NL GenWeb Newspaper Records

Notre Dame Bay Region

Twillingate Sun and Northern Weekly Advertiser

January 1882 - June 1882

Place of publication: Twillingate
Dates of publication: June 24, 1880-Jan. 31, 1953.
Suspended publication: Jan. 16-Feb. 15, 1947.
Frequency: Weekly.

Title varies:

Twillingate Sun and Northern Weekly Advertiser, June 24, 1880-Aug. 10. 1912.
Twillingate Sun, Oct. 19, 1912-Jan. 31, 1953.

Editor and proprietor:

Jabez P. Thompson, June 24, 1880-1895.
George Roberts, 1895 (56)-1910.
William B. Temple, 1910-1921.
Stewart Roberts, 1921-Jan. 9, 1947.
Ernest G. Clarke, Feb. 22, 1947-Jan. 31, 1953.

The Twillingate Sun printed local and foreign news, legislative proceedings, serial fiction and advertisements. It claimed to be politically independent in 1886, but supported the Whiteway and the Liberals, especially in the fall election of 1894. In 1929, it supported Squires and in 1948 was neutral on Confederation. The Sun ceased publication due to financial reasons in 1953.


MUN 1880-1883, 1886-[1887]-[1889, 1891-1896,1899, 1903-1905, 1908-1944]-1953 Microfilm
PANL [1928-1930, 1934-1935, 1938, 1953] Microfilm
PRL 1880-1883, 1886-[1887]-[1889, 1891-1896,1899, 1903-1905, 1908-1944]-1953 Original and microfilm.

The records were transcribed by JACK MONTGOMERY and BEVERLY WARFORD, formatted by GEORGE WHITE starting in May 2002. While we have endeavored to be as correct as humanly possible, there could be some typographical errors.

Jan. 7, 1882 InheritanceFrederick TANNER, belonging to Somersetshire, England, who has been residing in Twillingate the past three years, received intelligence by last mail of the death of an uncle, Mr. John RODGERS, who left 250 to him and 250 to his brother living in England.
Jan. 7, 1882AccidentA serious accident occurred on board the Kate on New Years Eve. While one of the crew, named James ELLIOTT was putting fire to a loaded cannon it immediately bursted and the unfortunate man received serious injuries. One of his legs was badly wounded. He has been to Mrs. BOYD'S where he is receiving careful medical treatment.
Jan. 7, 1882AccidentRichard BURTON belonging to the Arm, while in the act of roofing his stage, one day last week, fell from the scaffold, breaking his leg and sustaining other injuries.
Jan. 7, 1882DepartureJ. B. TOBIN, Esq., and family left here by last Plover for St. John's where the latter will reside during the winter. We understand that Mr. TOBIN intends visiting the Old Country in the course of the next few months, and we hope that he may enjoy a pleasant season.
Jan. 7, 1882DepartureR. P. RICE, Esq., M.H.A., for the district, left for St. John's same time, in order to be present at the opening of the legislature, which will be convened for the dispatch of business on 16th proximo.
Jan. 7, 1882DepartureWe understand that W. LETHBRIDGE, Esq. J.P. intends going to England this winter, and that he will leave here by this Plover for St. John's where he will take passage on one of the Allan steamships, which will be leaving there about the 18th or 20th inst. We hope that the voyage across the Atlantic may be a safe and speedy one.
Jan. 7, 1882ArrivalWe welcome the return per Plover, F. BERTEAU, Esq., Stipendiary Magistrate, who has been absent for a few weeks; also Sergeant WELLS, who arrived same time.
Jan. 7, 1882Insurance Club ReportThe following statement of the Committee of the Terra Nova Mutual Insurance Club shows that fortune has attended the vessels connected therewith, notwithstanding the storms that may have been encountered during the past season. The club comprises some fifty or sixty craft, principally engaged in the trade of Messrs. W. WATERMAN & Co. Twillingate, Dec. 30th, 1881. We the undersigned Committee of the Terra Nova Mutual Insurance Club hereby state to those concerned that at the termination of the time limited, 21st inst., no loss had occurred to vessels entered in the Club the past season: Simon WARR; Matthew ELLIOTT; John PURCHASE; George SNOW; William STARKE; Charles BRETT; Albert SPENCER; Joseph STUCKLESS; John DWYER, Jr.; George PORTER. R. D. HODGE.
Jan. 7, 1882Good NewsMr. James WINSOR received a telegram from Queenstown this forenoon acquainting him with the fate of the Schr. Mary, about which so much anxiety had been felt. The Mary, it will be remembered, left this port nearly five weeks ago with a cargoe of "supplies" for Exploits, Notre Dame Bay, but having failed to reach her destination after a reasonable time elapsed, it was feared she'd "gone-down" with all on board. It now appears the schooner was driven off by the strong westerly gales experienced all along the coast shortly after her departure; that she was reduced to a helpless wreck somewhere between this Island and the Irish coast, and that Captain BUTLER and his crew were rescued by a passing vessel and landed at Queenstown---St. John's Telegram.
Jan. 7, 1882MarriageDuring the past few weeks the dullness of our quiet little town has been somewhat changed by the fact that some of its residents have started out on the sea of matrimony. On the 28th ult., Mr. Titus LINFIELD (of the firm of HODDER & LINFIELD) was united in wedlock to Miss Mary Ann HODDER. The Ceremony was performed about five o'clock, p.m., in the South-side Methodist Church by the Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, where a goodly number assembled to witness the performance. After the knot had been tied the several sleighs which took them to the Church, conveyed the bridal party to the residence of Mr. LINFIELD, where arrangements in good style had been made for the occasion. Invitations were extended to a large number of friends, who were entertained at a tea-party in the course of the evening, and who participated heartily in the enjoyments of the auspicious event. The display of fire-arms in the early part of the evening seemed to be an index of the esteem in which the newly married pair were held, as well as the reception of a number of presents, and one in particular from the members of the Mutual Improvement Society of which both were members. [Note: The reference to firearms is a reference to the tradition of firing guns to celebrate a marriage. GW]
Jan. 7, 1882MarriageA similar event took place on New Year's Eve, when Mr. Edwin COLBOURNE led to the Altar in St. Peter's Church, Miss Ellen BLACKLER, the Ceremony being performed by the Rev. R. TEMPLE, R.D. They afterwards retired to Mr. COLBOURNE's residence where tea was prepared for the bridal guests. On the following Wednesday evening a number of young friends were entertained in honour of the occasion. Conspicuous on a table which contained a supply of fruit &c. was a beautifully ornamented cake, which had been procured from Messrs. J. & G. LASH, St. John's, who are well known for their art in making and adorning them in first-class style. May each of the married ones live to enjoy many years of prosperity and happiness.
Jan. 7, 1882Supreme Court NewsIn the Supreme Court, last week, Captain WELDON, of a Nova Scotian vessel, was found guilty of doing grevious bodily harm to a colored man, one of his crew, by firing at and wounding him, at the Bay of Islands. He was sentenced to six months imprisonment with hard labour, and F. MORRIS, found guilty of arson, with intent to defraud an insurance company, and was sentenced to five months imprisonment with hard labour.---- St. John's Gazette.
Jan. 7, 1882More Court NewsThe commercial case of MONROE vs. FALLE which occupied the Supreme Court for six days, was closed yesterday afternoon, the jury returning a verdict for the plaintiff for the amount of goods supplied by him to Mr. PAYNE to August 13, 1880, the date at which he became aware that Mr. FALLE had withdrawn from the business carried on by Mr. PAYNE in Burin. The amount of the verdict is about 3352.----- Nfldr.23rd.
Jan. 7, 1882Body FoundYesterday the body of a man named John BURKE, of Logy Bay, who was lost in a snow storm on Christmas Eve, was found in a vicinity of Bally Hally. The poor fellow was the sole supporter of a widowed mother.---- St. John's Times, January 4th.
Jan. 7, 1882BirthLANNING---- At Exploits, Burnt Island, on the 23rd December, the wife Mr. William LANNING of a daughter.
Jan. 7, 1882MarriageYOUNG, CLARK---- On December 24th, by the Rev. R. TEMPLE R.D., Mr. Robert YOUNG of Tickle Point, to Miss Priscilla CLARK of Back Harbor.
Jan. 7, 1882MarriageSIMMS, PRICE---- On December 29th, by the same, Mr. Thomas SIMMS to Miss Martha Ann PRICE, both of Back Harbor.
Jan. 7, 1882MarriagePOND, ANSTEY---- Same day, by the same, Mr. John POND of Farmer's Arm, to Miss Mary ANSTEY of Paradise.
Jan. 7, 1882MarriageYOUNG, GILLARD---- On Dec. 25th, by Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, Mr. Obadiah YOUNG of Twillingate, to Miss Bridget GILLARD of Bluff Head Cove.
Jan. 7, 1882MarriageMOORS, SPARSHATT---- On Dec. 26th, by the same, in Methodist Church, Little Harbor Mr. Paul MOORS to Miss Mariana SPARSHATT, teacher Methodist Day School Little Harbor.
Jan. 7, 1882MarriageWHITE, MITCHARD---- On Jan. 5th 1882 by same, Mr. John WHITE of Ragged Point, to Miss Elizabeth Jane MITCHARD of Twillingate.
Jan. 7, 1882MarriageJOE, WILLS---- At St. Andrew's Church, Brooklyn, B.B., on the 19th ultimo, by the Rev. Theodore R.NURSE, Mr. Sulie JOE, to Rebecca, eldest daughter of Mr. Henry WILLS.
Jan. 7, 1882DeathMILLEY---- At Exploits, on the 18th Dec., of measles, Mr. Francis MILLEY, aged 70 years, leaving a wife and family to mourn their loss.
Jan. 7, 1882DeathDUDER---- At. St. John's, on 22nd December, after a brief illness, Arthur George, youngest son of the late Edwin DUDER, Esq., aged 22 years.
Jan. 7, 1882Death LINFIELD---- On the 31st ult., after a tedious illness with meek submission to the Divine will, Martha, daughter of Mr. Thomas LINFIELD, aged 27 years. "Asleep in Jesus." Words would fail to express the real vaule [value] of the deceased---- she being of a very amiable disposition, always ready to deny herself for the sake of others. Possessing as she naturally did a great degree of patience and having her hope of heaven firmly grounded upon the Rock of Ages, she endured her affliction to the end without a murmur, and when in the moments of her dissolution her last words were: "Jesus precious Lamb." The funeral took place on Wednesday last, the school children walking in procession before the corpse, she having for a long time being associated with the Sabbath School. A large congregation assembled in the church, where, in addition to the usual funeral services, a sermon, was preached by the pastor, Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, from the words; Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of this saints.---Ps.16
Jan. 7, 1882FOR SALEThat valuable premises at LEADING TICKLES, consisting of-- SHOP, STORE, Stage, Dwelling House, and a large garden and meadow ground; also a large lot of Land not cleared. The above is situated close to the seaside, with deep waterage and plenty of room for building, and only about two miles from the Seal Bay mine. The property will be sold for the low price of 60; or hired for a term of 5 or 10 years at 10 per annum. For further particulars apply to PATRICK KENNEDY, Leading Tickles, Notre Dame Bay.

