Transcribed by Judy Benson & Ivy Benoit. While I have endeavored to be as correct as humanly possible, there could be
some typographical errors
Newfoundland will books volume 8 pages 386-387 probate year 1908
Will of James Gordon |
In re: JAMES GORDON. DECEASED
This is the last will and testament of me James Gordon of Saint Johnís Newfoundland Merchant I will devise and bequeath to my Executors hereafter named all my Estate to hold the same for the following purposes. I direct my executors to invest a sum of money sufficient to secure to my wife an annuity of Fifteen hundred dollars, on her death the said sum so invested shall be divided equally among my children, children of deceased children taking their parents share.
The rest residue and remainder of my Estate I direct my executors to dispose of in the following manner One fifth to my son Gilbert Thomas one fifth to my son Victor to be paid to them immediately on realization.
- I bequeath to my niece Margaret Workman Saltcoats the sum of Five hundred dollars -
- To my nephew Gilbert Gordon Campbell Five hundred dollars.
- To Mary Campbell Saltcoats Five hundred dollars
- To the Session West United Erskine Free Church Saltcoats for the poor to be distributed at their discretion Five hundred dollars
- To the Church of England orphanage Saint Johnís Five hundred dollars.
- To the Methodist Orphanage St. Johnís Five hundred dollars
- To St. Michaels Orphanage St. Johnís Five hundred dollars
- To the Ladies St. Vincent de Paul Society St. Johnís Five hundred dollars
- To the Dorcas Society St. Johnís Five hundred dollars
- To Presbyterian Church St. Johnís to be applied by Session and Managers as they deem fit one thousand dollars
- To Masonic Benevolent Fund my life insurance on Masonic Mutual
The remaining three fifths are to be invested by my Executors and the earnings arising therefrom paid to my daughters in equal shares should any of my daughters die leaving a child or children surviving her, her share is to go to her child or children equally. Should any of my said daughters die without leaving a child or children surviving then her share is to go to my children equally children of deceased children taking their parents share It is my desire and wish that my son Victor shall make arrangements for and become a Partner in the Firm of Baird Gordon Company. I appoint James Stott Thomas McNeill and my son Victor Executors of this my last will
Saint Johnís Newfoundland June 6th 1907 James Gordon Signed in our presence who in the presence of the said James Gordon and in the presence of each other have signed the same as witnesses Bridget Aylward D. J. Greene
D. M. Browning
(Listed in the margin next to this will the following)
Feb. 26. 08
Feb 27 08
Thos. M McNeil
© Judy Benson, Ivy Benoit and NL GenWeb