WEDNESDAY EVENING, OCTOBER 15, 1924
Stately St. Andrews Church, Kings Street, Toronto, was the scene of one of the loveliest as well as the most interesting of autumn weddings, when Margaret Hooper, daughter of Rev. A. Wylie Mahon and Mrs. Mahon, became the bride of Mr. Charles Herbert Best, M. A., son of Dr. And Mrs. H. H. Best of Pembroke, Maine, and co-discoverer with Dr. Frederick Banting of "Insulin". Miss Mahon is a B. A. of University College, 1923, and it was at the University that the young people first met.
Rev. A. Wylie Mahon officiated at the marriage of his daughter to the brilliant young scientist on Sept. 3rd, at three oclock in the afternoon, and assisting him was Rev. Stuart Parker. Dr. Norman Anderson presided at the organ, and the service was fully choral.
As the bridal procession came up the aisle, the choir of fifty voices sang "The Voice That Breathed Oer Eden", and deeply impressive was the chanting of the stately 67th Psalm. Immediately following the taking of the vows by the young couple, "Oh Perfect Love" was also sung. As the bridal party left the church, Dr. Anderson played Mendelssohns wedding march. The alter and chancel of the church were beautifully done with palms and delicately shaded asters.
Ordinary brocaded crepe with apron effect of chantilly lace was the brides gown; the court train was of georgette, lined with petal pink, and caught on the shoulders with lovers knots. The tulle veil, which fell gracefully of the train, was arranged with orange blossoms. The brides shower bouquet was an unusual and very lovely one of pink and white cosmos. Her only ornament was a necklace of pearls.
Miss Emma Linda Mahon, the brides sister, and Miss Hilda Best, the grooms sister, were bridesmaids. Their frocks, which were of similar design, were of orchid and a delicate shade of blue georgette respectively, and were trimmed with silver lace. Both attendants wore black velvet hats with loops of silver ribbon, and carried asters in portel shades.
The bride was given away by her uncle, Mr. B. M. McLeod of Lethbridge, Alta. Mr. Henry Mahon, brother of the bride, was best man, and the ushers were Mr. Clark Noble, Mr. Ralph Salter, Dr. Gordon Cameron and Dr. Joseph Gilchrist.
Following the ceremony, Mrs. Mahon received at the family residence in Brunswick Avenue, wearing a handsome gown of Roshanara crepe with black velvet and felt hat, with corsage of red roses. Mrs. Best, mother of the groom, was handsomely gowned in brown crepe with brown velvet hat and corsage of yellow roses. Mrs. Henry Mahon was in green Roshanara crepe with black feather hat and corsage of pink roses.
When Mr. and Mrs. Best left for a motor trip through Canada and the United States, the bride wore a smart coat frock of pecan charmeen, coral hat and double furred choker of mink. On their return, they will reside in Spadina Road.
From Canada, East and West, and from the U.S.A. came guests for the wedding. Those present included M. B. McLeod, of Lethbridge; Dr. W. P. McLeod, of New York; Mrs. Wm. McLeod and Miss Elsie McLeod, of Cambridge, Mass., Judge M. N. Cockburn and Mrs. Cockburn, of St. Stephen, N. B.; Mrs. Garnet Chapman and Miss Chapman, of Amherst, N. S., and the grooms parents, Dr. and Mrs. H. H. Best, Canadians whose home is at Pembroke, Maine. Com.