Jan. 14, 1882Sad News of ShipLOSS OF THE S.S."LION" WITH ALL ON BOARD. (By telegraph to Little Bay) The steamer Hercules called here early on Friday morning, from Little Bay Mines, via St. John's, bringing the sad intelligence of the loss of the steamer Lion and all on board, at the Grates on the night of Saturday last, for which particulars we have to thank an esteemed friend at Little Bay. The Lion left St. John's for Trinity on the night mentioned, whence she intended sailing for the seal fishery, and could not have been very long out before the catastrophy took place. The following is a list of passengers lost on her:---- Rev. Mr. FOSTER and wife; Mrs. J. CROSS; Miss NEWHOOK; Miss BAILEY; Miss WATKINS; Chas. POWERS; James GRANT and son; three brothers of the DOHERTY'S; Jno. JEANS; G. NANGLE; Edward JEANS and wife. To the sorrowing friends who have thus so unexpectedly been called on to suffer the loss of their loved ones, we tender our sympathy.
Jan. 14, 1882Shipping NewsFor the following interesting paragraphs, we have to thank a respected correspondent at Bett's Cove under date of the 5th inst:--- The long expected steamer Racilia of 1,170 tons register, Captain JAMES, arrived here on the last of the year last, the latest arrival from foreign to this shore on record. The Racilia left Glasgow on or about the middle of November, and on account of damage by storm, put back to Queenstown, from which port after repairing damages, she succeeded in getting here safely. She brings a large cargo of machinery for the use of the mines. New boiler, engines, coke, iron, steel, and general cargo. She is now loading with ore at Little Bay, the company working at her day and night to give her a quick dispatch, and it is expected she will be ready to leave in a few days. She takes 2,400 tons copper. The Racilia experienced very stormy weather in mid-ocean and steamed for St. John's. She lost some of her boats and one of the large ventilators was broken off close to her deck by a sea. Her cargo was also started and some other damages sustained. She is a noble ship and commanded by an energetic captain who was chief officer of the ship last voyage, the last master having had his arm broken on her passage back to Queenstown.
Jan. 14, 1882Shipping NewsThe steamer Merlin arrived here last week with a quantity of powder from the wreck of the M.[or H.] B. Jones, Capt. Wolfe, on her voyage from Halifax, and wrecked near Seldom-come-by.
Jan. 14, 1882Marine WeatherThe weather here this season is exceedingly favorable for those ships expected. It has been moderate and mild, with smooth seas, such as has not been experienced for many years.
Jan. 14, 1882DeathWe are sorry to have to record the death of Mrs. Andrew ROBERTS which occurred on Wednesday last, after a brief illness of eight days. On the night of the 3rd inst., she was seized with a severe paralitic stroke, which entirely prostrated her, resulting in death, which she met with the greatest serenity, having her confidence firmly grounded on the Rock of Ages. We understand that Mrs. ROBERTS was always solicitous of aiding any undertaking on foot for the general good of the community. The friends of Temperance ever found her most willing to assist whenever the services of the ladies were needed in connection with their anniversaries or on other occasions; and out of respect to her memory, it was unanimously resolved at a meeting of the Division on Thursday evening last, that the members walk in procession at the funeral. For that purpose they are requested to meet in the Hall shortly after twelve on Monday next, as the funeral will take place about half-past one p.m. The deceased leaves a large family to lament the loss of an affectionate person, in addition to a numerous circle of friends, who will long cherish her memory. We tender our sympathies to the bereaved.
Jan. 14, 1882Railway SurveyingThe survey under the superintendance of Mr. TWINING has been energetically proceeding since last report. The weather prevailing during the week has been favourable to the work; and fifteen miles of the line to Riverhead towards Spread Eagle Peak are now located.----- Harbor Grace Standard.

Jan. 27, 1882Sealing NewsDuring the past week several seals have been killed by persons who were guarding the lakes of water in the ice some distance off. These we believe are first that have captured in this way this season.
Jan. 27, 1882Sealing NewsThe schr. Ripple which reached here from St. John's just before the ice made, bound to Round Harbor whence she intended sailing for Seal fishery, was prevented from reaching her destination and will prosecute the enterprise from here instead.
Jan. 27, 1882Sealing NewsA Tilt Cove corespondent informed us lately that the steamer Tiger, Capt. HUDSON, who will prosecute the sealing business from Round Harbor, will take his crew from that part of the bay.
Jan. 27, 1882MarriageSLADE, WHITE----On Jan. 15th, by Rev. R. TEMPLE R.D., Mr. James SLADE of Durrell's Arm, to Miss Lucy Ann WHITE of Frost Harbor, Twillingate.
Jan. 27, 1882MarriageMOORS, FIFIELD----On Jan the 17th in the Methodist Church South side, by Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, Mr. Jacob W. MOORS, eldest son of Mr. Joseph MOORS to Miss Mary Ann FIFIELD daughter of the late Mr. John FIFIELD of Twillingate.
Jan. 27, 1882DeathDUDER----At St. John's, on the 13th inst., Mary Elizabeth, relict of the late Edwin DUDER, Esq., aged 54 years.
Jan. 27, 1882DeathMANUEL----On the 9th inst. At the residence of Mr. Gladuey TAILOR, Water Street, St. John's, Mr. Walter William MANUEL, aged 35 years. The deceased was son of Mr. James MANUEL of Twillingate. He resided at Griquet, French Shore, for the past few years, and being in delicate state of health for some months, he removed to St. John's in the Fall, in order to receive medical treatment. He leaves a wife and two children.
Jan. 27, 1882BirthREADDY----On Dec 14th, at Tilt Cove, the wife of Mr. James READDY, of a son.
Jan. 27, 1882MarriageROBERTS, YOUNG----On January 11th, by Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, Mr. Edward ROBERTS, of Bluff Head Cove, to Miss Agnes YOUNG, Twillingate.
Jan. 27, 1882DeathROBERTS----On January 11th, after a short illness, Elizabeth, beloved wife of Capt. Andrew ROBERTS, aged 48 years, leaving a large family to mourn their loss. She died in sure and certain hope of a general resurrection. Funeral will take place on Monday afternoon at half-past one.

