NLGenWeb Newspaper Transcriptions

Daily News

Year End Review  - 1923


Reprinted courtesy of Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing Any monetary or commercial gain from using this material is strictly
prohibited and subject to legal action.

The records were transcribed by JOHN BAIRD  Formatted by GEORGE WHITE
While we have endeavored to be as correct as humanly possible, there could be some typographical errors.




December 30, 1922 Schooner Port Union, partly burned to the waterís edge at Port Union.

S.S. Sebastopol, ashore at Channel, second time on the one trip. Refloated.

January 4, 1923 Schooner Armistice, Captain J Pette, reported foundered in mid ocean. Crew saved.
January 5, 1923 Monroe & Co.ís schooner Scotch Cure, caught in a pan of ice and driven out of Change Islands. Picked up by S.S. Seal, Captain Carter, and towed in to Seldon Come By, where crew, which had abandoned her, rejoined.
January 9, 1923 Norwegian Steamer Skaraas, 19 days from Narvick, Norway, bound to Philadelphia, arrives with steering gear out of order and deck damage.
January 11, 1923 Schooner Eleanor, E. Kinsella Master, bound from Ferryland to St. Johnís, runs ashore near Witless Bay. Crew escape in safety.
January 12, 1923 Tern schooner Frank R. Forsey, Captain Rose, strikes pier at Grand Bank and sinks. She was homeward bound from Setubal with salt. Refloated the next day owing to salt melting, and moored in the basin.
January 14, 1923 Tern schooner General Jacob, S. Harris, Ltd., ashore at Langlade, Miquelon. Subsequently refloated and towed to Grand Bank.
January 18, 1923 Norwegian schooner Helder, 10 days from Baltimore, bound to Denmark, reached harbor in leaky condition.

S.S. Sachem, picks up disabled Norwegian Steamer Capto, in Lat. 49.45 N., Long 40.10 W., and starts towing her to St. Johnís.

January 26, 1923 Capt James Ellis, of the Emperor of Scotland, in terrific storm, rescued Capt Kearley and crew of the schooner Clintonia, of Belleoram, amid grave difficulties. The crew were compelled to throw themselves into the water, where they were pickled up. The vessel was burned and the lifeboats smashed. The Clintonia was bound from Fortune Bay to Halifax. Crew were brought to New York.
January 28, 1923 S.S. Sachem arrives with steamer Capto in tow, Hawser parted on four different occasions. Storms and field ice impeded progress. Tow was about seven hundred miles and occupied ten days. The Capto was ore laden from Narock to Sydney. Capt Pettie and crew of the wrecked schooner Armistice, rescued by S.S. Horner City, and carried to Newport, Wales, arrived by S.S. Sachem.

February 6, 1923 Schooner Workman, Capt. Ansty, St. Johnís to Seville, reported sunk in mid ocean. Crew rescued by S.S. Maryland and landed at Maderia.
February 8, 1923 S.S. Kyle, after 5 days of terrible experience, arrived at Port aux Basques, with steering gear broken, ship iced up, and crew frost bitten.
February 14, 1923 American Shipping Board steamer, Bellingham, Captain Henry Morgan, bound from Finland ports to Boston, enters port short of coal and provisions. One man, Seaman Head, 35, drowned.
February 20, 1923 Tern schooner Marguerite Ryan, Cadiz to Trinity, reported abandoned in mid ocean. Crew rescued and landed in Panama.
February 23, 1923 Capt. Thomas Janes and crew of six, of sunken schooner A.B. Barteau, of St. Johnís, from Port Ambroy, inward, rescued by Norwegian steamer Hauk, badly frost bitten, after several day on the ice.
February 25, 1923 Crew of the Marguerite Ryan, Trapini to Trinity, rescued in January in mid ocean, by S.S. Corinthian, and landed at Christobal, reaches Boston.

March 1, 1923 Crew of the abandoned schooner Frank H Adams, of Catalina, landed at Milford Haven. The derelict towed into Vigo, Spain, two days earlier.
March 4, 1923 S.S. Sagona, Captain Tavenor, arrives from Louisburg, the round trip having occupied 21 days, mostly spent in the ice off Scatterie.
March 5, 1923 S.S. Belvernon arrives, 5Ĺ days from Halifax, with remains of Robert Clance, fisherman who died in Hospital at Boston; also carrying crew of the schr. James OíNeill, Oporto to St. Johnís, which was abandoned off St. Pierre on March 3rd.
March 6, 1923 Capt. James and crew of the illfated schooner A.B. Berteau, brought to port by S.S. Hauk and taken to Hospital, had been three days and three nights on the ice before rescued.
March 10, 1923 Schooner Bohemia, abandoned and set on fire in Lat 45 N., Long 55.13 W. Crew rescued by schooner Admiral Drake, and subsequently transferred to S.S. Araws.
March 19, 1923 Schooner Nellie T Walters, 61 days from Lisbon to Burin, puts into Halifax after terrific experience.
March 30, 1923 Schooner Gladys M Hollett, abandoned at sea. Crew rescued by S.S. Sable Island, and landed at St. Johnís the following day.

