Year End Review 1934 - Grand Falls"Reprinted courtesy of Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing" Any monetary or commercial gain from using this material is strictly
prohibited and subject to legal action. The records were transcribed by JOHN BAIRD and SUE O'NEILL. While we have endeavored to be as correct as humanly possible, there may be typographical errors.
Grand Falls Academy
Keeping pace with the industrial development of Grand Falls education has also made phenomenal strides. From the little school house on the hill, which was called the Grand Fall Amalgamated School and opened in September 1906, with 15 pupils on the roll, has sprung the three large schools now known as the Grand Fall Academy with a staff of 17 teachers and nearly 700 pupils. These buildings are a handsome donation to the cause of education by the Anglo- Newfoundland Development Company, Ltd. apart from providing the buildings rent free, a very generous contribution is made annually by the Company towards the running expenses of the schools. This, together with Tuition Fees, Rates and educational Grants, enables the School Committee, who was the oversight of the Academy, to balance its budget each year.
The Academy is now under the Headmastership of Mr. R. N. RIPLEY, M..A. Improvement in discipline and general tone of the school has been very marked this past year.
The most modern system of writing has been recently introduced vocal music throughout the School is being introduced. Commencing with the Kindergarten Department at the age of five, children move through a properly graduated course of studies until they pass out with their Junior Matriculation Certificate. In the High School, physics and chemistry are particularly stressed. With the opportunities now presented to the youth of Grand Falls during their school period there can be no excuse in not achieving the best results of they will but apply themselves to the task.
From Grade I to XI proficiency certificates are granted to pupils who average 75 percent in their year’s work. In the third successful year medals are granted in lieu of certificates. The committee grants a scholarship to any pupil from Grade VII onward who averages 75 percent. This scholarship consists of free tuition and books for one year. No prize is given for any subject unless a pupil has received at least 75 percent of the marks allowed for that subject.
The following is a summary of the past year’s results:—
87 Pupils obtained proficiency certificates.
11 pupils obtained proficiency medals,
3 pupils obtained proficiency prizes
75 pupils obtained attendance prizes.
96 Pupils obtained subject prizes.
3 pupils won the Committee C. H. E. results were obtained:—
Pupils Sat Pupils Passed Percentage Distinctions
Grade 6 32 32 100% 85
Grade 7 48 26 54% 46
Grade 8 34 20 50% 53
Grade 9 20 12 60% 25
Grade 10 13 12 92% 25
Grade 11 11 6 55% 8
158 108 64.4% 242
While this is considered a very creditable showing yet it is to be hoped that all will do as well next year as did 6 and 10 this year. We wish then all every success.
During the year a successful program of school athletics was carried out. During the Winter inter-class hockey leagues were organized and carried on for both boys and girls. In the annual three game contest with the Notre Dame R. C. Academy, the Grand Falls boys won the W. MORSE baseball trophy and the R. C. Goodyear football trophy; but lost the V. S. JONES hockey trophy by a narrow margin.
On November 22nd, 1934, the Annual School Concert and Prize Presentation was held. The children from Kindergarten to Grade Five supplied the twelve item of the show. The numbers were well received by the audience which filled the Town hall and the staff received many complements upon the beauty and variety of the costumes worn by the children. After a report on the year’s work had been made by the Secretary of the School Committee and the Principal has spoken of the necessity for co-operation by the parents, the prizes were then presented to the pupils by Mr. V. S. JONES, thus terminating another year in the history of the Grand Falls Academy.
Notre Dame Academy
The sisters of the Presentation Order took over the teaching of the Notre Dame Academy at Grand Falls in September, 1933.
The total number of pupils enrolled at present is 540, with an average daily attendance of 495.
There are 15 sisters on the staff.
C.H.E. Examinations:— in the C. H. E. 124 pupils entered; 100 passed.
This shows 87% passes.
Two pupils in Grade X captured two of the scholarships.
Commercial Departments:— In the Commercial Department the seven pupils who entered for the International Sloan Competition held in June last, secured diplomas, and one was the winner of a silver medal.
Trinity College of Music:— 19 pupils entered the Practical Music, all passed, 6 received honors, the highest marks gained being 92.
Thirteen entered for Theory of Music, all passed and 11 secured honors. One of these pupils led the Island, gaining 100% and two others received 99%.
On December 20th last, the Tots of the Academy, staged in the Town hall, their first operetta” The Doll’s Wedding” and proved to the delight of their parents and friends, the “little people” too , can reach perfection in musical and dramatic circles.