Feb. 10, 1882Church NewsThe Rev. H.C.H. JOHNSON of Exploits, has been spending a few days here lately. Last Sunday he preached in St. Andrew's Church at 11 o'clock, and in St. Peter's at 6:30 p.m. In the latter place he took his text from Jos. 1:5, favoring the congregation with a profitable and instructive discourse.
Feb. 10, 1882Church NewsThe Rev. PINCOCK of Moreton's Harbor was also in town the past week, having come with the expectation of attending the annual Methodist Missionary meeting, which would have taken place last Wednesday evening, but for the previous snowfalls that caused very bad travelling. It was therefore postponed until next week, or even later should the weather not be suitable.
Feb. 10, 1882Schooner on the iceA large crew of volunteers was engaged at times this past week in endeavoring to get the Ja G. Jones upon the ice in order to make repairs; and after two or three attempts on various days, they succeeded in accomplishing their object on Thursday. This schooner belongs to Mr. Thos. AVERY and was purchased by him last summer on what used to be termed the French Shore. Fortunately, however, it is to be no longer known by that name. The craft is about 25 tons, built of good oak, and not being very old, will, when put in good order, be suitable for trading purposes, for which we think this owner intends her.
Feb. 10, 1882Snow StormEarly on the morning of the 28th ult., a severe snow storm, with violent wind was experienced in those parts, causing damage to property in some places. In the Arm two or three frames of houses in course of creating, were blown down. The new St. Andrew's Church in course of completion was also slightly shaken. We are glad to know however, that the injury is not of so serious a character, as was at first anticipated, and that a little extra outlay will put the building in its former condition.
Feb. 10, 1882Launch of BuildingOn Friday last, a building owned by Mr. James HODDER, and formerly situated on his premises on the side of the hill, just apass the bridge, was hauled near the water-side, close to the bridge, and when put in proper repair, will make a capital business stand. A large number of volunteers assisted in the launch, which was superintended by Mr. James FIFIELD, who has undertaken and successfully carried through other similar projects in the past.
Feb. 10, 1882Orange FestivalThe Orange Annual Festival will be held (weather permitting) on Wednesday next. Arrangements are being made for a good program for the occasion.
Feb. 10, 1882Few Seals TakenA few seals have been killed by means of "swatching", (a term used by sealers when patiently waiting for a shot by a lake of water), within the past week or so. On Candlemas Day the Messrs. YOUNG's secured two or three, and yesterday, several old bedlamers were captured by Crow Head sealers about four miles off from Long Point.
Feb. 10, 1882Firing GunsIt will be seen by reference to our advertising columns that the Stipendiary Magistrate has given caution against the unnecessary discharging of fire arms, as a prevention to any serious accident that might accrue by a persistency in such a dangerous practice. We presume that the motive for this timely warning was prompted by the fact that a case was before his Worship a short time ago, the cause of the complaint being that the plaintiff's horse had taken fright by the firing of guns while passing the public streets. This custom seems to be most common of marriage celebrations. It has been suggested that if persons are anxious to manifest esteem for their newly married friends, could it not be done in a more tangible way by presenting them with a valuable present, which the cost of the powder so used would be likely to procure. We would recommend such a plan.
Feb. 10, 1882Rambling from Random[ The following is from Random Sound, Trinity Bay.] We have to thank a "Rambler," under date of Jan 13th, for the subjoined paragraphs of interest:-- Dear Sir--- The winter has been very eager in its work around these regions, but not more eager than the many families are who have come here for a winter's work. The chief hope is "Railway Sleepers" and the natives true to their instincts are getting them out of the woods for a mere trifle, while others realize the profits. Christmas passed off joyously. At Northern Bight the school children had a Christmas Tree which all enjoyed (not the tree, but the things on it) and the tea provided for them. In Shoal Harbor the Rev. [can't read] LEWIS delivered a lecture on "Before and After." The topics discussed concerned the "before and after" of marriage--- love, courtship, getting married, home life, thrift, cleanliness, godliness, and true success. The lecture was both instructive and amusing. At Northern Bight there was much excitement the other day. The Methodist people went like a mighty army to wage war upon the trees of the forest; result--- an excellent frame form parsonage. The very same day the Shoal Harbor Methodist commenced a war which lasted three days; results--- splendid lumber for their new church. Special services were held in Northern Bight and Shoal Harbor at the beginning of the New Year with cheering results. There is much forecasting as to where the Railway will come out in these arms. The postal authorities are determined we shall not have any notification in either getting or sending letters and newspapers. It is shameful the way things are managed. The telegraph wires pass right along here and though 40 miles from Trinity, we cannot get a station in any part of Random. Perhaps we will when the Government fellows are looking for votes.
Feb. 10, 1882DeathPARSONS----At Jenkin's Cove on the 3rd inst., after a protracted illness, with calm submission to the will of God, William, son of Thomas PARSONS, aged 27 years. His remains were interred in the Hart's Cove Cemetery, South Side on Wednesday last, the St. Peter's Lodge, S.U.F. of which he was a member walking in procession at the funeral. A large congregation was in attendance at St. Andrew's Church where, besides the funeral ceremony, a short and impressive discourse was given by the Rev. R. TEMPLE, R.D., from the words: The brother shall rise again--- John 2: 23. The speaker administered to the Spiritual comforts of the deceased up to the last and was therefore able to refer encouragingly of his departure to the better land, and of his hopes of a joyful insurrection at the last day.
Feb. 10, 1882DeathDEADY----At Joe Batt's Arm, on January 29th, Thomas Joseph, only son of Thomas and Susannah DEADY, aged 2 years and 5 months.
Feb. 10, 1882NOTICEAny person firing any Gun, Pistol or other Fire-arms in any City, Town, or Settlement in this Island for the purpose of creating a noise or disturbance, or without some necessity or reasonable excuse for so doing, shall for every such offence pay a penalty not exceeding Twenty Dollars. F. BERTEAU, Stipendiary Magistrate. Twillingate, Jan 19th, 1882.
Feb. 10, 1882Indian Islands Click here!

Feb. 24, 1882Missionary MeetingsThe Missionary meetings will be held at Tizzard's Harbor on Monday evening next, and at Moreton's Harbor on the following evening, (weather permitting) and will be addressed by the Revs. T.W. ATKINSON, J. PARKINS, P. PINCOCK and others.
Feb. 24, 1882Local & GeneralSEALS --- A good many seals have been killed with guns the past week, and on the whole indications have been favorable. Two or three days sealers were fairly successful,---- Some crews of four and five killing seven or eight. The nearest distance at which any were found was about three miles from land. Those captured were mostly bedlamers.
Feb. 24, 1882Annual FestivalsThe Loyal Orange Lodges held their annual Festival on the 15 inst., which was a decided success in every particular, an account of which will be found in another column. The "North Star" Division of the Sons of Temperance had theirs on Tuesday last, a report of which may be looked for in next paper, as space will not admit us appearing in this week.
Feb. 24, 1882Disastrous FireFIRE AT FORTUNE HARBOR ---- A correspondent from there, informs us of disastrous fire which took place in their harbor about 4 o'clock on the morning of the 3rd inst. It originated accidentally in the dwelling house of John and Thomas LUNNEN, totally destroying the whole building, and every article of furniture and clothing therein, the inmates barely escaping with their lives. Our correspondent says "that both John and Thomas were fearfully burned in endeavoring to save the former's wife and children, which they succeeded in doing after great difficulty. There were six men in the house and all of them had to jump out of bed and rush through fire and smoke to save their lives, the house being on fire both above and below before any of them awoke. The all say that in less than five minutes every soul in the house would have been suffocated. The escape of so many persons was really miraculous. Some of them had scarcely a hair on their head, all was burned off rushing through the flames. Dr. FLYNN who was boarding at the same house, also lost everything belonging to him." He also remarks that it is a deplorable spectacle to see such a large family at this season of the year without an article of clothing. Their sad condition is certainly one that demands immediate commiseration from the public, and we would appeal to the generous hearted of this and the neighboring communities on their behalf; as I sincerely hope that the sufferings of the unfortunate family, so suddenly brought about by the devouring element, may to some extent be alleviated by our people. It is seldom that the like happens; but when it does, and the unfortunate sufferers are deprived of home and every vestige of apparel, (as was the case in this instance) the sympathy of all should be extended. Let us picture their lamentable situation at this cold season of the year, and may tangible evidence of a Christian and friendly feeling be generously manifested towards the distressed ones.
Feb. 24, 1882Bad TreatmentBAD TREATMENT TO ONE OF OUR CRAFT IN BAY-DE-VERDE ---- It is only within the last few days that we were apprised of the shameful acts, perpetrated nearly three months since by residents of Bay-de-Verde on one of our craft, while returning from St. John's. The Rosanna, Nicholas PENNEY, master, of Seldom - Come - By, left St. John's on a Thursday in November previous to the heavy gales that were experienced about that time. When about half way across Conception Bay she was overtaken by a snow storm, and ran for Bay de Verde bight. Being unacquainted locally, and wishing to secure safe anchorage, the master made a signal of distress, and sent a boat ashore for assistance to direct him to a good holding ground and to render aid in putting the schooner in a good position for riding out the storm which was raging fiercely at the time. Two belonging to the place went on board but being in state of intoxication, they could not afford the necessary help. The master then called on others, but the next who responded to the request were just as bad, if not worse, than the first. However, with his own crew, the master managed to secure the craft, but while he was busily engaged in doing so, the parties who had been on board took from the craft a reefer jacket belonging to the master, a spare compass which was in the cabin, a can of paint and a flask of powder, and it was not until after they had left the place that they discovered these things had been stolen. To take such a thing as a compass out of a craft, at a time like that was an act of downright villainy and if the parties could be ferreted out they should be severely punished; and it is to be hoped that they may yet be brought to justice. It was just a short time afterwards while going from Catalina to Greenspond that they were near being in bad predicament by having only one compass on board. When near Gooseberry Rock and about to shape course for harbor, the jibing of the mainsail caused the compass they were steering by to fall about the deck, breaking the binnacle in pieces, but fortunately, however, the instrument sustained no serious injury. If it had, the removal of the spare one might have resulted disastrously.
Feb. 24, 1882Schooner StrandedOn Saturday the 14th ult., the schooner, Sisters, belonging to James PEARCE, drove from her moorings in Rousell's Cove, New Bay, and got stranded on Cottle's Cove Point, where she remained until Monday morning, when all the neighbors of New Bay and Fortune Harbor rendered assistance, and after four days succeeded in getting her to a place of safety. I understand that she is pretty much injured. Rudder and sternpost gone, about 30 feet of keel and a couple of streaks of plank. I heard also that the greater part of his Labrador salt was lost.
Feb. 24, 1882St. Andrew's LodgeS.U.F., ROUND HARBOR----Through some oversight on our part, the following item received from an esteemed correspondent some time ago did not appear earlier: --- On Wednesday evening, Dec. 28th, an emergency meeting of St. Andrew's Lodge, S.U.F., was held at Round Harbor for the purpose of electing officers for the ensuing year, when the following were installed in their respective offices, viz.: --- James CHARD, Worthy Master. Thomas RYAN, Chief Officer. Wm. COLLINS, 2nd. do. Absalom BOLL, Quarter master. Wm. FUDGE, Look-out. James SMITH, Secretary. Charlie COOMBS, Purser. C.S. ROWLAND, Chaplain. Notwithstanding the difficulties which St. Andrew's Lodge has had to contend with, it is in good working order, and the brethren seem indefatigable in carrying on their good work of relieving the sick and suffering, the widow and orphan. That God may grant them much success in their undertakings and stir up others to follow their good example, is the prayer of A VISITOR.
Feb. 24, 1882PersonalThe Rev's. J. PARKINS of Exploits, and J. PINCOCK of Moreton's Harbor, came here on Wednesday last to attend the annual Missionary meeting, which took place on the following evening, and was largely attended. They will also preach in the two churches on Sunday next, morning and evening, alternately.
Feb. 24, 1882Mackerel FleetHIGH LINE OF THE MACKEREL FLEET.---- Sch. Edward E. Webster, Cap. Solomon JACOBS, is high line of the mackerel fleet, having landed 4500 bbls. mackerel this season, 2900 bbls. fresh and 1600 bbls. salt, making a net stock of $24,270. Her gross stock was $26,570. This is the largest stock ever made in the mackerel fishery. Last year the Webster led the New England fleet with a stock of $19,745.76 gross, her catch being 3900 bbls.----2600 salt and 1300 fresh----Cape Ann Advertiser, Dec. 2.
Feb. 24, 1882Local CaptainThe Captain JACOBS referred to, who has been so successful among the mackerel fleet, is a native of Twillingate, and connected by family ties to Mrs. Titus LINFIELD. He left here some years ago, and like most Newfoundlanders who make a residence in Foreign lands, he has made his mark in the avocation pursued, being pronounced by the above journal (printed in the place where the fishery is prosecuted) as "having had the largest stock ever made in the mackerel fishery." We wish him still further prosperity in future.
Feb. 24, 1882MarriagesBRIEN. CANTWELL, ---- At St. John's, on the 5th. Jan. at the residence of the bride's uncle, by the Rev. J. SCOTT, Mr. J.J. BRIEN, to Ellen, daughter of the late Mr. James CANTWELL, both of that city.
Feb. 24, 1882MarriagesSTARES, MARSHALL, ---- At Saint Andrew's Church, Brooklyn, Bonavista Bay, on the 26th ultimo by the Rev. Theodore R. NURSE, Mr. Henry G. STARES, to Triphenia, eldest daughter of Mr. Caleb MARSHALL.
Feb. 24, 1882MarriagesLOCKE, BARNES, ---- At Boot Harbor, Halls Bay, on Dec 21st, 1881 by Rev. J. LISTER, Mr. James LOCKE of Little Bay Islands, to Miss Louisa BARNES of Boot Harbor.
Feb. 24, 1882From Change IslandsJan. 9, 1992 --- To the Editor of the Twillingate Sun. Sir,----Will you kindly give place to the following? On the evening of the 4th, the members of Victoria Lodge, No. 19, S.U.F. assembled in their Lodge Room for the purpose of electing officers for the present year, when the undermentioned brethren were elected: - Worthy Master, Bro. A. PIKE jr., re-elected. Chief Officer, " H. HAWKINS, elected. 2nd do. Fred PIKE, elected. Secretary, " J. DOWELL, re-elected. Chaplain, " A.J. GINN, elected. Purser, " S. SAUNDERS, re-elected. Quarter Master, " W. WATERMAN, re-elected. Look-Out, " J. HAWKINS, elected. Relief Committee--- Bros. John JEANS, Henry PORTER, William PORTER, David HOFF, Eli HOFF, Henry GATEHOUSE. After the above business had been gone through, the Secretary was asked to give a statement of the past year's expenditure, and to the delight of all present, it was stated that the Lodge is now in credit of 120, most of which is deposited at 3 per cent. Yours &c., A FISHERMAN
Feb. 24, 1882From Seal BayJan. 30th, 1882, --- To the Editor of the Twillingate Sun. Dear Sir,---Can you inform me why the mail couriers do not bring the mail to this place? I am not certain whether there is a way office here or not, but I know there is always a mail made up at the General Post Office, selected and addressed Seal Bay, also during the summer months the steamer calls here and mails are received and delivered regularly. But now the couriers call at the Way Office Leading Tickles, and throw down our mail bag leaving it to be sent by any opportunity that may occur, thus giving us no chance of corresponding with the Northward; neither should we have received the mail at all but for the kindness of Mr. ALCOCK who sent it to us at his own expense. Even now we have to walk about 6 miles to post our letters, with only a chance of catching the couriers. Always being able to post our letters here at the office, these things seem very unsatisfactory to us, and if such a place as this containing about 400 inhabitants that has always had the privilege of receiving regular mails, is to be so inconvenienced by neglect of couriers, I hope the Government officials will see into the matter and cause them to do their duty, or else the next thing we shall expect to hear is that our mail bag has been picked up somewhere between Leading Tickles and Seal Cove. I remain yours truly, Pro Bono Publico.
Feb. 24, 1882Notes on a Labrador Fishing Voyage Click here!

