NFGenWeb History

Burin Peninsula Region ~ Lawn District

Tidal Wave

Transcribed by JOHN BAIRD, February 2002. While I have endeavored to be as correct as humanly possible, there could be errors. 

NOVEMBER 18, 1929 - DECEMBER 2, 1929

This earthquake and tidal wave killed 27 and destroyed almost all of the Southwest coast of Newfoundland. It was felt as far away as Halifax but no damage or wave reach that far. St. Pierre, P.E. I., Nova Scotia and the North Shore of Quebec did not receive any damage. All are of different dates but published on the date in Daily Paper due communication problems caused by the quake and tidal wave.

November 19, 1929

From The Daily News Paper


Second Shock felt in Halifax at 8.30 Was More Severe Plunging Town in Darkness
For Five Minutes


Comedy and terror strangely intermixed during the experience of yesterdayís earth-shock. About five oíclock 5.02 is given as the exact moment , buildings in the whole city were shaken by a trembling which lasted a full minute or more. Boilers were generally blamed as the cause, and S O S calls went out to janitors and furnace men to inquire what was the-matter. A few people who had previously experienced the sensation, after a momentís hesitation , realized what was happening, but a deal of alarm was felt throughout the town.
No serious damage was done though in one or two instances stoves collapsed, while the lights went out at the General Hospital. The telephone was temporarily swamped by anxious inquiries from families at home of their husbandís or fathers at business as to what was the matter.


Reports soon began to come in from all parts of the country telling of their experience. Bay Roberts reported that one Western Union cable was broken somewhere between there and New York, and the Anglo also reported other cables broken through they were unable to tell to what amount.


A SECOND SHOCK WAS FELT AT Halifax about 8.30 Nfld. S. T. more severe than the first and the electric current were cut off leaving the town in darkness for a period of five minutes and adding very greatly to the terror. This second shock was also reported felt at Cape Race and other places on the Southern Shore , though it was apparently unnoticed in St. Johnís . It is also declared that a small tremor was felt in the city shortly after two p.m.
Other messages received by the DAILY NEWS were as follows:- 

Bell Island : Earth shock was felt heavily here but no damage occasioned in the mine or elsewhere on the island.

Glovertown: A severe earth shock accompanied with a loud rumbling noise was felt here this afternoon for about 1 Ĺ minutes or over. Buildings and houses in the vicinity were trembling quite a bit. It was passed before we realized that it was an earth disturbance.

Bay Roberts: Earthquake felt at 5.05. Many folks left their homes in alarm. Type cases in Guardian office crashed to floor, but no damage occasioned in neighborhood.

Pouch Cove: Severe earthquake shock felt here about five oíclock.

Buchans: Earth tremor felt here at Millertown and the Junction at 5.05, but no damage occurred.

Montreal: Earthquake shock general throughout the Maritimes and New England but not felt here through very noticeable as far north as Murray Bay and in Quebec city. No serious damage occasioned.
An Ottawa message from the Canadian Press says: ďA severe earthquake, thought to have centered along the Quebec-Labrador boundary 845 miles northeast of here, was recorded this afternoon. Its epicenter was at first thought to be in the Mississippi valley, but its intensity proved to be centered along the North Atlantic coast.

The humourous side of the situation soon made itself apparent after the first alarm passed through that was very real. In some sections people flocked to the street alarmed at the strange noises and shaking. In the Court House a message was sent down to know what was the matter with the boiler. In the memorial College and other educational centers similar messages were dispatched to the furnace room. At the Memorial College the rattling and shaking were very pronounced. In a certain garage a mechanic making some repairs to a machine became alarmed as he found the machine rocking, and thought he was having a fit. In another case a lady in the midst of afternoon ablutions felt the bath to send a hurried SOS to her husband that the boiler was blowing up.

Reports were received by the railway that the shock had been felt all along the railway with considerable intensity.

Scientists Think Quake Was Centered Underwater
Halifax, Nov. 19.- Dalhousie scientists are inclined to agree with the indications of the Harvard and Yale seismographs that the earthquake was centered underwater somewhere off the North Atlantic coast. The Western Union announced several of their cables broken off on the Nfld. coast and the ships Lord Kelvin and Cyrus Field were ordered to proceed. Breaking cables in submarine quakes is quite common. Several Maritime points also strengthen the submarine theory. Dominion Observatory officials place the center either off the coast or near the west coast of Newfoundland. The disturbance was general throughout the Maritime and New England but only minor damage reported. Harvard scientists believed centered Fundian Fault which extends from Bay Fundy into Atlantic.

NOVEMBER 20, 1929


Halifax Reports Twelve Submarine Cables Smashed in Mondayís Earth Shock-
Liner Off Grand Banks Experienced Vibration for Two Minutes.

Epicenter apparently 300 Miles South.

Halifax, Nov. 20- (C.P.)- It is believed that the earthquake of Monday broke three Western Union cables 350 miles east of Newfoundland , four Commercial cables, two Imperial cables and three cables of the French cable company, while the service of the Pacific Cable Board is seriously interrupted.

New York reports that the line Caledonia south of the Grand Banks on Monday experienced the earth shock causing violent vibrations onboard for two minutes, but no damage done to the ship.

Local reports from the Anglo State that the cause of one of their cables broken by Mondayís earthquake, the break has been definitely located by the engineers 350 miles south of St. Johnís, and this point would seem to indicate the epicenter of the disturbance which alarmed this country. Several cables of other companies are also reported broken and more that one fracture seems to have occurred in most cases.

Due to so many cables being put out of business was apparently severe and no Canadian press cables came through from early afternoon until two this morning.

The quake formed the chief topic of conversation yesterday and there was tremendous for the Daily News yesterday morning.

NOVEMBER 22, 1929


Telegraph Office is Anchored in Harbor


(To George J. VEITCH Esq.)

Burin, 10 p.m., Nov. 21.-Furthering my previous report:

Lamaline:- One Man, Thomas LOCKYER, off Allanís Island died of injuries. All stages and stores along waterfront were swept away.

Point au Gaul:-All fishing property, stages, stores, five cod traps, all provisions and about one hundred tons of coal, three dwellings houses and seventy other buildings gone, with eight lives, namely T. J. HIPDITCH, Thomas HIPDITCH, H. P. HIPDITCH, E. H. HIPDITCH, Thomas HILLIER (oil inspector), Irene HILLIER, Mrs. Eliza WALSH, Thomas, Miss M. A. WALSH.

Taylorís Bay:- Fifteen families homeless, all fishing property with provisions and coal swept away, four lives lost namely, Mrs. Robert BONNELL, Bartholemew BONNELL, and two children.

Lordís Cove:- All fishing property with provisions and coal swept away, four lives lost, namely , Mrs. P. RENNIE and three children.

Lawn:- All fishing property with most of the boats and dories, provisions and coal gone, no lives lost.

St. Lawrence:- No lives lost, all flakes and stores on both sides of the harbor swept away with all provisions and coal.

Corbin:- Swept clean, no lives lost.

Lance au Leau:-One dwelling house and all fishing gear lost.

Great Burin:- Swept, no loss of life.

Stepaside:- All waterfront premises gone, one dwelling house , no life lost.

Kellyís Cove:- Three dwellings houses and all fishing premises gone, two lives lost, Mrs. Vincent KELLY, and daughter.

Collinís Cove, Ship Cove, Burin North and Burin East:- All waterside premises lost or damaged, no lives lost.

Port au Bras:- Seven lives lost, namely , Mrs. Thomas FUDGE and three children, Henry DIBBON and sister, Mrs. Sam BENNETT and Mrs. William ALLAN; eleven dwellings houses, fourteen small schooners, all dories and skiffs and all waterside premises and provision gone.

Rock Hr.:- report swept, no authentic news.
Daisy left here this evening for Argentia with delegation Hon. G. A. BARTLETT, Rev. Father MILLER and Captain W. H. HOLLETT to lay matter before Government. There is great distress and privation and great need of provisions and fuel from Rock Harbor to Lamaline . St. Lawrence office is anchored in middle of St. Lawrence Hr. and Lordís Cove telegraph office totally destroyed.
COX, Operator.

Flakes and stages Swept into Ruins

Coal and Provisions and Stock of Fish Washed to Sea by Tidal wave Monday- 
Destitution Most Severe.


As a bolt from the blue the news of the disaster which overtook the towns and settlements on the east side of the Burin peninsula on Monday reached the city yesterday morning. During the week communications with the Southwest Coast had been severed, but as no report of serious damage had come from elsewhere no fears were felt regarding the earthquake. St Maryís, Trepassey and other places on the southern end of the Peninsula of the Avalon had suffered to some extent from it, but there was nothing to indicate that it was of such terrific force as to cause such loss of life and property as has now been reported.

