NL GenWeb, frequently asked questions
Where can I find information about the St. John's cemeteries?
The information below was supplied by Debbie Jeans, Certified Genealogist, St. John's, NL
Church of England (now known as Anglican)
There are four Church of England Cemeteries in St.John's but most only count two.
Church of England Cemetery.
The first Cemetery in St. John's was the churchyard of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist which borders on Duckworth Street, Church Hill, Cathedral Street and Gower Street. There are burial records for this cemetery and these can be found with this Church's Parish Records. It is estimated that there are 2000 records but about 6000 people buried there. As this was the only consecrated burial ground for St. John's (prior to 1809) many people, of other religions, wanted their loved ones buried on consecrated land so they would sneak in in the night time and bury their bodies as they did not want the Church of England minister burying their Roman Catholic relative. There are only a few headstones still standing - most are buried in the ground and a few have been moved elsewhere. Available Records - Burial records, at the Cathedral and at PANL. These records start in the early 1750's and are fairly complete. The Cathedral Archives charges a small fee for researching their records. Not Available - Headstones.
Forest Road Cemetery.
Opened in the mid 1800's and although not an active cemetery it is still used for those who have existing plots. It is located at the corner of Forest Road and Empire Avenue and also borders on the road near Quidi Vidi Lake. (Forest Rd. Cemetery had burials beginning in 1839 or 1849. Prior to that date the Burial ground was in the Church Yard of the Anglican Cathedral. I would imagine that for burials prior to 1919 rcords would have been kept at the individual parishes.) Available Records - Burial Records from 1918 to day available at the Cemetery, PANL and the NL & Labrador Genealogical Society located in the old post office building on Water Street, St. John's. Headstones - records for entire cemetery available at the Newfoundland and Labrador Genealogical Society, and again for a small fee will search their data base. St. Thomas Church has one set of very early burials and it is available on microfilm at PANL.
St.Mary's (Old) Church Cemetery.
This third cemetery islocated on the Southside Road in St.John's. Unfortunately the only thing remaining of this cemetery are the records. The church was torn down in the 1950's/60's and the road was widened. This was a very small cemetery but it did have some headstones. The Church has all records and again, for a small fee will search their records. Photocopies of these burial records are available at PANL.
Kenmount Road Cemetery
Opened in the 1960s and is located on Kenmount Road in St. John's (almost out to the overpass)about 2-3 kms west of Wyatt Blvd. This is the current cemetery. The records are in excellent condition. The headstones of this cemetery are not catalogued as this is a relatively new cemetery.
Methodist Cemeteries (now known as United Church)
General Protestant Cemetery.
The oldest cemetery for the Protestant religion is the one located on Old Topsail Road and Waterford Bridge Road. This cemetery is not currently in use except for current plot holders. All Protestant religions used this cemetery but it is maintained by the United Church of Canada. Available records - Burial records from 1888 to the present. These are located at the United Church Archives, Elizabeth Ave; PANL and the Genealogical Society. Headstones - available at the Genealogical Society and the United Church Archives.
Mount Pleasant Cemetery.
This is is the current cemetery. It is located off James Lane or on Cornwall Heights just off Hamilton Avenue. Available records - Burial records. Located at the United Church Archives and the Cemetery. Headstones - not recorded yet
Roman Catholic Cemetery
The first for St. John's was located at the foot of Longs Hill. The records and the headstones for this cemetery were destroyed in the Great Fire 1892. Most of the headstones were said to be wooden. Several references have pointed to a list somewhere of these headstones but none are available for public view. Not Available - Burial Records or Headstones
Opened about 1810, it is located on Bonaventure Ave, Empire Ave and Major Avenue. This cemetery is not in current use except for current plot holders. Many of the Burial Records are lost but there are a few available - 1880-1885 and 1907-1943. There is also a plot record available at the Basilica Office (Basilica of St. John the Baptist on Military Road near Harvey Road and Bonaventure Ave). Burial Records - at the Basilica Office and at the Genealogical Office Headstone Records - Genealogical Office
Mount Carmel Cemetery.
This is located on Kenna's Hill and overlooks Quidi Vidi off the Boulevard. This cemetery is not in current use except for current plot holders. Available Records - Burial Records - unknown, if there are available the Genealogical Society would have a copy. Headstones - Genealogical Society
Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
Located on Topsail Road and Blackmarsh Road and is the current cemetery. Burial records are keep at the Cemetery and under the control of Mary Queen of the World Church located on Topsail Road. Available Records - Burial Records. Not Available - Headstones
Salvation Army Cemetery
Located on Blackmarsh Road between Albany Street and Cashin Avenue / Symonds Ave. Currently in use and the records are kept by the Salvation Army Office on Adams Avenue in St.John's. Available - Burial Records. Headstone Records are with the Genealogical Society.
Located next to the Salvation Army Cemetery on Blackmarsh Road.
Currently in use and the records are kept by the Jewish Synagogue on
Elizabeth Ave (corner of Downing Street) in St.John's. Available - Burial
Records. Headstone Records are with the Genealogical Society.