Mar. 10, 1882Seals SealsSince our last paper our sealers have been very successful in capturing seals. For a few days the ice was slack, and at other times it was too rough to travel sufficiently far in search for them. On Monday and Tuesday last the time was more favourable and a better prospect appeared. On the former day Mr. Simon YOUNG'S crew killed twelve and others got several.
Mar. 10, 1882AccidentsOn Friday last, Samuel ROGERS sustained serious injury to one of his hands. While firing a gun it bursted, and fractured his left hand very much. Surgical skill was rendered and by the ability of Dr. STIRLING a couple of the unfortunate man's fingers will be saved. This gun was formerly a "flint and steel" one, and had been in use for some fifty or sixty years. It was sent to England and converted into a new one, and was then used for the first time.
Mar. 10, 1882AccidentsJohn DOVE, of Crow Head, met with an accident while in Friday's Bay after a turn of wood on Tuesday last. In cutting a stick the axe slipped and took one of his feet right in the centre. Several stitches were necessary to bind it together.
Mar. 10, 1882Church NewsThe Rev. J. HEWITT of Herring Neck, is expected to preach in St. Peter's Church on Sunday next, morning and evening, in the absence of Rev. R. TEMPLE, R.D., who is on a ministerial visit to Loon Bay.
Mar. 10, 1882Church NewsThe Rev. J. PARKINS, of Exploits, and Rev. J. PINCOCK, of Morton's Harbor, occupied the pulpits of the two Methodist Churches, alternately, on Sunday the 26th ult. The congregation at each service was large and the discourses of an elevating and earnest character.
Mar. 10, 1882Church NewsThe Very Rev. T. SEARS, P.A., West Coast, has been lately raised to the Prelacy by the Pope. The St. John's Advocate referring to his elevation to this exalted position says:--- Our readers will be delighted to learn of the well merited promotion of the esteemed and energetic Prefect Apostolic of the West. By telegram from Channel, we learn of this appointment, received per last mail. Addresses of congratulation were presented to the Right Rev. Dr. SEARS on Sunday last, by the people of the Rivers. We expect full particulars by next mail from the Westward.
Mar. 10, 1882Church NewsThe Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, was on a ministerial visitation to Loon Bay last week, accompanied by Mr. Andrew ROBERTS. He visited members of his congregation and conducted six or seven preaching services in different parts during the short time he was absent.
Mar. 10, 1882Shipping NewsA correspondent writing from Little Bay under date of the 22nd ult. says: --- It is reported that the steamer Rascilia, which left here on the 12th Jan. with a load of copper ore for Liverpool has put back to St. John's, chief mate and two men lost.
Mar. 10, 1882ShipwreckThe Brigantine Terra Nova, 165 tons, belonging to Messrs. ROGERSON & SON, which sailed from Harbor Grace, on 26th, ult., bound to Valencia with upwards of 4,000 qtls. of fish, was totally wrecked near Cripple Cove during the fearful snow-storm which prevailed on Saturday, the 28th. The crew with difficulty saved their lives.
Mar. 10, 1882Mining NewsWe learn that Mr. G. J. KEOUGH, of Carbonear, well known in this city, who left this port recently as passenger for Britain by one of the homeward bound Allan steamers, intends, during his absence, to form a Company for the purpose of working his mining claim at North West Arm, Holyrood. This valuable claim, which lies at the head of Conception Bay, is situate within 100 yards of the railway line, is rich in indications of grey copper ore, some splendid specimens of gold in quartz being found on the same property. We most heartily congratulate our friend Mr. K. on his good fortune, and wish him every success in the furtherance of his enterprise.
Mar. 10, 1882Burin AccidentA Burin correspondent, writing under date of the 5th inst. Says:----A painfully sad accident occurred here on Christmas day. It appears that a young man belonging to Trinity Bay, named William MILLER, and a shipmate, were drinking in one of the public houses until half-past 2 o'clock when they left for their vessel-- a schooner belonging to St. John's, lying at a wharf in Butler's Cove. They separated for a short time, when Miller walked over the wharf-head and was drowned. His body was recovered and interred in the Church of England Cemetery.
Mar. 10, 1882Fall Over Cliff FatalWe are sorry to learn that a man named Michael FORRISTAL came to an untimely end by falling over a cliff at Gusset's Cove, North Shore, during the furious snow-storm of Saturday, 14th inst. It appears that the unfortunate man left a neighbour's house about 8 p.m., on his way towards his house, which lay only a few hundred yards distant. Nothing more was seen of him until the following morning, when search was made by his neighbours, and his body was found. The deceased is said to have been an upright, sober man, and much regret is felt at his untimely end. He was a native of the above place, was about 50 years of age, and has left a wife and seven children to mourn their irreparable loss. H.G. Standard.
Mar. 10, 1882Railway ProgressThe severe weather of the last week has in great degree suspended Railway Operations, which will now probably remain in abeyance until April. The rock cutting at Hoylestown has been nearly completed, and the track will be ready for the rails, to connect with those already laid. The surveying parties are on the line between Spread Eagle Peak and Random Sound and no doubt by the time that active work can be begun again in spring, the track as far as Random will be located and ready for the workmen. All along this distance men are busy providing sleepers, and steps generally are being taken to make the most of the time in which field work can be carried on with advantage in this country. We understand as soon as the rails are laid as far as the Granite quarry near Holyrood, measures will be adopted to develop this property, which will be made to supply St. John's with the cheapest building material of that kind that has ever been brought into use in this colony. We need hardly add that a considerable amount of labor will be required in connection with the working of the quarry, which will be one of the manifold advantages we may reasonably hope to enjoy as the fruits of the Railway enterprise.---- Nfldr.
Mar. 10, 1882MarriagePARSONS, PAUL,----On Monday, 2nd Jan. at the Church of the Holy Trinity, Burin, by the Rev. A.S.H. WINSOR, R. PARSONS, Esq., telegraphist, of St. Pierre, Miquelon, to Elizabeth, daughter of S. PAUL, Esq., of Burin
Mar. 10, 1882DeathsLUCAS----On March 2nd, after a lingering illness, Mr. John LUCAS, son of J.O. LUCAS, Esq., Sub Collector, H.M. Customs, Fogo, aged 28 years.
Mar. 10, 1882DeathsPERCIVAL----On the 25th inst., at the Parsonage, Gower St. St. John's, Wilfred MacGregor, the beloved son of the Rev. W. V. and Annie PERCIVAL, aged nearly 3 years.
Mar. 10, 1882DeathsANTWELL----At St. John's, on the 28th inst., Elizabeth, relict of the late Mr. R. ANTWELL, aged 67 years.
Mar. 10, 1882Rambling NotesMr. Editor----There is nothing particular going on around here. The "Railway men" who are getting sleepers find it tough work for the price given. Mr. George VARDERS of South West Arm, Random, died very suddenly, middle of January. The Lion wreck has created quite a sensation hereabouts. In Trinity it has brought much sadness. The mail work is in a sad condition. We cannot get a letter or paper; the Postal authorities seem determined to annoy the public where ever they can. The Rev. H. LEWIS delivered his lecture on "Before and after marriage," in Britannia Cove the last week in January; it was a success with a crowded house. Politicians are stirring in the Bay. BREMNER of Trinity, is spoken of with WHITEWAY and WATSON in Trinity Bay. I expect there will be hard pulling to get in. The members are very obliging this winter; you may guess why. It is desperately rough around these parts most days this winter, plenty of foxes but few rabbits; no hares or partridges. No more at present time. -- RAMBLER

