| January 1, 1916 || President W. D. Reid of the Reid-Nfld. Company Knighted.
S.S. Adventure, Capt. Wilson, reaches Alexandrovsk.
Patriotic Pierrettes at the College Hall.
| January 2, 1916 || S.S. Coban refloated at Placentia, towed into St. John’s. |
| January 3, 1916 || Installation Atlantic Lodge I.O.O.F.
Annual meeting Conception Bay British Society at Harbor Grace.
Installation Bonavista Lodge, No. 9, S.U.F.
| January 4, 1916 || Newfoundland Clothing Company reunion.
St. John’s Lodge, S.U.F., Installation.
| January 5, 1916 || N.J. Vinnicomb filed petition to declare Prohibition Plebiscite Election void. |
| January 6, 1916 || M.C.L.I. Session re opens.
S.S. Bellaventure, Capt. Cross, reaches Alexandrovsk.
| January 7, 1916 || Crew of the Rostand from Oporto to Fortune, Capt. Lake, rescued in mid ocean by the S.S. Blemfontein, after drifting 11 days. The vessel burned before abandonment. |
| January 8, 1916 || Hockey League Annual Meeting.
Fire at Carbonear, near Rorke & Sons. Total loss about $25,000.
| January 9, 1916 || Annual meeting C.M.B.C.
Silver Jubilee of J.L. Slattery’s connection with R.C. Cathedral Choir.
Annual meeting Star of the Sea, Holyrood.
| January 10, 1916 || Coal Committee appointed.
Annual meeting Carbonear V.F. Bridage.
Commercial Traveler’s Association of Newfoundland formed.
Annual meeting of St. Andrew’s Church.
| January 12, 1916 || Annual meeting of St. Andrew’s Society. |
| January 16, 1916 || S.S. Retlaw, Capt. George Hiscock, in port for repairs.
Annual meeting of the Lord’s Day Alliance.
| January 17, 1916 || Methodist parsonage, Trinity, destroyed by fire.
Annual meeting of Nfld Clothing Company.
Annual meeting of Golf Club.
| January 18, 1916 || Annual meeting of Masonic Life Insurance Association. |
| January 19, 1916 || Fire at A. Thompson’s Store, Duckworth Street. Arrested for arson, subsequently convicted.
Girl’s Guide Concert Congregational Church.
Annual Meeting of Bricklayers’ Union.
| January 20, 1916 || Fire at Ayre’s Bakery.
Supreme Court sustains Judge Johnson’s decision in Prohibition Count.
Annual Meeting of L.C.A.S.
| January 24, 1916 || Thanksgiving Day.
Curler’s raise $1,025 for Patriotic purposes.
St. John’s Lodge, S.U.F. Sociable.
St. Margaret’s Guild Sociable.
| January 25, 1916 || Prohibition re count commences.
St. Andrew’s Club “At Home”.
Annual meeting Board of Trade. R.B. Job elected President.
| January 26, 1916 || Annual meeting St. Bon’s L.A.
Annual meeting Harbor Grace Literary Institute.
Danish steamer Ontaneida arrives short of coal. Is refused supply and compelled to remain in port for several weeks.
S.S. Bellaventure, Capt. Cross, arrives at Archangel.
| January 27, 1916 || Annual meeting of the Bible Society.
Daily News announces offer of Sir Edgar Bowring of a Convalescent Home for Wounded.
City Club Annual Meeting. W.R. Warren, K.C. President.
| January 28, 1916 || Danish steamer Lexa Macrsk, enters port in damaged condition. |
| January 30, 1916 || Basha’s Hotel Grand Falls, destroyed by fire. |
| January 31, 1916 || British Society Installation.
Annual Meeting Newfoundland Manufacturers’ Association Assurance Aassociation.
| February 2, 1916 || Fire at Grand Falls, whole plant threatened. Loss about $100,000.
Silver Shell and Takala Maru in collision off Cape Race. Latter sunk.
