In re: GEORGE THOMAS RENDELL. DECEASED
This is the last will and Testament of George Thomas Rendell of St. Johnís Newfoundland
1. I give and bequeath to my son Francis Edward Rendell all my share and interest in the business now carried on by him and me under the style of W & G. Rendell including the capital of said business and all other the assets and the goodwill thereof subject nevertheless to the following charges and conditions viz.
(1) The said F. E. Rendell shall during the lifetime of my wife Mary Wix Rendell pay to Mary Rendell widow of Frederick J. W. Rendell the yearly sum of Two Hundred Dollars.
(2) Upon the death of the said Mary Wix Rendell the said F. E. Rendell shall pay to the said Mary Rendell widow of said F. J. W. Rendell interest at the rate of six per cent pr. annum upon the sum of Five Thousand Dollars of the capital of the said business of W & G. Rendell during her lifetime and upon her death he shall pay (subject as hereinafter provided) to such of the said F. J. W. Rendells children as shall then be living the said sum of Five Thousand Dollars share and share alike out of the capital of said business provided that if a child of the said F. J. W Rendell shall die in the meantime leaving issue such issue shall take the parents share. Provided and I hereby direct that the said sum of Five thousand Dollars shall if the said F. E. Rendell wishes Ė remain in the said business until one year after the death of said Mary Rendell when my executor shall pay to each child who shall then be twenty one years of age his or her share and shall thereafter pay interest at the rate aforesaid on the shares of those who are not twenty one until they attain that age when each shall receive his or her share.
(3) all my share of the profits of the said business for the current year in which my death shall take place. I give and bequeath to my said wife Mary Wix Rendell and the same shall be at the end of the said current year paid to her.
2. Subject as hereinafter provided I give devise and bequeath the lands and premises situate on water Street and now occupied by W & G. Rendell and their sub-tenants to my said wife Mary Wix Rendell to enjoy the rent and profit thereof during her lifetime and after her death to my children as tenants in common - Provided that if the said Francis E. Rendell (or any other of my sons or grandsons who shall carry on the business of W & G Rendell) shall so desire he or they shall be entitled and I hereby direct that he or they shall be granted a lease of the lands and premises now occupied by W & G. Rendell for a term not exceeding thirty years from the date of my death at the same rent as W & G. Rendell now pay and upon the same terms in other respects (save as to the length of terms) as those upon which W & G Rendell now hold
3 I give and bequeath my Dwelling houses and land on Cochrane Street and Military Road together with all the contents of my own Dwelling house to my said wife Mary Wix Rendell for and during her lifetime and upon her death I give and devise the said Dwelling houses and land to my children as tenants in common.
4. I give to my Executor all my other property money and estate in trust to receive the interest arising therefrom, and to pay the same to my said wife Mary Wix Rendell during her lifetime
5 Upon the death of my said wife Mary Wix Rendell I give and bequeath
- (1) To my son George Arthur Rendell the sum of Five Thousand Dollars
- (2) To my daughter Margaret A Shea the sum of Five Thousand Dollars
- (3) To my son Charles M Rendell the sum of Five Thousand Dollars.
- (4) To my daughter Barbara M White the sum of Five Thousand Dollars
- (5) To my daughter in law Mary Rendell widow of F. J. W. Rendell the sum of Two Thousand Dollars
- (6) To my son Francis E Rendell my Executor for his trouble in carrying out my will the sum of Five Hundred Dollars
- (7) To David F. Hoskins the sum of Two Hundred and Fifty Dollars (to be paid within three months after my death)
6 all the residue of my Estate I give devise and bequeath after the death of my said wife Mary Wix Rendell to my children then living share and share alike and the children of any deceased child or children the children of a deceased child taking only their parents share and not per capita
7 I further direct that where more than one legacy is given to any one person or persons hereunder the same shall be paid in addition to that or those previously given to such person or persons.
8 I nominate my son Francis E Rendell Executor of this my will hereby revoking all former wills made by me at any time. Dated at St. Johnís Newfoundland the Twenty sixth day of August one Thousand nine hundred and seven. G. T. Rendell
$2000.00 of Debentures is to be paid after my death as follows.
above $2000 is not included in the list of my property G. T. R. July 1. 1908
D. M. Browning
- $500 To the clergy widow & orphans Fund. The Secretary to use the principal when needed to prevent any reduction in the pensions or should the number of pensioners be reduced to fourteen it may be applied if deemed desirable to increasing each pension $10 interest meanwhile to be paid to annual income.
- $500. To the church of England Asylum for widows & orphans to be used when required for repairs or painting of building - interest meanwhile to be paid to annual income.
- $500. To be applied to the reduction of the debt on St. Thomas Curates house.
- $250 To be paid to St. Thomas branch of Womenís Home Mission Fund.
- $250 To be paid towards erecting a substantial five foot paling fence by the Forest Road side of Church of England Cemetery - if that is not erected within twelve months after my death, the money is then to be applied to the repairs and painting of the east end School house. Interest of all until my death to be paid to the clergy widow & orphans Fund,
(Listed in the margin next to this will the following)