Apr. 8, 1882NEWS-local & generalWe are indebted to our esteemed friend at Little Bay for transmitting the following Local items, as well as Foreign intelligence up to the 1st inst., a few days later than this mail brings:---
Apr. 8, 1882Mining AccidentsTwo accidents occurred in the Mines during last week. The first was caused by hangers of tub (full of trade coming up shaft) parting, tub falling to bottom. A man named John CLEARY of Brigus had his skull fractured; two other men had their hands hurted, but only slightly. The second accident, John TOBIN, miner, while foolishly drilling out a miss hole, had his left hand so injured that amputation above wrist was deemed necessary. John GRIFFEN had his eyes scorched by same accident. All injured men are doing well.
Apr. 8, 1882Ship DamagedThe Tiger has put back to Round Harbor with stove sides. It is believed she abandons voyage.
Apr. 8, 1882PoliticsThere was a difference of opinion on Mr. RICE'S Bill. Mr. LITTLE considered that steamers are sufficiently restricted, and the Bill was calculated to protect the interest of Twillingate and Fogo at the expense of other districts. Messrs. McNEILY, ROGERSON, SCOTT, PARSONS, GREEN, and MACKAY opposed it. Mr. RICE regretted the narrow views on so important a subject, blames St. John's members, and thought that there were too many lawyers in the House. The motion for Select Committee was lost on division. Mr. KENT charged certain members of government for crippling Ellershausen's operations in Foreign money markets and traducing the mining interests of the country. Mr. WINTER challenged proof, Mr. LITTLE said matters was of public notoriety.
Apr. 8, 1882Seal FisheryFirst Arrival from the seal fishery.----A telegram from across the bay announces that the steamer Nimrod, Capt. JOY, arrived at Channel on Thursday from the Gulf, with 9000 old and young hoods. She reports the Leopard and Panther in same ice doing well.
Apr. 8, 1882Skate the SealsA man skating down the Bay to Morton's Harbor one day last week, saw something black in the distance, about Fox Island. When near enough he discovered it to be some seventy or eighty Bay seals. They all had to go through one hole in the ice, and before they could all escape he managed to kill two of them with his skate, this being the only weapons he could command at the time.
Apr. 8, 1882Political MeetingOn Friday the 31st ult., a public meeting was held in the hall. It was addressed by Mr. R. HAMILTON of Fortune Harbor, who, we understand, intends offering himself as a candidate for the ensuing election. Public matters were referred to, and in order that greater interest might be taken in the affairs of the district, the necessity for resident members was advocated. He was followed by other speakers who were of the same opinion. Several other persons are named as likely to be contestants in the forthcoming political campaign.
Apr. 8, 1882Temperance LectureA lecture on "Temperance and Progress" was given by Mr. G.G. WILLIAM in the Hall on Friday evening. Not being present, we are not in position to report thereon. We learn, however, that the attendance was small, owing probably, to it being Good Friday, there being religious services in connection with all the churches at the same time.
Apr. 8, 1882BirthsFINDLATER----At Twillingate on the 31st ult., the wife of A. FINDLATER of a daughter.
Apr. 8, 1882BirthsFRENCH----On the second April, the wife of Mr. Joshua FRENCH of a son.
Apr. 8, 1882BirthsSCOTT----At Fogo, on the 3rd inst., the wife of R. SCOTT, Esq. merchant, of a son.
Apr. 8, 1882BirthsROBERTS----At Change Islands, on the 12th ult., the wife of Mr. Solomon ROBERTS, of a son.
Apr. 8, 1882New Bay ShippingWANTED to Charter - 5 Schooners from 80 to 100 tons, for the Newfoundland Lumber trade, season 1882. Apply to J. W. PHILLIPS, Point Limington Mills, April 8, 1882, New Bay.

Jun. 16, 1882PersonalPersonal----We are glad to notice the appointment of R.D. HODGE and J.B.ROBIN, Esquires as Justices of the Peace for the Northern district, intimation of which is given in a late number of the Royal Gazette. These gentlemen are worthy of the honorary destination thus conferred upon them, and we beg to congratulate them on receiving the same. Mr. TOBIN arrived here by the last Plover, from St. John's, having visited many of the principal cities of Europe during the past winter, accompanied by his daughter.
Jun. 16, 1882PersonalDr. SIMMS of St. John's, and Dr. MALCOM of Fogo, came here by same steamer, on a professional visit, to Mrs. Dr. STIRLING, who we regret to say, has been very ill for a few weeks.
Jun. 16, 1882PersonalThe Rev. T.W. ATKINSON left here per last Plover for Bonavista, for the purpose of attending District Meeting. He will then proceed to St. John's to be present at Conference. The other Methodist ministers labouring in various parts of the Bay also took passage by the same steamer.
Jun. 16, 1882PersonalR.P. RICE Esq., J.P. returned from St. John's eight or ten days since, having been attending to Legislative duties during the sessions of the House. Mr. RICE has occupied a seat in the House of Assembly, as a local representative for this Bay, for the past four years, and whether he is entitled to the credit for it or not, it is evident that more has been done in way of public improvement, during this term than for any two or three such periods previously. Few are likely to manifest such an interest in local affairs to those residing in the locality, and we think that the time is not far off when every constituency in the colony will delegate their persons to represent their claims in the Legislature. Mr. RICE deserves commendation for the energy and interest manifested in the sealing positions which went to the House from this district last winter; as well as in all others affairs connected with the district
Jun. 16, 1882Seek ShelterThe early part of the week several craft going to Labrador had to put into this port, being prevented from proceeding on their course consequence of ice. Favourable wind have since moved the barrier off a short distance and permitted them to get a little further toward their destination. Large fields still appear in the distance. A few good days good strong westerly breezes, however, would now clear the coast.
Jun. 16, 1882Loss of CraftA schooner owned by Mr. EMBRAY of Dildo, Trinity Bay, while passing through loose ice about ten miles from here, on the morning of the 9th inst., struck a large pan and began to sink almost immediately. She was on her way to Labrador and had sixteen or eighteen persons on board, some of them had to leave the craft poorly clad as they had not time to get their clothes before she was filled with water. Fortunately other schooners were not far off and they were soon conveyed to this port, and left for their homes by the Plover on Saturday morning.
Jun. 16, 1882Loss of CraftA small craft owned by Mr. Benjamin MILLER of Trinity was run down by a larger one on the 5th inst. This poor man in charge had his summer supplies on board and lost, we were informed, about one hundred pounds worth.
Jun. 16, 1882Reward Offered[Note: The beginning of this story is missing] ---- an early start, requested her to spread the table with his morning repast before retiring for the night, which she did. Next morning when she arose, he was gone, and although he did not return the same evening as was anticipated, nothing unusual was suspected. However on the second day matters began to assume a rather gloomy aspect. On searching the house, it was found that two suits of clothes and three shirts belonging to Mr. WHELTON, and a pair of boots belonging to a gentleman lodger, were missing. Mr. WHELTON returning from Fogo a few days after, and being informed of what had occurred, proceeded to examine the contents of his writing desk which stood on a chest of drawers in a private room, when he discovered that it had been opened and all his money, amounting to over one hundred pounds stolen, with the exception of three pounds which were enclosed in an envelope, and doubtless unobserved by the thief. It was also observed that JANES had an unusually large assortment of keys for the small amount of luggage he carried with him. Mr. WHELTON believes that JANES took advantage of his temporary absence, opened his writing desk, stole the money, locking up the desk so as to prevents Mrs. WHELTON from discovering his iniquitous theft, and to give him ample time to get far beyond the reach of those, whom evidently he thought would be after him in hot pursuit. This so suddenly and mysteriously disappearing speaks for itself. It is generally supposed, that he travelled to Greenspond, Catalina, or the Eastern parts with the hope of taking passage by steamer or vessel bound for St. John's. He seemed particularly desirous of making a farm in some part of Newfoundland, and if not thus engaged in some of the outports, may possibly be employed on the railroad, as he reported there, that he worked for some time on Nova Scotia railroads. He is almost 30 years of age, 5 feet 10 inches in height, and weighing about 180 lbs., is well built, has sandy hair, foxy beard and rather ruddy face. His language is well marked with Gaelic accent. He, in several places, has told conflicting stories of his history, and pedigree, among which he had intimated that he is a married man and deserted his wife in Cape Breton. Any persons giving intelligence of his whereabouts will be suitably rewarded we learn.
Jun. 16, 1882MarriagesELLOITT, SMART,-----At Change Islands on the 28th May, by the Rev. J. HEWITT, Mr. Joseph ELLOITT, to Mrs. Eliza SMART.
Jun. 16, 1882MarriagesAYRE, EALES,----On the 1st June, at the residence of the bride, St. John's, by the Rev., Mr. MACNEIL, John B. AYRES, Esq., to Jessie, youngest daughter of the late John EALES, Esq., both of that city.
Jun. 16, 1882Shipping NewsEntered Port of Twillingate: June 13,---Elizabeth McLea, BRAY, master, Cadiz, salt----W. WATERMAN & Co. Vooruit, HOMAN, master, Liverpool, general cargo---J.H. TOBIN.
Jun. 16, 1882Shipping NewsThe steamship Vanguard has been chartered by the American Government as a relief ship to proceed to Lady Franklin Bay with stores and fresh recruits to the Greely Arctic Expedition Party----Evening Mercury
Jun. 16, 1882Shipping NewsScores of crafts from various parts of the Island have arrived during the past week laden with railway ties. It is said that there are not less than 40,000 pieces of railway timber now afloat in this harbor. The eastern quarter of our harbor now bears a busy aspect. --- - Ibid