Boy Scouts concert in Canon Wood Hall.
| February 3, 1916 || Cantala, “Britannia and her Daughters,” at College Hall. |
| February 4, 1916 || Silver Wedding of Dr. And Mrs. Duncan. |
| February 5, 1916 || Schooner Mabel D. Hines, Gibraltar to St. John’s, abandoned at sea. Crew taken off by Dutch Steamer Alphard and brought to New York, arriving there Feb. 18th. |
| February 7, 1916 || Annual Meeting Pharmaceutical Society. |
| February 8, 1916 || C.W.A. Sociable at Synod Hall. |
| February 9, 1916 || Sale of work of C.of E. Ladies at Quidi Vidi. |
| February 10, 1916 || Silver Shell with crew of Takala Maru, arrived safely at Plymouth.
S.S. Mshogu drags anchors and goes ashore at King’s Head. Released and
damaged the following day.
| February 11, 1916 || Annual Meeting Fireman Union.
S.S. Alconda arrives with 7000 tons of coal, consigned to Government.
| February 13, 1916 || Intensely cold weather for about 4 days. |
| February 14, 1916 || Silver wedding of Mr. and Mrs. Tasker Cook. |
| February 15, 1916 || Horse Races at Quidi Vidi. |
| February 17, 1916 || Board of Trade discusses tonnage Problems.
Annual meeting of B.I.S.
Ottawa announces crew of Golden Belle of English Harbor, Fortune Bay, picked up at sea by S.S. Stratarrly, and on the way to France.
Catalina forms Branch of Overseas Club.
First metal smelted in Newfoundland by Mr. W.A. Mackay.
| February 18, 1916 || Capt. Hearn informs Baine Johnstone & Co. that schooner Idaha has been abandoned off Western Island and crew brought to Galveston by the S.S. Cuthonet.
Funeral of M.W. Furlong, K.C.
| February 20, 1916 || Redemptorist Mission opens at Harbor Grace. |
| February 22, 1916 || The black listed Otaneda sails for Norfolk, Va., after several weeks detention, through refusal of coal supplies.
Presentation to Rev. A. Clayton by St. Thomas’ Parish.
| February 23, 1916 || Annual meeting U.T. Electrical Co. at Harbor Grace.
Annual entertainment C.M.B.C.
| February 24, 1916 || Red Cross Carnival at Prince’s Rink.
Adjourned Annual meeting Marline Disasters Committee. Former Mayor Ellis
| February 26, 1916 || Annual Meeting S.P.A.
Cochrane Street Centennial Church completed and keys handed over to the
| February 28, 1916 || Bank of Nova Scotia new building opened for business.
Annual Meeting Masonic District Grand Lodge, E.C.
| February 29, 1916 || Annual Meeting Church of England Orphanage Committee.
C.C.C. “At Home.”
Annual Meeting Church Institute.
Annual meeting Harbor Grace Dock Co.
| March 1, 1916 || Concert Congregational Church.
Mount Cashel Annual entertainment.
| March 2, 1916 || Justice Johnson gives costs against petitioner in Prohibition Re Count. |
| March 3, 1916 || 89th annual Meeting Mechanics Society. |
| March 4, 1916 || Children’s Carnival at Prince’s rink. |
| March 6, 1916 || Terra Nova’s win Hockey Championship. |
| March 8, 1916 || Tonnage Conference in Board of Trade rooms.
Schooner Alma Harris of Grand Bank in collision with schooner Stanley and Frank, near Rose Blanche. Crew saved.
Annual Meeting Masonic Club.
| March 9, 1916 || Capt. Bob Bartlett’s house at Brigus, destroyed by fire.
Parade Rink Carnival.
Gulf Sealing fleet sails.
| March 13, 1916 || S.S. Florizel the only steamer to sail from St. John’s, leaves for icefields. |
| March 14, 1916 || Sock Sociable.
Annual meeting Alexandra Workers.
| March 15, 1916 || Publication of the Saunders and Sweetman letters commenced in Daily News
Passionist Fathers arrive.
Bellaventure’s Captain and Crew return from Russia.
Boy Scouts concert.
Hon. P.T. McGrath appointed President of the Council.
| March 16, 1916 || Legislature opens. |
| March 17, 1916 || Banker George Rose of Grand Bank wrecked at Rose Blanche.
Tasker lodge A.F. & A.M. installation.
St. Andrews “At Home.”
St. Bon’s L.A. Entertainment.
