NLGenWeb Newspaper Transcriptions

Daily News

Misc. News Tidbits - 1904

Reprinted courtesy of Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing" Any monetary or commercial gain from using this material is strictly
prohibited and subject to legal action.

The records were transcribed by CHRIS SHELLEY.  Formatted by GEORGE WHITE
While we have endeavored to be as correct as humanly possible, there could be some typographical errors.

June 10, 1904 Death HARVEY - The funeral of the late Rev. Dr. HARVEY takes place this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, from 171 Gower Street.
June 10, 1904 Death RIDEOUT - Last night, after a short illness, Jacob RIDEOUT, leaving a wife, two sons and one daughter to mourn their loss. Funeral on Monday, at 2:30 p.m., from his late residence, 223 Theatre Hill; friends and acquaintances please accept this the only intimation.
June 10, 1904 Death WITHYCOMBE - The funeral of the late Charles W. WITHYCOMBE will take place from the residence of his sister, Mrs. PATRICK, 174 LeMarchant Road on to-morrow (Sunday) at 3 p.m.; friends will please accept this the only intimation.
June 10, 1904 Death TOBIN - Yesterday morning, after a short illness, Maggie, beloved wife of Laurence TOBIN, aged 26 years, leaving a husband and two children, a mother and one brother. Funeral on Sunday at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence 13 Holloway St.; friends will please accept this the only intimation.
June 10, 1904 Death We regretfully chronicle the death of Mr. Jacob RIDEOUT, who died at 9 o'clock last evening, at his residence, Theatre Hill. The deceased was well known in St. John's and his death will be mourned by a large circle of friends. To the sorrowing relatives, the "News" extends sympathy.
June 21, 1904 Marriage WELLS - THOMEY - At Little Bay, by Rev. A. PITTMAN, at the residence of J. B. BLANDFORD, Esq., J. P., Mr. Doyle WELLS to Miss Mary THOMEY (school teacher), lately of Hr. Grace.
June 21, 1904 Death REID - Yesterday morning, after a long illness, Johanna Corbett, beloved wife of James REID. Funeral on to-morrow, Wednesday, at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, 106 Theatre Hill.
June 21, 1904 Death BUTLER - Yesterday morning, Solomon BUTLER, aged 79 years; the deceased was 40 years an employee of H. M. Customs. Funeral on Wednesday, at 2 p.m., from his late residence 104 Barnes Road; relatives and friends will please accept this the only intimation.
June 21, 1904 Missing Man Spotted? "A woman named CHAFE, of Petty Hr., reported to the Police yesterday morning, that a man, answering to the description of the missing man PENDER, had been seen there on Sunday afternoon. The statement made by Mrs. CHAFE was that a man, unknown to any of the residents, came into Petty Harbor on Sunday afternoon, and visited one of the houses. He asked for food at the house where he called, and was given some bread. This he ate on the roadside, and afterwards left the Harbor. Yesterday afternoon, the matter was reported to Mr. W. DUGGAN, of the Star Association, and also to the Inspector General. The latter, however, took no action in the matter, and up to last night, no Policemen were sent to investigate. If the report be true, however, a full investigation should be held."
June 21, 1904 Marriage St. Stephen's Church, Greenspond, was the scene of a pretty wedding on the 14th inst., when Miss Daisy A. DAWE, third daughter of Mr. Samuel DAWE, was united in matrimony, to Mr. Samuel BLANDFORD, son of Darius BLANDFORD, M. H. A., the Rev. S. A. DAWSON officiating. The church was filled with friends of the contracting parties. The bride was handsomely attired in cream silk and wore a bridal veil. She was attended by Misses Francis BLANDFORD, Clara EDGAR and Katie RUXTON, while Mr. Sydney BLANDFORD, B. L., supported the groom. After the ceremony, a supper was served at the residence of Capt. BLANDFORD, after which dancing was kept up until the early hours. Mr. BLANDFORD is one of the prosperous young businessmen of Greenspond. They received a large number of valuable presents.

