamond. Finally away over towards Spencers Island they were observed picking up their men. They got them just in time, for as they reached them and grabbed them their boat sank. It took them all Saturday night to beat back to Harbourville, and on Sunday morning about 4 o’clock they anchored off Harbourville and signaled they had the men safe and sound. And word was immediately telephoned to their families. However that story was exclusively published in The Morning Chronicle, and through that story the Dominion Government presented Capt. Curry with a handsome and valuable gold watch, suitably engraved and a silver watch to the volunteers who went with him.

Harbourville has good reasons for being in the lime light. The wreck of the New Bedford schooner, from New Bedford, bound for Cape De Verde Islands, with passengers and crew numbering 38 precious souls, was wrecked and sunk off Harbourville a few hundred feet from shore, and every life lost and no bodies ever found.

That story, through your correspondent, was also first given to the world through The Morning Chronicle. Up to the time of the discovery of the mishap the schooner had not even been missed and it was through the publicity so promptly given by The Morning Chronicle that before noon of the day on which it appeared the home port of the schooner was located at New Bedford, Mass., and full particulars received as to her passenger list and crew, etc.

Harbourville is again noted at the time of the wreck of the Atlanta, off Halifax, when it was a Harbourville Captain who removed the cargo from that ship and took it to New York.

Among the other prominent deep sea captains, Harbourville men, who have peacefully passed away during the past few years, was Captain Sam McBride, truly a Viking of the Sea, physically as well as every other way. He was a six footer, built in proportion and in his prime was some man. Although he had no particularly startling experiences at sea, he has left behind him some worth while sea captains in the shape of his sons, Captain Will McBride, now of Kentville. Captain Charlie McBride, now residing in Waterville, and Captain George McBride, sailing from southern waters.

The McBride family, of Harbourville, certainly carries the banner for furnishing deep sea captains, even the third generation being represented on the high seas, in the person of Captain Perley McBride, a son of Captain Charlie McBride, and a grandson of Captain Sam McBride.

Captain Sam also had two brothers, namely Henry and Bert, who ploughed the seas of the world for years, and left honorable records.

Then there was another veteran of the seas in the person of the late Captain Isaac Cook, who after years of a seafaring life passed peacefully to his rest, but he also has a son following in his footsteps, Captain Melbourne Cook, sailing out of southern ports.

And so the story might be continued indefinitely, and yet not half told, but it is written with the hope that some of our other coast hamlets may come out with their stories of the sea and so remind the present generation of the glories of this old Province by the Sea, and encourage them in seeing to it that these glories do not fade.