Athletics:— The baseball trophy , a very pretty silver cup, was won by the Notre Dame baseball lads last September, the beginning of the school year.
The hockey team too, carried off the trophy last season. This trophy is the gift of Mr. Vincent JONES, and is an oak plaque decorated with ten silver plates surrounding a large one, which has to be contested for ten years, the fortunate team securing the greatest number of victories will be the proud possessor of the plaque
Improvement and Developments at Grand Falls in 1934
Largest Production For Many Years.
Mills at Full Capacity Except during October When River Exploits Ran Short of Water Causing Curtailment—Completion of Acid Plant and Paper Storage .
The year at Grand Falls has chiefly been remarkable in that for the first in the history of the Anglo-Newfoundland Development Company, the River Exploits ran short of water; which resulted in the curtailment of production to the paper Mill during the month of October.
The rainfall during the months of August and September in particular, was the smallest ever known; less than an inch of precipitation was recorded . Otherwise Mill has run a full capacity and in spite of the above-mentioned shortage the production for the year 1934 is the largest on record.
1934 Construction and Improvement Program
GRAND FALLS MILL
The 1934 Improvement program at Grand Falls consisted of the completion of the Acid Plant and paper Storage, the construction of which was commenced in 1933.
Acid Plant–This consists of a Jenssen two-tower absorption system. The installation of the system involved the construction of two, 100 feet high by 7 feet diameter tile-lined concrete absorption towers and 10 feet rotary sulphur burner and combustion chamber, and a Jenssen lead gas cooler. A new Otis elevator was installed to handle the limestone from the ground to the charging floor of the tower.
Paper Storage—The shed is 720 feet long and 125 feet wide and 50 feet high, and is of steel and galvanized iron construction on a concrete base. The capacity of the shed is approximately 24,000 tone of paper. The paper is carried from the Finishing Room to the Storage shed by a slow moving conveyer. The rolls are then picked up by two overhead traveling cranes and stowed for and five tiers high. The rolls are taken from the shed to the railway cars by Elwell Parker electric trucks. .
BISHOP’S FALLS MILL
New Grinders:– Three new three pocket grinders were installed at Bishop’s Falls during 1934, and increased the ground wood production by approximately 30 tons per day. A 4,000 h.p.s. Morgan Smith water wheel was installed to operate these grinders, and a 1,500 k.w generator. This generator had previously been installed at Grand Falls, but owing to the shortage of ground wood it had to be taken out and replaced by three grinders. The original eighteen grinders have been thoroughly over hauled and placed in first class condition. The daily capacity of the Miss is now approximately 200 tons.
Booster Pumps:– All ground wood produced at Bishop’s Falls is pumped through a 20 inch pipe line to Grand Falls, a distance of 11 miles. Owing to the increased grinding capacity the original pumping station at Bishop’s Falls became overloaded; and to overcome this a booster-pump was installed halfway between Bishop’s Falls and Grand falls.
The pumping equipment consists of a series pump supplied by the Ingersoll Rand Company. The capacity of the pump is 4,000 g.p.m. at 360 foot head. The pump is directly connected to a 450 h.p. Westinghouse motor. The power necessary for operation is obtained from the Bishop’s Falls to Grand Falls transmission line. The power being stepped-down from 13,000 volts to 550 volts through three 150 k.v.a. single phase outdoor transformers. This pump will not only take care of the increased production but will also enable the pulp to be pumped at a higher consistency, thereby decreasing the volume of water to be handled at Grand Falls.
Paper Loading Shed—: during the spring of 1934 a corrugated iron shed 360 feet long was erected on the paper wharf to speed up the loading of the paper boats by eliminating the time lost due to shunting. The shed has capacity of 350 68 inch rolls stowed on the flat. The present method of loading is as follows:–Previous to the arrival of a boat the shed is filled with rolls on the flat. On the arrival of the boat, loaded cars are placed on one side from the cars to the shed by hand trucks, unloaded and rolled through to the side of the ship. They are then picked up, two at a time by the ships derrick and lowered in the hole. While the empty cars are being removed from the wharf the loading of the boat is continued from the reserve in the shed . Previously the loaded cars were placed alongside the ship, unloaded and removed, the loading of the ship being stopped while they shunt was made.