Rose To Great Height

The tidal wave struck with great force on the west side of Placentia Bay. Sweeping in from Atlantic, when it reached the comparatively narrow entrance of Placentia Bay, it rose to a great height, dashed with relentless fury against the lower end of Burin Peninsula and then rushed along the coast until its force was spent, leaving death and disaster in its wake. Lamaline and vicinity suffered most severely. Here the coast is rugged and flat, and the people had built their houses as close to the sea as was considered safe. For many years the sea had lashed the rocks without danger to their houses, but the hardy fishermen and their families had no fear of disaster overtaken them from this direction. Allanís Island, protected to some extent Lamaline proper, but Point au Gaul , Taylorís Bay and Lordís Cove, to the eastward, are comparatively exposed, being more than shallow inlets in the coastline. Only speedy evacuation of homes could have prevented a great loss of life and a tragic fact is that women and children from greater number of the dead.
From Lordís Cove to Burin , a section which includes Lawn, Great and Little St. Lawrence and Corbin, all waterside property suffered but there was no loss of life. At Kellyís Cove, a little exposed, place near Burin, however, two people perished, their homes being swept away.


Up the narrow channel, between the islandsí on which are situated Great Burin, Stepaside, Footeís Cove, etc., and the mainland, the wave swept with greater fury, flinging itself on the eastern part of Port au Bras, where it swept homes away and carried seven persons to destruction. On the way it created havoc in Burin Harbor, particularly doing immense damage to the property of Hon. George BARTLETT, who is reported to have lost his flakes and store in which were large quantities of fish and provisions. Sweeping from Port au Bras beyond Fox Cove and Mortier , and across the mouth of Mortier Bay, it struck Rock Harbor another exposed place, where considerable damage was done.


In its way then was the low-lying Flat Islands, with its population of 400 or 500 souls. What damage was done there is not known, as no reports have been received from it. Yesterday grave anxiety was felt for the people there, for if the wake broke in its shallow harbor, with the houses built right on the water edgeís, it must have caused terrible destruction. It may be however, as the harbor of Flat Island does not face the entrance to the bay, it escaped any serious damage. It is devoutly to be hope so.


It was also feared yesterday that St. Pierre suffered heavily, but messages from there last evening indicated that no serious damage had been sustained there. Fears were also entertained for the S. S. Glencoe, which left Burin on Monday, but she reported from St . Jacques all well. Apparently Placentia Bay received the full force of the destruction, for from Grand bank west no great loss is reported. Yesterday Mr. FUDGE , the member for Fortune Bay, who is in town, and who left by the Meigle last night, was anxious about Pass Island, from which no report has been received, but as Fortune Bay points generally escaped it is probable no great damage occurred there. The disaster is one of the greatest in the history of the island, and the following messages, which the Daily News has received through the courtesy of the various Government departments, tell the story in detail:- 


Lamaline, Nov. 21-A disastrous tidal wave was experienced here on Monday evening about 7 oíclock preceded by a violent earth tremor at 5 p.m. , carrying in its wake great loss of life and property.

At Point au Gaul the following were either killed or drowned: Thomas G HILLIER, married, with family; Mrs. Henry HILLIER, and four grandchildren were swept away in her house; Mary Ann WALSH, aged spinster, and Elizabeth WALSH, widow, shared the same fate.

At Taylor Bay, Mrs. Robert BONNELL and her children were drowned also two children of Bertran BONNELLI. A child of George PIERCEY has since died of injuries.

At Lordís Cove, Mrs. Patrick RENNIE and three children were drowned in the house

At Allanís Island , James LOCKYER aged 81 , was crushed by the sea and died in a few hours.

At high Beach, Meadows, Allanís Island, North Side, Muddy Hole, Point au Gaul, Taylorís Bay and Lordís cove, practically all property on the waterfront and in some cases extending far inland was swept away, including many dwellings, leaving the occupants homeless.

The roads between Lamaline and Lordís Cove were seriously washed out and all bridges between those two points were washed away or rendered impassable. The monetary loss cannot approximately be estimated but it is believed it will reach many thousands of dollars.
Five of the bodies have not yet been recovered.



Captain Thomas HOLLETT of Burin who left for home by S. S. Meigle last night, informed the Daily News that he had had a message to the effect that although his premises had been inundated that a great deal of damage had not resulted. 


Mr. Dorman ELLIOTT of Rencontre West wired to St. Johnís yesterday that the shock had been felt severely with heavy tidal wave but no great damage had been done between Bay LíArgent and Grand Bank.

To Gerald DOYLE, St. Johnís.
S.S. Portia, via Cape Race, Nov. 21-

Destruction of portion of property at Lamaline. No lives lost. Pt. Au Gaul, Lordís Cove, Taylor Bay suffered badly. Property and 18 lives lost. No names obtainable yet.
(Sgd.) Capt. W. B. KEAN


Port au Bras-Mrs. B widow of Captain Samuel BENNETT who , a few years ago , was lost from his schooner outside of St. Johnís Harbor, left her house to visit her brother, Mr. Henry DIBBIN. Both were carried out to sea. Six houses built on breakwater were carried out to sea en masse.


To Deputy Minister of Customs.

Marystown, Nov. 21.- No loss of property of any account occurred in this vicinity, excepting the store of John WALSH which was carried away through most of the goods were recovered.

At Rock Harbor everything was swept away-wharves, flakes, stores and also the dwelling house of Jas. Hodder with all its contents including five hundred dollars in cash. The tidal wave occurred following the second quake, rising to a considerable height and sweeping the Narrows with great violence, carrying schooners and everything before it.- Collector.

NOVEMBER 22, 1929


To Department of Justice.

Burin, Nov. 21.- Burin experienced very severe earth tremors at 5.05 p.m. , Monday, followed by an immense 15 foot tidal wave which swept practically everything along the waterfront from port au Bras to Great Burin. There is scarcely a waterside premises left standing. Seven dwellings houses in Port de Bras were carried to sea with a loss of seven lives. Four houses at Kellyís Cove and Stepaside disappeared to sea in an instant with loss for two lives. None of the bodies yet recovered, there are many hair-breath escapes and many people are suffering from shock and privation. S. S. Daisy doing excellent work since eight oíclock last night. The loss of property is terrible and hundreds of people will be destitute. As yet can get no particulars from St. Lawrence to Garnish inclusive. A severe S. E. Gale and rain storm is raging. Everything possible at present is being done.-M. HOLLETT

To Deputy Minister of Customs:
Burin Nov.19.- An eruption shook the coast at 4.45 p.m. yesterday and at 5p.m. a tidal wave 15 feet over normal spring tides occurred, sweeping all stages, flakes, many stores and dwellings away. Seven dwellings with seven lives lost at Port au bras. Three dwellings went to sea. We searched and found them but no persons. Towed one dwelling to Burin. six others dwellings in reach all broken up. South East storm on. Saving what craft possible to-day. Hon. Geo BARTLETT heavy loser.- J. DEE.

From Sir William COAKER who is at present in the city staying at Newfoundland Hotel: 

At 2.20 p.m. Tuesday when 100 men were employed loading fish, a tidal wave of 6 or 7 feet was experienced. The schooners at the pier were grounded and it was fully ten minutes before the water returned and conditions were again normal. A schooner which was coming down the harbor at the time was forced around in a complete circle. The breakwater at the bottom of Catalina was swept away. Some twenty or more cracks were caused in the power house which was built of concrete and stone, but otherwise no serious damage was done.


Burin, 3 p.m. Nov. 21.- Burin experienced severe earth tremors at 5 p.m. on the 18th followed at 7.35 p.m. by a 15 foot tidal wave which swept everything all along the water front. 16 dwellings houses with nine lives, mostly women and children, gone. Four bodies recovered. 18 lives have been lost at Lordís cove and Lamaline. Daisy rendering every assistance. St Lawrence also swept no lives lost. Destruction to property terrible and many people left destitute and homeless. Doing all possible to relieve suffering. Daisy now at Lamaline.

Lawn 6 p.m. Nov. 21.- S. S. Glencoe harboured Bay LíArgent Wednesday night. Strong west wind and snow all day Thursday. Terrible destruction along the coast. Called at St. Lawrence for passengers to-day. 31 buildings swept away there, nearly all boats at government wharf completely destroyed. Remaining at Lawn till weather abates. Sgn. KEAN

Fortune, 9p.m. Nov. 21- Grand bank report no damage. Stricken area between Port au Bras and Lamaline. Lawn Power Co. suffered no damage except loss of a number of poles washed from the seashore. Sign. KEAN.

To Marine & Fisheries Dept.

Point au Gaul, Nov. 21-About 80 building and eight lives including Thos. G. HILLIER were lost at Point at Point au Gaul.-Edgar HILLIER

Bridges Swept Away

Constable Woodford of Marystown wired Inspector General HUTCHINGS in follows: Earthquake felt here Monday afternoon and tidal wave at 7.30 p.m. causing damage and loss of fishing property at Rock Harbor, together with dwelling houses and the bridges. Estimate damage $35,000. No one lost in my territory, making full report first mail. 

To Newfoundland Railway

Great havoc from Rock Harbor W. Lamaline at Rock Harbour waterside premises. provision and boats swept . Mortier about the same.
Port au Bras-11 dwellings and seven lives swept out of harbour. Four bodies recovered. Water front swept clean including all provisions. Burin Settlements, 5 dwellings and 75 p.c. water front swept two lives lost. Corbin swept clean, no lives lost. People destitute.
Rumoured St. Lawrence, Lordís Cove, Lawn, Lamaline suffered greatly.
Will communicate facts on arrival at Lamaline. Message via Garnish 18 lives lost at Lamaline and Lordís Cove, including Tom HELLIER, fishery inspector. Southeast gale and rain to-day.

