|This area of Ontario is covered by Brant County GenWeb. The information presented below is merely an outline of the county and does not include what is available for genealogical research for this area. For information on genealogical research of this area please visit Brant County GenWeb.|
Brant County was established in 1852 with townships from the counties of Halton, Oxford and Wentworth.
It was named for Joseph Brant, a Mohawk Chief who fought for the British during the American Revolution. In 1784 he led his people to the Grand River valley where they had been granted land for their loyalty during the war. The land grant covered six miles on each side of the river.
"Before 1650 the area had been inhabitated by the Neutral Nation Indians. The chief village was "Kandoucho", probably in the vicinity of Brantford. In the years 1649-51, the Neutral settlements were destroyed by the Iroquois." 2
In "1871 had a population of 32,259. In 1980 the population is 98,768." 3
Brant County is located in South-Western Ontario.
Prior to 1852 - Wentworth County, Oxford County, Halton County
More maps of this area
Questions & Answers
1 Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America 1873
2 Places In Ontario by Nick & Helma Mika, 1977
3 Place Names of Ontario by Floreen Carter, 1984
5 Place Names of Ontario by Alan Rayburn, 1997