Jun. 23, 1882 Local and GeneralArrival of the "Plover"---- The coastal steamer Plover, with mail and passengers, arrived here shortly before eleven o'clock on Tuesday evening commanded by Capt. BLANDFORD for the first time this season, as he was on a visit to Europe during the previous trips and returned to St. John's by last Allan Steamer from Liverpool. We welcome him back, and are glad to see him looking well after his tour. In the past the Plover has generally been most punctual, but if she were just a little faster, or a bit slower (the latter is not at all preferable these times) she might often give more satisfaction to those who frequently receive large quantities of freight by her, as she almost invariably gets to port late at night, so that it is often very awkward for persons getting large shipments by her, which is nearly always the case with our merchants here. But perhaps the energetic captain may be able to give her more steam this summer.
Jun. 23, 1882 Vessel LostA communication, dated Barr'd Island, June 18th, says: The schooner Trial from St. John's bound to Labrador, which struck a pan of ice off Twillingate about two weeks ago, and sank immediately, was picked up about two miles off Barr'd Islands and towed into port. When found she was floating her stern 5 or 6 feet above water and bows downward, spars, mainsail and foresail gone. Today the schooner, anchors, chains, seines, nets, traps, &c, were sold at public auction by Mr. William FITZGERALD, wreck commissioner of Fogo, for the benefit of owners, underwriters, and those claiming salvage. As the fish have struck in well on our shores, and the prospects of a good fishery more hopeful, as might be expected, the cod traps and seine, realised their full value, sundry other articles sold at fair prices. The hull, which is not many scores short of a hundred years old, certainly modelled after "Noah's Ark," as it lay on the beach with a hole about eight feet by three in her starboard bow, sold for the sum of two pounds. The sum total of sales amounted to 234. The sale was well represented by the mercantile body of Fogo, or their agents.
Jun. 23, 1882 Boat picked up On the 15th inst., a small boat was picked up off Fortune Harbour. There was no occupant in it at the time. It contained a double-barrel gun, oil skin coat and an over coat. In the pocket of the latter, a letter was found addressed Timble Tickles (near the Mines). Two bottles containing gin were also in the boat, one was half empty. The initials G.M. were on each of the paddles. It is supposed that the unfortunate person who had occupied the boat must have met with a watery grave.
Jun. 23, 1882 The RippleOn the 15th inst., six of the crew of the schooner Ripple left White Bay for here in a small boat, launching it over the ice in places where it was impossible to row. They reached home on Friday last. White Bay was full of ice at the time and there was a great deal nearby all the distance along so far as Leading Tickles. The Ripple left this port early in April to prosecute the seal fishery, and was jammed in the ice the greater part of the time, being in White Bay for two or three weeks before part of the crew left, when provisions were short. The ice soon afterwards slackened, giving the schooner freedom, and she arrived here last Sunday morning with about twenty seals.
Jun. 23, 1882New CraftA late Fogo date says: A new schooner named the Garfield, and owned by Duder's house, was brought here from Exploits a few days ago. She adds one more to the large number of vessels owned by that firm, registers something over 40 tons, and is scheduled to replace the Daisy lost at sea last fall. She is finely modelled, well finished, and is a credit to her builder, Mr. Frederick JEWER, of Exploits. She is equipped for the Labrador fishery, and is to be commanded by Mr. George BROWN of Exploits.
Jun. 23, 1882Passenger ListPassengers per Plover from St. John's:--- Trinity,---Rev. Mr. BEATON, Dr. MCKENDRICK, Messrs. GARDNER, CARTER and Miss LA[xxx]CONTE. Catalina,----Messrs. BRAGG, O'MARA, J. WALSH, RO[x]ER. King's Cove,----Rev. Mr. KIRBY. Fogo,----Messrs. ANTHONY, FITZGERALD, DEADY, BRENNAN, Mrs. BABE. Twillingate,----Mrs. WINSOR and Mr. WEBBER. Exploits,----Mr. J. MANUEL and son, and Mr. RYAN. Little Bay,---Messrs. GREEN, WALSH, ARCHER, J. WALSH AND WAY. Tilt Cove,----Rev. Father SHEEN and Mr. LANGMEAD. From Bonavista to Twillingate,----Rev. J. PINCOCK, and Rev. W. EDYVEAN. From Greenspond to Twillingate,---Mr. and Mrs. BAIRD.
Jun. 23, 1882Craft DamagedThe Schooner Margaret, Capt. Matthew DAVIS of Harbour Grace, came into port on Saturday morning last, with her bow damaged. While passing through ice about four miles off, she struck a pan which instantly made her leaky. By heaving to and filling up the hole, they managed to get here safely, where repairs were satisfactorily made. Four seven-foot plank had to be put in the Margaret's bow. It was soon done and she was ready to leave with the fleet on Tuesday morning when a favorable time [xxxxxx].
Jun. 23, 1882Personal.----The Rev. Wm. TEMPLE and lady arrived from White Bay the past week. We welcome them back after the months of storm and frost that have elapsed since their leaving here, in Sept. last. The Rev. J. PINCOCK and Rev. W.H. EDYVEAN of Herring Neck came per Plover from Bonavista, where they had been attending District meeting. Samuel Baird, Esq., Stipendiary Magistrate for Greenspond, also arrived here same time. We welcome him to the community and trust that he may enjoy the visit with his many friends and return to Greenspond invigorated for the duties of his office.
Jun. 23, 1882 Sealing NewsThe W. J. Vicherson, belonging to Mr. CROCKER, of Griquet, arrived here on Monday, with 3,000 seals. On that part of the shore seals were more plentiful than in most places, and if the weather had been favourable at the time, good work might have been done.
Jun. 23, 1882 Waterfront DisturbanceOn Monday evening last, a number of the crews of vessels in port, were rather noisy on the public street, and on being spoken to by Constable FRENCH, one of two of the gang gave insolence. He allowed them to pass, notwithstanding, without taking notice of the unbecoming expressions used, and in order to see that the public peace was observed, he followed them to Messrs. WATERMAN & Co's wharf, where fifteen or sixteen of them attacked him, and would probably have inflicted severe bodily harm, had it not been that some of the Constable's former acquaintances, belonging to Spaniard's Bay and Carbonear interfered and seemed determined that he would not come off the worst. One of the ringleaders in the crowd, Stephen MADDOCK, was taken in custody, the officers being guarded to the gaol by about two hundred men from different craft, the greater part of them being friends of the Constable. MADOCK was brought before the Magistrate the next morning and fined eight dollars and costs, the others got clear as they left port the next day before a warrant for arrest reached them.
Jun. 23, 1882Many Sails in HarborOn Friday last, and the following days, our harbor presented quite a marine appearance, upwards of 150 sail of craft, going to Labrador, having been compelled to "turn in" owing to the ice which prevented them from getting across the Bay. On Monday night the wind and tide caused it to move off, and the following day the greater part of the fleet proceeded on their voyage. Among others, we were proud to see Mr. PARSONS, of the firm J. & B. PARSONS, Harbour Grace. He also left in his vessel on Tuesday morning.
Jun. 23, 1882Loss of CraftA Labrador schooner call the Belle, HUSSEY, master, belonging to Port-de-grave, Conception Bay, was lost off Catalina on the 14th inst. She struck a pan of ice and sank soon afterwards, the crew having had barely time to escape with their lives. It happened that another schooner was near at the time which went to their rescue.
Jun. 23, 1882Political SupportSir William and his Constituents.---- A correspondent in Trinity Bay, writing to the Mercury, remarks: "I am sure Trinity Bay and Random Sound will stand by Sir William and his party of progress like bricks. The cutting of sleepers here last winter gave food to many a poor family that otherwise would have suffered hunger. The bad voyage of last summer was brought up by the poor man who got this job as their first instalment of railway work which will go on year after year. A better day is dawning on Newfoundland." We (Ledger) have heard that Sir William WHITEWAY has been the subject of a deputation from some of the leading constituents of his district, who come pledging a continuance of their fullest support to him in the ensuing campaign.----St. John's Times, June 14.
Jun. 23, 1882More ForgeryAnother Forgery Case.----John MCCAULAY, a native of Baddeck, Cape Breton, was on yesterday arrested by head Constable SULLIVAN on the charge of forgery. MCCAULAY has been for the past four years working in the mines at Little Bay and had returned to St. John's by the last Plover as a passenger. Shortly before arriving in St. John's the purser going his rounds to collect his passage fares, the accused handed him a cheque for 80 from which to take the 1 2s 6d., as his passage money. The suspicions of the Purser were immediately aroused and he told MCCAULAY he could not cash the cheque till they arrived in St. John's when he would give him his change. On the arrival of the Plover the matter was brought under notice of the Police and it was found that the cheque was a forged one; that it had been originally drawn by managers of the Little Bay Consolidated Copper Mining Company in favour of one Alexander CAMPBELL for the sum of eight pounds, and had been forged from eight to eighty pounds. The accused was brought before Judge CONROY on yesterday and sent to jail to await his trial in the November term of the Supreme Court.----St. John's Mercury, June 13.
Jun. 23, 1882Stabbing AffairSerious Stabbing Affair on the Queen's Wharf.---- Between ten and eleven o'clock last night a disturbance occurred on the Queen's Wharf, resulting in serious injury to Edwin CONNOLLY, one of the crew of the American fishing schooner "David A. Storey." It seems several seaman belonging to the different vessels anchored in the stream were assembled on the wharf, and , some of them being more or less under the influence of intoxicating drink, it required very little provocation to bring on a row. Accordingly, an altercation arouse, during which one of the men drew a knife and stabbed CONNOLLY in the left breast, inflicting a wound more than an inch long, the blade of the knife penetrating to the bone. The injured party fell on the wharf, where he received two or three kicks from his friends after the stabbing. Subsequently he was taken on board the 'David A. Storey' by his shipmates and properly cared for. Dr. Shea, who was promptly in attendance, stitched up the wound, which he pronounced to be a serious one, but not likely to prove fatal. Had the passage of the knife not been intercepted, it is more than probable the worst possible consequences would have speedily followed. As usual, the police remained in the background until peace had been restored by mutual consent.----St. John's Telegram, June 15.
Jun. 23, 1882London Steamer SinksHeart's Content, June 16: The schooner Florella, of Harbor Grace, has just arrived with a cargo of coal to the Telegraph station here. She is from Sydney and five days on her passage down. She brought in the boatswain and crew of London Steamer Pera. They were picked up in a boat about thirty-two miles south-east by east of Cape Race. The boatswain tells the following story of this latest Marine tragedy:---On the 31st ultimo the steamer Pera, Captain CHRISTIE, master, left Montreal for London, laden with a cargo of deals and cattle. The steamer called at Quebec, where only a slight delay occurred. The voyage was resumed under very favourable circumstances but soon became tedious and uncertain owing to the prevalence of dense fogs and the presence of numerous icebergs, besides many fragments of ice broken off these bergs while aground on the shoals. On Friday last, while passing Langley Island, the steamer grounded on a sand back at low water, but after a few hours detention floated off at high tide. The voyage was now progressing favourably enough, till Saturday evening, at eight o'clock, when the Pera running at full speed, dashed headlong into an iceberg. The Stroke was terrific. The steamer was actually cut in through the hull as far as the foremast. She filled with fearful rapidity and sank in less than five minutes. Barely sufficient time was given to cut away the boats and put them in the water. Three boats were lowered. The long boat was in charge of Captain CHRISTIE and contained beside him the first officer and thirteen of the crew. The second officer and twelve men were in the second boat, and the boatswain and ten men were in the rescued or third boat. Towards night the boats separated. All were pulling towards the direction of Cape Race. When morning dawned and the Welcome Florella hove in sight, neither of the other boats was visible. It was however so densely foggy that they might have been within a few hundred fathoms of the schooner and remain unobserved. At the time of the terrible collision with the berg it was blowing a strong southerly breeze and there was a dangerous choppy sea on at the time. The boatswain and the Captain of the Florella express the opinion that the chances of safety for the two missing boats are very good as they were in the track of the Gulf boats now running east and west almost every day. The great danger to be feared was the prevailing fog and the large quantity of scattered ice in the neighbourhood of the disaster. The wind was favourable for the boats to reach the Cape Race Shore, but unfortunately that shore would be a lee one and there would probably be a heavy sea heaving home against the land. But a very small quantity of water and provisions were scrambled into three boats.
Jun. 23, 1882BirthsBEATON----At the Congregational Parsonage, St. John's, on the 18th ult., the wife of the Rev. D. BEATON, of a son.
Jun. 23, 1882BirthsCOURTNEY----At Little Bay Mines, on the 32 ult., the wife of Mr. John COURTNEY, of a daughter.
Jun. 23, 1882MarriagesAt Fortune Harbor, on the 4th inst., by the Rev. S. FLYNN, P.P., of Little Bay, Mr. Thomas LANNEN of Fortune Harbor, to Julia FRANCIS, second daughter of Michael DWYER, Esq., Carbonear.
Jun. 23, 1882DeathsAt Tilt Cove, on the 13th April, of diphtheria, Alberta A., daughter of Mr. Michael SLATTERY, age 12 years and 7 months.
Jun. 23, 1882DeathsAt Tilt Cove, on the 15th April, of diphtheria, Edwin, youngest son of Capt. H. WEBSTER, age 9 years and 7 months.