Wireless to Minister of Marine and fisheries, via Portia and Cape Race.- Burin experienced very great earth tremors 5.05 p.m. followed at 7.35 p.m. by immense 15 feet tidal wave which swept every thing along water front 16 dwelling houses with 9 lives, mostly women and children gone. Four recovered. All communication by wire cut off. Report is that 18 lives have been lost at Lordís Cove and Lamaline. S. S. Daisy rendering every assistance. St Lawrence also swept. No lives . Destruction to property terrible, and many people destitute and homeless. Am doing all possible to relieve suffering. Daisy now at Lamaline. Writing particulars.

Note:- A Similar message to the above was received by the Prime Minister.

To Superintendent VEITCH
Monday 18th at 5.05 p.m. severe earth tremor felt here and vicinity lasting about two minutes. At 7.35 p.m. a fifteen foot tidal wave swept the coast, tremendous damage done to property along water front. Three dwelling houses at Kelleyís Cove were swept to sea with Mrs. Vincent KELLYand her daughter in one. No trace of bodies. At Port au Bras seven dwelling houses were swept to sea and seven people were drowned in them as follows:- Mrs. Thomas FUDGE and three children in one, Mrs. Capt. Sam BARTLETT and her brother Henry DOBBON in another, and Mrs. William ALLAN in a third. The bodies not yet recovered.
Operator, Burin.

We are not getting as far as Belleoram no lives lost and very slight damage anywhere on our branch including wireless points.


Along coast from Bay LíArgent to Burgeo very little damage has been done and no lives lost. At Cape La Hune a few buildings were dislodged on the waterfront.


To Justice Department

Cape La Hune, November 21.- On Monday night West Cul De Sac severely felt the effects of the tidal wave which swept the coast. Stephen SPENCER lost practically all his property- dwelling house, shop, stages, flakes, stores-leaving him with out food or shelter. William PARSONS, fishermen, suffered like fate. All the fishermen lost their stages and some other property. The settlement is left in ruins. Estimate of loss unknown.

NOVEMBER 23 1929

Delegation From Burin Meets Cabinet Yesterday

Discuss with Government Relief measures necessary in Stricken Area- 
Will Meet Board of Trade This Afternoon


A delegation consisting of Hon. G. A. BARTLETT, Rev. Fr. MILLER, P.P. of Burin, and Captain W. H. HOLLETT of Burin arrived in town yesterday morning to meet the government in connection with relief measures necessary to cope with the immediate needs of the stricken area on the Burin Peninsula between Rock Harbor and Lamaline and will meet the Board of Trade this afternoon. Hon. G. A . BARTLETT granted the Daily News an interview last night after the delegation had met a committee of the Executive Government and the board of Trade. Mr. BARTLETT stated that the delegation had been courteously received by the Prime Minister and were deeply indebted to the Government for its prompt action in sending S. S. Meigle to the scene of the disaster.
In connection with the disaster Mr. BARTLETT stated that he estimated the damage to property at a million dollars. Mr BARTLETT was on Board S. S. Daisy after tea on Monday night, when the steamer was lying at the government wharf. Someone on the wharf made an outcry, and he rushed onto the wharf. He saw the water recede first and then come in with a bore. The bore collapsed and the Daisy struck bottom. He immediately went around the harbor to his own premises where he found that his buildings were submerged. His shop measuring 30 by 60 feet, was lifted bodily and deposited 200 feet away, but most of the stock in it was intact. A store with reserve stock damaged. The retail store was damaged in the lower flat, and all flakes carried away and 4,000 quintals of fish were not damaged.
Stepaside was absolutely laid on ruins. Captain W. H. Foote lost his stores, traps and all his fishing gear, being the heaviest loser. At Bulls cove a store owned by LeFEAURE Bros. And containing 150 quintals of fish, collapsed, at Stepaside Mr. And Mrs. INKPEN who were ill, were removed to safety before their home was swept away. At Shipís Cove the stages and stores of the Burin Import Co., were damaged and the store of Captains W. H. and Thomas HOLLETT badly wrecked with their contents.
Port aux Bras lost seven lives and all property along the waterfront was carried away, including seven fishing boats, together with dories, traps and fishing equipment. Lawrence CHEESEMAN was the greatest sufferer, losing two stores, stages, wharf and flakes, 300 quintals of fish, 60 barrels of flour and 20 barrels of pork and beef. The contour of the harbor has been completely changes and the bottom altered.
Corbin which is three miles west of Burin, is totally swept. A house occupied by Luke COADY, his wife and two children, was swept out to sea. Mr. COADY tried to get the door of the house open and whilst doing so the house came back to shore and was swept out the second time, again the house went out and just as it came back to shore the door was wrenched open and with his two children under his arm and his wife clinging to his back he jumped to safety. Epworth and Burin Bay Arm suffered no damage.
Hon. Mr. BARTLETT spoke in the highest terms of the works of S. S. Daisy Captain WHELAN and Inspector J. H. DEE, and emphasized the fact that the Daisy in the work she had done bringing relief to the suffering, had absolutely justified her existence on the coast. Within half an hour of tidal wave the Daisy was away from the wharf her mission picking up those who had been washed to sea, and also their belongings and bringing others to safety.


The following report of the disaster was received by the Deputy Minister of Customs
yesterday from Mr. J. H. Dee, inspector of Revenue Service:--


S. S. Daisy
Crossing Placentia Bay
November 21, 1929

Sir:- On Monday the 18th, at 5.05 p.m. an eruption of the earth occurred which was felt along the coast. At 8 p.m. a tidal wave raised to a height of 15 feet over the highest spring tide, swept the coast. At Burin all fishing stages, flakes, small stores and many dwellings were carried away and many lives lost.
At Port au Bras the following lost their homes:- Jerry Cheeseman, Joseph Cheeseman, Thomas Brenton, Henry Dibbon, of John, John S. Dibbon, John William Allen, George Abbott, W. H. Clarke, Thomas W. Cheeseman.

At Kellyís Cove:- Vincent Kelly, Alfred Cooper, Wm. Brushett.

The death list at Burin and Port au Bras is :- 

Kellyís cove:- Mrs. Vincent Kelly and her daughter, aged 14 years.
Port au bras:- Mrs. Jessie fudge, and three daughters, viz: Gertrude, aged 15 years, Hannah M., aged 11years, Harriett, aged 9 years: Mrs. Mary Bennett, aged 55 years, Mrs. Wm. Bennett, aged 55 years; Mrs. Wm Allen, aged 84 years; Henry Dibbon, of John, aged 50 years.
Captain Whelan and crew of the S. S. Daisy rendered all the assistance humanly possible locating drifting dwellings and searching for people. We towed one house to Burin. On Tuesday in a southeasterly storm we salved four schooners at Port au Bras; others on the bottom to be attended to when weather permits. Yesterday- Wednesday - we went to Lamaline to investigate, but could not land. We returned to St. Lawrence this morning and met the same result, but landed at Point au Gaul and got report over the telephone, which I herewith append:--
Lamaline:- One man, Thomas Lockyer, Allanís Island, died of injured received . All stages with their contents swept away. One dwelling house moved about 50 feet.

Point au Gaul:- All fishing property, stages and stores, with 5 cod traps and the peoples provisions, and coal, about 100 tons: also 3 dwellings houses with 8 lives, viz: T. J. Hipditch, married; Thomas Hipditch, age 5 years; H. P. Hipditch, aged 3 years; E. H. Hipditch, aged 8 months; T. Hillier, married, (Oil Inspector); Irene Hillier, age not ascertained; Mrs. Eliza Walsh, Miss M. A. Walsh, spinster.

Taylorís Bay:- 15 families homeless. All fishing property, stages and stores with all the peopleís provisions and winter coals swept away and five lives lost viz: Mrs. Robert Bonnell and child. Bartholomew BonnelL and two children

Lordís Cove:- All fishing property with provisions and coal gone and four lives lost, viz: Mrs. Patrick Rennie and 3 children.

Lawn:- All fishing property with most of the boats and dories , provisions and coal gone. No lives lost.

St Lawrence:- No lives lost, but all stages, flakes, stores and their contents of fish, fishing gear, provisions and coal, leaving nothing but dazed people and a scene of desolation. The loss is up in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and all the people are absolutely destitute. I have personally investigated conditions and am convinced that if relief is not forthcoming quickly, consequence will be serious.
I am, sir,
Your obedient servant.
(Sgd) J. H. DEE
Inspector of Revenue Service.

The minister of marine and fisheries wired the prime Minister yesterday evening from Burin as follows:---
Arrived Burin three thirty p.m. Great destruction property everywhere. Many stores and houses floating in water. Great destruction reported by Magistrate everywhere. Several reports of injury at Burin. Dealing with the situation . Will keep you advise.


(To Deputy Minister Customs)
Grand Bank, Nov. 19- Earthquake shock felt here about 5 oíclock last evening followed later by sort of tidal wave sweeping two small vessels from moorings breaking bowspirts against concrete bridge. No other damage.

