In the Supreme Court,
Elsie K. Goodwin.
OATH OF EXECUTOR
Probate granted to The Eastern
on the 13th day of January
Value of Estate $45, 114.97
(Some writing cut off from top on photocopy)
TO THE HONOURABLE THE SUPREME COURT OF NEWFOUNDLAND
OR TO ONE OF THE HONOURABLE JUDGES THEREOF
The Petition of the Eastern Trust Company,
MOST HUMBLY SHOWETH THAT
1. Elsie K. Goodwin, late of Harbour Grace in the Province of
Newfoundland widow, died at that place on or about the 10th day of
December A.D. 1958 first having published and declared her Last Will
and Testament which is hereto annexed marked "A" and duly proved.
2. Your Petitioner is the Executor named in the said Last Will and
Testament of the said deceased.
3. The said Elsie K. Goodwin, deceased, left surviving her as next
of kin the following children, namely, Robert Warren Goodwin, Florence Munn,
Annie Godden, Janet Martin and Whitman LeRoy Goodwin.
4. The said deceased left properties within the jurisdiction of
your Honourable court of the probable value of $45, 114.97 and hereto annexed
marked "B" is a just and true Inventory and Valuation of the same so far
as Your Petitioner can at present ascertain.
5. No Letters of Probate of any will or Letters of Administration to the Estate of the said deceased have been applied for, or granted to, any person.
YOUR PETITIONER THEREFORE HUMBLY PRAYS that Letters of Probate to
the Last Will and Testament of the said late Elsie K Goodwin, deceased,
be granted to it.
AND AS IN DUTY BOUND YOUR PETITIONER WILL. EVER PRAY ETC.
Dated at St. John's this 8th.day of January A.D. 1959.
THE EASTERN TRUST COMPANY
EKG RCK R C Knight…………..Asst. Manager
* Initials SJC to the left of the number 5
ST. JOHN*S TO WIT:
I, Reginald C. Knight, of St. John's aforesaid, assistant
manager, make oath and say as follows:
1. I am the assistant manager at St. John's of the
Eastern Trust Company, the Petitioner in the within Petition
named and have full knowledge of all the matters and things
2. All the said matters and things are just, correct
and true to the best of my knowledge, information and belief.
SWORN at St. John's aforesaid,
this 8th. day of January A. D. 1959
Samuel J Hawkins LS
RCKnight RKC LS
A ??????? LS
This is the paper writing marked "A" refer purporting to be the WEM
Last Will and Testament of Elsie K. Goodwin, referred to in the JP CS?
annexed affidavit in ????? thereof.
THIS IS THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT of me, ELSIE K. GOODWIN,
Widow of Dr. W. S. Goodwin, of Harbour Grace, Newfoundland
1. I hereby revoke all former Wills and Testamentary dispo-sitions by me at any time heretofore made.
2. I hereby appoint Eastern Trust Co. to be the executor and trustee of and under this my Will.
3. I direct that all my just debts, funeral and testamentary expenses and Succession Duties in respect of any bequest under this my Mill be paid as a first charge against my Estate.
4. I bequeath all my personal effects including jewellery unto my three daughters, Florence Munn, Annie Godden and Janet Martin.
5. All the rest, residue and remainder of my estate I bequeath
unto my children in the following proportions:-
(a) To my son Robert Warren Goodwin two-twelfths.
(b) To my daughter Florence Munn three-twelfths.
(c) To my daughter Annie Godden three twelfths.
(d) to my daughter Janet Martin two-twelfths.
(e) to my son Whitman LeRoy Goodwin two-twelfths.
DATED at Harbour Grace this thirteenth day of May
A. D. 1955.
SIGNED by the Testatrix in the )
presence of us, who in her pres- )
ence and in the presence of each )
other have hereunto subscribed )
our names as witnesses. )
Elsie K Goodwin LS
Charles Cron LS
Elsie was born August 1877 in Annapolis, Nova Scotia, the daughter of James S Warren and Annie Alcock of Harbour Grace. James had gone to Annapolis to learn the carriage trade.
Elsie's husband Dr. Whitman Smith Goodwin was born in July 1868 and his family came from Bay Verte in New Brunswick. He was trained as a dental surgeon and arrived in Harbour Grace in 1900. He founded the Newfoundland Dental Association and the United Towns Utilities which was bought out by Nfld. Light and Power in the 1970's. Whitman died in Harbour Grace March 1954. Daughter Florence Alberta Margaret Goodwin was married to Frederick Lamont Munn, son of Robert Stewart Munn and Elizabeth Evill Trapnell.
Daughter Elsie Janet Louise Goodwin married her second cousin Edwin Arthur Martin, son of Ron Martin and Gertrude Warren. Edwin's mother Gertrude Warren and Janet's mother Elsie Warren were first cousins.
Daughter Annie Francis Newman Goodwin married Arthur Golder Godden.
Son Whitman Goodwin also practiced as a dental surgeon in Harbour Grace for many years. He married E P Fraser and after her death married her sister E G A Fraser. These girls were the daughters of Donald Gordon Fraser and Mary Dawe of Bay Roberts.
Son Robert Warren married Myrtle Matilda Pike.
Charles Cron was a medical doctor in the Harbour Grace area. He was related to the Martin family with the marriage of his widower father James Maxwell Cron to Emma Martin. James was first married to Frances Ross. Emma Martin was a daughter of Matthew Martin and Jane Maria Mercer. Matthew's brother was Frederick Martin, grandfather to Edwin.