Transcribed by Judy Benson & Ivy Benoit. While I have endeavored to be as correct as humanly possible, there could be
some typographical errors
Newfoundland will books volume 13 pages 546-547 probate year 1927
Will of William Skeans |
IN RE: WILLIAM SKEANS. DECEASED
In the name of God Amen. This is the last Will and Testament of me, William Skeans of St. John's, Carpenter, being of sound mind memory and understanding and I will and bequeath as follows.
1. That all my lawful debts, and my funeral and testamentary expenses be paid.
2. I appoint
my son John Skeans Thomas Whelan to be the executor of this my will.
3. I give and bequeath to my said son John the sum of One thousand dollars now to my credit in the Bank of Montreal; I give and bequeath to my son William, now in Montreal, the sum of Five hundred dollars; I give and bequeath to my late wife's brother John Hudson now in Vancouver the sum of Six hundred dollars; I give and bequeath to my late wife's sister Mrs Jane Hudson of Boston U.S.A. the sum of Four hundred dollars; I give and bequeath to my late wife's sister. Mrs. Essie Taylor of Cambridge, Mass the sum of Three hundred dollars; I give and bequeath to my Grand daughter Gladys Skeans, now in my service the sum of Three hundred dollars.
4. If the house No. 4 Gilbert St. In which I reside is unsold at my death. I will that it be sold and that the proceeds be distributed in four equal shares between my three grand children John, William and Ernest Skeans and John Hudson aforesaid of Vancouver. If the house is sold before my decease then I give and bequeath to the said John Hudson the sum of Four hundred dollars to provide for the claim which he believes to have in the said house.
5. I bequeath to my executor in trust for the erection of a headstone over my grave the sum of One hundred dollars.
6. All the furniture in my house except that belonging to the room known as the front room, and all clothes and bedding I give to my son John in consideration of his services as executor of this my will.
7. I give to my brother Frank Skeans the large Bible now in my possession.
8. The rest of my furniture, i.e. of the front room aforesaid, I will to be sold and the proceeds to be added to the residue of my estate and the whole amount to be divided in equal shares between my three grand children John, William and Ernest Skeans.
WILLIAM SKEANS Signed by the testator this 2nd day of October 1925 in our presence who in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our hands as witnesses. Wm. J. Linegar. W. J. Browne. Codicil made the 18th day of March 1926 All the rest of my estate which is not bequeathed in my Will above I bequeath to my two sons in equal shares, (and if either or both are dead then to their children), in the proportion of two-thirds to John or his children and one-third to William or his children provided that out of the said rest of my estate the sum of Five hundred dollars is to be given to the person looking after me at the time of the my death. WILLIAM SKEANS. Signed by the testator in our presence who in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses. W. J. Browne. Mary J. Kelly.
Codicil made the 25th day of May 1926
(a) Paragraph 2 of my will is hereby altered and I hereby appoint Thomas Whelan of No. 2. Gilbert St to be the executor of this my will and codicils instead of my son John.
(b) I will and direct that the executor shall pay annually to my son John the sum of two hundred dollars in quarterly instalments of fifty dollars each until his share is distributed, and the said executor will hold John's share in trust for that purpose.
( c) Paragraph 6 is altered by striking out the words following - "in consideration of his services of as executor of this my will". WILLIAM SKEANS. Signed by the Testator in our presence who in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto signed our names as witnesses. Mary J. Kelly. W. J. Browne.
William F. Lloyd
Registrar of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland.
(Listed in the margin next to this will the following)
© Judy Benson, Ivy Benoit and NL GenWeb