Jun. 27, 1882DrowningAccident-----In the last paper a short account was given concerning a boat that was picked up off Fortune Harbor. Since then we have been kindly furnished with the exact particulars. "A sad accident occurred somewhere between Fleury's Bight and Fortune Harbor, on Thursday, 15th. inst. A man named Thomas DAY, left Leading Tickles for Exploits early in the morning of the day in question. He was seen crossing New Bay. The wind was blowing fresh at the time, but not sufficient to endanger a punt running free. About 9 a.m., as a man named Joseph FOLEY and his brother were crossing from Indian Cove to Fortune Harbor, they saw a boat apparently unoccupied, drifting with the sail flapping in the wind. They rowed up to her and as they surmised found no one in her. They then moored the drifting punt and rowed along shore, but could see no vestige of the unfortunate man. As a paddle was not very far from the boat the probability is that the man had not long before fallen into the water. After a fruitless search for the missing man they returned to the punt and towed her into Indian Cove to await a claimant. On Wednesday, 21st inst., a man named George MARSH, of Leading Tickles went to see the boat. He found it to be the one which he had lent to Mr. May on the previous Wednesday. There is therefore no doubt but that the poor fellow found a watery grave, when off Fortune Harbor. He was a respectable man---- by trade a Cabinet-maker. He spent several years at Messrs. WINSOR & VALLANCE'S saw mill, where he bore a good character as a tradesman, but last autumn moved to Seal Bay Mine, where he was also well liked by all with whom he came in contact. His death has cast a gloom over the place, especially as his wife came down to join him after a winter in St. John's, by last Plover. Instead of meeting him at Seal Bay, she heard there was sad news of his death soon after her arrival. Besides his wife he leaves a mother and other relatives to mourn his loss, who deserve every sympathy in this, their sorrowing hour.
Jun. 27, 1882Newfoundlanders AbroadOur thanks are due to Mr. F. PHILLIPS of Toronto, Ontario, for copies of the Evening Globe and other Canadian papers, received two mails since. Mr. Phillips is a native of Twillingate, and left here about 1867. By industry and perseverance he worked himself ahead, as Newfoundlanders generally do in foreign countries, and he now occupies a first-class position as Builder, Contractor, Land-valuator, &c., with houses to sell and rent. In a private letter to our address he remarks:---"Although being away from my native place, yet it has some charms that memory refuses to eradicate from my being. I am sure it gives me pleasure to be able to read in the Twillingate Sun the items that are interesting to me as no other can." We fully reciprocate the good wishes which he also expressed for the welfare of the SUN, and wish him still greater success in the future. We are also pleased to note that Mr. W.E. THOMPSON, of Harbour Grace, a graduate of McGill College, Montreal, lately took his diploma as M.D., and soon afterwards received an appointment as medical officer of the Canadian & Pacific Railway Company. In mentioning it, a late member of the Harbor Grace Standard says:---- "The friends of our respected townsman, W.H. THOMPSON, who has recently taken his diploma as M.D., at McGill college, Montreal, has been appointed a medical officer of the Canadian & Pacific Railway Company. We congratulate our young friend on his good fortune."
Jun. 27, 1882Shipping NewsThe Young Builder, Captain Andrew ROBERTS, returned from White Bay on Thursday, the 20th inst., where she was engaged on a trading speculation for J.H. TOBIN, Esq., for a few weeks.
Jun. 27, 1882Shipping NewsThe Vivid, belonging to Messrs HODDER & LINFIELD, arrived from the French Shore on Wednesday having been employed there in a similar venture, and was fairly successful. She brought back about 300 seals, and left for St. John's on Friday morning last. Mr. LINFIELD proceeding in her. Up to the time the Vivid left that part of the coast, there was a very poor sign of fish.
Jun. 27, 1882Shipping NewsThe Branksea arrived from St. John's on Sunday afternoon with provisions &c., for Messrs. WATERMAN & Co.
Jun. 27, 1882Shipping NewsThe Mary Parker returned yesterday with full cargo for the firm of E. DUDER, Esq., having made the trip in eight days. We are indebted to a friend for late papers received by her.
Jun. 27, 1882PersonalThe Rev. Father FLYNN came here per last Plover from Little Bay, and has been spending a few days at the residence of J.B. TOBIN, Esq., J.P. During the past winter, the Rev. gentleman's ministerial labors were confined almost entirely to that part of the parish, where his devotedness to sacred duties, and usual happy disposition, won for him the esteem of all classes, as was manifested in a communication from Little Bay, which lately appeared in our columns.
Jun. 27, 1882PersonalJ.B. BLANDFORD, Esq., Stipendiary Magistrate for Little Bay, also arrived by same steamer.
Jun. 27, 1882PersonalThe Rev. Wm. TEMPLE, who came from White Bay a few days before, took passage for St. John's by return of last steamer.
Jun. 27, 1882PersonalThe fishery around this locality has not improved anything of late. Caplin have been plentiful.
Jun. 27, 1882Shipping NewsThe coastal steamer Plover arrived back enroute for St. John's, about midnight on Thursday. The following passengers came here by her:----Rev. Father FLYNN, Mr. BLANDFORD and daughters (2), Messrs. LOCKYER and ARNOTT, Mrs. KENDALL, Mrs. ROBERTS, and Miss ROBERTS, and four in steerage. For St. John's----Rev. Mr. MYERS, Rev. J. PARKINS, Messrs. KELLY, and WILSON, and Mrs. SLATTERY. For Trinity---Rev. H.C.H. JOHNSON. From Twillingate for St. John's---Rev. Wm. TEMPLE, Mrs. CANTWELL and son.
Jun. 27, 1882Ice Scarce NowThe ice is beginning to get scarce but there are still some strings about in the Bay. The Plover passed a little between Seal Bay and Cape John. There were 42 Labrador vessels ice bound in Webber's Bight on the 18th and 19th inst.
Jun. 27, 1882Fishery News----The fishery this morning by hook and line off the harbor, outside Cape Spear, and along the shore toward Petty Harbor was disheartening in the extreme. The boats with two and three hands, which went out at 12:30 a.m. returned to port at six and seven this morning with scarcely a dozen fish each, many of which even no larger than tom-cods. The supply for daily consumption was wholly unequal to the demand.--- St. John's Evening Mercury, June 23.
Jun. 27, 1882DeathDAY----Drowned off Fortune Harbor, on the 15th inst., Thomas, son of the late Capt. DAY, aged 35 years.
Jun. 27, 1882Shipping NewsPort of Twillingate. Entered.--- June 26.--- Voyager, Samuel DOWN, Master, Liverpool, 28 days, general cargo---J.B. TOBIN.
Jun. 27, 1882Marine NOTICEAll Schooners or other Sailing Vessels, as per Merchant Shipping Act before leaving port for the Labrador (or elsewhere), should have her name marked on each of her bows (or quarter), and her name, and the name of the port of registry, shall be marked on her stern, on a dark background in white or yellow letters, or on a light background in black letters. Such letters to be of a length of not less than four Inches and of proportionate breadth. Any person or owner not complying with the Act shall be liable to a heavy fine; and any officer of the Customs may detain the same until the name of every ship (or vessel) is properly marked. F. BERTEAU, Stipendiary Magistrate. Court-House, Twillingate, April 14, 1882.