April 3, 1923 Capt Cluett and crew of the schooner Rita M Cluett, bound home from Oporto, rescued by S.S. President Fillmore. The schooner was subsequently fired, 860 miles South of Cape Race, and the crew transferred to U.S. Patrol Cutter Tampa, were landed at Halifax on April 5th.
April 12, 1923 Tern schooner General Ironsides, arrives in Halifax, 70 days from Portugal, bound to St. Johnís.

Schooner Admiral Drake, from New York to St. Johnís, 70 days out, reaches Halifax.

April 17, 1923 Barquentine Clitha, Capt. Burke, reported abandoned in Lat 41 N., Long 47 W., and set on fire. The crew rescued by schooner Jean Campbell, transferred to S.S. Orduna, and landed in England.
April 21, 1923 Schooner Gay Gordon, Captain Fudge, abandoned in Lat. 41,45 N., Long 41.41 W. Crew rescued.
April 29, 1923 Schooner Cape Race, Captain Mark Burke, arrives, 76 days from Seville.

May 3, 1923 First Trans Atlantic steamer to arrive at Montreal for the season, is the S.S. Bolingbroke.
May 6, 1923 Capt. Burke, and six of the crew of the Barquentine Cluths, abandoned at sea, arrived at Halifax by S.S. Pittsburg, from Southampton.
May 7, 1923 S.S. Portia, Capt Field, arrives after 80 days round trip, due to ice conditions.
May 8, 1923 Four women, and 23 men, walk 8 miles over treacherous ice field, between S.S. Kyle and Flat Point, after being icebound in sight of land for 10 days, with provisions dwindling to vanishing point. Just after landing, the wind changed, and the S.S. Kyle reached North Sydney.
May 9, 1923 Between 40 and 50 Trans Atlantic passenger steamers, caught in the ice in Canadian waters.
May 15, 1923 Schooner Spencer Lake, driven ashore at Woods Island, by ice.
May 19, 1923 S.S. Glenburnie, ashore at Spot Point, Highlands, Bay St. George, refloated three days later.
May 20, 1923 Schooner Spencer Lake, refloated by Canadian Government S.S. Montcalm.
May 21, 1923 S.S. Oxonian, Capt. Thomas, with bows badly damaged and leaking, reaches port, carrying 818 head of cattle, bound from Montreal to Birkenhead.

C.P.R. Liner Mervale, Capt. Lewis, crashes on rocks at Cape Freels, one mile from Cape Pine. Passengers and crew numbering 436, reach St. Johnís, by train from Trepassey, two days later. Was bound from Montreal to Liverpool. Was backed off but sank. Formerly Allan Liner Corsican.

May 26, 1923 C.P.R. Liner Melita, arrives from Montreal, takes passengers and crew of wrecked S.S. Marvale, and proceeds to England.

S.S. Rosalind, collides with schooner Bertie Oke, from Musgravetown, doing some damage.

May 31, 1923 Schooner Pellen, grounds on sand bank in Port au Port Bay.

June 14, 1923 Schooner Portia, of Raleigh, abandoned the previous night, when she struck Cranfordís Island. Sails were set when she struck. Later, the schooner slipped off, and was driven under sail to Indian Islands.
June 19, 1923 Schooner Herbert Warren, given up as lost at sea.
June 23, 1923 Schooner Florence B., of Haystack, abandoned 14 miles off Cape Pine. Crew rescued by schooner Ethel H Dicks, Captain Fagan, and landed at St. Maryís.
June 27, 1923 S.S. Seal, Captain Jacob Kean, with 200 passengers, breaks four blades of propellor off Snug Harbor. S.S. Ranger, Capt Abraham Kean, brings assistance.
June 29, 1923 Norwegian steamer O.K. Knudsen, coal laden, Sydney to Wabana, strikes Gull Island Point near St. Vincent. Crew landed at Peterís River. Vessel total loss.