Convalescent Home Entertainment.
| March 19, 1916 || Cochrane Street Centennial Church opens for service.
Annual Meeting Holy Name Society.
St. Andrew’s new organ dedicated.
Passionist Father Mission commences in the Cathedral.
| March 20, 1916 || Seal skinners’s annual meeting. |
| March 21, 1916 || Hon. Mr. Justice Kent Meeting. |
| March 23, 1916 || Children’s Ballet Entertainment at the Casino. |
| March 24, 1916 || Mr. Justice Kent takes his seat on the Supreme Court Bench.
Hon. R.A. Squires, K.C., re-elected Grand Master L.O. A., at Bay Roberts.
| March 25, 1916 || Dr. Lloyd assumes leadership of the Opposition in the House, and of the Liberal Union Party.
L.O.A. Convention at Bay Roberts closes.
Annual Meeting of Baseball Club.
Raggs Island Light House at Fogo, destroyed by fire.
| March 27, 1916 || Annual Meeting of St. John Ambulance Association in the Grenfell Hall. |
| March 28, 1916 || Lady Davidson leaves for England. |
| March 29, 1916 || S.S. Fogota takes crippled steamer Farley in tow, 230 miles off Halifax. |
| March 30, 1916 || S.S. Sable I., Capt. Jacob Kean, arrives with 23,816 seals.
S.S. Bloodhound, Capt. George Whiteley, arrives with 18,593 seals.
S.S. Neptune, Capt. George Barbour, arrives with 34,929 seals.
Curling Trophy night.
| April 1, 1916 || F.J. Hunter appointed a Director of the Reid Nfld. Company. |
| April 2, 1916 || S.S. Florizel, Capt. A Kean, arrives with 46,481 Seals. |
| April 4, 1916 || Premier Sir Edward Morris addresses The St. Margaret’s Guild. |
| April 5, 1916 || S.S. Erick arrives with 18,377 seals. |
| April 6, 1916 || Citizens Meeting to discuss proposed City Charter. Citizens committee formed. |
| April 7, 1916 || A.B. Morine's valedictory in the Assembly |
| April 10, 1916 || Annual Meeting S.U.F. |
| April 11, 1916 || S.S. Samuel Blandford arrives with 20,503 seals. |
| April 12, 1916 || Citizens Committee hold first meeting. |
| April 13, 1916 || M.C.L. I. Annual Dinner Memorial Table unveiled
C.L.B. 13th Annual Indoor Sports.
A.H. Allens Sacred Concert.
| April 17, 1916 || Shannon Chapter, A.F. &. A.M. Installation. |
| April 18, 1916 || Minister Cashin Eigth Budget Speech. |
| April 19, 1916 || Fire at Royal Stores Clothing Factory. Loss $70,000.
Nellie Louise, Capt Burk, ashore at Barbados.
Sealing Captains present gold watch to James Murphy.
| April 24, 1916 || Passionsit Father Mission at Argentia.
Annual Meeting Importers Association.
Annual Meeting St. Thomas’ Parish.
| April 26, 1916 || Annual Sociable L.O.B.A.
Hon. P.T. McGrath receives LLD from St. Francis Xavier University.
| April 27, 1916 || Annual Meeting Red Lion Baseball Club. |
| May 1, 1916 || Annual Meeting St. Mary’s Parish.
Landslide on South Side, due to rainstorms.
| May 2, 1916 || S.S. Viking arrives with 9,427 seals.
S.S. Diana arrives with 6,178 seals
S.S. Ranger arrives with 2,745 seals. Total of Voyage 241,302 seals.
| May 3, 1916 || Sporh’s Last Judgement at St. Andrew’s.
Annual Meeting Cathedral Parish.
Annual Outerbridge Sheild presentation.
| May 4, 1916 || Legislature prorogued by His Excellency. |
| May 5, 1916 || S.S. Bonaventure’s Captain, Officers and Crew, return from Russia.
Annual Meeting Wanders Baseball Club.
| May 7, 1916 || Hon. C.H. Emerson appointed Acting Chief Clerk and Registrar at Supreme Court.
Annual Meeting B.I.S.A.A.
C.M.B.C. Harbor Mission resumes work.
| May 10, 1916 || Star of the Sea Billiard Club Annual Dinner.
