From The Twillingate Sun of March 7, 1885:


From a Journal kept by Mr. Robert HAGGETT, Master of the SS. Hiram Perry, on a Journey from Little Bay to Twillingate and back, in the month of January last, 1885.


Myself, my son George HAGGETT, James STILES, and William RENDELL, having been sent by the Manager of the Mining Company down to Twillingate, we started from Little Bay with a slide and dogs on the 6th January. We traveled on, first to Hall’s Bay Head, and from there walked on the ice to Sunday Cove Island, remaining there that night. Next day, 7th of January, traveled to Robert’s Arm and down through Pretty Tickle to Dark Island Tickle and reached Julia’s Tickle next day, all well. On January 9th at Duck Island, we launched a boat and pulled to Leading Tickles. Here I found my brother Joseph, had gone in punt gunning, and he returned soon after with about 45 fine fat ducks.

Left Leading Tickles on the 12th of January. We went from there to Exploits in boat, having rather a rough time from Exploits to Western Head in boat, and stopped there that night. On the 13th left for Twillingate. Found three of our dogs missing, and learned soon afterwards the dogs had arrived safely at Little Bay! After a hard travel across to Bluff Head Cove, we walked over to Twillingate Harbor, hoping to catch the SS Plover to return home in her, when we received the sad news that we were too late, as that steamer had just gone around Long Point. In Twillingate we had to stop a whole week, waiting for a time to leave. Leaving Twillingate on the 21st. of January, we traveled up Friday’s Bay and inside Trump Island to [Chahen ?] Harbor, from there to Swan’s Island and from there to Burn Bay. Weather being very cold and very rough and we couldn’t leave there until the 23rd. of January.

From Swan Island, we traveled up Exploit’s Bay a long distance to a place called Laurence’s Hole, against a strong wind and hard frost, all four of us getting much frost bitten. At this place, being very tired, we looked about for a winter tilt, when we saw a bank of snow and a stove pipe sticking up through, with a great smoke coming from it. I said, “There we are, this is the only place we can put up for the night.” We went in here and found an old woman, a Mrs. PERRY. Her crew were all in the woods, sawing. This old woman was very kind to us and wondered how we could travel in such burning cold weather, and when she saw how badly we were frost bitten, the poor old woman burst into tears!

We applied some oil and Radways to our faces, and had to run out of the tilt with the pain, it being so hot inside, by the fire! One of the crew felt my ears but he would not try to bend it, as he was afraid it might break off short. That night, the people gathered together and had a prayer meeting, and it seemed they were all pretty happy, but as for us, we were in too much pain to join in with them!

Notwithstanding, we left there next morning, the 24th.and crossed the neck to Hatchet Cove in New Bay, and from there to Leading Tickles, and put up there for the night. On the 25th walked up to Thimble Tickles, thence to Lock’s Harbor, Seal Bay, then across the neck to Badger Bay and from there to Julia’s Tickle, and stopped in the Harbor that night.

From there on the 26th January, we crossed Harry’s Cove in Sop’s Arm, from there to Northern Arm, off Sop’s Arm, and across another neck through deep snow to Tilley’s Cove, up through Sunday Cove Tickle, from there across Hall’s Bay to Salt Pond, arriving safe to Little Ward's’ Harbor, and from there to the wharf at Little Bay, all safe and sound but very much fatigued, hungry, tired, and glad.

We passed by many places and people on our journey, but found no sickness, trouble or distress of any kind. All the people in places we passed through, especially those who were passing the winter in the bays, sawing lumber, seemed to enjoy their simple meetings for Prayer in their tilts, better than many who have the opportunity of attending services in their own Churches.