Burin, Nov. 22.- (Special to Editor Daily News)- Terrible loss of property, practically all waterfront properties destroyed from Roch Harbor to Lamaline. No estimate yet made of loss. Understand others have wired you.- T. V. HOLLETT


Scenes of Desolation Greet Eyes of Relief Party-Destitution Everywhere. Houses and Stores
Floating on Water or Stranded on Beaches


In a message to the Colonial Secretary, Hon. Dr. MOSDELLstated that the S. S. Meigle arrived at Burin at 3.30 yesterday afternoon. He reported the shores of Burin beach strewed with wreckage of all sorts. Houses and stores floating in waters of the harbor and dotted along the beach partially or wholly submerged. Stages and wharves swept away in almost every Cove and Harbor. Destitution general wherever tidal wave did its work of destruction. Food, fuel and clothing badly needed. Stores of food on ship sufficient to present requirements. Medical and nursing staff on the ship were busy attending number of cases of severe injury and of shock consequent on sudden and tragic nature of disaster. With others he was busy organizing relief and investigation committees in every place.

Magistrate HOLLETT Makes Urgent Appeal for Prompt Relief.

Will Form Committee of Citizens in Day or Two Food Clothing and Coal


From Magistrate HOLLETT to the (Prime Minister)
Burin , November 20th, 1929

Sir- I have done my best to get in touch with you relative to get great tidal wave, which swept our coast from Point may to Rock Harbor. Information just hand states that 13 lives were lost at Lamaline and 6 at Lordís Cove. No doubt but that property damage west of here has been great. Nearly all waterside premises at Great Burin, Stepaside, Kellyís Cove, Kirbyís Cove, Ship cove, Burin, North, Path Ebd, Bullís Cove, Port au Bras and Mortier was taken down and mostly destroyed. Three dwellings houses at Kellyís Cove were swept away in one of which was Mrs. Vincent Kelly and her daughter, whose bodies have not been recovered. Manuel Inkpenís dwelling house on Stepaside was swept away. Mr. Inkpen and his wife escaped by merest chance.
At Port au Bras 11 dwellings houses were swept clean away. seven people lost their lives here, Mrs. Thomas FUDGE and her three daughters, Mrs. Samuel BENNETT and her brother Henry DIBBON and Mrs. William ALLEN aged 84. The bodies of Mrs. ALLEN, Mrs. FUDGE and her daughter Harriet Mary (10) and Mrs. Samuel BENNETT were recovered. to-day.
Port au Bras was swept clean of all fishery premises and boats and schooners. Fourteen boats were lost or badly damaged. Al is desolation in Port au bras. L Cheesemanís premises went clean away-with 300 quintals fish . About 500 quintals fish were lost there altogether. All the people had their winterís provisions , fuel , traps and gear of every description in their stores. Everything is gone. I visited them to-day. There is great distress. There are not 5 barrels flour in the place and no coal.
At Mortier too much damage was done. At Lance LíEau William MOULTONís house was washed away and Mr. MOULTON and his family hardly escaped with their lives.
It was at 5.05 p.m. 18th when the earth tremors started and lasted but one minute and a half minutes. The buildings were shaken to their foundations and the earth trembled. Everybody was more or less terrified.. At 7.35 the tidal wave struck us. It was terrific and swept everything before it. at first the harbors and coves went almost dry almost instantaneously and then the wave came in with a roaring sound. There were two or three waves but the first came the highest. To give you an idea of its force, G. BARTLETTís shop was washed 100 yards up into the meadow.
Every bridge is washed away. The water went 5 to 8 inches up on the government Store. It is impossible as yet to estimate the property damage in Burin and vicinity.
The S. S. Daisy which was lying at the government wharf had been rendering every assistance since the affair happened. All Monday night they were searching among the houses which went out to sea, for missing people. All day yesterday in a raging south east gale and heavy sea she was doing the impossible with regard to salving boats and schooners. The officers and crew deserve the greatest credit for the work they have done. Nearly every boat afloat of course was out of commission. I asked the Captain of the Daisy to go to St. Lawrence and Lamaline today and expect her here to-night. I fear there is great destruction between here and Lamaline. At present all communication is cut off but the operator Mr. COX is making every effort to establish communication with outlying settlements and with St. Johnís.
I shall endeavor to get some data with regard to the losses with regard to the distress It is imperative that something be done at once to relieve the immediate wants of the many people. I shall form a Committee of some of the citizens hero in a day or so. In the meantime I shall have to get food, clothing and coal to many families.
I hope to send this to you by the ďDaisyĒ to Argentia.
I have the honor to be
Your obedient servant,



Burin, Nov. 22, - Called at Lamaline , Point au Gaul, Lordís Cove, Lawn and St. Lawrence today. Terrible destruction of property at these places also at lance au Barque and Taylorís Bay. One life lost at Lamaline, eight , Point au Gaul, five Taylorís bay, and four Lordís Cove. Most all bodies recovered. All fishing premises here and floating property completely destroyed. People at Point au Gaul, Lordís Cove, destitute. Also at Taylorís Bay. At Corbin, OíReilly and Coady lost all including homes. James HEARN, at Lordís Cove, lost 1,000 quintals of fish and all property and McL HARNETT 600 qtls. of fish and all property including his home. Giovaniniís stores containing 1,600 quintals of fish sank in harbor at St. Lawrence. All waterfront property gone here. Lawn also suffered terribly . Most of the people lost all their supplies. The southeast places all need relief quickly as possible as all supplies held by merchants are gone. Burin, Port au bras and rock harbor also suffered. Eight lives were loss at Burin and Port au Bras, and all waterfront property and several homes swept away.

Messages of Sympathy Re Quake Disaster

New York, Nov 22 1929

Rt. Rev. MacDERMOTT,
St. Johnís.Nfld.
Read in to-days paper New York of Burin Peninsula disaster have wired sympathy to Pastors and people . If subscription list opened kindly advise and I shall be glad to forward subscription. Please give publicity to my deep sympathy with all sufferers.

Ottawa, Ontario.

Monsignor Roche,
Archbishop of St. Johnís Nfld.

Tidal wave which ravaged several districts of Newfoundland after Monday earthquake made on my heart very deep impression. Please accept the sentiments of my sincere sympathy with the Apostolic Blessings for you and the people of the Island.

Apostolic Delegate.

This message of His excellency the Apostolic delegate has been repeated to His Grace, the Archbishop.

November 22nd, 1929
Magistrate HOLLETT,
Will you please convey to those who are sufferers through the catastrophe that has just befallen Burin and its vicinity, the heartfelt sympathy of myself and those associated with me.
You may rely upon the practical sympathy and assistance of all classes in the alleviation of the sorrow and loss so many are now going through



St. Johnís.
On behalf of whole people from Rock Harbor to Lamaline I thank you for you kind message of sympathy. Twenty-seven lives have been lost so far and all is desolation along the waterfront.

November 22, 1929
C. C. Pittman Esq.
Though you I desire to assure all the people of those who are sufferers through the catastrophe that visit Lamaline and vicinity Monday evening last of the deep sympathy of myself and of my associates.
The hearts of the whole country goes out to those who are now in bereavement and affliction and you may be assured of a ready sympathy and response of their needs.



Grand bank, November 19, 1929

Deputy Minister Customs,
St. Johnís

Earthquake shock felt here about 5 oíclock last evening followed later by sort of tidal wave sweeping two small vessels from mooring breaking bowsprits against concrete bridge. No other damage.


S.S. Home sails at noon today for regular ports on the Fogo route to Change Islands

NOVEMBER 24 1929


Loss of Homes makes Congestion Difficult Problem In Stricken Area Some Families
Being Moved to Help situation-Survivors Dazed by Terrible Experience.

Many Tales of Heroism and Uncomplaining Patience

(To Colonial Secretary from Dr. H. M. MOSDELL)

S.S. Meigle. Lawn, Nov. 23- Members of the relief expedition to sufferers from the disastrous effects of the earthquake shock and tidal wave on the South West coast spent a busy evening at Burin. While the return of the revenue cutter Daisy from Argentia was awaited local committees were organized to take care of distribution of food supplies, of fuel and of housing conditions.


Arrangements were made for an extent census of the tremendous property damage done between Rock Harbor and Corbin. The Daisy reached Burin at nine oíclock, and was instructed to proceed in the bay with supplies for sufferers from the disaster. After discharging this mission she was to assist the fishermen in salving as much of their property as possible, especially the boats that were stranded by the tidal wave. Evidence of the great effects of the disaster are strewn along the rocks and strand on every hand. The task of relief is an immense one viewed from any and every angle. The relief ship Meigle left Burin at four O'clock this morning en route to the scene of the greatest disaster at Point aux Gaul and at Taylorís Bay. It was hoped to reach the former place at dawn, but the expedition ran into a blizzard shortly after leaving Burin and the ship had to steam slowly through thick weather and heavy seas reaching Point aux Gaul at eight thirty. Conditions found at Point aux Gaul and Taylorís Bay were indescribable. A scene of destruction and desolation lay on every hand . Water fronts were stripped of all sorts of property. Boats, stores, houses and stages gone with stores of food, fuel and fishing equipment.