Empire Day Red Cross Fund launched.
| May 14, 1916 || First C.L.B. Parade for the season. |
| May 16, 1916 || Prohibition Proclamation from January 1 1917, issued in Royal Gazette.
Third Annual Reunion Baseball League.
Schooner Reciprocity, Capt. P. Blackwood, sinks in the Narrows after striking
| May 17, 1916 || Operetta Agatha at the Casino. |
| May 20, 1916 || S.S. Cranley arrives at Heart’s Content to take the first load of Grand Falls paper from that port to England. |
| May 22, 1916 || B.I.S. Annual billiard dinner. |
| May 23, 1916 || Red Cross Tag Day in St. John’s. |
| May 24, 1916 || Empire Day and Red Cross Day.
Boy Scouts Sports.
Macpherson Stock Show on Parade Grounds.
Red Cross Tag Day at the Casino.
Milestone at the Casino.
| May 30, 1916 || First annual Meeting, Newfoundland Branch, W.M.S. at Cochrane Street Centennial Church. |
| May 31, 1916 || I.O.O.F. Celebration in honour of P.G.M. Craig. |
| June 1, 1916 || S.S. Lyngford ashore at St. Vincent’s.
Silver Wedding Rev. Frank and Mrs. Smart at Heart’s Content.
| June 3, 1916 || C.M.G. Conferred on H.W. LeMessurier, Deputy Minister of Customs.
Levee at Government House.
| June 5, 1916 || Annual Meeting Football League. |
| June 6, 1916 || Rex vs. Hickman Verdict of Acquittal. |
| June 7, 1916 || Private Kennedy and Lance Ewing, rescued by Volunteers after wandering 5 days and 4 nights in the woods at Mahar’s, Brigus Junction, without food.
Golden Wedding Mr. And Mrs. Peter Dillon, Prospect Street.
| June 8, 1916 || Annual Meeting Cowan Mission. |
| June 11, 1916 || Cemetery Collections in R.C. Churches. |
| June 12, 1916 || Harry A Winter, B.A., assumes Editorship of Evening Telegram. |
| June 13, 1916 || Pass List Trinity College of Music issued. |
| June 14, 1916 || Baseball Season opened by Mayor Gosling.
Comrades’ Glee Club Concert, part proceeds for Our Blinded Defenders.
| June 15, 1916 || St. Andrews Presbyterian Church Votes of Church Union. |
| June 18, 1916 || Cochrane Street Centennial Church dedicated.
Rev. Geo. Robbins ordained at Harbor Grace.
| June 19, 1916 || Municipal Election, Nomination Day.
Soldiers and Sailors Club Grenfell Institute, opened by Sir William Horwood.
S.S. Arachine ashore at Point Platte, Little Miquelin.
| June 20, 1916 || Premier Morris arrives in London |
| June 23, 1916 || N. Vinnicombe's Prohibition Plebiscite Petition dismissed.
Rev. T.H. James awarded D.D. by Taylor University.
| June 24, 1916 || Jubilee of Rev. Canon Noel’s Ordination.
Colonel Jacobs, S.A., arrives.
| June 25, 1916 || Natal Day Service in Church of England Cathedral. Preacher, Rev. Canon White. |
| June 26, 1916 || C.H.E. Examinations commenced. |
| June 27, 1916 || Avalon Lodge A.F. & A.M. Installation. |
| June 28, 1916 || Methodist Conference opens at Grand Bank. Rev. Edwin Moore elected President. |
| June 29, 1916 || Rev Father Dontney appointed Dean of the Arch-Diocese.
W.C.T.U. Annual Picnic.
| July 1, 1916 || William Gilbert Gosling elected Mayor of St. John’s. Majority 464. |
| July 2, 1916 || Sir Edger Bowring returns.
Bell Island’s “Welcome Home” to Rev. Fr. McGrath.
| July 3, 1916 || Topsail presents address to Sir Edgar Bowring. |
| July 4, 1916 || Diocesan Synod opens.
Lady Davidson addresses W.P.A. at British Hall.
| July 5, 1916 || Municipal Council Election results announced. Isaac Morris, Deputy Mayor, Dr. Tait, G. Brownrigg, J.J. Mullally, C.P Ayre and N. Vinnicombe.