July 1, 1923 S.S. Banda, Sydney to Granville France, coal laden, struck Watering Cove, one mile East of the Knudsen wreck. Crew saved. Total loss. Was a French ship of 3893 tons gross.
July 2, 1923 S.S. Advance, from Boston, runs ashore in a fog while entering Halifax Harbor, and breaks in two. 2458 tons. Ship ran between Boston, Halifax, and St. Johnís.
July 12, 1923 French Warship arrives with several of the crew of the Banker Bassileur, of ST. Malo, rescued after the vessel had taken fire through a gasoline explosion. One sailor succumbed to his injuries just before arrival.
July 16, 1923 Danish schooner Centaurus, which left Harbor Buffett on February 7th. for Oporto, and whose Captain had been arrested for shooting one of the crew, reported missing.

August 13, 1923 Schooner Edward Roy, Captain Thomas OíBrien, Curling, driven ashore near North Sydney.

S.S. Able I, Capt. Murley, collides with wreck, and is beached four miles from Lamaline.

August 16, 1923 Schooner Lucia, from Fortune Harbor to Curling, runs ashore on Woods Island.
August 18, 1923 Schooner Minnie Parsons, Pierce Judge, Master, lost at Bell Isle, in a gale.
August 23, 1923 S.S. Sable I., successfully refloated.

Schooner Conqueror, with 500 quintals of fish, lost at New Harbor, Grosswater Bay, Labrador.

Banking schooner Harmonia, arrives at Carbonear with Portuguese sailor aboard, picked up near the Virgin Rock, four days previously.

August 31, 1923 Portugese Cruiser Carvalhoe Arango, goes ashore half a mile North of La Manche, is pulled off by S.S. Watchful, and towed to St. Johnís.

S.S. Roxburgh, ashore, 14 miles from Botwood.

September 1, 1923 Portuguese Cruiser Carvlhoev Arango, arrives with six of the crew seriously injured. One seaman had both legs amputated, and another one leg.

S.S. Roxburgh refloated, and arrives at St. Johnís two days later.

September 9, 1923 Italian steamer Vesuvio, arrived with steering gear out of order.

Steam tug Hero, sinks at her moorings.

September 23, 1923 Schooner Jacinth, owned by John Barbour, Newtown, ashore at Cape Ballard, ó total wreck.

Schooner Lorna Doone, of Port Union, Capt. Rideout, lost with 600 quintals of fish, off Cape Bonavista.

October 1, 1923 S.S. Troutpool, ashore at St. Pierre Island, total loss.

Schooner Mon Fortune, strikes breakwater at Souris, P.E.I., and sinks.

Schooner Allan F. Ross, breakes anchorage at St. Pierre and is driven on the rocks. Subsequently reached harbor.

Three schooners lost at Port au Bras.

Schooner Electric Flash, total wreck at Renews.

October 2, 1923 Schooner Quickstep, Capt. Bennett, sinks at Burnt Island wharf.

Schooner Norman, lost off Castle Hyde, near Little St Lawrence.

October 8, 1923 Refloated schooner Electric Flash, towed to St. Johnís.

Schooner Wilfred G Jones, George Gooby, Master, destroyed by fire at Snookís Arm.

October 16, 1923 Schooner Jean Dundolad Duff, Capt. C Forward, abandoned in Lat. 42.28 N., Long. 24.43 W. Crew rescued by S.S. Arawa and landed in Colon, Panama.
October 18, 1923 Schooner Freedom, Capt Noseworthy, arrives at Carbonear, 26 days from North Sydney.
October 24, 1923 Schooner William L Macdonald, on fire off New Jersey Coast, abandoned. Crew rescued by S.S. Manuel, included Hugh Grandy, Mate; John R Haines, Cook; Jerry Bungay, Charles Skinner, and James Keeping, all of Newfoundland.

November 12, 1923 Newfoundland schooner Lizzie Divan, from P.E.I., strikes Cerberus Rock off Arichat. Crew rescued by S.S. Robert G Cann.
November 14, 1923 Schooner Olive May, Captain Walter Barbour, ashore at Crockerís Cove Point, Carbonear.
November 25, 1923 Schooner Rosaleen, Barrett, Master, of Bishopís Cove, abandoned at Middle Cove.

December 1, 1923 Schooner Little Princess, belonging to Capt. A Kean, reported abandoned in mid ocean.
December 3, 1923 S.S. Gustavsholm, Capt. Stevenson, 9 days out, from Norfolk, Va., to Gottenburg, Sweden, puts in for repairs.
December 4, 1923 Schooner Ria, of Grand Bank, ashore off the Point, Harbor Grace Beach.
December 15, 1923 Schooner Nahada, Capt. J.C. Peddle, belonging to Benjamin Steed, Musgravetown, B.B., runs ashore near Baccalieu, bound from Canada Harbor to St. Johnís. Crew narrowly escapes, but save none of their belongings.
December 21, 1923 S.S. Silvia, makes fastest record, 37 hours from St. Johnís to Halifax.

© John Baird,  George White  and NL GenWeb