At the former place almost one hundred buildings were utterly destroyed and thirty-five motor boats out of thirty-eight formerly operated by the fishermen of the place. At Taylorís Bay eleven dwellings were destroyed leaving only five in the place. Into the remaining buildings have had to crowed all the surviving population, resulting in a fearful and dangerous congestion of houses. Eighteen and twenty persons crowded into a single small dwelling. Arrangements made to make three families away from the settlement and send to relatives and friends elsewhere. Damaged houses will also be repaired, and overcrowding still further relieved in this manner. Local committees organized to take care of the situation on the section between Lordís Cove and High Beach, Lamaline. 


Stock of food and supplies of material for repairing houses landed at Point aux Gaul for distribution throughout this area. Shortage of fuel forced the expedition to take charge of supplies of coal in this section and arrange for schooners to proceed at once to North Sydney for a further quantity of fuel. Medical members of expedition have been kept busy visiting and treating all cases of injury in the stricken area and have afforded relief to a large number of persons. Many suffering from bruises and contusions, dislocations and shock and the general effects of their extremely trying exposure. S. S. Meigle is now at Lawn when she will harbor for tonight, proceeding to Lordís Cove and Lamaline to-morrow to resume relief operations. Two representative committees so far organized, one for Burin area under the chairmanship of Magistrate HOLLETT and the other for the Lamaline section under C. C. PITTMAN, J. P. 

From Minister Marine and Fisheries

Prime Minister

Burin, Nov. 23-Have landed sufficient provisions to take care of immediate situation at Burin and have competent committee formed to handle the situation in charge of Magistrate Hollett. Leaving for Point aux Gaul and Taylorís Bay during the night as this most destitute area. Very little medical needs.
(Sgd. H. B. C. LAKE.)

From Magistrate Hollett to Prime Minister.

Burin, Nov. 23.-On behalf of our people I thank you for what had been done. Provisions landed from Meigle being distributed amongst destitute. Doctors have attended all cases shock and injury from Rock Harbor to Corbin. Meigle left 4 a.m. for west where destitution greatest. Bodies of Mrs. Bennett, Mrs. Fudge, Mrs. Allen and Harriett Fudge of Port au Bras recovered. Daisy endeavoring to salve boats. 160 tons coal ready for distribution by committee here and clothing being supplied where absolutely essential. Details re value lost property being collected.

(Minister marine and Fisheries to Prime Minister)
ďMeigleĒ, Lawn, November 23- Visited point aux Gaul and Taylorís Bay today, remaining at Lawn tonight. Conditions at both the above settlements are appalling, with not a vestige of waterside property left. Had to land provisions in the steamerís boat. Men, women and children are bewildered from the shock with little desire to start work, as their lifetime earnings have gone. Provisions have been handle and a committee formed to handle the situation. At Point aux Gaul one body has not been yet recovered. At Taylorís bay only five houses are habitable out of seventeen formerly occupied. Had to take women and five children aboard the ďMeigleĒ and will house them at Fortune. There are still three bodies at Taylorís Bay not recovered. This is the worst place on the whole coast and the tidal wave was between eighty to a hundred feet high, which carried everything in its way. Houses were shifted in every direction and some completely destroyed. Visiting Lordís Cove to-morrow. Am ordering 10,000 feet of lumber for shipment to Taylorís Bay immediately . Dr. MOSDELLis wiring Dr. BARNES more detailed particular.-H. B. C. Lake.

(Minister Marine and Fisheries to Prime Minister)

Lordís Cove, Nov. 24-Spent last night at Lawn. Conditions there are very bad; heavy loss of property but no lives and no accidents. Arrived at Lordís Cove at daylight. Conditions here are deplorable; heavy loss of property and four lives lost. All bodies recovered. Much destruction everywhere. Now landing supplies. Houses here washed hundreds of yards inland and many swept to sea. Visiting Lamaline later to-day and due St. Lawrence to-night, where I understand property loss is heaviest, but no loss of life. H. B. C. LAKE.

Mr. Winter Leaving For Port au Bras

From Mr. J. A. WINTER, M .H. A ., to Mr. ALDERDICE.

Burin, November 23-S. S. Meigle with Government ministers has proceeded to Lamaline. Am staying here at present. Committee formed and met this morning and dealt with urgent matters. Am just leaving for Port au Bras where loss of life and property heaviest. Nothing new since Lakeís report of yesterday.
(Sgd) J. A. WINTER.


Moderator And Secretary of United Church of Canada Cable From Toronto

(To Rev. J. G. Joyce, Secretary United Church Conference St. Johnís)

Toronto, Ont., Nov. 23-Please convey to Burin people the deepest sympathy of the whole United Church with sufferers through earthquake calamity, and assure them our united prayer for divine upholding.

W. T. GUNN, Moderator,
T. Albert MOORE, Secretary,
United Church of Canada.

Nonia Will Welcome Clothing and Blankets


As President of the Newfoundland Outport Nursing and Industrial Association I desire to make it known to those, who are willing to assist, that arrangements have been made for receiving at the NONIA Depot in Water Street articles of warm clothing and blankets which are urgently required for distribution to those who have suffered from the recent destructive inundation in Burin and other districts on the South Coast.


Mrs. WINTER Sending Shipment Wednesday

Wife of Representative of Burin West Invites Contribution of Blankets and Clothing.

Editor Daily News.
Dear Sir.- The message received from my husband, Mr. J A. WINTER, member of Burin East, about the terrible tragedy last week in both Burin East and Burin West, make it clear that, apart from the general help which will be given from public subscription and Government assistance in the near future, there is a demand for bedding and warm cloths of all kinds to be sent and distributed at once. I am sure that the people of the stricken area will be deeply grateful for any help of this kind that can be given immediately. I am therefore arranging for the dispatch of a quality of bedding and clothing of all kinds by steamer leaving on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. Any person who has blankets or cloths of any size or kind which they would wish to contribute will be doing a kindness. If they telephone either to me at 586 or to my husbandís office, 300, and I will make arrangements to call for them and to see to their distribution amongst those cases those claims are most urgent.
The main matter to bear in mind is the necessity for speedy relief of this kind. 
Yours faithfully,
Evangeline WINTER, 

Address: Mrs. J. A. WINTER
Winter Avenue.

Resolution of Sympathy

Resolution From Leeming Lodge, No. 1282, L.O.A.

At a meeting of Leeming Lodge, No. 1282, held at Victoria Hall, St. Johnís, on Tuesday, November 21st, the following resolution was adopted and requested to be published in the newspaper published in St. Johnís.
Whereas heavy damages and great loss of life have been experienced on the South West Coast of Newfoundland as a result of the recent earthquake followed by a very destructive tidal wave, and whereas great suffering and distribution have been brought to a large number on the said South-west coast.
Be it resolved that this Lodge places itself on record as expressing its very deepest sympathy with those who have suffered, particularly in the loss of relatives and friends, and be it further resolved that a copy of this resolution be published in the following newspapers, Daily News, and Telegram.

Recording Secretary

Extends Sympathy for Distress Folk

The Daily New: 
Dear Sirs:- The following message has been received from commissioner James HAY, Territorial Commander of The Salvation Army in Canada and Newfoundland:- 
ďDistressed over sad loss of life in earthquake and tidal wave. Extend deepest sympathy families and districts affectedĒ. The Salvation Army places itself at the disposal of Government for relief measures.
Yours sincerely,
Major, General Secty.

Tim SHANNAHAN Tenders Sympathy

When the tremor of the earthquake has subsided , we at Tuckerís sat comparing notes, in a humorous way, little thinking at the time that a terrible tidal wave was causing appalling disaster to lives and property at Burin, and neighboring settlements in its wake.
We tender to the stricken people our sincere sympathy, and enclose five dollars as a subscription to the relief fund.

For Relief Fund

From Mr. J. B. ORR, New York, to Hon. G. A. BARTLETT

New York, November 23-Extremely sorry to hear of your great loss and terrible suffering of so many. Anything my firm can do for you will be pleasure. Present this wire to my office and they will give you one hundred dollars on my personal account for your relief fund.-John B. ORR.

NOVEMBER 26, 1929

Tidal Wave and Shock Strong at Salmonier

Haricot Bridge Washed away-Lumber scow and Log Boom Smashed- Mill 
Building towed From Colinet Broken to pieces.