Reception by His Grace Archbishop Roche at the Palace.
St. Bon’s Annual sports.
| July 8, 1916 || Silver Jubilee of Mr. And Mrs. Ward at Harbor Grace. |
| July 9, 1916 || Silver Jubilee of Rev. A.A. and Mrs. Holmes at Harbor Grace.
Annual Meeting St. Bon’s Old Boys’ Association.
| July 10, 1916 || First meeting of New Municipal Council. |
| July 13, 1916 || N.S.S. & G. Directors here on annual visit.
22nd Biennial Synod Closes.
| July 14, 1916 || St. Bon’s Old Boys’ Annual reunion. |
| July 17, 1916 || School for the Blind Concert, first of three. |
| July 18, 1916 || Cochrane Street presentation to Rev. C.A. Whitemarsh, M.A. |
| July 21, 1916 || Dr. Thompson of Lynn, Mass., astray on West Coast.
Patrotic Association meets.
| July 22, 1916 || S.S. Matatua ashore at Holyrood, St. Mary’s Bay. |
| July 26, 1916 || Mount Cashel Garden Party. |
| July 27, 1916 || Funeral of E.M. Jackman. |
| July 31, 1916 || Colony wins Commercial Cable Company Appeal case. |
| August 2, 1916 || C.L.B. Camp at chamberlains. |
| August 3, 1916 || S.S. Samuel Blandford from New York, strikes on The Keys, near St. Mary’s. Total wreck. |
| August 4, 1916 || Intercession Day
Mass meeting of citizens at Court House. War Resolutions passed. Governor
| August 7, 1916 || Rossley Pantomime Company returns from prolonged tour. |
| August 9, 1916 || C of E Orphanage Garden Party at Government House. |
| August 10, 1916 || H.W. LeMessurier, C.M.G., invested at Government House with Insignia of the Order. |
| August 13, 1916 || S.O.E. Decoration Day.
Alexander Garland’s premises at Lower Island Cove, destroyed by fire.
| August 14, 1916 || Board of Trade establishes an Employment Bureau for returned Soldiers and Sailors. |
| August 19, 1916 || Bishop of Newfoundland at Bell Island. |
| August 20, 1916 || Archbishop Roche at Marystown. |
| August 23, 1916 || Kilbride Garden Party. |
| August 24, 1916 || S.S. Hump rammed and sunk by A.A. Argyle, in fog, off St. Lawrence. Crew saved.
Council decided to extend South Side water service.
J A Cliff, K.C., Parliamentary Delegate, returns from visit to the Front.
| August 25, 1916 || Copper strike by W.A. Mackay at Sleepy Hollow, Little Bay, reported.
Memorial School, Curling, destroyed by fire.
| August 26, 1916 || Arrival of Commissioner Richards, S.A.
Governor and Lady Davidson at Bonne Bay.
| August 27, 1916 || S.A. Congress meeting at Methodist College Hall. |
| August 30, 1916 || Gas Company notifies a further 10 per cent increase in cost of gas.
Garden Party at Silvertone under auspices of Daughters of Empire.
| September 1, 1916 || Governor and lady Davidson at Cartwright, Labrador. |
| September 3, 1916 || Rev. Bro Kennedy leaves for New Rochelle, N.Y. Presentation and address from old pupils. |
| September 4, 1916 || C.H.E. Pass Lists published. |
| September 7, 1916 || Paivy Council decision in Commercial Cable Company vs. the Government of Newfoundland published.
Crew of schooner Maggie U., Capt. Kennedy which foundered 25 miles N. E. of Sydney, rescued by schooner Ataba,
and brought into Little Bay Islands.
| September 8, 1916 || Baseball series at Grand Falls commences. |
| September 10, 1916 || Street car dashes into Soper and Moore’s Grocery, in violation of the Sunday Observance Act. |
| September 13, 1916 || Last whole holiday for the season.
Hon. R.K. Bishop Parliamentary Delegate, returns from visit to the Front.
| September 14, 1916 || Annual meeting Cooper’s Union. |
| September 17, 1916 || Stained glass window in memory of Sir Robert Reid and Hon. James Baird, unveiled in St. Andrew’s Church. |
| September 18, 1916 || Fire at Premier’s residence, Rennies Mill Road.
