Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Maple Leaf Maple Leaf

Welcome to

The Magnetawan Township Nostalgia Page

Magnetawan, Ontario, Canada

[Cdn Flag]space Twinklerspace space Twinklerspace [Ontario Flag]space Maple Leaf Maple Leaf

*****

1885 -1886

Swing Bridge

Old Swing Bridge

Photograph provided by Wilma Coombs - Description by Ken Raaflaub
View from downstream, the swing bridge constructed circa 1885-86 permitted the steamboats to proceed from
the locks to Ahmic Harbour. The present bridge, built in 1924 ceased its swinging function in 1976

*****

circa 1900

Old Lighthouse

Old Lighthouse on Lake Cecebe

Photograph provided by Wilma Coombs - description by Ken Raaflaub
The Lighthouse was located a short distance above the locks to guide the steamers into the river channel.
After an absence of many years, a replica was built in the late 1990s and can be seen from Hwy 520 near the Distress River

*****

circa 1906

Steamboat Armour

Steamboat Armour

Photograph provided by Wilma Coombs - description by Ken Raaflaub
Pictured leaving Burk's Falls on its run to Magnetawan and Ahmic Harbour.
The Armour grossed 191 tons and was the largest of the steamers to ply the Magnetawan River.

*****

circa 1910

Birds Eye View

Birds Eye View

Photograph provided by Wilma Coombs - description by Ken Raaflaub
Looking south, the locks are at the left, Marina and Anglican church center
United Church and Troyer's store farther right

*****

1910

Magnetawan Post Office

Magnetawan Post Office

Photograph provided by Wilma Coombs - description by Ken Raaflaub
Situated on the West side of North Sparks Street, this building housed the Post Office, telephone switchboard and
residence for the Mac Millan family for many decades until it was destroyed by fire in the early 1950s.

*****

circa 1910

Snugg's Store

Snugg's Store

Photograph provided by Wilma Coombs - description by Ken Raaflaub
Harry Snugg's Store was located immediately at the South end of the swing bridge. The cement steps
which led to the front door are still between the sidewalk and the parking lot at the docks. It was torn down in the 1940s.

*****

1918-1919

Spence 1918 Classes

Spence Country School - Grades 1 through 6

Photograph with names provided by Ken Raaflaub

*****

Circa 1921

Ist Class at No.6 Chapman School (Miller School)

First Class at No.6 Chapman School (Miller School)

Photograph and names provided by Wilma Coombs

*****

Circa 1935

Magnetewan School Senior Room

Magnetewan School Senior Room

Photograph and names provided by Reta Morris

*****

1940

Magnetawan Marina

Magnetawan Marina

Photograph provided by Ken Raaflaub
The picture was most likely taken during the 1940s. The homes across the water on the right side of picture
belonged to Magnetawan families. The left home was owned by G.J. Grunig, long time School Principal and later
the village clerk. On the right was the Kennedy family home.

*****

1943

Taylor's Inn and the J.W. Troyer Store

Taylor's Inn and The J.W. Troyer Store

Photograph provided by Wilma Coombs - description by Ken Raaflaub
Pictured in March 1943, (individual unidentified). After many years in the Taylor / Fleming family and numerous
renovations, the "Magnetawan Inn Restaurant", under new management, is still satisfying appetites
and sweaters from the "Downtown General Store" have been photographed in many parts of the world

*****

1943

Godfrey General Merchant

M.S. Godfrey General Merchant

Photograph provided by Wilma Coombs - description by Ken Raaflaub
Located at the corner of Burrows and North Spark Streets, this store was
operated by the McNights, Godfreys and Shiers before it burned

*****

1950

Spence Country School 1950

Spence Country School

Photograph provided by Ken Raaflaub
Typical rural schools served Grades 1 through 8. Occasionally as in the case of Magnetawan schools
they served Grades 1 to 10 as transportation to high schools was non-existant until after the 1940s.