Mr. R. A. CRANFORD who operates a mill at Salmonier, and was in town yesterday , describes the effect of the earthquake and subsequent tidal wave at that settlement. Mr. CRANDORD had just returned to his store in his motor car as the shock began, and it was sufficient to make the whole place tremble so much that people in the store were barely able to keep to their feet. A domestic in his house who was kneeling on a chair looking out the window was thrown backward with the shock. Most people in the settlement took the rumbling to be that of fire, and nearly everyone sought their roofs or ran upstairs. Just before the tidal wave came he was standing on his verandah and notice the water of the bay seething, and while he looked it rose over the wharf. He rushed to his store to move some sugar and other perishables off the floor, but before one barrel of sugar was hoisted out of the way the water was over the floor flooding it to a depth of eight inches, through if receded as rapidly as it had come.
The river went almost dry, and as the bore came in again with what he described as a six foot solid of water, it carried a scow load of cooperage stuff that he had a mile below Hurleyís bridge , spilling its contents into the tide. Booms in which he had about 1200 logs smashed like matches and the logs were lost The water rode up around Mr. Andrew MURRAYís bungalow and washed lumber up on the flats.
That day Mark GOSS and sons, of Spaniardís Bay , had towed a sawmill building over from Colinet. The wave smashed this to pieces and only some fragments of it were recovered.
A raft of lumber which Mr. CRANFORD had ready was broken to pieces and only about a thousand of the 21,000 feet which it was supposed to have contained was salved. A steel shaft with pulleys lying near the mill was thrown back a distance of fifteen feet.
A man named GRACE who had a store near the water for the past fifty years , after the wave picked it up nearly out to Little Colinet Island with two dories still attached to it.
Haricot bridge was rolled over by the wave three or four times, up near BYRNES house, and was washed out to sea and has not been seen since. The abutments were torn away with the flood.
Mr. CRANFORD had wired his principals in St. Johnís of the occurrence, but in the excitement they had forgotten the matter.


Fled To higher Ground, Many Sought Refuge Around Church: Sick Carried To Places
Of Safety.


St. Lawrence, Nov. 20-On Monday evening, November 18th, St. Lawrence was the scene of a dreadful disaster, occasioned by a tidal wave, which almost entirely destroyed the settlement and wrought much havoc along this section of the South West Coast.
At 4.45 a dreadful rumbling noise was heard, accompanied by a violent trembling of the earth which shook each dwelling to its foundation and lasted about five minutes, to the terror of everyone.
The people became panic-stricken and many forsook their homes, the excitement was intense, and when about two hours later, a terrific roaring of the sea was heard, fear struck the hearts of all. A few minutes after a tremendous wall of water burst into the harbor and swept with irresistible force upon the land, tearing down everything in its way as it rushed along.
The din of roaring waters of shouting people and the breaking up of buildings was terrifying. Many houses were carried bodily inland for a considerable distance, and some of the deposited when the force of the huge wave was broken into splinters. Then with a mighty roar the water receded carrying with them, boats, fishing stages, stores and dwellings. Again and again the dreadful wave rushed in upon the land each one more destructive that the last.
The frightened people fled in a panic to the higher ground. Many sought refuge around the church. The Presbytery and convent were crowed with people, as these buildings were high above the waves. It was a pitiful sight to see people carrying their sick to a place of safety, or surrounded by crying children., and shrieking with dismay, when some loved one was missing, fearing he had been engulfed by the terrible sea, darkness adding to this awful confusion. By ten oíclock the destruction was complete, and the waves settled down to a steady but by no means normal condition. Yet people feared to returned to their homes , many spending the night in neighborsís houses, in barns and other places of shelter but none dared to sleep.
Next morning sad beyond description was the sight which greeted the wretched people, all their fishing premises, stages, stores, boats, nets, and other gear, as well as the barns of hay, and even their cattle swept away by the pitiless sea, or strewn in fragments upon the shore. Houses, fishing stores, and wreckage of kinds floating upon the still swollen and raging sea. In a blinding storm of wind, sleet and snow, men and boys were trying at the risk of their lives, to rescue some planks or sticks the only remnants of their little property, which represented their all and was the result of their lifelong labors and thrift. All the fishing premises large and small with the exception of two stores were destroyed, many of them filled with fish. All the boats and fishing gear were carried off or thrown in a shapeless mass of wreckage upon the shore. Added to this the provisions for the winter, flour, molasses, meat etc., which were in their stores were also carried off, several homes were destroyed and the people are reduced to a very pitiable condition. As the fishery this year was a poor one only the barest necessaries of life were procurable, and now all is lost.
All that terrible night our indefatigable and ever-resourceful Pastor Very Rev. Father THRONE, went amongst the people, calming the panic-stricken, encouraging the terrified and helping those in distress. Next day he busied himself inspiring hope into the depressed people. In the evening he called them together and in a long address he encouraged them to begin the work of reconstruction by saving the wreckage floating on the harbor, pointing out ways and means by which it could be more successfully accomplished and did all he could to relieve the terrible situation. The erection of the telegraph poles and wires, which were swept away was done under his personal supervision. When communication was established with the neighboring settlements it was learned that Lawn and other places had suffered equally and at Point aux Gaul, Port au Bras, and Lordís Cove several people were drowned. The fact that no lives were lost here and with the exception of a few bad hurts, no one was seriously injured, is a great cause for thankfulness and a source of resignation to the poor people in their awful affliction.
The estimated cost of damage and loss is in the vicinity of $150,000.

NOVEMBER 27, 1929

South coast Disaster Fund Committee Begin Work 

Deputation Named to Collaborate With Prime Minister to Prevent Overlapping-
Outports will be Appealed to


The committee appointed by the public meeting held at the Pittís Memorial Hall on the previous night to undertake the work of raising funds to afford relief to the sufferers in the recent tidal wave disaster, met at the Board of Trade rooms yesterday afternoon and immediately began to organized. There was nearly one hundred per cent attendance.


Mr. R. F. HORWOOD, president of the Board of Trade, was appointed temporary chairman and Mr. J. G. HIGGINS, secretary. Following some questions it was decided that the organization should have a distinctive name and that of the South Coast Disaster Fund Committee was decided upon. The election of permanent officers followed and resulted in the unanimous selection of Mr. R. F. HORWOOD as chairman, Mr. L C. OUTERBRIDGE, vice-chairman, Mrs. A Milligan, Hon treasurer, and Mr. J. G. HIGGINS, Hon. secretary. These with the chairman of the various sub-committees which are to be appointed will form the executive.
A nominating committee consisting of the above officers and Messrs. C. E. HUNT, C. C. DULEY, and J. S. CURRIE was appointed to determine the number of sub-committees that would be needed, nominate convenors for name, define the scope and duties of each, and report back to-day.


In order that there should be no delay in getting in touch with the outports and seeking their assistance, arrangements were made to wire immediately to all Magistrates and Justices of the Peace asking them to arrange for the formation of committees to solicit funds at all places in their jurisdictions. Franking privileges for the purposes of the committee were at one sough and obtained from the Prime Minister.
A deputation consisting of the chairman, vice-chairmen and Hon. Frank McNamara, was appointed to wait on the Prime Minister this morning to seek the Government co-operation. This was believed to be necessary in order that all efforts should be co-ordinated and overlapping avoided.


A communication was received from Mr. H. J. RUSSELL, manager of the Railway, intimating that the Railway Commission had directed that all shipments to the affected areas via mail or steamer would be carried free of cost.
Offers of help were received from several sources and these will be availed of. Several donations were also handed into the treasurer and these will be acknowledged through the newspapers in due course . Following a general discussion as to the work of the various sub-committees which were to be appointed, adjournment was taken so that the nominating committee could get to work but not before the Hon. G. A. BARTLETT, of Burin, who was present during the proceedings expressed his appreciation and thanks to the committee for the energetic way in which they were undertaking their work. He would take back to the people of Burin the assurance that every effort would be made to bring them the relief they needed. The chairman thanked Mr. BARTLETT for his kind words and assured him of the committeeís sympathy and support.


Another meeting of the general committee will be held at 4 oíclock this afternoon when the report of the nominating committee will be received and further work of organization be completed.


Logs and Lumber of Thomas SMITH Swept Away

It is singular that although the tidal wave struck Rock Harbor immediately north of Marystown, on Monday of last week it missed Flat Islands and struck Bay De LíEau. Bay de LíEau is north of flat Islands and just west of Cape Roger. Thomas SMITH of Boat Harbor who operates a saw mill at Bay de LíEau lost in the tidal wave a number of logs in his boom, and all the lumber he had sawed. His sawmill was also badly wrecked.


J. A WINTER, M .H.A., describes Pathetic Scenes of Destruction Wrought by tidal wave-
Port au Bras Literally Swept Clean. 

Pays tribute to work of Magistrate HOLLETT and Committee

Mr. J. A. WINTER who represents Burin East, and who left in the Meigle last Wednesday to visit his constituency saw for himself the destruction which the tidal wave had wrought and do what he could to help deal with the problem with which the people were confronted, returned to town, via Placentia, yesterday afternoon. Last evening the News interviewed Mr. WINTER and obtained from him the following interesting story of his visit, which , of course was confined to Burin and environs and did not included the sections further west where the greater loss of life occurred.
The S. S. Meigle which left St. Johnís on Thursday, the 21st 1929 at 9.30 p.m. with the relief committee of the government, doctors and nurses arrived at Burin on the 22nd at 3.30 p.m. long before the coast was reached wreckage was met, mute evidence of the disaster which had befallen the coast. As we steamed on through the entrance to Burin Harbor here and there could be seen floating, or thrown up on the land wash, stages, and stores which had been carried out of the coves and from which the owners were endeavoring to salve any little that remained of their contants. As we approached the government wharf at Burin we were able to glean some small idea of the destruction. On all sides buildings were down, stores afloat or so twisted as to be useless. A house could be seen floating in the middle of Ship Cove where it had been towed by the ďDaisyĒ and anchored. This had been swept to sea with all its occupants and swept back again long enough to permit the occupants, a woman and her children, to be heroically rescued through the windows by a man and woman who had witnessed their plight. Whenever one turned as we approached the scene was the same Great Burin, Shalloway, Stepaside, Kellyís Cove, Pardyís Island, Kirbyís cove, Collins Cove and Ship Cove all in a greater or lesser degree shared the same fate, details of which have already been published.