Skeleton of a man found. 17 miles inland from George Pond, St. George’s.
| September 21, 1916 || Fire in Freshwater Road. Damage not great.
Second annual meeting of the International Grenfell Association.
| September 22, 1916 || S.S. Thetis, recently bought by Job Bros & Co., Ltd., returned to St. John’s after 33 years absence. |
| September 23, 1916 || Grand Fall Agricultural Show. |
| September 24, 1916 || Record wind and rain storm. Electric Light and Power Plant closed downed from 2 a.m. to 8 a.m. Wind velocity exceeded 60 miles per hour.
Schooner Bonnie Lass, lost off Trepassey Bay with all hands.
Dr. McDonald appointed Medical Officer of T.A. Society.
| September 25, 1916 || Electrician Perrine disappears from Bay Roberts. |
| September 26, 1916 || Municipal Plebiscite on Ward System, 15 per cent, vote. Proposal negatived.
Meeting of Patriotic Association.
| September 28, 1916 || St. Joseph’s fruit and vegetable sale. |
| October 1, 1916 || Premier and Lady Morris reach Port aux Basques.
Corner stone of Argentia Church laid by Archbishop Roche.
| October 5, 1916 || Premier and Lady Morris return.
Annual meeting Llewellyn Club.
| October 9, 1916 || Rev. J. S. Sutherland bids farewell at the Presbyterian Hall.
Actelyne explosion at J.B. Martin’s, Bell Island.
| October 10, 1916 || Rev. J.S. Sutherland and family leave for Fredericton, New Brunswick.
Highlanders Shooting presentation at Smithville.
Patriotic Association addressed by Hon. Dr. McGrath on Pensions for Soldiers and Sailors.
Father Mattew Celebration at T.A. Hall.
| October 11, 1916 || Golden Jubilee of Rev. John Reay’s arrival in Newfoundland.
H.C. Thomson lectures on “Shortage of fish in the United Kingdom.”
| October 12, 1916 || St. John’s Harbor closed from Sunset to Sunrise.
Columbus Day Knights of Columbus celebration.
| October 16, 1916 || First sod turned in foundation of St. Joseph’s Church by Archbishop Roche. |
| October 17, 1916 || Fire at Ayre & Sons, Ltd., damage about $10,000.
Codner High School opened by Bishop Jones.
| October 18, 1916 || Premier Morris lectures in the Casino on Newfoundland's part in the War.
Annual convention of W.M.S. opens in George St.
St. Margaret’s Guild Sale of Work.
| October 22, 1916 || Ordination at the C of E Cathedral. Four Deacons ordained to the Priesthood. |
| October 23, 1916 || St. Andrew’s Church extends invitation to Rev. Gordon Dickie, M.A.
Hon. C.H. Emerson becomes Chief Clerk and Registrar of Supreme Court.
Annual meeting St. Margaret’s Guild.
| October 25, 1916 || Hon. J Alex Robinson resigns Editorship of Daily News and Free Press. John S Currie, M.H.A., Succeeds him. |
| October 26, 1916 || White Elephant Sale at British Hall.
Licensing Board renews licences for year.
| October 28, 1916 || S.S. Sagona leaves on last Labrador trip.
Dominion Club, Bell Island, destroyed by fire.
| October 29, 1916 || Annual meeting Star of the Sea Society. |
| October 31, 1916 || Presentation of Plate to Hon. J. Alex Robinson by Daily News Staff.
Halloween Sociable at St. Andrew’s.
Governor and Lady Davidson leave on visit to Bonavista Bay.
W.M.S. Convention at Lower Island Cove.
| November 1, 1916 || New Bell at All Saints, Torbay, blessed by Archbishop Roche.
Governor and Lady Davidson at Catalina.
Hon. J Alex Robinson becomes Postmaster General.
| November 2, 1916 || Premier Lectures at Llewellyn Club.
Governor and Lady Davidson at Trinity.
| November 4, 1916 || Premier denies that any sale or merger of Bell Island properties is under consideration by the Companies. |
| November 7, 1916 || City Recruiting Campaign opens.