Re-railing:—Due in the increased traffic on the Botwood Railway it was found necessary to replace the original 50-pound rails with a heavier type. During 1933 the section between Botwood and the Diamond Crossing, a distance of 13 miles, was re-laid with 80-pound rails, and in 1934 the remaining section of the 9 miles to Grand Falls was re-laid with 70-pound rails.
During the summer of this year the usual pulpwood cutting for 1935 delivery has been carried on, and we understand 18 percent of wood has been cut than in the previous year. This extra quantity , together with an increase of 15 per cent in the price paid to cutters, has resulted in a considerable increase in wages distributed in this branch of the Company’s operations. At times nearly 2,000 men have been employed in logging operations.
We learned the Company continues to cut at Terra Nova, furnishing employment in that district, and tonnage to the Newfoundland Railway hauling the pulpwood to the Mills. From June to August two heavy trainloads are hauled daily. In addition to the cutting operations work is constantly going on opening up new areas, improving streams for river driving, and building truck roads, and the present speedy transportation of men and supplies has revolutionized the more leisurely methods of former years. Men can now reach camp in a few hours, where at one time two day would be spent.
Accident Prevention and Safety Work
During the eleven months period to November 30th, 1934, the Mill had one of the best safety records in the history of the Company : continues progress is clearly shown in the following tabulation of significant figures:—
1933 to end of Nov. 1934 to end of Nov.
No. of Lost Time Injuries
(a) Disabling 40
(b) Non-disabling 1815
No of Working Days Lost 344 215
per million hours worked 9,400 5,950
No. of working days lost per thousand hours worked 0.244 0.182
A pleasing feature of the fore-going comparison is the absence this year of disabling injuries in the period under review, of which there were four during 1933.
During the twelve months period ending June 30th, 1934, the Mill was engaged in the paper Industry annual Safety Contest and succeeded in attending third place among a group of eighteen other Mills of similar size in the United States and Canada; for this achievement they received a Certificate of Merit awarded by the National Safety Council.
It is felt, however, that with just a little extra effort by all concerned the Anglo-Newfoundland Development Company can improve on this good record and obtain the first place in accident prevention.
The Grand Falls fire Brigade, under the leadership of its popular and capable Chief M. J. SHALLOW, assisted by Captains M. GRACE and W. T. JANES, has maintained its high standard of efficiency..
Fortunately the year has been one of very few alarms, and there has been no serious fire of any kind but the Brigade stand ready to carry out the object of its existence—Protection of Life and Property.
In July we were honored by a visit from Lady ANDERSON, Lady Hastings ANDERSON, Miss RYMER and Commander DICKEN, who stayed for a week at Grand Falls house. Though the visit was quite unofficial, visits were made during the week to Bishop’s Falls, Botwood and Buchans, and Lady ANDERSON graciously showed her interest in the work of the Service League by attending and addressing a large gathering of Service League workers in the Knight of Columbus Hall.
In August we received a visit from the Public Schools Exploring Society of England under the leadership of Commander Murray LEVICK, R. N. of distinguished Antarctic fame. The party consisted of some sixty school boys with five assistant leaders. They spent a month in camp in the woods and carried out some very interesting surveys and explorations. The preliminary and base arrangements were made by Mr. Murray LEVICK , assisted by officials of the Anglo-Newfoundland Development Company Ltd.
In September the Rt. Hon Ramsay MacDONALD spent a week of his Newfoundland Holiday at Grand Falls where he entertained at the Grand Falls House as the guest of Lord ROTHERMERE. Acting on the advice of his London doctors he did not take part in any public functions. Much of his time he devoted to walks in the vicinity of the Town, visiting the Falls on the river, amongst other places; becoming greatly interested in Grand Falls, he talked for an hour with Magistrate SQUAREY. One evening he watched the Grand Falls town team play a football match against the visiting English Public Schoolboys and on three afternoons he played a round golf at Rushy Pond.
During his visit he granted an interview to Messrs. BANKS SCOTT and A. DUGGAN representing the Local Union of the Pulp Sulphate and Paper Mill worker’s Union.
NEW BUILDINGS AND IMPROVEMENTS
The Grand Falls co-operative Society’s new store was opened in May. This is an imposing one-story concrete building situated on High Street and greatly adds to the appearance of this part of the town.
A new Church of England Rectory has been built on the site of the old Rectory on Exploits Avenue and is a fine new concrete building.
Considerable work was done during the summer on the drainage and surface of the High Street and the sidewalk which was extended to the end of the new Co-operative Store.
