In re: JOHN MCCARTHY. DECEASED
In the name of God, Amen. This is the last will and testament of me, John McCarthy, of St. John's, in the Island of Newfoundland, Provision Merchant.
1. It is my will and desire that my executor hereinafter appointed shall first see that all my just debts, funeral and testamentary expenses are paid.
2. I give devise and bequeath to my two sons Martin and Michael, share and share alike, all that land, dwelling house, outhouses and premises situate on Leslie Street, and now occupied by me; together with all the household furniture, goods, chattels and effects contained therein, of every description and kind; also the horses, harness, carts sleighs and all stable fittings at present used by me, and also the cart - horse, carts, harness and implements, and the stable in which they are contained, adjoining my land and premises on Water Street. This bequest is conditioned on the undertaking by them that they will continue to support, clothe and maintain in a suitable and proper manner my daughters Bride and Rose during their lives, or until they are married and are provided with homes of their own
3. I will and bequeath the sum of Two Thousand Dollars, at present to my credit in the Newfoundland Savings Bank, as follows: To my daughter Bride, Five Hundred Dollars; to my daughter Rose, Five Hundred Dollars; To my son Walter, Five Hundred Dollars; the remaining Five Hundred Dollars I will and bequeath to my said sons Martin and Michael, out of which sum they are to pay all outstanding debts that may have been contracted by me, together with my funeral and testamentary expenses.
4. I will, devise and bequeath that piece or parcel of land immediately adjoining to the south my residential land as follows: To my daughter Minnie, wife of Patrick Larsey; to my son John; to my son Patrick; and to my son Walter; share and share alike.
5. I will and bequeath to my son Michael that piece of land situate on Topsail Road, some time purchased by me from the late Campbell McPherson, also two shares in the St. John's Nail Factory, for his sole and separate use.
Lastly I hereby appoint my friend Michael Power, of St. John's, to be the sole executor of this my last will, hereby revoking all other and former wills that may have been made by me. In Testimony whereof I have hereunto subscribed my hand this 31st day of December A.D. 1909 John McCarthy Signed by the said testator as and for his last will and testament, in presence of us, who, in his presence, at his request, and in the presence of each other, have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses. Bride McCarthy F. J. Morris
D. M. Browning
(Listed in the margin next to this will the following)