Patricotic Association meets.
| November 8, 1916 || S.S. Rappahannock torpedoed by U boat. Crew drowned. |
| November 9, 1916 || Disastrous storm does damage at Pouch Cove. |
| November 11, 1916 || American Tea in Presbyterian Hall. |
| November 13, 1916 || S.S. Nascopie returns from Hudson Bay. |
| November 14, 1916 || Carpenter’s Union Annual meeting.
Volunteers Sports at C.L.B. Armoury.
| November 15, 1916 || Address by lady Morris at Annual meeting of the W.P.A.
Employers Protective Association voluntarily gives 15% increase in wages.
| November 17, 1916 || Fish and Bruise Fund launched
St. Bon’s Annual Prize giving.
Funeral at Harbor Grace of Miss Margaret Allan, who died at Montreal.
| November 19, 1916 || 25th Anniversary of founding of C.L.B.
Archbishop Roche lays Corner Stone of St. Joseph Church.
| November 20, 1916 || Lady Davidson addresses Gower Street Epworth League. |
| November 21, 1916 || Hon. J.J. Murphy, Parliamentary Delegate to India, leaves. |
| November 22, 1916 || Annual sale of work at Congregational Church. |
| November 25, 1916 || Fire at L.J Channing’s, New Gower Street. |
| November 26, 1916 || Rev. Dr. Dickie at the Kirk. |
| November 28, 1916 || St. Joseph’s sale of work. |
| November 29, 1916 || Poultry Exhibition opened by Governor Davidson.
Mr. Allen’s Concert.
Wesley Sale of Work.
Schooner Rupert J. Vardy, whilst crossing Trinity Bay, takes fire and sinks.
| November 30, 1916 || Installation St. Andrew’s Lodge A.F. and A.M. |
Schooner, Roma, St. John’s, Nfld., torpedoed in Mediterranean.
| December 1, 1916 || Induction of Rev. Gordon Dickie, M.A., as Minister of St. Andrew’s.
Mr. J.C. Puddester becomes Business Manager of the Daily News.
| December 3, 1916 || Christian Brothers collection again eclipses its records. |
| December 4, 1916 || Reception in Presbyterian Hall to Rev. Gordon and Mrs Dickie.
Annual meeting Curling Club.
Kelligrew’s bids a warm home welcome to Canon Colley.
| December 5, 1916 || Fire at Springdale Street School.
Annual meeting of Lodge 5, S.U.F.
| December 6, 1916 || Major Green of Canada, discusses fresh fish industry before Board of Trade.
Annual meeting Royal Oak Lodge, L.O.A.
| December 7, 1916 || Annual meeting Leeming Lodge L.O.A. |
| December 10, 1916 || Annual meeting T.A. & B. Society. |
| December 11, 1916 || Capt. Christopher Riley, M.C., A.D.C., and Private Secretary to the Governor, arrives. |
| December 12, 1916 || Annual meeting Lodge Dudley, S.O.E.
Rescued crew of the Earl Kitchener, arrives here.
“The Liars” at the Casino.
Ronald Kennedy, Principal of Harbor Grace Academy, gazetted Superintendent of R.C.
Schools in that diocese.
| December 15, 1916 || Schooner Ford River lost. Crew landed on the Azores. |
| December 17, 1916 || T.A. &. B. Society, Guardian Juvenile Branch, appointed. |
| December 18, 1916 || Annual Speech Day, Bishop Feild College. |
| December 19, 1916 || Khake Guild Sale at Presbyterian Hall. |
| December 20, 1916 || Presentation to Nursing Sister Bowden, by Nurse.s Association.
Closing exercises at Bishop Spencer College.
Methodist College prize giving.
| December 21, 1916 || William Cochrane, Janitor of the Supreme Court, completes 50 years of service. Presented with a purse of gold by the legal fraternity.
Prize Day at the Mercy Convent.
| December 23, 1916 || Salvation Army Christmas Picnic. |
| December 28, 1916 || Annual meeting Grenfell Association. |
| December 31, 1916 || S.S. Yarrowdale taken into German port as prize, with crew of several sunken ships – including that of the Duchess of Cornwall, of Burgeo. |