Church Lad’s Brigade
The C.L.B. have had a year of steady progress. Owing to the fact that the Brigade Hall was occupied, parades were held in the Winter and Spring in the parish Hall and subsequently in the Rink. Now the Brigade Hall is free again and the Brigade is back in its old home. On the strength at the present time are 100 all ranks.
In may exhibition of Drill, Physical Training and Pyramids was held, at which awards and promotions won n 1933 were presented.
A Church parade was held at Botwood in addition to the regular Church parades in Grand Falls the Brigade turned out on Memorial Sunday, and a good contingent was sent to the annual camp at Topsail.
In October the Indoor Sports were held in the rink and proved a great success, and in the week before Christmas annual competition for the best squad and the yearly promotions and awards were held in the Brigade Hall.
The Officers and N. C. O.’s of the Brigade are as follows:— Major L. R. COOPER, Commanding Officer; W. J. SHORT, Second in Command, Captain J. C. CONSTABLE, Adjutant; Lieut. F. A. STONE, Lieut, G. SAUNDERS, 2nd Lieut. G. LeMOINE, C. S. M. R. J. HILLER, C.Q.M. S. E. GREENE, Sergt. M. WAY, Sergt. F. A. EARLE, Sergt. B. BARTIE, Sergt. E. SCOTT.
Catholic Cadet Corps.
The year 1934 has seen good progress: the total strength of the corps has risen to 110, of all ranks. Headquarters are again established in the Brigade Hall.
The officers and Senior N. C. O’s are as follows:– Commanding Officer, Major P A. EDWARDS, Adjutant, Captain J DELANEY, Captains, D. BIRD, D.A. O’FLYNN, A. CRAWLEY, 1st. Lieuts. R. SULLIVAN Bandmaster, J. J. MURPHY, 2nd Lieuts. P. J BYRNE, L. C. EDWARDS, Drums and Bugles, quarter Master, J. P. MOLLOY , Sergeant Major L. C. WHITE; Sergeants, L KELLY, C ANSTEY, R BROWN, H McKENZIE, J HENNESSEY; Band Sergeants J QUINLAN, N. McKENZIE.
The men’s and Women’s auxiliary and finance Committee have rendered much help and encouragement under the Chairmanship of Rev. W. FINN. Mrs. J. P. MOLLOY and Mrs. A. W. JACKMAN.
Athletics have been a great feature of the Corps and second places in the hockey, football and baseball leagues show that the Corps is keeping up its keen interest in these events, under the Captaincy of C. J. POWER, J. FOLEY and J. L. HANNAFORD respectively.
During the year four church Parades and one Ceremonial parade were held.
Boy Scouts Association
Under an new Executive Committee consisting of the following:–Chairman Mr. G. S. PINCOTT; Secretary-Treasurer Mr. L MOORE; committee , Messrs. H BAIRD, K GOODYEAR, W. MORROW, A. G. OGILVIE, R. N. RIPLEY, G. TAYLOR, H. S. WINDSOR, the boy Scouts have been revived during 1934 and there is evidence of keen enthusiasm, with the following officers in charge:– Rover Leader, M.r. A. J CHRISTIAN, Scout Master; Mr. W. DOWN, Assistant Scout Master, A SOPER, Cub Master, E. DACKERS, Assistant Cub Master H. LUDLOW.
They have taken over the old Shack-town store of 1908 memory–in future to known as the “Scout hut”–for their headquarters , which building had been put in good condition by the Rovers, assisted by the Scouts under the direction of Albert SOPER, and will shortly be painted inside and out.
Regular weekly meetings are now being held by the Group, which are up to full strength. A Second troop will be started as soon as there are sufficient Rovers trained to officer it.
Great War Veteran’s association
The Association has made great strides during the past year: there is a better understanding exhibited amongst all ranks, the Association is now founded on a solid foundation and with all pulling together the aims and objects of the Association will be maintained.
Executive for 1934:–President Mr. L MOORE; Vice-president, H. K GOODYEAR, Secretary-treasurer J CATER; past president G. HICKS; Past President L. R. COOPER, committee Messrs. H. S. WINDELER, W. H. MORROW, Wm. SIMPSON, Harry BAIRD.
Membership: A drive for members was made through the year, and up to date the roll number nearly 150 members, there are still others to come in.