On arrival at the government wharf magistrate HOLLETT immediately boarded the ďMeigleĒ and at once steps were taken to deal with that aspect of the situation which necessitated immediate action. A committee was formed under the chairmanship of the magistrate to deal with the distress which extended from Rock Harbor to Corbin, and while sufficient foodstuffs were being landed to take care of immediate needs arrangements were made to make a complete survey of this area, the individual losses and pressing requirements while doctors and nurses were despatched to deal with the steps requiring immediate attention. Fortunately no serious cases were reported, the majority being found to be suffering from bruises and shock.


Shortly after we docked the ďArgyleĒ arrived bound east, and it was very soon on her way again with provisions for Rock Harbor which suffered severely. Mr. CHARLES rose was also sent to obtain a complete inventory of the individual losses and the cases requiring immediate relief. A little later the ďMeigleĒ and party proceeded to Point aux Gaul where it was understood the destitution was greatest.

Distribute Food, Fuel and Clothing

Next morning the committee met and in a very short time arrangements were made for the distribution of food and clothing and coals to the sufferers. It is impossible to speak too highly of the indefatigable work of Magistrate HOLLETT; also of Mr. C CHEESEMAN and Capt. Wm. FOOTE, were themselves very heavy losers , and who thought of self cheerfully about the task of relieving others.

Waterside Literally Swept Clean

In the afternoon of Saturday, accompanied by Rev. Mr. HISCOCK, and a supply of food etc., I visited Port au Bras. All along the shore on the way there visible piles of wreckage, while in Port au Bras itself the scene on arrival will never be forgotten. From end to end the waterside was literally swept clean; not a single erection of any sort was left intact. The settlement is situates on the shore of a semi-circular basin at the head of a long beach. No less than eleven dwellings houses were completely destroyed, one of which was carried out of the harbor with four occupants, Jessie FUDGE and her three daughters, all of whom perished, and drove ashore later that night at Path End , some three miles distant, not a single store, stage or wharf was left standing, provisions and fuel were washed away and all boats, skiffs and dories destroyed.


Huge boulders were driven inland and so great was the force of the wave that it completely carried away a large section of the point of the beach which formed a shelter of boats, leaving an island in the centre and rendering the harbor almost useless as a shelter for shipping.
It is quite impossible to give any adequate idea of the extent of the destruction, which must be seen to be appreciated.
Everywhere men were engaged endeavoring to salve wreckage. Traps were torn to shreds and floating in all directions. Splendid work was done by the ďDaisyĒ in the way of salving vessels.


As yet the people do not seem able to realize their losses and are dazed and stunned, though some are already busily engaged reconstructing what little they have succeeded in salving. No less than60 families have suffered in Port au Bras alone where the total loss is estimated at $85,000.00. Rock Harbor was similarly swept and the loss there will probably reach $30,000.00.
At Shalloway, Rock Harbor, Jean de Bay and Corbin bridges have been demolished, thereby cutting off whole sections of the settlements. This is a matter which will have to be attended to at once.


On Sunday we were able to listen in to the service and news which were broadcast from St. Thomasí and Wesley Church and I was fortunately able to get and post up the message which Dr. MOSDELL had sent the Prime Minister the previous night, giving the news from the western extremity of the devastated area.
Monday at 4 p.m. the lines were down again and it was impossible to get St. Johnís. The meeting broadcasted in the evening was heard between the attempts of the ďDaisyísĒ wireless operator to call the ďMeigleĒ which was harbored at Lawn. 
Complete statistics of losses from Corbin to Rock Harbor have been compiled by the committee at Burin and are now in the hands of the Government
The people deeply appreciate the efforts which are being made on their behalf by the committee and others in St. Johnís and elsewhere, and the government deserves praise for the prompt manner in which the unusual situation was handled.

Relief Ship Meigle Completes Work of Aid

Further Reports Show Scenes of Destruction Everywhere-All Medical cases Attended To and Temporary Relief Given Through Committee Under Magistrate HOLLETT

Nonia Nurse Proves Heroine of the Moment

(To Colonial Secretary from Hon. Dr. MOSDELL)

Argentia, Nov.25-(On board the relief ship Meigle, Placentia Bay)- The relief expedition sent to the Southwest Coast on the steamer Meigle is now en route to St. Johnís via Argentia. All the members have been busy every day from early morning until late at night in an effort to avoid the slightest unnecessary delay in reaching the scenes of suffering and privation caused by the tidal wave disaster. One whole day was lost at Lawn through a raging storm and blizzard, but by that time, the outstanding instances of need had been discovered, and dealt with, wherever the expedition has called the utmost gratitude has been expressed over the promptness with which the government responded to the call for assistance from the stricken section. The supplies so speedily rushed on board before the Meigle left St. Johnís have been ample for immediate and temporally relief of the sufferers. Since reaching the coast special arrangements have been made for providing supplies of fuel, and orders have gone forward for lumber and other material for repairing houses at places like Taylorís Bay and Port au Gaul. This should come forward by the Argyle within the next couple of days so that the speediest possible provision has been made to relive and avert privation on the part of the survivors of the catastrophe.

Magistrate Hollett Very Active

On oUr return to burin we found that the local committee had made prompt and careful disposition of the relief supplies landed her on our way west. Under the self-devoted leadership of Magistrate HOLLETT they have carefully surveyed the devastated area and have submitted an estimate of total damages with individual losses in each place between Rock Harbor and Corbin. The survey of St. Lawrence has also been completed along the same lines. Property damages in this section total at least half a million dollars. The survey of the section from Lawn to Lamaline has now been completed, but we fear the financial losses will be equality great. The loss of life through the tidal wave totals twenty-seven. Twenty-five deaths were due directly to the upheaval. Two others deaths occurred subsequently and were due to shock and exposure.


The toll of deaths at the various places are as follows:- 

Port Au Bras:- Jessie FUDGE and her three daughters, Gertie, Harriet and Hannah, Mary BENNETT, Henry DIBBON, and Mrs. William ALLAN, seven in all.

Kellyís Cove:- Mrs. Vincent KELLY and her daughter, Dorothy, two in all.

Patrickís Cove:- Mrs. Patrick RENNIE and her three children, four in all.

Taylorís Bay:- Mrs. Robert BONNELL and children, two children of Bartholomew BONNELL and infant child of George PIERCEY, five in all. 

Point au Gaul:- Mrs. Henry Hillier and the three children of David HIPDITCH, namely Thomas, R. H. and H. P. Thomas HILLIER , one of the Government oil inspectors, Irene HILLIER, Mrs. Eliza WALSH and Miss Mary Ann WALSH.

Allanís Island, Lamaline ; James LOCKYER..


Fifty cases of sick and injured have been under treatment by our medical staff and have been left ample supplies of drugs with which to carry on the treatment prescribed for them by our doctors. General control of the expedition was delegated by the government to Hon. Dr. CAMPBELL, H.B. C. LAKE, Minister of Marine and Fisheries, Mr. F. T. FUDGE, M.H. A. and Hon. Dr. MOSDELL, chairman of the Board of Health. Immediate direction of operation at the scene of disaster was placed by members of the expedition in the hands of Mr. Lake, whose own district was hard hit and who had an intimate knowledge of the districts of Burin East and Burin West. Dr. L. PATTERSON volunteered for service with the expedition and was places in charge of the operations of the professional staff which consisted of Dr. C. F. BLACKER and Dr. J. B. MURPHY, with Nurses JACKMAN, HAMPTON, RENDELL and FITZGERALD. Mr J. A. WINTER M. H. A. for Burin East also accompanied the expedition.-(Sgd) H. M. MOSDELL

(To Colonial Secretary)