November 30, 1904 Marriage SCOTT - TIZZARD - At the Gower St. Parsonage, Nov. 29th, by the Rev. J. L. DAWSON, Mr. James Banks SCOTT to Miss Emily Sarah TIZZARD, both of St. John's.
November 30, 1904 Marriage KING - BRYANT - At 75 Flower Hill, Nov. 29th, by Rev. J. L. DAWSON, Mr. Thos. KING, of Catalina, to Miss Martha BRYANT, of St. John's.
November 30, 1904 Death CHIDLEY - At South Boston, Nov. 16, Elizabeth, beloved wife of the late John CHIDLEY, of St. John's, Nfld. She leaves 4 daughters, 1 sister, 60 grandchildren, and 31 great-grandchildren to mourn their sad loss. The funeral took place from the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Margaret HINGHEY, 26 D Street; she was buried at St. Vincent Churchyard.

December 13, 1904 Death BLACKLER - Yesterday, William BLACKLER, aged 87 years, a native of Ipplepen, Devon, England; funeral at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, from his late residence, Southside.
December 13, 1904 Death KING - Last night, Dec. 12th, Hubert, darling child of Alex. and Mary KING, aged 5 months.
December 13, 1904 Death POWER - At Renews, on the 8th inst., Mrs. Alice POWER, aged 93 years; leaving a large circle of relatives and friends to mourn their loss.
December 13, 1904 Mr. Dempster's Operation We are pleased to announce that Hon. George KNOWLING received a cable yesterday afternoon from Glasgow, to the effect that Mr. J. E. DEMPSTER, who went there for treatment, being a sufferer from Siatica, had been operated on by Dr. RENTON, and that the operation was quite successful. It is thought Mr. DEMPSTER will not have to remain long, and may be expected back during next month. The Dr. referred to, is the celebrated Glasgow specialist, Dr. Crawford RENTON, who was assisted in the operation by Drs. CAMPBELL and Wm. S. SYME, brother and son of Mr. John SYME, this city. In this connection, the schoolmates of Dr. Will SYME will be glad to know that he is located in the West End of Glasgow, and is becoming a well known Specialist in diseases of the ear, throat, and nose, and is now Honorary Surgeon to the Ear Hospital of that big city.
December 23, 1904 Marriage MILLEY - CHAFE - At 39 Long's Hill, Dec. 21st, by Rev. J. L. DAWSON, Mr. William MILLEY to Miss Agnes Georgina CHAFE, eldest daughter of Mr. Alfred CHAFE.
December 23, 1904 Death O'NEILL - At Torbay, on the 22nd inst. Sister Mary Gabriel Joseph O'NEILL. Deceased was sister of Mrs. T PHELAN and the late Thomas O'NEILL. Funeral at Torbay, after Requiem Mass. on Saturday, at 10 o'clock. R. I. P.
December 23, 1904 Death MURRAY - On the 22nd inst., after a short illness, Martin MURRAY, aged 66 years, leaving 2 sons and 4 daughters to mourn their sad loss. Funeral takes place on Sunday, at 2:30 p.m. from his late residence, 13 LeMarchant Road, friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend without further notice.
December 23, 1904 Death FOLEY - Last night, after a long illness, Minnie, beloved daughter of Margaret and late James FOLEY, aged 20- years. Funeral notice later.
December 23, 1904 Death The death is announced of Sister Mary Gabriel Joseph O'NEILL, which occurred at Torbay Convent yesterday. The deceased was a sister of Mrs. T. PHELAN and the late Thomas O'NEILL, and had been connected with the Presentation Order for well nigh forty years. About a week ago, a severe cold was contracted, and although having the advantage of medical skill, and the faithful care of the community, amongst which the deceased lady was an honored member, she passed quietly away to her Heavenly home. Sister Mary Gabriel will be missed and mourned by the people of Torbay, to whom for about 33 years, her life was unselfishly devoted.
December 28, 1904 Starving Man Rescued "The old man O'NEILL, who had been subjected to much suffering from starvation, while living alone in a house on George Street, as already reported in the ""News"", was yesterday removed to The Poor Asylum. The unfortunate man's suffering was due in part to himself, as when previously visited by members of charitable institutions, who interested themselves in his case, he absolutely refused to go to the Poor Asylum. Yesterday, he was again visited by members of St. Vincent de Paul's Society, but the authorities had taken the matter in hand, and compelled a course, that in the interests of decency and humanity, should have been adopted long ago. It is unfair to the different charitable societies, and the public in general, to say that O'NEILL was neglected and allowed to starve, as such could have been averted if he so desired."
December 28, 1904 Cause of Assault On Monday night at 11:30, a foul act was committed in the vicinity of Patrick St., and but for the timely interference of some citizens, serious consequences might have followed. A young man named FITZGERALD, who was returning home, was set upon at the foot of Patrick Street by two men - father and son - and was unmercifully beaten. He was kicked about the head and face, and yesterday exhibited several cuts on his face and a deep gash in the neck. The assault was the result of an old feud between the parties. The injured man will summon his assailants to-day.