Re-Union:– A re-union of Ex-service men and lady friends was held during the winter, which consisted of first card party, for which prizes were awarded, then refreshments were served, and the evening finished up with a dance.
Forget-me-not ; It was decided this Summer to run a sale of Forgot-me-nots, sale was held on Branch confined themselves to the sale of poppies for relief purposes. Forget-me-not sale was held on the last day of June, and despite the inclement weather a fairly good amount was raised; the gross proceeds amounted to $204.20.
Memorial Day:–the usual commemoration Service was held on July 1st, when a large number of citizens again paid their respect to those who answered the last roll call. A large representation of the Ex-service men, C.L.B. , C. C. C., Girl Guides, Girl Guards, and brownies were on parade. His Lordship the Bishop of Newfoundland addressed the gathering.
Poppy Day:– Poppy Day was observed on Saturday, November 10th. The weather was again against us, but the ladies were not to be defeated. A very creditable showing was made; the gross returns amounted to $362.56, an increase over last year of $11.94; this includes sales from Grand Falls, Millertown and Badger.
Armistice Day:–this eagerly looked for event was as usual a decided success and amongst the hundreds present everyone expressed their delight at having a great time; roughly 410 people attended . The Hall was very beautifully decorated, the refreshments were of a high standard and were very capably looked after by Mrs. MOORE. The committee in charge worked the whole day and made sure that everything was as it should be : the receipts amounted to $240.00, the highest amount reached at a local dance.
A legacy of $500.00 was received from the Executors of the will of the late Mr. A. E. HARRIS. Mr. HARRIS was always a very great friend of the Association, his particular interest being the Memorial Grounds. Some years back he very kindly donated an iron fence and two double gates for these grounds. There is no doubt that this legacy will be ear-marked for the Memorial Ground and extension will no doubt be made in due course.
Dominion Conference:—This branch was represented at the first Dominion Conference held in the City of St. John’s on July 9th last, by Messrs. HICKS, COOPER and BAIRD; at this Conference Mr. MOORE and Mr. HICKS were elected on the Dominion Executive. The Grand Falls branch extended an invitation to the Dominion Command to meet at Grand Falls next year; this offer was accepted, and the next Conference Will be held here, perhaps in July.
At a meeting of the service League held on November 21st, all the Officers of the past year were re-elected:– President Mrs .P.J. GRIFFIN; Vice President, Mrs. W. T. PETRIE; Secretary Mrs. H. C. HANSON; Treasurer, Mrs. FERGUSON.
Meetings are held every Thursday afternoon and it is hoped that splendid work accomplished last year will continued.
The following entertainments have been held:—
On March 17th, St. Patrick’s Night, the Old Stagers produced a first class Irish Comedy “A Bit of Blarney.”
On April 5th the annual Easter Dance under the auspices of the Elks, was held, the receipts being used for charitable purposes.
On April 26th the Andopians produced the 3 act Comedy “Tilly of Bloomsbury” in aid of the C. L. B. funds and this very successful play was repeated on May 3rd.
Also in April Messrs MacDUFF and COPELAND gave a splendid Musical Recital and this was repeated on their return visit in October.
On May 9th the Firemen Annual Ball was held and was as usual one of the best events of the year.
On May 10th a very successful Boxing Competition was staged in the Town hall under the management of B. MacDONALD, and later in the year a contest for the Lightweight Championship of Newfoundland was held in the Rink and was won by J. Pond of Grand Falls.
In the summer, on July 30th, the Labor Unions held their annual Dance putting finishing touch to a very enjoyable holiday.
In September 26th and 27th we were privileged to receive a visit from the G. W. V. A. Dramatic Troupe in St. John’s under the direction of Captain J. J. O’GRADY. They reproduced the very successful Naval Comedy “The Middle Watch” and we look forwarded to a return visit from this talented troupe sometime in the future.
On October 31st the Annual Halloween Dance—this year under the auspices of the C. L.B. –was held and proved a very enjoyable evening.
On November 22nd the Grand Falls Academy Concert and Prize giving took place and was up to its usual high standard.
On November 28th the Paper Makers Union held their annual dance and the very large number present were loud in their praises of a most excellent dance.
In the week before Christmas the R. C. Academy produced a most successful operetta performed by the pupils of the school and subsequently the presentation of prizes was held.
On December 21st, the Christmas Tree to the small children of the Town, given annually by the Anglo-Newfoundland Development Co., Ltd. took place.
© John Baird, Sue O'Neill and NL GenWeb