Lawn, November 25:-At every place visited by the relief ship Meigle the residents emphasize the sudden and fearful nature of the catastrophe that overtook them through the medium of the earthquake shock and tidal wave. Earth tremors were very severe at all places and were succeeded by extremely low tide after which about an hour later the tidal wave swept in and left a track of death and destruction. Judging from scenes we have witnessed and examinations we have the tidal wave must have been close to one hundred feet high when it struck the shore. effects displayed were most erratic. Whole families had an almost miraculous escape from inundated dwellings. One or two members of other families were swept away and others spared. Schooners that passed by the devastated sections of the shore at a time identical with the occurrence of the catastrophe and state the noise of its onset could be hears at sea report there wasnít the slightest disturbance of the sea over which they were passing. Other schooners in the same neighborhood at the same time got their first evidence of disaster from large quantities of floating wreckage drifting off from the shore. Eye witnesses of the disaster state that the earth tremors were accompanied by a noise like that caused by a squadron of airplanes in flight overhead. At Point au Gaul the tidal wave was described as having a rotary motion rolling on the shore in a mass foam while at Taylorís Bay eye witnesses describe it as rising so high that it blotted out the stars. At the latter place the force of the wave must have been extraordinarily terrific. Dwelling houses were reduced to a condition reminiscent of wartime description of the effects of heavy shell fire. Former sites of gardens and meadows now thickly strewn with boulders, some of them as large as casks thrown upon the shore by the devastating force of the tidal wave. Motor boats, stages and wharfs piers lifted bodily and thrown far inland in heaps of ruins. Lordís Cove and Lamaline visited by the relief expedition yesterday here dozen of houses, stores and stages were found thrown bodily into the pont at the head of the harbors, huddled together in one heap of destruction. Some lay upright but half submerged while others lay on their sides, and still others were entirely overturned. At Lordís Cove a very small dwelling was seen right in the middle of the pond hundreds of years from its original site. In this tiny house a mother and her three children were caught upstairs by the rising water and were drowned. Upstairs a small baby lay in bed and was taken out entirely unharmed . The house of death now stands half submerged in water isolated and desolate its windows broken and its frayed white blinds flittering in the breeze like a flag of distress.
For the last four days the weather has been extremely cold, the winds high and piercing and snow has blanketed the ground everywhere. The survivors of the disaster, insufficiently clad and without bed clothing have suffered in misery in overcrowded houses which were badly shattered by the hammer blow of the tidal wave or by huge boulders which the current hurled about like projectiles from great guns.
As a result of all this exposure and the shock occasioned the survivors, by the ordeal through which they have passed, a large number of people are seriously ill. The medical staff on board the relief ship Meigle have been kept constantly busy caring for the sufferers. Scores of cases have been treated and the demands have been so great that drugs supplies were exhausted, occasioning a brief visit to St. Pierre from Lamaline last night as no stocks were available anywhere else within reach. Officials cordially welcomed members of the expedition and facilitated their business which was completed by nine oíclock last evening the ship making for St. Lawrence but being forced by a southeast storm to harbor at Lawn. Its raining heavily to-day with a much higher temperature that has been experienced since the expedition came to the coast. No inventory of losses has yet been taken as St. Lawrence where property destruction has been reported as heavier that in any other section of the devastated area. While no exact figure can be given at present it is feared that material losses of all kinds between Lamaline and Rock Harbor will closely approximate, if they do not absolutely reach a total of a million dollars.

(Colonial Secretary from Hon. Dr. MOSDELL)

Argentia, November 27.-(on board relief ship Meigle, Burin)- the Florence Nightingale of the earthquake and tidal wave disaster on the Southwest coat is Nurse D. CHERRY of the Nonia Cantre at Lamaline. At every point the Meigle has called we have heard stirring tales of her courage and devotion to the interests of the survivors. Starting her work of mercy immediately after the occurrence of the catastrophe she has known no rest day or night since then, and has been without assistance of any kind until the arrival on the coast of the doctors and nurses of our relief expedition. It must have been almost a superhuman effort for Nurse CHERRY to make her way on foot all through the stricken area from Lamaline to Lawn, a distance of twenty miles. Roads and bridges were swept away and she had to wade many of the streams en route. The weather was intensely cold with snow falling almost all the time. Her ministrations proved nothing less that providential to terror stricken women and frightened women and children. She got through the district as quickly as possible, sparing herself not at all and after rendering first aid in one settlement she moved on along until something had been done everywhere to help and to cheer the stricken. Courage and devotion were required for the journey which was made right after the woeful destruction of the tidal wave, with miles of desolation to be traversed at night, and nobody just sure that the catastrophe would not be reenacted 
All day yesterday the Meigle sheltered at Lawn a southeast storm with high seas and driving rain rendering communication with the shore almost impossible. Towards evening that rain turned to sleet and there was nothing to do except wait until the dark and tempestuous night had passed. During the lull in the storm of the morning nurse Cheery was taken on board . She was found almost in a state of collapse after her strenuous and self-sacrificing efforts. Despite her objections the expedition kept her with them and have taken her as far as Burin to enable her to recuperate. She returns to her district by the Argyle tomorrow.
At St. Lawrence this morning we found the whole foreshore of the spacious harbor strewn with wreckage of the wharves, houses and stores. The financial loss here due to destruction of property, of roads and of bridges must total at least one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Two waves hit this place; the first did very little damage and was followed by a recession of the water which left the harbor exposed inside a line cross the public wharf to the opposite side. Normally the water here is over thirty feet deep. The extremely low tide was succeeded by the second tidal wave described as at least fifty feet high. It swept the harbor with a circular motion throwing big stores from side to side of the port and leaving many of them hundred of yards from their original sites. GIOVANNINIís store, originally on the south side of the harbor, was moved bodily to the north side where it was smashed to matchwood the only portion left intact being the firmís sign which rears itself starkly from the shattered store. In the height of the storm heavy buildings were tossed about like chips and it is a marvel that more lives were not lost from the flying debris. Fortunately few of the dwelling houses at St. Lawrence were destroyed and there is not so much destitution to cope with there, as at other places visited. Whatever relief supplies were necessary were landed from the Meigle and were put in charge of a local relief committee. The public wharf is badly damaged, the road is washed out in many places, and practically all the bridges are down including the big concrete one which cost almost thirty thousand dollars to construct. After completing the survey of damage at St. Lawrence the Meigle made a stormy trip to Burin where Mr. P. T. Fudge, M. H. A. a member of the relief expedition, was landed to await the Glencoe and proceed to his home at Pass Island, three families of refugees taken on board at the devastated settlement of Taylorís Bay were also landed here. They will be taken in charge by Mr. Fudge and outfitted with clothing After which they will proceed with him on the Glencoe to Fortune where they will take up residence with relatives.- (Sgd) H. M. MOSDELL 

NOVEMBER 29 1929

South Coast Disaster Fund

(Received at Daily New Office)

Amount acknowledged $2,194.10
Rev. M Fenwick 20.00
Dr. H. H. Cowperthwaite 25.00
Folks at Daniels Cove B.D.V. per John Howard 10.35
A Vincent Summers 10.00
Alex. Day (Old Perlican) 2.00

Total $2,261.45

( Received by the Hon. Treasurer)
Tors Cove Trading Co. Ltd. 100.00
Stevenson & Co Ltd. 50.00
Miss M. J. Chafe 10.00
Thomas Winter 50.00
C. A. C. Bruce 100.00
B. J. Miller 50.00 
Job Bros. & Co., Ltd. 1000.00
Graves & Sons 25.00
Mr. and Mrs. W. N. Grey 50.00
Canon and Mrs Bolt 25.00
R. Gushue 50.00
D. K. Kermode Parr Cambridge Mass 5.00
Bert Hayward Ld. 100.00 
ďOur GangĒ contract four 4.00 
The total amount now in hands of Hon. Treasurer exclusive of the daily newspaper fund is $15,884


The gift in Kind Committee acknowledges with thanks the following:- 

Mrs. T. Hamilton, Carterís Hill, 1 parcel clothing

Mrs. Crocker, Young Street, 1 parcel clothing

Mrs. OíMara. Kings Road, 1 parcel ,clothing.

P. E. Outerbridge, City 2 packages, groceries, etc.

Friend, City, 1 parcel, clothing

Mrs. W. F. Joyce, Barnes Road, 8 packages clothing.

Mrs. M. J. Nolan, Pleasant St. 1 package, clothing

Mrs. Carew, Theatre Hill, 1 bed spring and mattress.

DECEMBER 2, 1929


Received at Daily New office.

Amount acknowledged $2261.45

From the Palace Priests 100.00

Rev. C. H. and Mrs. Johnson 25.00

Donation from eight kiddies all cousins, as follows
Bobbin, Hanley and Nancy, 10.00 Jessie, Buster &
Kitty 10.00, Bob & George 10.00 30.00

Carbonear Girls Guides 10.00

William L. Halfyard 10.00

Collection taken at home of Mrs. H. T. Ford,
South river, by listeners 5.00

Employees Sanitary Dept. Municipal Council,
per Mrs. Jas G. Dwyer 105.00

E. J. R. Trinity 100.00

Edna E. Parsons 5.00

J. M LeDrew and family Bell Island 5.00

Henry and Ian Cowan 50.00

Total $2706.95

The following subscriptions have been received by me:- 

T & M Winter $2000.00

Baine Johnson & Co.Ltd. $1000.00

The Metallic roofing Co. of Toronto(per Wm.
Heap & Co. Ltd.) 200.00

Nfld. Boot & Shoe Mfg. Co. 100.00

Thomas Hallett 100.00

The Monroe Export Co. Ltd 500.00

Mendes Lima & Co., Pernambuco,
Brazil(per The Monroe Export Co. Ltd) L100 493.87

Employees Harvey Butterine Factory 60.00

The total amount now in the hands of the Hon. Treasurer exclusive of the daily newspaper funds is $20,337.87

A. Milligan, Hon Treasurer..

Name in RecordDescription of ErrorMy Name


© 2002 John Baird &  NL GenWeb