December 28, 1904 Death by Exposure (Part 1) Yesterday morning it was reported that William CLARKE, of William Street, was missing, and the later news that his frozen body had been found by his brother and two others, caused quite a flutter of excitement. The "News" has learned the following facts in relation to the young man's untimely end: On Sunday afternoon, William CLARKE, a man named WOODROW, who came recently from the United States where he had been for several years, and another, John James TUCKER, left town on the latter's team for Broad Cove, where they intended to spend Sunday night and Monday with friends, CLARKE intending to visit a Mr. PURCELL, who is relative by marriage. They had a large supply of liquor, each having two bottles. By the time they reached Winsor Lake, most of the spirits was consumed, as several whom they met on the road were given a "nip". They called at many of the houses along the roadside, remaining a few minutes at each, and wishing the people the compliments of the season. At 10 p.m., they reached a Mrs. TUCKER's and CLARKE was so overcome, that he sat on the stove. When the lady of the house asked him what was wrong, he replied, "I'm like a fool to-night; I don't know what is the matter with me."
December 28, 1904 Death by Exposure (Part 2) Although the men were intoxicated, they had no liquor with them when at this house, except part of a small flask which was in TUCKER's possession. Leaving Mrs. TUCKER's a few minutes after 10, a young man named Robert TUCKER accompanied them. He was perfectly sober, and went with them to see that they reached their destination. While walking along, a discussion arose and cross words followed, the result being that CLARKE refused to proceed further with his companions, and saying he was going back to town, turned and retraced his steps. At 10:45, Robert TUCKER's wife heard a man sing on the road. Her husband being at a neighbor's house, she blew out the light and raised the blind to see the man. From her description, it was undoubtedly CLARKE. A few minutes later, Mrs. SHORT heard him singing, but her husband being ill in bed, she did not enquire who it was. Mrs. HOGAN, widow of the late Patrick HOGAN, who lives still nearer to town, heard him singing about 11 o'clock, but thought it was one of the men from the settlement. CLARKE's companions, realizing that he intended to keep his word and walking to town, came two miles out the road, but seeing no sign of him, concluded that he was alright, and went to their homes.
December 28, 1904 Death by Exposure (Part 3) They assumed that he returned to St. John's while his friends here believed he was safe at Broad Cove, and no uneasiness was felt until Monday evening when Robert TUCKER came to town and informed his brother, John, who is a Fireman at Central Station. At 9 o'clock yesterday morning, his brother, TUCKER, and a man named KE-RR, left town to search for him. When about half a mile from the Cove, they saw footprints leading from the road. They traced them for about two hundred yards, when they found a cap which they knew belonged to the missing man. Continuing, they saw the snow disturbed, as if a person had been lying down. Ten or twelve such places were noticed, and then under a few small trees, about two hundred yards from where the cap was picked up, the corpse of the man was found. The body was frozen stiff. It was lying on the right side, with the knees partly drawn up. The hands were considerably scratched, which, apparently, was done by the bushes. Blood had flowed from his nose, and his clothing and snow near his head, was covered in frozen blood. Apart from the bruises on the hands, and the blood, there was no evidence that he had been assaulted or ill-treated.
December 28, 1904 Death by Exposure (Part 4) The supposition is that he became weak - the marks in the snow were caused by his falling down - and being conscious of his predicament, by superhuman effort, roused himself and endeavored to struggle on. Eventually, he collapsed under the trees where he was found. It is also thought that death came soon after he lay down for the last time. The feelings of John, when he came upon the frozen form of his brother, can be better imagined than described, for, although he had fears for his safety, he was hardly prepared for the sight which met his gaze. A messenger was sent to inform Inspector General McCOWEN, and the I. G. dispatched Supt. SULLIVAN with a couple of Policemen to the scene. The Supt. found the corpse undisturbed, and immediately procured a catamaran and had it conveyed to the morgue, where an examination was made by Dr. RENDELL. There were no indications of violence, death being due to exposure. At 9 o'clock last night, the body was removed to the man's late home in Georgetown, from where it will be buried. Deceased leaves a wife and three children; he was 30 years of age. An inquiry into the affair will be held in a day or two.

© Chris Shelley,  George White  and NL GenWeb