June 30, 1882SchoonerThe schooner Moon Light, belonging to Mr. Henry MOORS of St. Anthony, bound to St. John's, put into port on the 22nd. inst. Mr. Moors left that part of the coast on Saturday, the 17th inst., and passed here on the following Tuesday. He got as far as Seldom-Come-By when the wind veered against him, and having about 2,500 seals on board, he deemed it advisable to come here to land them fearing that a tedious time to St. John's and the warm weather might cause them to run. The seals landed from the Minot Light were of a good quality, averaging a quintal and a half. One dog harp weighed over 240 lbs. When Mr. MOORS left St. Anthony, that part of the coast was free from ice, but there was a very poor sign of fish. One or two had been caught about Goose Cove. All the French fleet had arrived; so far as could be ascertained, the number this year will exceed no more than last.
June 30, 1882FisheryThe operations around our shore the past week have been well nigh a failure. In a few instances traps have done a little, but none whatever had been secured by hook and line. We understand that they have done pretty well with traps about Exploits, but the results with hook and line men have been as bad as in our own vicinity. It is said that fish were plentiful on the ground. Salmon have been very scarce up to date.
June 30, 1882New CraftFour craft were launched at Exploits within the last few weeks, namely - C.A.M. for Mr. Josiah MANUEL, J.P.; the Vido for Mr. Andrew PEARCE, J.A.M. Lacey for Mr. Richard LACEY, John Whitford for Mr. Thomas A. WINSOR, J.P. Four or five were also launched at Morton's Harbor, for Messrs. M. OSMOND, J.P., Thomas FRENCH and Samuel SMALL, respectively. One of the schooners built by FRENCH was for Mr. Reuben BLACKMORE of this town.
June 30, 1882Boat Picked UpCape Race, noon - On Tuesday last another boat - presumably a steamers boat - was picked up at Frenchman's Cove, seven miles Northeast of the Cape. There were patent rowlocks in the boat but no oars. There were pieces of copper tacked on each side of the bow. The men who came from Frenchman's Cove, say that in every respect she is like the boat picked up at Cripple Cove. There are flags painted on them but they have not been identified. I have not yet seen the boats. It is thought here that both these boats belong to some steamer that came to grief against an iceberg either South or East of Cape Race. Both boats appears to have been in the water only a short time. - Special to Evening Telegram, June 23.
June 30, 1882Loss of SchoonerThe Silver Stream, John LOCKE, master, was lost off Cape John on the 15th inst. She left the Horse Islands on the 4th. April to prosecute the seal fishery. When off the Gray Islands her bowsprit and head gear were carried away, and she had to put back to repair damages, and left again on the 15th, running some 50 to 60 miles to sea, where very heavy ice was met with, carrying away sheathing and sustaining other injuries, so that they had to go to Tilt Cove for repairs. After leaving there the Silver Stream reached as far as Quirpoon, where she was jammed two weeks. While crossing White Bay on the way home, the ice being very heavy, her stem-plate was carried away, and having had to pass through rough ice afterwards the stem was not able to endure the collisions therewith, so that she became leaky and afterwards sank. It was fortunate that there was but little sea running at the time, otherwise life would have been in jeopardy. One time the Silver Stream was quite near the seals and had it not been for the mishap which befell her, the master thinks that a good catch would have been secured.
June 30, 1882FisheryThe schooner Emeline belonging to the firm of Messrs. Waterman & Co., called here from Nipper's Harbor, on the Wednesday night on her way to St. John's. The reports of the fishery from the Cape Shore and further North seem to be more encouraging than they were a week ago. There appeared to be a good deal of fish on the grounds and in some parts traps were doing well, but nothing, comparatively, was being done with the hook and line.
June 30, 1882SteamerThe Hercules gone to Sydney - The St. John's Evening Telegram, of the 23rd inst., (received per Mary Parker) says: - "The steamer Hercules left for Sydney at 2 o'clock this afternoon, for the purpose of undergoing a thorough overhauling preparatory to entering on the Labrador mail service."
June 30, 1882WeatherThe last few days the weather has been very cold and ungenial for the time of year. For a short time it was real pleasant and summer-like, but the North-East winds and fogs have created such a chilliness in the atmosphere that one would almost imagine we have since passed into autumn.
June 30, 1882Methodist ChurchThe Rev. J. PINCOCK of Morton's Harbor, will preach, D.V., in the Northside and Southside Methodist Churches, alternately, on Sunday next, morning and evening. In the afternoon he will conduct a preaching service at Little Harbor.
June 30, 1882LumberThe schooner Voyager, arrived here on Tuesday last with a cargo of lumber from Point Limington Saw Mill. This is being landed near the Coastal Wharf and will be sold cheap by Mr. Hames HODDER.
June 30, 1882Accident at Fortune HarborIn account of the accident reported in last paper, which occurred near Fortune Harbor, the name of the unfortunate man should have read WAY and not DAY as was printed.
June 30, 1882BusinessThe machinery for a fish-manure manufactory to be erected at a settlement on Labrador, is now being constructed at Mr. GAMMELL's foundry. The enterprise will be carried on by Mr. GAMMELL and another gentleman conjointly. Of all the new-founded industries now so flourishing amongst us, this the last, has in it more certainties of success than any, for the offal which constitutes the material of manufacture may be had on the Labrador especially, almost for the cost of carriage. When the machinery is completed, further particulars respecting the mode of manufacture will be furnished to the readers of the Mercury. - Evening Mercury, June 23.
June 30, 1882MiningWe are glad to find from the letter written by a Carbonear correspondent and published in another column, that a mineral discovery of a very promising character apparently has been made near the thriving town. The specimen forwarded is certainly excellent, showing lead ore, seemingly of good quality, and which on analysis may possibly be found to contain silver. The formations around Carbonear are such as warrant the expectation of finding ore, which now appear to be realized. A lead mine, if at all productive, is much more valuable than a copper mine. We trust no time will be lost in testing the new discovery. - Ibid, June 16.
June 30, 1882Loss of SchoonerThe schooner Cremore, belonging to Mr. John BOBBET of Burgeo left Sydney, C.B., on the 6th instant, for the former port. All went well until the 8th, when she ran against the rocks near Burgeo, and the crew were obliged to leave her. Owing to the dense fog prevailing at the time, they had no warning of their dangerous proximity to the land until the schooner struck. Consequently they had a very narrow escape. Shortly after being abandoned, the Cremore drifted clear and disappeared in the fog. - Evening Telegram, June 14.

Name in RecordDescription of ErrorMy Name
February 24, 1882 The man married was Jessie Locke, according to Vol-91 Methodist Marriages of Little Bay Islands, not James. Oscar Locke

© Jack Montgomery, Beverly Warford, George White and NL GenWeb